or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Production issues predicted to limit Retina iPad mini supply until early 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Production issues predicted to limit Retina iPad mini supply until early 2014

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Investors remain concerned that Apple may not be able to produce enough second-generation iPad mini units with Retina displays, with one analyst on Monday predicting that the company may not be able to ramp up production to satisfactory levels until next year.

Mockup
Second-generation iPad mini mockup by Martin Hajek.


Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company said in a note to investors that he doesn't expect production of the anticipated second-generation iPad mini to ramp up until early 2014. He believes that supplies ahead of the holiday shopping season may be tight, as Apple could face issues in producing high-resolution Retina displays for its 7.9-inch tablet.

As a result, he believes total iPad shipments for the holiday quarter may be around 23 million -- a number that would be just slightly higher than the 22.9 million units Apple sold in the same quarter a year ago.

Arcuri isn't the only one who expects Apple may face production issues cramming more pixels into the iPad mini's display. Word from Apple's supply chain for months has suggested that there may be yield issues at play in developing a 7.9-inch Retina display en masse.

If production of the Retina iPad mini is limited, Arcuri still expects strong demand for the company's anticipated redesign of the fifth-generation iPad. Numerous rumors and leaks have suggested the new full-size iPad will be lighter, thinner, and sport smaller side bezels.

Arcuri noted that a complete redesign of the 9.7-inch iPad would be the first such upgrade in years, which could offset cannibalization from the 7.9-inch iPad mini. Both the fifth-gen iPad and second-gen iPad mini are expected to be unveiled by Apple at a media event on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

The analyst said Monday that he also expects Apple to announce availability for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, the next major upgrade to the Mac operating system, as well as new MacBook Pro models running Intel's latest Haswell processors. Those predictions are largely in line with general expectations heading into the event.
post #2 of 53

No. Really. Apple is predicted to have the same thing happen to them that always happens to them? 

 

Fire who said this. Jail who said this. I want a public shaming and a huge letter ‘A’ burnt into his forehead. Red and raw the rest of his life.

 

Modern day effing scarlet letter.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #3 of 53
And the dance begins.

This is so typical of the pundits etc that it's almost a joke, meme worthy even.

They go full guns on baseless ideas of how far Apple might go and then they push out 'issues' to cover their butts when it turns out they are wrong.

Just wait, tomorrow there will be no retina iPad Mini, because Apple was likely never planning to make one at this time if ever. And there will be scads of articles about the exact issues that prevented it.

Same if there is no Touch ID, no Gold back, no 802.11ac or whatever else.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #4 of 53
They said that about the 5s, and every product that was about to come out. No accountability to any of these rumors.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

So they are just handing the small tablet market to Google for now. It's a shame they can't overcome the technical problems with iOS to release a modern small tablet.

What planet r u on?
post #6 of 53
Oh no! Apple has more demand than they can keep up with! Doomed.

I think these idiots will be proven wrong tomorrow.
post #7 of 53
I'm relieved to read this. I already was concerned this time some analyst would forget to publish something like that.
All in all, it's a good sign as each time they were all wrong. Would be more concerned if they started predicting all green : D
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

So [I'm just here to trash the comment thread] . . .

How do we get rid of this . . . person?
post #9 of 53

Hey, I'm a tech guru. I say that Apple is going to implode with their failure to meet demand and for making sub-standard products that kids don't like.

 

I'm telling you, switch to Android now. Yes you'll get Schmidt load of malware, poorly coded apps, poor software update support, broken and buggy OS with pure piece of Schmidt devices to put a cherry on top on the cake, but at least Android is doing all right. At least Google is not going bust. Even Wall Street believes that Google will thrive and Apple is doomed. I'm telling you, switch to Google now, or else, repent with your product that has a half-eaten fruit printed on the back of it.

post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzare View Post

What planet r u on?

He's on a planet where people will respond to his inane comments.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

How do we get rid of this . . . person?
 

Be the change that you want to see; know what I mean?

post #11 of 53
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
How do we get rid of this . . . person?

 

 

Have at ‘er.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #12 of 53
Reading these 'analysts', you would almost think that Apple waited until two days before a product launch before starting to build the supply chain and the day before launch to start building these things.... I'm sure with whatever is coming down the pipeline that a fair number of units have already been produced...
post #13 of 53
People need to learn to ignore the chuckleheads like Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company. Timothy should look for work he is more qualified for, say, a job at Burger King.
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

So they are just handing the small tablet market to Google for now. It's a shame they can't overcome the technical problems with iOS to release a modern small tablet.

Since Apple has never played in the cheap market there was never any market Apple had to hand over to Google. That is all Amazon, Google, and whatever other crap no-name tablet you can find on Amazon.com.

Furthermore, what market does the Google Nexus 7 actually own? I see Kindle Fire HD's every now and then but I rarely see any Google tablets. Anecdotally that would mean the cheap, small tablet market is owned by Amazon, not Google.

Finally, you read a claim that Apple can't make production yields (despite no proof) but then jumped to some oddball claim that it's a problem with iOS. WTF?!
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Really. Apple is predicted to have the same thing happen to them that always happens to them? 

Fire who said this. Jail who said this. I want a public shaming and a huge letter ‘A’ burnt into his forehead. Red and raw the rest of his life.

Modern day effing scarlet letter.

These claims by analysts are made as scapegoat articles. They've been claiming for a year or more now that the iPad Mini will be Retina so by saying it's a production yield they get to say they would have been right if Apple didn't muck it up.
post #16 of 53
The funny thing is, when you actually order one of these "expected to be in short supply" products, somehow it manages to arrive the next day.
post #17 of 53

Oh, analysts.

 

I'm anxiously awaiting their report that the iPad mini 2 is a failure when the iPad 5 outsells it.

post #18 of 53
AAPL goes up so some effin' crooked analyst jumps on them.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 53

If not available in ready supply for xmas there will be many lost sales as people purchase as gifts for holidays.  Those are lost sales never coming back.  Can Cook fill his supply chain since he has known he needed to do this for a year now?

post #20 of 53
Phew, making it the same price as the current Retina iPad will do profits nicely.
That apparent panic change of plan from keeping the same basic design could in fact turn up trumps.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

He's on a planet where people will respond to his inane comments.

Be the change that you want to see; know what I mean?

How do I get you to stop being so supercilious?
post #22 of 53
The anal ..ists are starting to sound like old brocken records.. Repeating garbage over and over.

There should be a law that controls this kind of irresponsible unaccountable unsubstashiated reporting..

These anal -ists feel they can get away with any bs the spew out for their agendas... There should be serioise consiquence for reportin Fud.

Seriously USA is in pathetic state of chaos.....
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


How do I get you to stop being so supercilious?

 

By not using words like supercilious?

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Can Cook fill his supply chain since he has known he needed to do this for a year now?

Things are not so simple as that, methinks. What Apple requires for iPad displays in the tens of millions, GF/2 and maybe IGZO ready, are completely unknown to us. We can assume that they're different from what Asus, Amazon or Samsung require. We know that Apple has been doing something mysterious in display development with Sharp, LG, AUO, etc. etc.

Why would you assume that Tim Cook is dithering, or that Apple hasn't been spending heavily in this area for years?
post #25 of 53
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
Those are lost sales never coming back.

 

Well…

 
Can Cook fill his supply chain since he has known he needed to do this for a year now? 

 

Spoiler alert: yes.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


How do I get you to stop being so supercilious?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

By not using words like supercilious?

To be precise, by not misusing words like supercilious. :)

post #27 of 53
Im prepared for this to happen. I fully expect it to happen. That is why I may end up getting an iPad 5 rather than a mini iPad. The bigger screen is also a plus. I also want to upgrade my rMBP 13" to a rMBP 15" when the new ones come out.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Im prepared for this to happen. I fully expect it to happen. That is why I may end up getting an iPad 5 rather than a mini iPad. The bigger screen is also a plus. I also want to upgrade my rMBP 13" to a rMBP 15" when the new ones come out.

I am very interested in rMBP with battery lasting all day. Very interested.

post #29 of 53
Remember last year''s I mean this year's iMac.,
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

To be precise, by not misusing words like supercilious. 1smile.gif

You fit the definition perfectly. Don't tell me or TS not to respond to somebody. That's arrogance on your part. Smug, supercilious arrogance.

I'm familiar with the arguments. He's not going to go away if he's ignored, If enough outrage is detected by the moderators, there's a chance he may be made to go away sooner. If you don't want to read the response to his trash, then skip over it.
post #31 of 53

AAPL + $12 today so time to write some negative crap to get it back down.

post #32 of 53

Just like "double-secret insiders working deep in Apple's supply chain" are absolutely certain a full-blown Apple television is just around the corner.... oh, no.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Remember last year''s I mean this year's iMac.,

And last year's iPad mini. If we believe the reports, both problems were caused by building out capacity on new screen lamination or film bonding technologies. Pushing the envelope can come back to bite you when you try to roll it out in the millions. The best supply experts in the world can't foresee all the glitches that crop up. That would be my interpretation. Others would like to question Apple's or Tim Cook's competence. Where do you come down on this? Serious question.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

So they are just handing the small tablet market to Google for now. It's a shame they can't overcome the technical problems with iOS to release a modern small tablet.


Hey Scott, don't you have a dinner date with Florian??  Get lost.

post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

And last year's iPad mini. If we believe the reports, both problems were caused by building out capacity on new screen lamination or film bonding technologies. Pushing the envelope can come back to bite you when you try to roll it out in the millions. The best supply experts in the world can't foresee all the glitches that crop up. That would be my interpretation. Others would like to question Apple's or Tim Cook's competence. Where do you come down on this? Serious question.

For me as long if you make an availability date then you stick to it. This nonsense with the gold 5s ( it was gone in 5 minutes opening day at the store) should not happen. Apple or whoever is offering something with production issues should simply state that is has limited availability. Otherwise it erodes your good will especially after waiting in line for 3 hours.

Btw the iMac screen lamination makes it the hardest screen to wipe clean. It gets streaks upon streaks. Does anyone have a good solution on how clean it efficiently?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


You fit the definition perfectly. Don't tell me or TS not to respond to somebody. That's arrogance on your part. Smug, supercilious arrogance.

I'm familiar with the arguments. He's not going to go away if he's ignored, If enough outrage is detected by the moderators, there's a chance he may be made to go away sooner. If you don't want to read the response to his trash, then skip over it.

Sorry. Giving unwanted advice is not being supercilious (except, perhaps, when you give it? Heh ...). In fact, your unreceptive attitude is closer to superciliousness (not to mention silliness) than mine. But I won't tell you that because you don't enjoy being corrected. ;)

 

Out of curiosity, no one has ever been truly ignored here; how do you know such a strategy won't work?

post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And the dance begins.

This is so typical of the pundits etc that it's almost a joke, meme worthy even.

They go full guns on baseless ideas of how far Apple might go and then they push out 'issues' to cover their butts when it turns out they are wrong.

Just wait, tomorrow there will be no retina iPad Mini, because Apple was likely never planning to make one at this time if ever. And there will be scads of articles about the exact issues that prevented it.

Same if there is no Touch ID, no Gold back, no 802.11ac or whatever else.

No retina mini would be such a fail i dont even want to think it could even happen. That would basicly mean even Amazon can make better hardware than apple.

And the only reason i can think of for apple to have yield problem on the retina screens is if they went to a cutting edge tech, like IGZO.
Edited by herbapou - 10/21/13 at 2:23pm
post #38 of 53
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No retina mini would be such a fail i dont even want to think it could even happen. That would basicly mean even Amazon can make better hardware than apple.

And the only reason i can think of for apple to have yield problem on the retina screens is if they went to a cutting edge tech, like IGZO.

I'm amazed at how many people seem to think Apple has no plans to ever release a retina mini. And even more amazing is the fact they think it doesn't matter and people will still rush to buy it anyway. If Apple announces a mini tomorrow that has no retina and no touch id what would be the point? What would be the incentive to buy it, other than if Apple dropped the price.

It's one thing if Apple is having production or yield issues with retina displays, or if they haven't nailed acceptable batty life yet. But if Apple is purposely keeping retina off the mini for no technological reason then I would finally agree with those who say Cook has to go. Because at that point Apple would no longer be a product company but a bean counting profit margin company.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm amazed at how many people seem to think Apple has no plans to ever release a retina mini. And even more amazing is the fact they think it doesn't matter and people will still rush to buy it anyway. If Apple announces a mini tomorrow that has no retina and no touch id what would be the point? What would be the incentive to buy it, other than if Apple dropped the price.

It's one thing if Apple is having production or yield issues with retina displays, or if they haven't nailed acceptable batty life yet. But if Apple is purposely keeping retina off the mini for no technological reason then I would finally agree with those who say Cook has to go. Because at that point Apple would no longer be a product company but a bean counting profit margin company.

You need to take a deep breath and relax.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Production issues predicted to limit Retina iPad mini supply until early 2014
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Production issues predicted to limit Retina iPad mini supply until early 2014