or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release - Page 4

post #121 of 194
since upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 Messages has had problems, Siri is slower than ever, and when creating reminders, it no longer asks when I would like to be reminded, and simply dumps it onto the current day

don't even get me started on iOS 7 on the iPad - my iPad 3 is now as sluggish as molasses
post #122 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


One of the the beauties of Apple products is that you don't need to be a techie to use them. Are you now saying that's not really true and users really should research and be familiar with restoring operating systems and settings? Are you hinting that Apple shouldn't be offering OS updates to begin with but instead be doing full wipe and restores as part of the upgrade process? That's what it sounds like.

Right on.  Remember when all the PC guys spent all their time fixing stuff?  And Apple was "the computer for the rest of us"?  The fact that Apple products required almost no knowledge, were intuitive and therefore simple, and the UI helped us find things instead of obscuring them on an background of white and light gray is what got Apple to be the size they are.  Thank you Steve Jobs. 

SkyKing
Reply
SkyKing
Reply
post #123 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No way in heck do I want my Mac to look like iOS7.

It already kind of started, with the hiding of the ~/Library directory.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #124 of 194
I angers me that Apple appears like a rabbit in the headlights against this repeating meme that "Apple is losing it's magic". Us Apple users and supporters are continually insulted and subjected to inaccurate reports and blogs around every corner; and Apple just doesn't seem to care. They need to get the message that no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media, turning the other cheek just does not work. If someone says a lie often enough, it becomes the truth (remember "weapons of mass distraction"). If Apple does nothing to aggressively defend itself in the new media realm, they will start to see these constant negativity attacks start to hurt them badly. Samsung is a good case in point. They understand that if you saturate the media with your product / brand, people will start believing your message. Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market. And don't be scared of attacking either when you are already under attack.
post #125 of 194
I too am frustrated with iOS7. It might be working fine on iPhone 4S or above but my iPhone 4 has become turtle, really. Every time I do something on it, It reminds me of running Windows Vista on pentium 1 machine, not to mention I have 5 Macs. But my iPhone is now damn slow. It's ridiculous as well that I can't go back to iOS 6. I even ended up with clean install of OS twice but it is darn slow.

But if that's what Apple has planned to force users to buy newer and speedy iPhone then I am at least not going to give $800 every 2 years to Apple for mobile phone.

Why the heck they don't allow users to go back to older OS of their if they want to, just like on Mac. iOS7 might be running perfectly fine on 4S/5 and above but it is not meant to drive iPhone 4.
post #126 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMac View Post

I angers me that Apple appears like a rabbit in the headlights against this repeating meme that "Apple is losing it's magic". Us Apple users and supporters are continually insulted and subjected to inaccurate reports and blogs around every corner; and Apple just doesn't seem to care. They need to get the message that no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media, turning the other cheek just does not work. If someone says a lie often enough, it becomes the truth (remember "weapons of mass distraction"). If Apple does nothing to aggressively defend itself in the new media realm, they will start to see these constant negativity attacks start to hurt them badly. Samsung is a good case in point. They understand that if you saturate the media with your product / brand, people will start believing your message. Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market. And don't be scared of attacking either when you are already under attack.

Why does it anger you? Here's a solution: use and enjoy your apple products. Outside of that, get a life. Simple enough?
post #127 of 194
It's in a newspaper, so no one will see it anyway.
post #128 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

It's in a newspaper, so no one will see it anyway.

You so clever!
post #129 of 194
Originally Posted by MMac View Post
no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media

 

No, it was true in the age of old media, too. Or maybe you think that lemmings actually jump off cliffs because you saw it in a Disney documentary. 

 
Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market.

 

No.

 

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Question (I forget who’s asking it): “What are we going to do about the press? The Wall Street Journal reporters get up, sell Apple short in the morning, and then go write stories about us. And it’s clear it’s a perception versus reality problem. They don’t know shit about operating systems, they don’t know any thing about tools or what’s going on in the future. They don’t know that we’re building icebergs and that we’re building them from the bottom up.”

 

Steve Jobs: “Sure. I’m sure that a lot of you have had this experience where you’re changing; you’re growing as a person. And people tend to treat you like you’re where you were 18 months ago. And it’s really frustrating sometimes when you’re growing up and you’re becoming more capable; you have some personality quirks you’ve gotten rid of. And people still treat you like you were a year to 18 months ago. It can be very frustrating. It’s the same with a company, it’s the same with the press. The press is going to have a lag time. The best thing we can do about the press is embrace them, do the best we can to educate them about the strategy, but to keep the eye on the prize. And that is turning out some great products, communicating with our customers the best we can, getting the community of people–like yourselves–in the loop so you know everything, and just marching forward one foot in front of the other. The press will take care of–it’s like the stock price–the press and the stock price will take care of themselves. By the end of the year, it’s going to look quite different. And I, you know, I’m like an old man in this industry now. I’ve seen the ups and downs, and when you see enough of them, you know that’s going to happen. So when you get up in the morning and you see the press sell Apple short, go out and buy some shares!

 

*later*

 

Question: “So Apple has turned it around. We have you, we have Gil, we have G3, we have Rhapsody, we have Newton… great. When are we gonna see some really kick-ass TV commercials to change the mindset?”

 

Steve Jobs: “Yeah… I feel very good about [Apple turning around]. Um… I’ll give you my own opinion on this. Marketing is a subjective thing. It’s not a science; there’s a lot of art to it. My personal belief is that the medium does communicate a lot about the message. In some cases, the medium overrides the message. And I personally believe that Apple should not be on TV at all this year. It’s the wrong place to be for Apple. What it means is that Apple is trying to spend a lot of money to convince you that everything’s okay. And what I think Apple ought to be doing is taking a fraction of that money and putting it in print. And I don’t mean eight page Wall Street Journal ads. Because an eight page Wall Street Journal ad is saying, “I’m going to spend my wad to show you that I’m back.” And what Apple needs right now is not to be telling everyone we’re back, it needs for the journalists to be saying that Apple is back on page one. Because if on page 7 to 14 Apple’s spending a million dollars to say we’re back but on page one a journalist writes an article saying they’re in the tank, who’re you gonna believe? As a matter of fact, that million bucks on page 7-14 are gonna reinforce the message! “They’ve gotta buy me.”… …”I think that more than anything right now, PR is influencing purchasing decisions in this category”… …”I believe strongly that Apple really needs to talk about its great products and its great customers and its great applications and the best way for it to do that is in print in a very straightforward way. And I also believe very strongly that the high order bid of any market campaign is profitability. We spend a boatload of money marketing ourselves in a quarter and we lose money in that quarter… any positive momentum in that quarter is completely erased. So profitability is the high order bid for Apple at this time.”

 

– Steve Jobs, WWDC 1997.

 

I recommend watching the entirety of Steve’s WWDC ’97 keynote. It is, I think, one of his best. Knowing the future after that speech shows you that he already knew exactly what Apple was going to be.

 

A few things he says–“We’re too proprietary”, “tell the clone makers they can build their own hardware!”, and “milk the Mac for all it’s worth and move on to the next thing” are off. But that’s Steve, you know? He saw that he was wrong and didn’t go down those paths. But he knew where he was right–about everything else!

 

Who cares? Apple has STORES. Samsung has kiosks and, if this is what you’re saying, pays off other companies’ employees to steal sales from Apple.

 

NO. Do you get anything about Apple? Apple has soul. Apple puts its soul into its products, who in turn have soul. These products connect with users because of how they are made. Nothing else, from any other company, does that. And you want Apple to whore itself out to the media?!

 

When we hear that employees of the four telecoms are being paid to sell Android over Apple, I rejoice. Because THEY CAN’T WIN ANY OTHER WAY. They have to sell their souls to sell their products. And Apple products sell themselves.

 

That should never change.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #130 of 194
iOS 7 updates on my iPads have been very good, flawless no but I really like the new look & new features of iOS 7 enough to compromise on my smart phone big screen wants to buy a 5s ETA 10/28 %uD83D%uDC4D
post #131 of 194

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

post #132 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


Why does it anger you? Here's a solution: use and enjoy your apple products. Outside of that, get a life. Simple enough?

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

post #133 of 194

Weird how iOS7 seems to be tailing off at 70%, I wonder if that's normal.  The graph even makes it look as if the proportion of iOS7 devices went down on the last data point.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #134 of 194

When will AI stop taking things like bad reporting and distilling them down to unabashed digs against Google, Samsung and all things Android?  I get it, USA Today article is garbage, but let's hold off on the poo slinging mkay?  Maybe just rename the place to AndroidSucksInsider?

post #135 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


One of the the beauties of Apple products is that you don't need to be a techie to use them. Are you now saying that's not really true and users really should research and be familiar with restoring operating systems and settings? Are you hinting that Apple shouldn't be offering OS updates to begin with but instead be doing full wipe and restores as part of the upgrade process? That's what it sounds like.

Right on.  Remember when all the PC guys spent all their time fixing stuff?  And Apple was "the computer for the rest of us"?  The fact that Apple products required almost no knowledge, were intuitive and therefore simple, and the UI helped us find things instead of obscuring them on an background of white and light gray is what got Apple to be the size they are.  Thank you Steve Jobs. 

For about 15 Years I have always been amazed that the Windows Users see the "blue screen of death" as normal, expect to have to re-install the OS from scratch about 2 to 3 times a year. I have groaned and moaned that I have to use windows at work, like many others on AI probably. After a while it became accepted and they stopped complaining.

 

Apple used to be regarded as "better than that" ... remember "It just works" and all the other claims of superiority ??

 

Now we are getting used to IOS being buggy, updates not working, each release creating as many issues as it solves.

 

I don't see the progress in that. Not at all.

 

But maybe its just "reality" ... after all the programmers and OS Engineers on the market are the only ones available ... whether they go work for Apple, M$, Google or whoever, doesn't seem to make too much difference. Quality always suffers when ROI or Profit is the guiding force in Business.

post #136 of 194
ATTN author, readers of preceding article%u2014I think a very troublesome issue has been raised here that is not limited to just the profiled article. Let's call the USA Today article 'exhibit A' and analyze its relatively mild brand of yellow journalism: nothing really out of the ordinary here%u2014reads like a typical op-ed piece%u2014lopsided argument with word-on-the-street-style anecdotal references but no actual claim of hard data%u2014basically soft journalism with no claim of veracity. Now, allow me to present 'exhibit B', another USA Today offering on the topic of iPads:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2013/10/19/apple-ipad-talking-tech/2996291/
Here is a synopsis:
The author claims to interview people on the street, asking what they want out of a new iPad. Amazingly, the respondents happen to address the generic wish list of items already-expected features (thinness, new design/colors/camera) in almost uncanny sequential order, with the addition of 'usb port', something we probably can't expect in an iPad but know Microsoft loves to spin as a really groundbreaking differentiator in their Surface tablets (as anyone who has seen the new commercial knows). Now the last two paragraphs are the kicker. I'm
not saying USA Today is guilty of abusing their journalistic integrity and trust by writing paid hit pieces for Microsoft under the label of actual news. You can be the judge of that:

"Meanwhile, archrival Microsoft is running an aggressive TV campaign pointing out that its Surface 2 tablet has features the iPad doesn't %u2014 like USB and a lower price, $350 to iPad's $499."

"I thought about buying (an iPad) but haven't done it," says Kim Stoebick, visiting from Albuquerque. The TV commercials are "a big factor for why I'm not going to buy it. I'm looking at the other one, because they have the USB port."
post #137 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMac View Post
 

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

There are much bigger ethical issues in the world than Apple being fairly or unfairly criticized. 

post #138 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 

For about 15 Years I have always been amazed that the Windows Users see the "blue screen of death" as normal, expect to have to re-install the OS from scratch about 2 to 3 times a year. I have groaned and moaned that I have to use windows at work, like many others on AI probably. After a while it became accepted and they stopped complaining.

 

Apple used to be regarded as "better than that" ... remember "It just works" and all the other claims of superiority ??

 

Now we are getting used to IOS being buggy, updates not working, each release creating as many issues as it solves.

 

I don't see the progress in that. Not at all.

 

But maybe its just "reality" ... after all the programmers and OS Engineers on the market are the only ones available ... whether they go work for Apple, M$, Google or whoever, doesn't seem to make too much difference. Quality always suffers when ROI or Profit is the guiding force in Business.

 

Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

 

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #139 of 194
I've been a loyal apple supporter for a long time and have imacs, macbook pro, 4 iphones, 2 apple tv's and 2 ipod touches and an ipad in my household, but at least I can look objectively. Just making a phone call on the iPhone is more difficult. My 77 y.o. mother who has an iPhone 5 is now having trouble with the keyboard to make calls. While pushing the keys to make a call, the delete key is now so small and hard to see. If she makes a mistake, she gets frustrated. When I'm listening to an audiobook, (surprisingly the Steve Jobs book), the book doesn't always pickup where it left off but instead keeps going to a previous spot. While using safari, as I'm going up and down the page, the settings keep showing up and I've got to slide them out of my way to see my page. On the stocks icon, you used to get a stock ticker going across, now you don't get that anymore. I still have not found anything I'm doing better or more efficiently than I used to since I switched to ios7 which really is the bottom line. After finishing Steve Jobs book, I'm seriously concerned about the lack of upcoming innovations from apple at this time. All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time.
post #140 of 194
Hate to break it to you but Google doesn't update any Android phone outside of the Nexus line. It's up to every other OEM to update their phones to the newest version, so your argument about why android phones aren't on the newest version is wrong.
post #141 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Nice idea but it isn't going to happen.  Mr Ive has been waiting for years to get this look and now that Steve Jobs is gone (this time forever) his political pull within the company has given him foll control over the iOS look.  One can only hope he cannot gain control over Maveric (sp?).  This is a really interesting example of how just one man with a vision can change an entire company.  Steve changed Apple for the better.  Mr Ive for the worse.  The single solution is to remove him.

When the football team has a couple of losing seasons you do not replace the players, you replace the coach. 

So how do you define losing for Apple? 9 MM iPhone 5S/5C in the first weekend does not make a loser. I also forgot Jobs designed and engineered everything and the Jony et al were just empty puppets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post


Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.

Keep trolling. No facts to back up this inept opinion.
post #142 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxgurl View Post

Hate to break it to you but Google doesn't update any Android phone outside of the Nexus line. It's up to every other OEM to update their phones to the newest version, so your argument about why android phones aren't on the newest version is wrong.

 

Yes - Google is powerless to solve the issue because it delegated all control to carriers. Didn’t work out well at all. 

post #143 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.
Hi Bylawyer. You may be right about Cook. Remember many people thought that Scott Forestal would eventually become CEO after Jobs. I'm wondering if the whole maps failure was a setup to take him down. Put him in a position development wise where they really don't have time to finish the product. If the product is delayed blame. SF. If its released too early and buggy blame SF. If he takes the responsibility for the problems, they can use it against him so he doesn't get promoted to CEO. If he doesn't fall on his sword force him out like they did. His silence is probably bought through stock vesting agreements.

It's a year later and the iPhone has even more problems (BSOD, accelerometer, battery draining, IOS use ability for many people and incompleteness,, and a 5c misfire). Who's going to take responsibility for these issues? Both Cook and Ive might not have survived with Forestall in charge.
post #144 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Hi Bylawyer. You may be right about Cook. Remember many people thought that Scott Forestal would eventually become CEO after Jobs. I'm wondering if the whole maps failure was a setup to take him down. Put him in a position development wise where they really don't have time to finish the product. If the product is delayed blame. SF. If its released too early and buggy blame SF. If he takes the responsibility for the problems, they can use it against him so he doesn't get promoted to CEO. If he doesn't fall on his sword force him out like they did. His silence is probably bought through stock vesting agreements.

It's a year later and the iPhone has even more problems (BSOD, accelerometer, battery draining, IOS use ability for many people and incompleteness,, and a 5c misfire). Who's going to take responsibility for these issues? Both Cook and Ive might not have survived with Forestall in charge.

Jobs picked Cook. End of story. Forstall wasn't going to be CEO.
post #145 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegean View Post

Why the heck they don't allow users to go back to older OS of their if they want to, just like on Mac. iOS7 might be running perfectly fine on 4S/5 and above but it is not meant to drive iPhone 4.

It may be possible for you to do that. If you kept a backup/restore copy of your iPhone in iTunes, you can restore to that copy if you want, as far as I know.
post #146 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

 

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post


Hi Bylawyer. You may be right about Cook. Remember many people thought that Scott Forestal would eventually become CEO after Jobs. I'm wondering if the whole maps failure was a setup to take him down. Put him in a position development wise where they really don't have time to finish the product. If the product is delayed blame. SF. If its released too early and buggy blame SF. If he takes the responsibility for the problems, they can use it against him so he doesn't get promoted to CEO. If he doesn't fall on his sword force him out like they did. His silence is probably bought through stock vesting agreements.

It's a year later and the iPhone has even more problems (BSOD, accelerometer, battery draining, IOS use ability for many people and incompleteness,, and a 5c misfire). Who's going to take responsibility for these issues? Both Cook and Ive might not have survived with Forestall in charge.

RIght. And there were noooooo problems under Steve Jobs. None whatsoever. Amazing what a selective memory selects. You guys must be stars at your professions with that kind of analytical prowess.

 

Of course, if you knew anything, anything at all about software development (or technology development), you'd know this:

 

- IOS7 wasn't developed just in the year after Forstall left.

- IOS7 is not merely just a facelift which, btw, is extremely popular amongst young people. Only old farts don't appreciate it. Such old farts, to be quite blunt, have diminishing say about what the future is about.

 

And if your memory wasn't so short-termed, you'd remember that

- There have been problems with almost every generation of iPhone.

- Jobs had to reduce the price of the first iPhone.

- Every year sees a new manufacturing record for Apple in terms of units amid a manufacturing landscape where capacity problems are compounded by Samsung also manufacturing nearly as many. The challenge is simply far greater than a few years ago. Yet Apple keeps churning out a new version of the iPhone every year. Even the tock version of this so-called tick-tock cycle has new features that requires adjustment to the assembly line.

 

You guys really aren't qualified to whine. Please stop.


Edited by StruckPaper - 10/20/13 at 4:46am
post #147 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

It may be possible for you to do that. If you kept a backup/restore copy of your iPhone in iTunes, you can restore to that copy if you want, as far as I know.
Unfortunately for the OP that isn't possible. The backup may be there but Apple is no longer signing 6.x so his phone won't be activated.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #148 of 194

I felt there was something glitchy when I put iOS7 on my iPh5 too, so I did a complete restore through iTunes. It's been much better.
I believe the graphics haven't been optimised or something. I hope it works out!

post #149 of 194
I don't like iOS 7 on my iPad mini - it makes me feel sick and wheezy, as others have commented too. I prefer iOS 6 ... I wish I could go back. If anyone has a way of doing a fresh install or whatever to put iOS 6 back, please let me know if that is possible.
post #150 of 194
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post
it makes me feel… …wheezy

 

Just take deep breaths when using it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #151 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleo View Post

"I thought about buying (an iPad) but haven't done it," says Kim Stoebick, visiting from Albuquerque. The TV commercials are "a big factor for why I'm not going to buy it. I'm looking at the other one, because they have the USB port."

A proper USB port on the iPad would be wonderful ... In my case, I would like connect it to wired ethernet - rather than wireless - because I hate needlessly radiating my brain and body with wireless crap, when I have a faster wired ethernet connection right next to me.  [And no, I don't use a mobile phone either - and certainly not next to my head.]

post #152 of 194
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post
A proper USB port on the iPad would be wonderful ... In my case, I would like connect it to wired ethernet - rather than wireless - because I hate needlessly radiating my brain and body with wireless crap, when I have a faster wired ethernet connection right next to me.  [And no, I don't use a mobile phone either - and certainly not next to my head.]

 

Please be joking.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #153 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMac View Post

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

I understand this sentimental completely. People with ethic has a somewhat hard time in this day and age where anything can be said and heard
post #154 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsal View Post

I'm seriously concerned about the lack of upcoming innovations from apple at this time. All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time.

LOL. The innovation card again? If you can not see what innovation iphone 5s brings (fingerprint scanning to the mass for example) then sorry, you have lost it. Maybe someone like you is more suitable to faux innovation like Google Glass.
post #155 of 194
Originally Posted by rsal View Post
kool aid

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

 
I’ve been a loyal apple supporter for a long time and have iMacs, macbook pro, 4 iPhones, 2 apple tv's and 2 ipod touches and an ipad in my household, but...

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

 
…I’m seriously concerned…

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

 
…lack of upcoming innovations…

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

 
All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time. 

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #156 of 194
Consulting firms say what they are paid to say. They have about the same ethics as politicians. They do expensive research when they know the result that they are supposed to get and then cook the numbers or rig the research so that they get the result they are paid to get.

Consulting firms are about honest as politicians and car salesmen. I have no idea why people believe anything consulting firms tell them.

I have IOS 7 on an iPhone 4S and battery life is better than IOS 6 and I've had zero crashes. The only thing I had a problem with was changing the wallpaper - it was slow, but how often do I do that?
post #157 of 194

Who even believes most newspapers in the first place?  They all have a bias towards whoever owns the paper.  A paper owned by the Koch brothers is not going to report anything about the Koch brothers in a negative light.

post #158 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Just take deep breaths when using it.

 

I've been through this several times: it is not that simple and it is certainly not a laughing matter.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #159 of 194
iOS7 is very annoying, because of ...

- Bugs, bugs, bugs and some more bugs.
- Control Center is much overloaded, so you switch things on and off unintentionally.
- Control Center has very low contrast. Depending on the background it is sometimes impossible to recognize a symbol.
- Control Center is nearly not accessible if you have your device in a casing with a frame around the screen.
- You often open Control Center accidentally while scrolling upwards.
- Many Icons have strange colors which are either too blurry or too flashy.
- Many Icons have a strange design which has nothing to do with its function, e.g. Game-Center, Reminders, Photos, etc.
- The Flat icon design looks either old fashioned or very primitive.
- Transparency or translucency destroys contrast.
- 3D- or moving-effects have no benefit, but they can cause dizziness.
- The new picker looks like a newbie draft.
- Folders can only hold 9 icons in one screen (16 in iOS6 on the iPhone, 20 on the iPad). So, if you do not need more than 16 (20) icons in a group and that is most common So it's easier with iOS6.
- Missing buttons (now plain text) make it difficult to find the functions. Often you do not know if something hides a function or if it's just a name, title or description.
- Switches look like cheap prototypes.
- Several functions are only usable if you KNOW exactly where to find them. There is no chance for an unfamiliar user.
- Calculator has no memory buttons in normal mode.
- Calculator buttons are not enough separated.
- The Notes-app has a very dazzling background color and is not as eye-friendly as the old paper-like look of iOS6.
- The Calendar is confusing and not well-arranged.
- Fonts are much too thin and therefore often difficult to read.
- The new whole-screen-unlock-function bears the risk of unlocking the phone unintentionally in ones pocket.
- You have to swipe down to find the Spotlight-search. Often you open an App or scroll down a list or open the Notification Center unintentionally instead of opening the Spotlight-search.
- The Spotlight-search is less powerful than before. In iOS6 you can search the Web.
- The preview in the task list is mostly useless. If you only want to change an App, and that is what you do most with the task list you have less Apps in view and more to scroll between.
- Media-controls are often more difficult to access.
- Figuring out the New-App indicator is much harder.
- It's more difficult to switch to contact details from a text message.
... and many more ...

For years, I recommended iOS to friends, colleagues and many more because it was a 'safe harbor' contrary to Android. Now it's a real mess and not worth for an Apple device. Shame on Apple.
Edited by Steve Cologne - 10/20/13 at 2:23pm
post #160 of 194
IOS 7 is not as well preped as previous versions were, I think if all the main bugs were gone, I would wait a year (6 months in good) to release such a thing, still with IOS 7 as a much more minor update in between.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release