or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple begins airing TV spot for gold iPhone 5s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple begins airing TV spot for gold iPhone 5s

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Apple has recut the "liquid gold" video it debuted at the launch of iPhone 5s and paired it with a golden dance track to deliver the first television ad for the new high end model.



Similar to the flow of the "plastic perfected" TV ad Apple launched last month for iPhone 5c, the new 5s spot depicts a phone materializing out of a liquid material.

For the iPhone 5s, that material is gold, portrayed from the start in a melting form that takes the shape of the device. The spot pauses to admire the camera and dual element True Tone flash (above) before being outfitted with a gold ring highlighting its Touch ID feature, which is immediately used by a finger to login to the newly formed device.



The spot, first noted by The Verge as appearing in U.S. football broadcasts on Fox, and cobranded by carrier Verizon, is a slightly shorter version of the original video Apple showed at its release.

The TV spot is also paired with music from English glam rock band Goldfrapp: "Ohh La La," a disco inspired track that topped the charts in 2005, with punching bass guitar over a sultry synth, reinforcing the flow of the liquid gold. It also cleverly ties in the lyrics "dial up my number" and coordinates "I want to touch you, you're just made for love" with Touch ID, panning out to show the device running iOS 7.

Apple's original spot lacked a similar soundtrack, instead presenting a creepier, orchestral accompaniment to the cracking sounds of molten metal. The video also presented the internals of the Home button and its Touch ID sensor in greater detail, and flipped the phone around to present it alongside the Silver and Space Grey versions.



Liquids and Goldfrapp have been used in ads before



Apple's new "liquid" ads are reminiscent of an LG ad for its "Chocolate" phone, which presented the device erupting out of liquid chocolate. LG's 2006-era U.S. Chocolate phone was intentionally styled after Apple's iPod and played up its ability to play music.



That ad, coincidentally, featured a different track "Strict Machine" from the same artist, Goldfrapp. Motorola later copied LG's flip version of the Chocolate to launch the Moto CRZR, and also used Goldfrapp's "Ohh La La" to promote its ability to play music, although it failed to highlight the lyrics of the song, instead just presenting its catchy beat and chorus.



Both companies were hit hard by the launch of the iPhone, which not only played music like an iPod, but also surfed the web and accessed email like a Macintosh.
post #2 of 62

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007

post #3 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007
The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. 1rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007

 

Because Apple didn’t rip off anything of value. It isn’t a scene for scene remake of something LG advertised and successfully sells. It’s not some distillation of LG’s unique brand or style. It’s common use of a popular artist and the concept of liquid, but done in a very different way. 

LG’s ripoff iPod phone was depicted as cleanly emerging from liquid chocolate, because it is brown. 
Apple’s ads show two models being built out of a liquid material, each showing off the character of that material: fun shiny plastic or serious liquid metal. Nobody sees the ad and thinks "oh yeah, that’s just like an LG phone from 2006!"

But you knew all that didn’t you?  

post #5 of 62
I like the Goldfrapp song in the LG ad more, as well as the dipped in the liquid effect of that ad. The ending of the LG ad with the announcer that probably other does adverts for action movies ends up making it really cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. 1rolleyes.gif

I've totally heard people say that same thing. Stop copying them! 1tongue.gif
post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007

 

The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. 1rolleyes.gif 

 

 

 

:P 

post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. 1rolleyes.gif  

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007
post #8 of 62
I looked multiple times. With as honestly an open mind as possible (recognizing that it is not entirely possible).

The is simply no creative connection to the LG ad. Sorry. This article is out to lunch.
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I looked multiple times. With as honestly an open mind as possible (recognizing that it is not entirely possible).

The is simply no creative connection to the LG ad. Sorry. This article is out to lunch.

I agree with you.

 

But I note also that this article doesn't really accuse Apple of plagiarism (I know you're referring to creation connection). I think it's merely pointing a couple of similarities.

post #10 of 62
Copy?

"Ooh la la's" bass run sounds very reminiscent of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" from more than 30 years ago.
post #11 of 62
Originally Posted by Gregg Thurman View Post
"Ooh la la's" bass run sounds very reminiscent of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" from more than 30 years ago.

 

I felt the same thing.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #12 of 62
Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?

Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?

post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?

 

They haven't stopped advertising the 5C. They were advertising the 5C far before the 5S. Could be the fact that they're starting to get a better stock of the 5S so they can now start pushing it. 

post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?

 

dumb comment. Does BMW advertise the 3 series? Does Samdung advertise the G4?

post #16 of 62
Wait, I'm confused. So companies aren't supposed to run TV ads on popular things? Really? 1hmm.gif
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I looked multiple times. With as honestly an open mind as possible (recognizing that it is not entirely possible).

The is simply no creative connection to the LG ad. Sorry. This article is out to lunch.
So basically its click bait so all the Fandroids and haters can show up and accuse Apple of copying and Apple fans of being hypocritical for not pointing it out. 1rolleyes.gif
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wait, I'm confused. So companies aren't supposed to run TV ads on popular things? Really? 1hmm.gif

It's quite simple. If the company is Apple and you're an Apple hater you then disparage the concept of advertising as proof that their products must suck.
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

dumb comment. Does BMW advertise the 3 series? Does Samdung advertise the G4?
Even dumber reply. You can walk into any BMW dealer and drive out in a new BMW, you can walk into any mobile store and walk out with an S4. Not so with gold 5s.

Likely this is a strategic move as Apple are shifting production volume to the s models away from the c models.
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wait, I'm confused. So companies aren't supposed to run TV ads on popular things? Really? 1hmm.gif
If demand far exceeds supply, why waste the money. Wait until demand has fallen off and then push the ads.
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?
Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

It's quite simple. If the company is Apple and you're an Apple hater you then disparage the concept of advertising as proof that their products must suck.
I guess the Note 3 must be a real turd then because I'm seeing ads for it on TV like crazy.
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

If demand far exceeds supply, why waste the money. Wait until demand has fallen off and then push the ads.

Your comment would make perfect sense if we all had the memory of goldfish or suffered the same ailment as Leonard Shelby in Memento. But we aren't goldfish nor suffer from anterograde amnesia so we're perfectly fine with seeing an ad before immediately buying a product. That said, I know someone this past week saw a Gold iPhone pop up at his local store and was able to drive down to pick it up. This is all without the online hold option that can be done to secure the item. It was also the harder to find Verizon with 64GB, not some 16GB Sprint version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D

Sure, Apple has a horrible track records with ads. 1oyvey.gif1hmm.gif1rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

.... so we're perfectly fine with seeing an ad before immediately buying a product....
Sure, Apple has a horrible track records with ads. 1oyvey.gif1hmm.gif1rolleyes.gif
I'll counter and say that we're perfectly fine buying a product without seeing an ad, as well.

Second point, which ties in with your first about the memory of a goldfish, were the Olympics so long ago that no one remembers?
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I'll counter and say that we're perfectly fine buying a product without seeing an ad, as well.

Second point, which ties in with your first about the memory of a goldfish, were the Olympics so long ago that no one remembers?

Coca-Cola is the number one cola on the planet and you can get it quite easily in pretty much every country in the world and they advertise. Are you saying they are also a stupid company?
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Coca-Cola is the number one cola on the planet and you can get it quite easily in pretty much every country in the world and they advertise. Are you saying they are also a stupid company?
I don't have to go back to the store 2 weeks later to pick up my order of coke.
You seem to be completely missing my point.
Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available.

Did I say "stupid" in any of my posts? Don't be getting all pissy and putting words in my mouth.
post #27 of 62
Just when Samsung has finally managed to copy the "look and feel" of Apple's typical ads (see Galaxy Note 7 ad), Apple changes it up. How aggravating for them.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available.

Well, yeah! Except for a catastrophic issue production tends to ramp up as supply chain and production issues are worked out. Once they've squared away their current issues they may have opened up other assembly lines or simply increased production in other areas. That's par for the course.
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Well, yeah! Except for a catastrophic issue production tends to ramp up as supply chain and production issues are worked out. Once they've squared away their current issues they may have opened up other assembly lines or simply increased production in other areas. That's par for the course.
Iphone 5 ads came out the same day as the phone went on sale.
5s ad is much later, there something to be read between the lines there.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Iphone 5 ads came out the same day as the phone went on sale.
5s ad is much later, there something to be read between the lines there.

No between the lines reading, just a lot of hypothesis that will likely never be verified. There are simply too many variables at play. Perhaps they found it was a waste of money due to the momentum of their announcement and the tech media for the first couple weeks. There are just as arguments on each for it to ultimately be anything more than an opinion as to why they choose to do one thing or another; which is fine, so long as you word it that way and not try to read between the lines.
post #31 of 62
I just finished watching the video linked in the article on my iPhone and then right after the ad showed during the Colts-Broncos game I'm watching!
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Iphone 5 ads came out the same day as the phone went on sale.
5s ad is much later, there something to be read between the lines there.

Yes, indeed, there is. With all the incredible and free publicity Apple has been getting for the 5S -- including from fandoids and haters everywhere, even in Apple forums like this one -- perhaps the company figured it could wait a little longer and save a few bucks.
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

No between the lines reading, just a lot of hypothesis that will likely never be verified. There are simply too many variables at play. Perhaps they found it was a waste of money due to the momentum of their announcement and the tech media for the first couple weeks. There are just as arguments on each for it to ultimately be anything more than an opinion as to why they choose to do one thing or another; which is fine, so long as you word it that way and not try to read between the lines.
With apple, reading between the lines is all we get. :-)
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

With apple, reading between the lines is all we get. :-)

I certainly see your point there but I think it's dangerous to create inferences when there usually isn't enough data to make such a deduction, at least not without a good measure of qualification. For instance, I think your later comment, "Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available." is a well stated and qualified hypothesis and is not simply reading between the lines.
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D

"Maybe"? There is no maybe about this.

 

The fact that some of their ads did not turn out great doesn't mean they know less than you/we do. There is no "maybe" at all. To pretend otherwise simply diminishes your credibility. In fact, it's laughable.

post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

"Maybe"? There is no maybe about this.

.... To pretend otherwise simply diminishes your credibility. In fact, it's laughable.
Right back at you.
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


Iphone 5 ads came out the same day as the phone went on sale.
5s ad is much later, there something to be read between the lines there.

 

I'm honestly curious.

 

What exactly did you read?

 

Just so it's clear.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post
 

 

They haven't stopped advertising the 5C. They were advertising the 5C far before the 5S. Could be the fact that they're starting to get a better stock of the 5S so they can now start pushing it. 

 

It is still impossible to find gold iPhones in stock at Apple stock. They get sold out the within minutes of being in stock (buy online pick up in store). However, Apple does show 2 to 3 weeks shipping, which is an improvement from last earlier this month.

post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?

 

One would hope that Apple does know about marketing. It seems that they do... at least I think so.

 

Although, being a big company with lots of dollars available for advertising doesn't always translate into a successful marketing campaign.

 

It's not always a given.

 

ie. the lemmings ad was not received well and it was shown only 1 year after the iconic 1984 ad.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


Right back at you.

That doesn't even make sense. This is a feeble attempt at a last word. Do you not have the humility to admit you're wrong?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple begins airing TV spot for gold iPhone 5s