or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › The mysterious failure of Apple's iPhone 5c
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The mysterious failure of Apple's iPhone 5c - Page 4

post #121 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Cherry picked benchmarks. Heavy spin. Pretending a plasticized year old phone is still a flagship. Being an Apple Apologist must be tiring. There's a lot to apologize for lately.

hey look it's scott.

trolling on Cnet mustn't have been enough for you huh?

account created:yesterday.

Exactly how much has samsung paid you for this*

 

 

*If you are who I think you are.

otherwise just ignore the post.

post #122 of 213
Constable Odo gives an emblematic example of the perfidy and stupidity that Apple is up against.

Most of the negative posters here also completely miss the point of DED's article. It's about anti-Apple "journalism," people.
post #123 of 213
It isn't mysterious at all. The 5c is last years iPhone 5 in a new cheaper to make case. I do like the 5c but for the price difference the 5s is the better buy imo.
post #124 of 213
I believe Apple is doing precisely what they set out to do. Mainly, to have the 5c take some sales away from other Android phones, but not be attractive enough to cannibalise their own 5s phones. Most people who see the $100 as "not that much of a reduction" are being upsold to the 5s which I believe is exactly what Apple set out to do. I suspect if the 5c was more than $100 cheaper than the 5s (or came in an elegant black colour), you would see a lot more 5c phones sold and less 5s phones sold which would lower the average price per unit of their 'iPhones'. If the 5c was a HUGE success and the 5s flopped, analysts would still be screaming about Apple's margins and decreasing profits due to selling more of a cheaper phone.

As to colour: Apple again designed this precisely to appeal to iPhone users' children and not they themselves. For themselves, they would not be caught dead with a pink or blue phone, but would buy the more sophisticated-looking 5s.

As to material (plastic): Because of the lower material and manufacturing cost, in addition to appealing to a younger audience, Apple can afford to lower the cost of the phone in the future (or for emerging markets if needed). It is something they calibrate with time. The discounts we saw are precisely that. Apple has the luxury to lower the cost and maintain healthy margins because it is a smaller slice of the overall 'iPhone' pie that they sell.

Brilliant strategy.
post #125 of 213
Quote:
Looking for facts to support a belief
Quote:
If you're thinking the Xbox doesn't belong in Microsoft's list of commercial failures, keep in mind that it consumed over $8 billion in capital subsidizing its sales before selling near break-even, and it cost the company another $1.2 billion in unanticipated warranty costs related to its 54.2% hardware failure rate. The Surface has actually been a much less expensive experiment. 

 

I sometimes wonder whether DED is an elaborate parody account. Under a section entitled 'Looking for facts to support a belief' he trots out a 54.2% hardware failure rate for the Xbox 360. This number is not based on official figures or any kind of academic research; it's based on a single poll of Xbox 360 users on an internet forum. It's such a dodgy source that DED no longer even links to it.

 

The lack of self awareness is staggering.

post #126 of 213
another article with AppleInsider defending Apple. You guys should become their lawyers
post #127 of 213

The iPhone 5C allows much higher 5S production due to not sharing the aluminium casing, which is the slowest point of production. Which allows the 5S, highest margin iPhone to sell much more then it usually launch.

 

The 5C also has higher margin then if Apple put 5 in the middle. So now which ever model consumers buys, 5C or 5S, Apple is marking roughly the same margin on both.

 

To put it this way, Those who decided to buy an iPhone, will either dislike the 5C and buy a slightly more expensive 5S. or be price sensitive and bought an 5C. From Financial point of view it makes no difference. Apple is making the same margin on both. And Apple is selling way more iPhones then they did same time last year. 

post #128 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This article was a lot of hot air. Why did the author feel the need to compare the 5C to the surface? Completely different devices.
There's no information to prove the 5C is a commercial success. I wouldn't necessarily call it a failure but the cut in orders for the device speaks volumes about its "success". Sales of 5C are obviously below Apple's expectations.
We don't know if that's true.

Honestly it looks like the opposite to me. Since Apple produced a ton of 5Cs and has advertised the device exclusively, it looks to me they intented for the device to sell at a high rate.

We don't know which phone they anticipated to sell more of but from the looks of Apple's actions I can guess they thought the 5C would take off and become the "every man's" iPhone.

At this point that's not happening.
I agree that the 5Cs current sales performance is probably disappointing to Apple.

It seems like a decent device but it will forever be seen as overpriced. Apple probably won't make a move with the price, but I think that's the number 1 detractor for the device.

What sales performance are you referring to? Do you have Apple sales figures no one else has? And when did Apple say they were cutting production orders for the 5C. I missed that announcement.
post #129 of 213
Really not a mystery at all. If i saw it coming, why didn't Apple. Because they are losing touch with their customers. Their marketing team is losing their edge. Apple is known for good build quality, not perfect but overall solid. If you could afford an iPhone, why would you want a "cheap" looking plastic version. The colors are too "easter egg". If they really wanted to shake the table, they should have put out the bright colorful metallic versions similar to nano. The 5s is marketed toward China. The fast growing Chinese middle class and upper class will want the more expensive models to show off their wealth. And gold and red is the favorite color. The price point for a 5c is still unaffordable for most in China. There is the ultra rich and the ultra poor, and a growing middle class in China that's it. Apple feels they have the US/Western market locked in.
post #130 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

another article with AppleInsider defending Apple. You guys should become their lawyers
If you prefer an Apple fan site that isn't pro Apple then you need to go to MacRumors or 9to5Mac.
post #131 of 213
I'm not sure where 'failure' is applied to Apple when it isn't Apple who has reduced prices. All the discounts, as far as I can tell, are being given by retailers, and usually with a deal of some sort that benefits their businesses.

It's always a amazing that there seems to be a standard for Apple to adhere to, yet there is a different standard for other companies: I'm not sure if anyone using the word 'failure' has yet defined this in concrete or objective terminology.

How about a product fails if:
Products stay in inventory and are not moved within two months
Products' prices are removed to shift inventory
Product provides no revenue/makes a loss

Some of the larger players in the market are experiencing this, such as the Surface, and perhaps in some countries, some of the phablet makers, but an Apple mobile device....?

In any case, I love the editorials!
post #132 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassimj View Post

I believe Apple is doing precisely what they set out to do. Mainly, to have the 5c take some sales away from other Android phones, but not be attractive enough to cannibalise their own 5s phones. Most people who see the $100 as "not that much of a reduction" are being upsold to the 5s which I believe is exactly what Apple set out to do. I suspect if the 5c was more than $100 cheaper than the 5s (or came in an elegant black colour), you would see a lot more 5c phones sold and less 5s phones sold which would lower the average price per unit of their 'iPhones'. If the 5c was a HUGE success and the 5s flopped, analysts would still be screaming about Apple's margins and decreasing profits due to selling more of a cheaper phone.

As to colour: Apple again designed this precisely to appeal to iPhone users' children and not they themselves. For themselves, they would not be caught dead with a pink or blue phone, but would buy the more sophisticated-looking 5s.

As to material (plastic): Because of the lower material and manufacturing cost, in addition to appealing to a younger audience, Apple can afford to lower the cost of the phone in the future (or for emerging markets if needed). It is something they calibrate with time. The discounts we saw are precisely that. Apple has the luxury to lower the cost and maintain healthy margins because it is a smaller slice of the overall 'iPhone' pie that they sell.

Brilliant strategy.

You are simply making things up.

Brilliant strategy?

Why would Apple not want the 5C to sell well? They've poured hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising into the 5C and they've produced millions of units that they probably expected to sell.

Your statements can't be validated because of those two massive facts.

Apple's margins on the 5C and 5S seem to be the same percentage-wise so the motion that the 5C's sole job is to sell more 5Ss seems to be a pretty big stretch to me.

Also looking at the "Hello" ad it seems as if Apple wanted the 5C to have a wide appeal to everyone. In the ad people from all different walks of life had 5Cs making the 5C to represent the iPhone for everyone.

The 5C's current sales are a disappointment and it hasn't reached the desired appeal Apple wanted.

This wouldn't have been an issue if it were offered cheaper ($450 8GB model), but at this point it looks like Apple is simply going to cut production and learn from this mistake.
post #133 of 213

I'm not sure where 'failure' is applied to Apple when it isn't Apple who has reduced prices. All the discounts, as far as I can tell, are being given by retailers, and usually with a deal of some sort that benefits their businesses.

 

It's always a amazing that there seems to be a standard for Apple to adhere to, yet there is a different standard for other companies: I'm not sure if anyone using the word 'failure' has yet defined this in concrete or objective terminology.

 

How about a product fails if:

Products stay in inventory and are not moved within two months

Products' prices are removed to shift inventory

Product provides no revenue/makes a loss

 

Some of the larger players in the market are experiencing this, such as the Surface, and perhaps in some countries, some of the phablet makers, but an Apple mobile device....?

 

In any case, I love the editorials!

post #134 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJim View Post

Really not a mystery at all. If i saw it coming, why didn't Apple. Because they are losing touch with their customers. Their marketing team is losing their edge. Apple is known for good build quality, not perfect but overall solid. If you could afford an iPhone, why would you want a "cheap" looking plastic version. The colors are too "easter egg". If they really wanted to shake the table, they should have put out the bright colorful metallic versions similar to nano. The 5s is marketed toward China. The fast growing Chinese middle class and upper class will want the more expensive models to show off their wealth. And gold and red is the favorite color. The price point for a 5c is still unaffordable for most in China. There is the ultra rich and the ultra poor, and a growing middle class in China that's it. Apple feels they have the US/Western market locked in.
Have you actually held a 5C in your hand? Or are you just going off "looks"? Because I have and the phone feels amazing. In fact I know people who would prefer the 5S innards and touch id with a 5C build. Oh and Vogue.com just featured the 5C matching up the phones with recent runway fashions (clothes that are incredibly expensive). One can complain that the 5C colors are geared too much towards women but I don't think Apple just blindly threw darts at the wall to pick colors. In fact I just read an article the other day about someone from Pantone who was talking quite favorably about the 5C colors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I think the 5C is all about product differentiation. This is Apple creating a new product line for iPhones. The flagship device is the more premium looking device with top of the line specs. The mid range device is cheaper and more colorful and more easy to produce by Apple. I think there are valid arguments that the 5C should be cheaper, especially off contract. Apple won't disclose 5C sales on their earnings call but I'm sure Tim will be asked about it and iPhone margins and ASPs should give us some color on how the device is doing. And honestly if Apple needs to drop the price that isn't the end of the world. And not a huge embarrassment because its not like they haven't done it before. They did it with the original iPhone. And have done it with Apple TV as well.

As far as the 5C should have been a metal phone ala iPods, what differentiation do you have then to the flagship model? If the 5C looked like an iPod touch I guarantee you it would cannibalize the flagship 5S in a much bigger way than Apple would want.
post #135 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The 5c isn't competing with the 5s, because the latter is a far better deal. It's more powerful, it looks better, and it's distinctive. If you want a new iPhone, the 5s makes far better sense. Even if you want a colorful case, you can simply add one to the 5s.

If Apple wants the 5c to sell well, it won't be enough to lower the price with a two-year contract. These contracts costs so much--a couple of thousand dollars--that even cutting the 5c price down to zero won't make much difference in the total cost of ownership. Apple needs to reduce the price enough to sell direct to those who don't sign long contracts. That's an untapped market that mostly buys used iPhones (like me).

Do the numbers. The 5c costs $173 to build. Sell it unlocked for twice that, $350, and it'll do quite well. And many of those who but the 5c will, in a couple of years buy a 6s.

Finally, someone who gets it.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #136 of 213
5c = improved 5 (albeit plastic case). Faster processor, better camera, iOS7. $100 less than 5s. What's the problem? They probably should have made a black one. Other than that, it's a state of the art iPhone for people with a "student" budget.
post #137 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

You are simply making things up.

Brilliant strategy?

Why would Apple not want the 5C to sell well? They've poured hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising into the 5C and they've produced millions of units that they probably expected to sell.

Your statements can't be validated because of those two massive facts.

Apple's margins on the 5C and 5S seem to be the same percentage-wise so the motion that the 5C's sole job is to sell more 5Ss seems to be a pretty big stretch to me.

Also looking at the "Hello" ad it seems as if Apple wanted the 5C to have a wide appeal to everyone. In the ad people from all different walks of life had 5Cs making the 5C to represent the iPhone for everyone.

The 5C's current sales are a disappointment and it hasn't reached the desired appeal Apple wanted.

This wouldn't have been an issue if it were offered cheaper ($450 8GB model), but at this point it looks like Apple is simply going to cut production and learn from this mistake.
What is your source for 5C sales? And how do you know it's been a disappointment and hasn't the desired appeal Apple wanted (assuming you know what that is)? So far Verizon is the only carrier to report iPhone sales and they didn't break out sales by model. Since we have ZERO sales figures for the 5C specifically and ZERO information on how many 5C's Apple initially produced or is producing on a daily/weekly basis we have no way of saying whether its a disappointment or not. Tim Cook has said in the past we shouldn't pay much attention to supply chain chatter/rumors.
post #138 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJim View Post

Really not a mystery at all. If i saw it coming, why didn't Apple. Because they are losing touch with their customers. Their marketing team is losing their edge. Apple is known for good build quality, not perfect but overall solid. If you could afford an iPhone, why would you want a "cheap" looking plastic version. The colors are too "easter egg". If they really wanted to shake the table, they should have put out the bright colorful metallic versions similar to nano. The 5s is marketed toward China. The fast growing Chinese middle class and upper class will want the more expensive models to show off their wealth. And gold and red is the favorite color. The price point for a 5c is still unaffordable for most in China. There is the ultra rich and the ultra poor, and a growing middle class in China that's it. Apple feels they have the US/Western market locked in.

What??

the way you put "cheap" in quotes makes me feel you missed the /s.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

another article with AppleInsider defending Apple. You guys should become their lawyers

 

This is an apple fan site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


You are simply making things up.

Brilliant strategy?

Why would Apple not want the 5C to sell well? They've poured hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising into the 5C and they've produced millions of units that they probably expected to sell.

Your statements can't be validated because of those two massive facts.

Apple's margins on the 5C and 5S seem to be the same percentage-wise so the motion that the 5C's sole job is to sell more 5Ss seems to be a pretty big stretch to me.

Also looking at the "Hello" ad it seems as if Apple wanted the 5C to have a wide appeal to everyone. In the ad people from all different walks of life had 5Cs making the 5C to represent the iPhone for everyone.

The 5C's current sales are a disappointment and it hasn't reached the desired appeal Apple wanted.

This wouldn't have been an issue if it were offered cheaper ($450 8GB model), but at this point it looks like Apple is simply going to cut production and learn from this mistake.

They just want their extra stuff to sell.

There is wayy more demand for 5s than 5c so advertising for that makes no sense.

also they don't sell 8GB models of anything except 4s.

and how do you know about 5c sales??

last I checked they beat gs4 in 2 of four major carriers in USA.

post #139 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This wouldn't have been an issue if it were offered cheaper ($450 8GB model), but at this point it looks like Apple is simply going to cut production and learn from this mistake.
Were you complaining the 4s should be $450 last year with 8gb memory?
Quote:
The 5C's current sales are a disappointment and it hasn't reached the desired appeal Apple wanted
Do you have The 5c current sales? Do you know Apples desire?
Quote:
You are simply making things up.
So what are you doing?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #140 of 213
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
I wouldnt necessarily call it a failure

 

Haven’t you been for the past few weeks?

 
Sales of 5C are obviously below Apple's expectations.
 
We don't know if that's true.


Hey, you disproved your own point! Thanks. Saves time.

 
…has advertised the device exclusively…

 

Are you pretending they haven’t advertised the 5S? Are you honestly pretending that?

 
I agree that the 5Cs current sales performance is probably disappointing to Apple.

 

You need to agree that you don’t have the first effing clue what the device was supposed to be.

 

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post
Why didn't Apple use the A7 in the iPhone 5c? How much more expensive would it have been?

 

Because that’s not what the phone is supposed to be. Because it has nothing to do with price. 

 

Because the 5C is last year’s phone and was never intended to get modern hardware.

 

Originally Posted by AppleJim View Post
Really not a mystery at all. If i saw it coming, why didn't Apple.

 

Because you saw nothing coming. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

 

What’s more likely: some guy on some website is right regarding a product about whose internal plans he knows nothing or THE MOST SUCCESSFUL COMPANY IN MODERN HISTORY is right regarding a product they created from scratch and whose internal plans they know intimately?

 
…”cheap” looking…

 

Not only have you never held an iPhone 5C, I’m convinced you’re also legally blind.

 
The colors are too "easter egg".

 

Shush.

 
The 5s is marketed toward China.

 

Not… no.

 
The price point for a 5c is still unaffordable for most in China.

 

Explains why they’re buying all three models, huh.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #141 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsilver View Post

The merits of the argument made here are undermined by the distraction of what has become a familiar wounded-fanboy tone in Daniel Eran Dilger's articles. His recent piece "WSJ backpedals on iPhone 5c supply chain cuts story" had a similar tone.

Click-bait editorializing is one thing, but these articles get a little too close to sounding like sophomoronic sneering. This all the more disappointing when, as is the case with these articles, there are actually some sensible points buried in the haughty sarcasm.

Your cancer is noted. Now, get back to your village, they need you.

I guess you meant 'concern'?

Predictive text can be a bitch 1rolleyes.gif
post #142 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


If you prefer an Apple fan site that isn't pro Apple then you need to go to MacRumors or 9to5Mac.

This site is doing a good job proclaiming Apple's doom and shaping negative opinions about the brand.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #143 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

5c = improved 5 (albeit plastic case). Faster processor, better camera, iOS7. $100 less than 5s. What's the problem?

 

It does not have a faster processor than the 5. In some benchmarks it rates slower?

 

Better facetime camera yes and that's it

 

The iPhone 5 has iOS 7 as well

 

Yes $100 less than the state of the art 5S, but the same price as remaining iPhone 5s on carriers which is a far classier phone.

 

The problem is Apple made a cheaper looking phone and cheaper feeling phone, and priced it too high.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


What is your source for 5C sales? And how do you know it's been a disappointment and hasn't the desired appeal Apple wanted (assuming you know what that is)? So far Verizon is the only carrier to report iPhone sales and they didn't break out sales by model. Since we have ZERO sales figures for the 5C specifically and ZERO information on how many 5C's Apple initially produced or is producing on a daily/weekly basis we have no way of saying whether its a disappointment or not. Tim Cook has said in the past we shouldn't pay much attention to supply chain chatter/rumors.

 

You have no more information than I do. How can you say the 5C is a sales success?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

They just want their extra stuff to sell.

 

last I checked they beat gs4 in 2 of four major carriers in USA.

 

I don't think Apple sees the 5C as "extra stuff". 

 

It's not surprising the 5C is doing decently in the US because US customers are blinded by subsidized pricing. I wonder what the picture for the 5C looks like outside the US?

 

That would be far more telling.

post #144 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Cherry picked benchmarks. Heavy spin. Pretending a plasticized year old phone is still a flagship. Being an Apple Apologist must be tiring. There's a lot to apologize for lately.

Scott sounds profoundly depressed. Must be the effect of constantly being 'ripped a new one' over on Cnet 1smoking.gif
post #145 of 213
Being an unabashed Apple fanboi (and a successful commercial artist), the 5C still has my head reeling. Ugly plastic shell, mostly hideous colors, and a case that is even uglier than the phone! What's not to hate? Looks cheap, but is not! On the other side, the 5S is exquisite, incredible colors and design, with features that my friends who own one are raving about! One friend, a regular photographer for National Geographic and a Nikon Mentor (Holds Expert Seminars on photography all over the world), Just bought a 5S, and his first comment was "the camera is incredible! Know anyone looking for Nikon gear?"

Please Apple, I think you need to run all your designs past me first, the "undisputed" arbiter of good taste ; )
post #146 of 213
Originally Posted by thinkman@chartermi.net View Post
Please Apple, I think you need to run all your designs past me first %u2014 the "undisputed" arbiter of good taste ; )

 

 9.5/10; you had me going there. :lol:

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #147 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Were you complaining the 4s should be $450 last year with 8gb memory?
Do you have The 5c current sales? Do you know Apples desire?
So what are you doing?

 

You people that equate the 5C to last years 4S are laughable.

 

Did the 4S last year have a 30 minute introduction at the iPhone 5 special event?

 

Did the 4S receive hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising globally?

 

That's why there weren't reports of 4S sitting on shelves. Actually 4Ss weren't even discounted below $99 until this year. The 5C has been on the clearance rack since launch seemingly.

 

You don't know 5C sales either, but anecdotally there are reports from carriers (the people that actually sell cellphones...) that the iPHone 5C is a slow seller and "not meeting expectations.."

 

As far as Apple, from their advertising they seemed to have expected the 5C to be more of a smash than it has been. I don't think Tim and Company wanted the 5C to simply be a costly experiment in increasing 5S sales as some posters here are eluding to. If that were the case more advertising dollars would have gone toward the 5S, but they did not initially.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Hey, you disproved your own point! Thanks. Saves time.

 

Taking all of my comments out of context. I guess that works for you.

post #148 of 213
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Taking all of my comments out of context.

 

Yep. Because the context in which you put it was irrelevant. Whereas I got to use it as my reply.

 

Either that or go ahead and prove you know that Apple sees the 5C as a failure.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #149 of 213
I agree with another commenter that the headline of this article perpetuates the 5c failure myth and should be changed.

The reason all these articles are being written is because any article with 'Apple' in the headline generates more clicks than other articles. Writing about Apples demise is quite fashionable right now. For whatever reason, many Americans are rooting for Apple (an American company) to fail and for Samsung (a South Korean company) to dominate the phone market.

All I know is that the 5c has sold over 3 million units in the first 3 days of being on sale. I'd like to know how that is a "failure" by any measure.
post #150 of 213
Unlocked T-Mobile with no contract is the way to go. You end up paying more on the installment plan and you can't unlock it for use in other countries. T-Mobile Simple plan is the cheapest among all companies. I have three iPhones and one iPad, all unlocked, on T-Mobile for $100/month with unlimited data, talk, text. Try that with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, or the Walmart plan. An equivalent plan with ATT would cost more than twice as much.

Eph

Reply

Eph

Reply
post #151 of 213

I brought my iPhone 4 over from AT&Terrible to Straight Talk but didn't realize that I would lose visual voicemail and MMS texting. Are both of these retained in the T-Mobile plans with an iPhone? 

post #152 of 213
AI is a fanboy site you idiot. That's why we love it!
post #153 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


All I got was more of the same. "Blah blah blah- you can't show me it was a success." In the meantime, you declare it is below expectations but don't have any evidence to support it. Any research that is given to the contrary, you try to tear apart- all the while not having one shred to show for your "point". Whatever that is.

I'd say you're getting tiresome, but it's kind of humerous to see you write 5 paragraphs and really say nothing aside from "I believe" and "I think" and that somehow you believe your opinions make you more credible than research, surveys and reports. And before you retort with "what's wrong with those studies are..."- please show us something more than "I believe".

I like TS's response to the 5c. And he's a "professional". Not an amateur like me...

 

 

Pal, we are all allowed to have our opinions. I don't think my opinions are any more valid than anyone else. I have already stated that. I have also stated that I have no more evidence than the next guy, that it is my opinion. Until I see more evidence to the contrary I will continue to think that the 5c, while not a failure by any means for Apple, has not yet lived up to its expectations.

 

I gave my reasons and for whatever reason it really bothers you. I'm not sure why you think I'm such a powerful person but I'm flattered.

 

... and I like the fact that TS has given his opinion and I respect that.


Edited by island hermit - 10/20/13 at 8:45am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #154 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Are you pretending they haven’t advertised the 5S? Are you honestly pretending that?

 

Just curious... I haven't seen any 5s ads. Where have you seen them? I'd like to see it.

 

I know that Apple just started a printed ad campaign for the 5s.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #155 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkman@chartermi.net View Post

Being an unabashed Apple fanboi (and a successful commercial artist), the 5C still has my head reeling. Ugly plastic shell, mostly hideous colors, and a case that is even uglier than the phone! What's not to hate? Looks cheap, but is not! On the other side, the 5S is exquisite, incredible colors and design, with features that my friends who own one are raving about! One friend, a regular photographer for National Geographic and a Nikon Mentor (Holds Expert Seminars on photography all over the world), Just bought a 5S, and his first comment was "the camera is incredible! Know anyone looking for Nikon gear?"

Please Apple, I think you need to run all your designs past me first, the "undisputed" arbiter of good taste ; )

Please tell me what is your profession? I can't believe any artist would call the 5c color "ugly". Last year iPod, yes. The 5c, no. It's as good as it can get.

TO. ADD: you don't seem to have a good taste, sorry. 5s and 5c is different. Can't compare between the two but in term of color you can say that the champagne gold raises eyebrows a bit but all plastic color of 5c is exquisite.
Edited by matrix07 - 10/20/13 at 8:00am
post #156 of 213
Am I the only one that reads this article as complete satire? I think the author is trying to make fun of all the pundits that want to "be the one" to predict a failing Apple product...
post #157 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This site is doing a good job proclaiming Apple's doom and shaping negative opinions about the brand.
True, it's not immune to click bait mentality. But still not as bad as MacRumors which seems to cater to the anti-Apple crowd.
post #158 of 213
Originally Posted by priced4evil View Post
I think the author is trying to make fun of all the pundits that want to "be the one" to predict a failing Apple product...

 

That’s the idea.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #159 of 213

I have been following AppleInsider for at least 10 years, and love the site.  It has enriched my life.

 

I think AppleInsider has steadily improved over the years, and has become a top-notch site without selling out to advertisers.

 

Thanks DED, and all who make AI be what it is ! ! !

post #160 of 213
Btw, I just saw a commercial this morning for new Kitchen Aid blenders that come in 10 different colors, and several of the colors were exactly the same as the 5C colors. No one is required to like the 5C colors but I guarantee there are people working at Apple who are more knowledgeable about colors and trends than those of us posting here. And I'll bet it won't be difficult for Apple to add or change colors depending on sales data or customer feedback they get.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › The mysterious failure of Apple's iPhone 5c