or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

post #1 of 69
Apple this week is widely expected to introduce a redesigned fifth-generation iPad that will be thinner and lighter --?and, in the eyes of one Wall Street analyst, the most important update to the full-size iPad since the first model was released in 2010.

Mockup
Fifth-generation iPad mockup by Martin Hajek.

Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald said in a note to investors on Monday that he believes Apple's anticipated update to the 9.7-inch iPad could be the highlight of its Tuesday event. In his recent trips to Taiwan and China, he's been told the new iPad will be about 15 percent thinner and as much as 30 percent lighter than the current fourth-generation iPad.

The width of the new iPad is also expected to be reduced by as much as 10 percent, as leaked parts have suggested Apple will reduce the bezels on the side of the display when using the iPad in portrait mode. The changes will make the design of the full-size iPad akin to the iPad mini.

This iPad launch will be particularly important for Apple, according to White, because the company's tablet sales were down 27 percent year over year in the third quarter of fiscal 2013. That marks the first time in the history of the iPad that Apple saw a year over year decline.

He expects that iPad sales were also off about 21 percent during the just-concluded September quarter. But he has projected that the iPad will return to positive territory in the current holiday quarter, driven by the launch of a new fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini.

iPad

"Apple has a massive installed base of iPads, and we believe this will drive the biggest upgrade ever for the iPad franchise," White said. "In our view, this October launch will prove beneficial for Apple this holiday season."

As for the iPad mini, White expects a "modest" upgrade for the second-generation model. While recent rumors have suggested the device will pack a high-resolution Retina display, he's not entirely convinced, revealing that sources on his recent trip to Asia were "less conclusive" on the new iPad mini.

"For example, some of our contacts believe that Apple will unveil a new iPad mini this week but may wait to launch an iPad mini with Retina display until (the first quarter of calendar 2014)," White wrote. "If Apple unveils an iPad mini with Retina display this week, we would view this as an incremental surprise."

Apple is scheduled to hold a media event on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will be there for full, live coverage.
post #2 of 69
I'm sorry but this makes zero sense to me. Why would Apple update the mini if they're planning a retina one in Q1 2014? And why would they wait until Q1 to release it, completely missing the holiday season? I guess I trust the WSJ more than Brian White and his Asia trip. I'd love to know who his "sources" are.
post #3 of 69

And still I don't care.

post #4 of 69
Another possibility is that Apple will make a Surface-like BLE keyboard available for it, perhaps another couple of accessories too, according to rumors from a recent Apple employee at another site.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 69
Most important ? I guess it would turn out to be the most disappointed apple event as there is no surprise , nothing innovative , aapl will dive ironically the same as google - 13 % .
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Most important ? I guess it would turn out to be the most disappointed apple event as there is no surprise , nothing innovative , aapl will dive ironically the same as google - 13 % .

How do you know there won't be any surprises?
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Haha even if there are no surprises the stock isn't going to dive 13%. The only thing that could make it happen is if they're quarterly earnings are horrible.
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

But can you really call the iPad important?

I can definitely call it more important than your irrelevant perception of it not being important.

post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

And still I don't care.

Then don't buy it, and don't pollute the comment area with junk comments.

post #10 of 69

Being in Asia, specifically China, right now, I can tell you people around here BS like no tomorrow just to get attention, or to make you believe what they want you to believe.

Any time I hear a Wall Scum anal-yst use the words "Asia" and "sources" in the same sentence, I immediately discount everything he says, knowing he's likely 99% full of crap.

And if he doesn't mention the word Asia, then I know he's just 98% full of crap.

post #11 of 69

What are the chances that 32GB becomes the new minimum?

I know that most people are streaming most things so local storage is less important, but it would be nice to carry around one's photo library as well and not need to rely on a network connection.

post #12 of 69

Most important update since the first iPad? Give me a break.

Retina mini? Sure. Very important.

Larger form factor? Sure. Something totally new is always important.

Going on the evidence this analyst is using? Oh boy.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #13 of 69
Brian White: Desperately Seeking Attention

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha even if there are no surprises the stock isn't going to dive 13%. The only thing that could make it happen is if they're quarterly earnings are horrible.

Which, because they had to give the SEC notice that they were revising their guidance up? We know it is not going to be.

post #15 of 69
What a joke. iPad 1 was unusably slow. iPad 2 has been the most important update since iPad 1 - all iPads after 2 and 2 included have been usable.
post #16 of 69
This guy has a horrible track record, so who cares

iPad mini with retina, get in my hands!
post #17 of 69

This may be the year that between the iPad, iPad mini and iPod touch? We see a ton of choices, especially in the lower price points, from $199-$799 (excluding LTE iPads), and will give people wanting Apple products a choice in a variety of price points.

Here, let me play analyst for a minute...

The question becomes, what do the do with the current iPad mini. Assume the keep it. Do the drop it $50? $100? Dropping it $100 makes it the same price as the 16 GB iPod touch (Retina but no rear camera). Which is why the top chart is what I think will happen, but the bottom wouldn't surprise, either.

And I threw in the obligatory "we need a 128 GB iPod touch to finally kill the classic" in there, too.

post #18 of 69

Most important by what means??

It says WSJ.

nothing to see here folks.

post #19 of 69
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

By whom? Why? And no. In that order.

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Oh great. The CNet troll deciding to infest other sites.

Mods... Ban this guy. He has a great ability to turn any thread into a wasteland.
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Most important update since the first iPad? Give me a break.

Hear! Hear!
I'm telling this again: WSJ DON'T DESERVE SERIOUS AUDIENCES.

Look at their news about Google's Moto. Almost a 25% lost YOY and what is the headline? What do you think is the headline if Apple lost money 25% YOY?

Might Google Have a Sly Motive Behind Motorola?
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303672404579147624149283910

Give me a break really.
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh great. The CNet troll deciding to infest other sites.

Mods... Ban this guy. He has a great ability to turn any thread into a wasteland.

+1

Don't turn this into MacRumors.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

And still I don't care.

Excellent point; you shouldn't care. If the bezel is smaller, so what. It's just such a fantastic device, globally embraced, that the FF doesn't matter. If it's faster, great, if not, so what. The iPad in its current state is simply the best product out there. There are tablets, and then there's the iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...from a recent Apple employee at another site.

Was the news recent from this other site? Because I cannot imagine what would be meant with a 'recent Apple employee' - did he get fired?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Brian White: Desperately Seeking Attention

<-This

post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Hear! Hear!
I'm telling this again: WSJ DON'T DESERVE SERIOUS AUDIENCES.

Look at their news about Google's Moto. Almost a 25% lost YOY and what is the headline? What do you think is the headline if Apple lost money 25% YOY?

Might Google Have a Sly Motive Behind Motorola?
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303672404579147624149283910

Give me a break really.

You are right about WSJ, of course, and everyone should read that story by Farhad Manjoo that you link to.

If he's right, Google's "sly motive" is really a completely evil campaign to subvert an industry by infecting it like a parasite and suck the lifeblood out of it. "Sly" isn't exactly the right word.

I'm hoping there's something about the iPad display besides GF/2 that Apple can really talk about to separate the iPads from other tablets. And for the iPad mini, some explanation that tells us why it's so difficult for Apple to do a 324 ppi screen while keeping the tradeoffs on size and battery life down—something that will at least keep Rogifan happy.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post
What a joke. iPad 1 was unusably slow.

I have an iPad 1 and for email, web and reading there really is nothing wrong with it. Not too slow at all. It is used by everyone in my house and no-one complains. Every time I pick it up I am struck by two things - its weight, and how well it still works. 

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

+1

Don't turn this into MacRumors.

CNet forums have been in a steady state of urban decay, and that troll takes the prize for being the biggest contributor to that wasteland.  I really hope the mods take a proactive approach and ban this guy before he continues his trend.

I have noticed though he tends to cringe and whine like a 2-year-old when Florian Müller of FOSSPatents is mentioned.  

post #28 of 69

How does this clown come up with iPad sales are down 27%? 

post #29 of 69
My trip to Asia? What is that supposed to mean? Good grief.
post #30 of 69
Originally Posted by ScottWilson

Yes. Now shut it.

post #31 of 69

Sounds to me like a case of an analyst 'preparing the ground' for yet another "Apple is doomed!" headline. When Apple's presentation fails to include the exact elements that the analyst 'predicts', they can damn the company for its "poor management and lack of innovation".

*sheesh!*

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

How does this clown come up with iPad sales are down 27%? 

3rd quarter sales were down 27% yoy.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

3rd quarter sales were down 27% yoy.

I'm wondering how he comes up with that number when Apple hasn't released their 3rd quarter results yet. 

post #34 of 69
Quote:

I'm wondering how he comes up with that number when Apple hasn't released their 3rd quarter results yet. 
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/07/23Apple-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results.html
post #35 of 69
Quote:

3rd fiscal quarter.

(oops... pipped by Gatorguy)

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #36 of 69
Apple was out of touch on the 5c. It will be blunder of major proportion if they blow the iPad Retina mini release.

If Apple drops the ball and fails to release the iPad mini Retina, the fiasco with the fugly colored 5c will pale in comparison, AAPL will drop to the low 4s, and Tim Cook should be shown the sidewalk post haste.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. Now shut it.

Tallest, head over to c|net and search user Scott_Wilson. Rabid troll posts in every single Apple related article. Apparently has decided to branch out into Apple centric forums now. It's going to get real ugly real quick. Mark my word. 

post #38 of 69
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Tallest, head over to c|net

That’s just asking for trouble. :lol:

At least he’ll actually be banned here.

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Apple was out of touch on the 5c. It will be blunder of major proportion if they blow the iPad Retina mini release.

If Apple drops the ball and fails to release the iPad mini Retina, the fiasco with the fugly colored 5c will pale in comparison, AAPL will drop to the low 4s, and Tim Cook should be shown the sidewalk post haste.

Another one ignorant of what Apple is doing with screen technology. You are setting yourself up to be shamed into silence.

You're also ignorant of 5c sales, so calling Apple out of touch is hilarious.

Folks, remember this is the guy who back in September compared the 5c's "palate" of colors to the hideous hues of bodily functions. Maybe he was thinking of the insect bodies in his dreams.
Edited by Flaneur - 10/21/13 at 9:58am
post #40 of 69
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

You’re totally lost. Have you been using Bing Maps?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad