or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

post #1 of 121
Apple's next-generation desktop operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, is now available on the Mac App Store as a free upgrade for all Mac users running Snow Leopard or above.

Mavericks

Mavericks, named after a Northern California surf spot, brings several new and innovative features to Apple's stalwart operating system. A major focus of the effort, Apple software chief Craig Federighi revealed at Tuesday's event, was to enhance the performance and battery life of Apple's Mac hardware.

"Mavericks is an incredible release, which introduces significant new apps and features, while also improving the performance and battery life of your Mac," Federighi said in a news release.

In a stunning departure from the status quo, Apple announced that beginning with Mavericks, all future OS X point releases would be free of charge. The free pricing structure was portrayed by Federighi as a "revolutionary" change in the PC industry, where software upgrades are usually paid. Federighi pointed to Microsoft's $199 pricing for the company's Windows 8 Pro upgrade as an example.

Mavericks

Apple's stated goal with the new pricing structure is for "every Mac user to experience the latest features, the most advanced technologies, and the strongest security," according to Federighi. He added that the company believes "the best way to do this is to begin a new era of personal computing software where OS upgrades are free."

In addition to performance enhancements, Mavericks brings iBooks and Maps from Apple's iOS mobile operating system. Maps is particularly deeply integrated into Mavericks, featuring prominently in updates to the Mail and Calendar apps.

Mavericks also features enhanced support for multiple displays, an updated to the Safari web browser, new iCloud Keychain functionality that synchronizes a users's Mac keychain with the user's other Macs and iOS devices, and a welcome new tabbed mode for Finder.

Macs running versions of OS X all the way back to Snow Leopard --?from 2007 onward -- will be able to take advantage of the new software in a single update. In preparation of the next-gen OS X, Apple also released Migration Assistant software to ease data transfer from Snow Leopard and Lion.

Mavericks is available today as a free download from the Mac App Store.
post #2 of 121

Awesome! Now make iLife and iWork free too!

post #3 of 121
Didn't change my signature since WWDC.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 121
Awesome!!!
post #5 of 121
An expected move from Apple, they did the same with iOS so it makes sense to use a SaaS structure.
post #6 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Congrats! I'm definitely happy you were right!
post #7 of 121
nice
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #8 of 121
This can't be available soon enough for me...checking the App Store already. lol File tagging is going to change my life. :-)
post #9 of 121
They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...
post #10 of 121
I love you Apple! I can't wait to get home to upgrade.
post #11 of 121
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post
They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Isn’t that your fault? Pay for the update.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #12 of 121
Absolutely fantastic - back to 2007 !
Well done Apple !
post #13 of 121
WOW.

This is awesome!!!!

I may not like iOS much but this is just cool. Way to bring some coolness and loyalty back Apple.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #14 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Nice call!

But didn't you take out "there will be an iTV"?  :p

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 121

not currently available on the US Store?  HUH?

aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #16 of 121
Too expensive.

I would have got it if they had announced it at half that price.

😜
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn’t that your fault? Pay for the update.

I think he means supporting BYOD users. I notice when looking at people's Macs at Starbucks, a lot of users are 1 or 2 versions behind.

post #18 of 121
No word on icloud keychains? Do you think it will come back to iOS soon? Not really working on either iOS or OSX here in Canada???
post #19 of 121

Item not available in the US store :( 

post #20 of 121

Not available in Canada yet. Anyone know when?

Apple's Canadian site even has the "upgrade now" link, but it goes to the US store.

hmmmm

Edited by techno - 10/22/13 at 11:39am

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #21 of 121
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I think he means supporting BYOD users.

Ah, I see. Corporate policy should be to educate users thereon, then.

post #22 of 121

Saw the DED at the Apple event. Talk about focused on an awe inspiring presentation over which the competition and the ScreamQueen of Copy can only drool and weep. As always, my heart and kindly wishes go out to ShockedStung.

And what is MS doing at the moment. Free and balling go together. Tears must be flowing from hyper Steve's pores.

Oh the humanity!

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #23 of 121
While I enjoy my iPhone and iPad, my heart belongs to the Mac. I spend 8 hours every day staring at that thing.

I'm so happy that while it's becoming a smaller part of Apples money making machine, the Mac still gets the full treatment from them.
post #24 of 121

Not available in UK store :-(

post #25 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Awesome! Now make iLife and iWork free too!

Is already is!

post #26 of 121

BY FAR the best news of the day. Always good to see some REALLY interesting Mac-related stuff. Thank you, Apple!

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #27 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

WOW.

This is awesome!!!!

I may not like iOS much but this is just cool. Way to bring some coolness and loyalty back Apple.

I hate iOS7.  The good news from that though is that I won't spend any more money on iDevices so I have more to spend on Mac!  Now with the OS free, I have more money!  Bwahahahaha!  MacPro here I come!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #28 of 121

I would really like to see Mail get the ability to flag emails with notification reminders. That is the one feature I seriously was hooked on with Outlook. 

post #29 of 121

Downloading....... Phew!

post #30 of 121
Picking up a couple of movies from the iTunes Store with all the money I just saved! Must. Give. Apple. Money... 1smile.gif

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

post #31 of 121

I am blown away. Awesome!

post #32 of 121

Free OS X, free iLife, free iWork, cheaper computers. Do you think Apple is trying to capitalize on their success by removing all barriers? :) 

post #33 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I hate iOS7.  The good news from that though is that I won't spend any more money on iDevices so I have more to spend on Mac!  Now with the OS free, I have more money!  Bwahahahaha!  MacPro here I come!

It grows on you. Change is hard.
post #34 of 121

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #35 of 121

I like to thank Apple for giving back! WOW FREE!!!

post #36 of 121
now to find out if iDVD still runs under Mavericks.
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #37 of 121
Originally Posted by drow View Post
now to find out if iDVD still runs under Mavericks.

post #38 of 121

Just FYI: Mavericks has been running nearly perfectly on my ancient 2007 iMac (first-gen aluminum, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.)  And I won't hesitate to use the word "snappy."  Have been running it for weeks and it's much more responsive than Mountain Lion ever was.

Minor glitches: occasional Safari tab crash-and-reload, Time Machine status bar indicator doesn't animate correctly, occasional blank gray iTunes view when running it full-screen.  No major problems though.

Personal favorites: Maps app, Finder tabs.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #39 of 121

Direct Link for Mavericks

post #40 of 121
Downloading here in the UK. I had to download safari 6.1 first oddly yay!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users