or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing

iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

This was my take from the first report of "overproduction" of the 5c:  Apple knew it was "supply constrained" on the 5s and wanted to be sure it had enough units of "new iPhones" to be able to meet any reasonable demand, knowing that any degree of early overrun had at least a year to be long-ago absorbed by next October...

I concur, and now that the initial push is over and 5c supply remaining healthy, Apple moved some production lines over to the 5s. 

post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I know several people who were interested in the 5s but went with the 5c due to their inability to walk out of their network's store with one when they needed a phone.

I also am amused by all this bad stuff written about the 5c sales.  Here in NYC and Brooklyn I see a lot of them in the wild.  

Just shows ignorance on their part as you can't have bad, or good sales of an out of stock product. You can have good or bad outstanding orders, but no one has those details. 

post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Ok, let me start from the top. I think Apple should keep a non-retina iPad for both models. I don't care if it is last years, this years, or next years. They have do this with the MBP and rMBP.

They might, if it's financially advantageous but I am leaning toward the iPad 2 and non-Retina MBPs going away this year. That isn't a preference on my part just an assumption, so I hope you're right.
post #44 of 77
Quote:

I think the bigger issue is Apple's inability to ship the 5s. I have one ordered from AT&T but it won't show as *sold* until it ships as AT&T won't bill me until such time. 

I wonder how many outstanding orders are out there for the 5s? 

I would agree that supply is an issue for 5s...but probably not as big as the doomsayers say.  I think it's a demand "issue".  :-)

I just can't see how suppliers could have ramped up the initial supply during launch and then suddenly come to a dramatic slowdown.  Then again, I'm not privy to supply chain status.  But with shipping status at 2-3 weeks...it can't be all that bad (as opposed to 4-6 weeks?).

post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

They might, if it's financially advantageous but I am leaning toward the iPad 2 and non-Retina MBPs going away this year. That isn't a preference on my part just an assumption, so I hope you're right.

Here is my logic. 

iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s

MBP or rMBP

Apple is clearly wanting the high end market, and then giving a nod to those on the fence due to price. I think this can be used even more so in the tablet space as most tables are priced close within the same class. If $100 off puts the non-retina version right in the midsts of the competition, they might move some off the fence into the Apple camp, where retention is quite good. 

For me, the iPad retina is great for my photography, but the non-retina mini is looking good for a reader. 

But we'll all see tomorrow :) 

post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I would agree that supply is an issue for 5s...but probably not as big as the doomsayers say.  I think it's a demand "issue".  :-)

I just can't see how suppliers could have ramped up the initial supply during launch and then suddenly come to a dramatic slowdown.  Then again, I'm not privy to supply chain status.  But with shipping status at 2-3 weeks...it can't be all that bad (as opposed to 4-6 weeks?).

I've been waiting since Sept 23rd for my Gold 5s so I'll say it is a big issue. I also think Apple knew this going in due to the Touch ID, but also marketing. Nothing gets people there early than 'limited supply'. 

I don't think (nor do I actually know) that the 5c is having sales issues, but as one posted, stock was ramped up enough to support the iPhone launch demand as some opted for the 5c due to not being able to get the 5s. Talking to one person, they were not in need of the 5s specs, so they opted for the 5c as it was in stock anyway. 

What is really hurting the optics on this one is that there are no 5s available so no one can look at numbers. Backorders for the 5s could be huge, and they could not be, we don't know. However, if I ordered on Sept 23 and almost a month later I still don't have my phone and production has been churning out phones this entire time, I'd say 5s demand is very high, and remains high. You will probably have another surge (although much smaller) when the 5s is available and people who were just waiting jumps in. 

post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Localytics statistics apparently had no value before so I'm thinking they must hold no value now.
Only when they don't line up with your "5c is a failure for Apple" comments.

How many more stats have to come out before you finally admit you were wrong?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #48 of 77
Quote:

Here is my logic. 

iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s
MBP or rMBP

Apple is clearly wanting the high end market, and then giving a nod to those on the fence due to price. I think this can be used even more so in the tablet space as most tables are priced close within the same class. If $100 off puts the non-retina version right in the midsts of the competition, they might move some off the fence into the Apple camp, where retention is quite good. 

For me, the iPad retina is great for my photography, but the non-retina mini is looking good for a reader. 

But we'll all see tomorrow 1smile.gif 

I personally don't see that as the best avenue for Apple. Note the iPhone 5C is still Retina and is essentially the iPhone 5 with some slightly better components in a couple areas and an arguably worse case (but it does feel great for plastic).

They've never kept an older gen MBP before the way they keep the iPhone and iPad. There history is to have the MacBook and now the MacBook Air being the starting price for Mac notebooks. That's not to say they won't keep the thicker, non-Retina MBPs since it was already unusual they kept it at all, but I think the main reason for that they kept it was due to the optical drive. Since no other Mac will have it after the Mac Pro is updated I'm guessing it's also on its way out.
post #49 of 77
Wonder if the iPad 5 will be enought to get people to upgrade. Less bezel, lighter with 64bit CPU might be the sweet spot. Also the iPad mini with retina, being cheaper might also work
post #50 of 77
Quote:

I personally don't see that as the best avenue for Apple. Note the iPhone 5C is still Retina and is essentially the iPhone 5 with some slightly better components in a couple areas and an arguably worse case (but it does feel great for plastic).

They've never kept an older gen MBP before the way they keep the iPhone and iPad. There history is to have the MacBook and now the MacBook Air being the starting price for Mac notebooks. That's not to say they won't keep the thicker, non-Retina MBPs since it was already unusual they kept it at all, but I think the main reason for that they kept it was due to the optical drive. Since no other Mac will have it after the Mac Pro is updated I'm guessing it's also on its way out.

Yes, the 5c is still retina as that is not where they choose to cut cost, but in the shell. Sorry, I was not trying to make it a spec vs. spec argument, but rather Apple dangles some fruit just a bit lower than their high-end line, I believe, to grab more who are price sensitive for whatever reason. 

Although there was some initial outcry over a non-optical MBP, who really uses a CD drive today? Yes, I know there are some, but is that 5% or 50%? I think more like 5%. 

But hey, don't listen to me, I'm the guy who said for months Apple would never go backwards and reintroduce plastic :D 

post #51 of 77

I am so buying that new form factor iPad 5 if they can put the A7X in it.  I think the iPad 5 will do very well this year, especially with so many people still on the iPad 2.

On the mini side, beside adding retina, I am hoping Apple will consider the mini as a prime product and put a decent CPU in it.  imo it needs the A6X or the A7.  

The old ipad mini should drop in price to lower than $250, I think it should even sell for $200 if they don't tweak it. There are just too many small tablets that are a lot better than the current ipad mini in the $200 to $250 price range. 

post #52 of 77
I did not "Get it" about the iPad until the retina display model came out. Even when I got one, it was basically experimental. Now I do tons of stuff there.

I think the talk about iPad mini retina display being in shortage assume that there will be a huge whopping humongous demand for it, leading up to Christmas.

Dudes and dudettes, I think that is totally correct.
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Localytics statistics apparently had no value before so I'm thinking they must hold no value now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Only when they don't line up with your "5c is a failure for Apple" comments.

How many more stats have to come out before you finally admit you were wrong?

So, you are saying that the last set of Localytics stats showed that the 5c is a failure.

Wow. That's harsh, little stalker buddy.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #54 of 77
My house has an iPad 2 and iPad mini, We will add a new mini with retina or a new 5th generation full size. For sure 5th gen. if it has the faster processor of the 2, also 128g storage kind of important to us.
We are so done buying PCs for home use.
post #55 of 77
Quote:

Interesting. It was the iPad 3 being Retina that I thought really made it an easy upgrade from the iPad 2. It's getting the iPad 4 after having the iPad 3 that was no interest to me.

Same here. I hope the 5 will be as light as the 2 with retina and 802.11ac. I miss the weight of the ipad 2.
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am so buying that new form factor iPad 5 if they can put the A7X in it.  I think the iPad 5 will do very well this year, especially with so many people still on the iPad 2.

On the mini side, beside adding retina, I am hoping Apple will consider the mini as a prime product and put a decent CPU in it.  imo it needs the A6X or the A7.  

The old ipad mini should drop in price to lower than $250, I think it should even sell for $200 if they don't tweak it. There are just too many small tablets that are a lot better than the current ipad mini in the $200 to $250 price range. 

Agreed: horsepower under the hood is going to be the deciding factor for me with the topline models.

post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

Same here. I hope the 5 will be as light as the 2 with retina and 802.11ac. I miss the weight of the ipad 2.

That may be waiting for the IGZO screen tech: the battery is the challenge in the need to power the screen...

post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Wow! I think of the iPad 2 as being so old and slow that it surprises me that anyone would choose it. I do know that it is the iPad of choice by companies that are giving away a tablet for promotional reasons. Still...

That the iPhone 5c is gaining on the 5s isn't surprising, there are a lot of buyers that need to wait until their old iPhone comes off contract (myself included) and they may be younger and less affluent than the 5s buyers. Two demographics that may lean toward the more colorful iPhones.

The iPad 2 has been available the longest of any existing iPad for sale, and for over a year has been priced at $399. For that price, to get 9.7 of tablet is pretty irresistible to some.

Also consider, the iPad 5 will be the first major redesign since iPad 2....(with 3 & 4 being only slightly thicker/heavier, but the same design).

Many predict iPad 5 to spur a huge round of upgrades from 2 & 3 owners. Within a year, I think we'll see a flip, and the active installed base will be 40% iPad 5, 30% iPad mini, and 15% iPad 3, 15% iPad 4.......

post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

I believe the 5 may be even lighter than the 2. Along with being overall less volume.

post #60 of 77

The iPhone 5c think makes sense. Folks that would buy the 5c aren't the type to jump on getting a phone right away. They are the type to wait for the rush to die down Or put up with waiting for it to arrive from online. and so on. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Tablets differ from the smartphone market in that they are a) less likely to be subsidized and b) are bought in large volumes by education/enterprise/government for mass deployment. 

That is likely the reason why the iPad 2 is seen as so popular. 

post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

If you are using an iPad in fairly casual situations... the mini is too small and the retina is overkill.

I'm using an iPad 2 as my 'non-work' computer...  With my uncorrected vision (and red-green colorblindness, it works fine in display mode.   I'm lacking a bit of 'zip' that my wife's iPhone 5 has... so I'm seriously contemplating a new iPad (and reusing this iPad 2 as a universal remote and home automation control).

I don't understand why people talk down what Apple did with retina. Computers which emphasised larger displays at low DPI have been grating my eyeballs for decades. High DPI displays made digital typography not just bearable, but a thing of beauty. I sold my iPad 2 for an iPad 3 and suddenly I could read scientific literature as  full page PDF without having to zoom in. I also get my local newspaper delivered digitally. It's just been wonderful.

post #63 of 77
The iPad 2 had the best battery life and lightest weight. I'm hoping the iPad 5 can bring us back to that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 77
As a side note. I can't wait for tallest to go after the trolls tomorrow- it's now one of the highlights of announcement days for me.

Sick 'em little buddy!!!

post #65 of 77

I've been saying for quite some time that retina doesn't matter and people want screen size and cheapness in the iPad…this new metric kind of proves my point…but, of course i'd like to see the breakdown of user type (i.e. educaiton, business and consumer usage stats related to each).  I say that because it's a known fact that the Education sector has been very active in purchasing the iPad 2.

I this age of computing, people want a full-featured, large screen, less expensive iPad.  In  most cases that trumps retina and/or portibility.

Another factor to weigh in against my arguement; many iPad mini buyers might have been holding out for a retina version.  So if that's the case and they release a retina Mini…especially at the $399 price point that all the rumors are suggesting;  we might see the retina iPad take over as the most popular iPad.

post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I believe the 5 may be even lighter than the 2. Along with being overall less volume.

And i'd been saying since i bought my iPad 2 that it was just a tad too heavy.

post #67 of 77
Quote:

The iPad 2 has been available the longest of any existing iPad for sale, and for over a year has been priced at $399. For that price, to get 9.7 of tablet is pretty irresistible to some.

Also consider, the iPad 5 will be the first major redesign since iPad 2....(with 3 & 4 being only slightly thicker/heavier, but the same design).

Many predict iPad 5 to spur a huge round of upgrades from 2 & 3 owners. Within a year, I think we'll see a flip, and the active installed base will be 40% iPad 5, 30% iPad mini, and 15% iPad 3, 15% iPad 4.......

Agreed, Re: my previous post.

I will be one  of that spur of upgrades, been waiting for the weight to go down before upgrading.  However, I don't think I'll be an early adapter.  Sold my iPad 2 in Sept. for a good price (nearly $330) but I'm finding I miss it less than 50% of my computing time.  Actually thinking of waiting until Q1 or Q2 to upgrade.  And if it doesn't have Touch ID, I might not upgrade at all.

post #68 of 77

Re: iPhone 5c...

I think we all figured the 5c would gain market share as time went on.  As more people buy it and news spreads that it's more comfortable to hold and the Touch ID isn't that big of a deal, the $100 less price-point and shinny colors will win out.  I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.

post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Re: iPhone 5c...

I think we all figured the 5c would gain market share as time went on.  As more people buy it and news spreads that it's more comfortable to hold and the Touch ID isn't that big of a deal, the $100 less price-point and shinny colors will win out.  I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.

A few of us think it will pick up during the holiday gift buying. Parents buying their kids a colorful phone. The more of them seen in the wild, the better the sales as time goes on. It just has to get trendy. 

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #70 of 77
Quote:

I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.

Yah, I kinda agree.  not sure about "by far" better than the 5s, but better for many because frankly, I'm tired of having to protect my shiny metal phones from dings/scratches/falls... and would just as well opt for the plastic 5c (naked, of course) at a price break.

Disclosure: I'm still loving my gold 5s!

post #71 of 77
Quote:

Agreed, Re: my previous post.

I will be one  of that spur of upgrades, been waiting for the weight to go down before upgrading.  However, I don't think I'll be an early adapter.  Sold my iPad 2 in Sept. for a good price (nearly $330) but I'm finding I miss it less than 50% of my computing time.  Actually thinking of waiting until Q1 or Q2 to upgrade.  And if it doesn't have Touch ID, I might not upgrade at all.

Yeah, I have an iPad 3 around the house that used to be mine, until my 2 year old commandeered it. I miss having it at my beck and call for email, browsing, viewing photos i took on my phone, and many other Apps that are just better than iPhone.

Going forward, I'm very excited for the prospect of iPad 5. I'm so sold on Touch ID with my 5S that I'll be really disappointed if it is lacking on iPad 5....

....then again, I've never put a passcode on an iPad, and since the 2 have been using a Smart Cover or Smart Case to Lock/Unlock it. So with or without Touch ID, the experience of a fast/instant unlock/lock through the natural open/close of the cover is still an option.

I think I'd still be ok without Touch ID. The new physical design, with the performance of A7X, is more than enough for me.

post #72 of 77
Quote:

Yeah, I have an iPad 3 around the house that used to be mine, until my 2 year old commandeered it. I miss having it at my beck and call for email, browsing, viewing photos i took on my phone, and many other Apps that are just better than iPhone.

Going forward, I'm very excited for the prospect of iPad 5. I'm so sold on Touch ID with my 5S that I'll be really disappointed if it is lacking on iPad 5....
....then again, I've never put a passcode on an iPad, and since the 2 have been using a Smart Cover or Smart Case to Lock/Unlock it. So with or without Touch ID, the experience of a fast/instant unlock/lock through the natural open/close of the cover is still an option.

I think I'd still be ok without Touch ID. The new physical design, with the performance of A7X, is more than enough for me.

I've always said id never be the dad that let his kid get on his phone or iPad. Man- that is so harder said then done. My now 4 year old- of course- wanted to use both at any opportunity. I bought her a iPod touch when she was probably 2.5 and upgraded her to the 5th gen when it came out. I highly recommend little kids have their own iDevices or none at all. Because "sharing" is a one way street. Plus they're disgusting. I swear I wash her hands, and somehow right after I wash she touches the screen and she's still grubby.
1wink.gif

post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's mid-range iPhone 5c is beginning to close the sales gap on the company's flagship iPhone 5s,

Otherwise known as "anti-FUD"?

/s
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is likely the reason why the iPad 2 is seen as so popular. 

It has also been around longer than all other iPads combined.
post #75 of 77
I
post #76 of 77
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
As a side note. I can't wait for tallest to go after the trolls tomorrow- it's now one of the highlights of announcement days for me.

Sick 'em little buddy!!!

They’d get wiped faster if everyone helped report them. :p

And remember, if you’re not sure it’s a troll, check the list.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They’d get wiped faster if everyone helped report them. :p

And remember, if you’re not sure it’s a troll, check the list.

I think you missed the point. Its not 'wait for Tallest to get back to remove the trolls', but rather 'can't wait for Tallest to get back to HAMMER the trolls'. If we get them removed before you show up, what is the entertainment value in that? :P 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing