or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whatever about iDVD, iMovie HD doesn't run right under Mavericks. If you save a project a try to reopen it it won't reopen so you need to save or export as a one time only opportunity. I hope to God they bring back a decent timeline editor to iMovie this time, because the timeline editor in iMovie '09 more than sucks.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #42 of 121
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iMovie HD doesnt run right under Mavericks. If you save a project a try to reopen it it won't reopen so you need to save or export as a one time only opportunity.

Huh. Haven’t tried it; just kept it for the memories.

I hope to God they bring back a decent timeline editor to iMovie this time, because the timeline editor in iMovie '09 more than sucks. 

Do you mean ’11?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #43 of 121
Great bonus, and for people with lion, and snow leopard are probably glad for not upgrading yet.
post #44 of 121
FREE?!?!

Those sorry SOB's!!!!!!!!

How dare they!!

Giving nothing for the trolls to complain about!!!

How effing DARE THEY!!!
post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

Direct Link for Mavericks

With AI's 5 redirects.

post #46 of 121
Quote:

Do you mean ’11?

I mean iMovie '11 yeah.

post #47 of 121

Huh. I had JUST bitten the bullet and created a ML boot USB over the weekend for my pride of Macs still on Lion. Well, I won't wait two years to create one for Mavericks - if I can get it downloaded today.

post #48 of 121
Developer update for existing Mavericks installations of GM version available under updates now.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #49 of 121

Good business!

post #50 of 121
Won't install on 2008 Mac Pro, downloaded and when installing it booted up and have had black screen for 90 minutes
post #51 of 121
Well, that is my 2008 Mac Pro fucked !!!!!!, screens has been black for over two hrs, hard drive is just spinning
post #52 of 121
I shouldn't be surprised, but boy is 10.9 unstable. Not to mention there are quite a few general rendering bugs, in Safari as well as the OS GUI.
post #53 of 121

While updating from Windows 7 or before does cost money for Windows 8.1, if you have Windows 8, the update is free.

post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Well, that is my 2008 Mac Pro fucked !!!!!!, screens has been black for over two hrs, hard drive is just spinning

I'd probably power it down and reboot at this point. 

post #55 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I would really like to see Mail get the ability to flag emails with notification reminders. That is the one feature I seriously was hooked on with Outlook. 

Ditto. Having the feature natively, without a plug-in of sorts, would be nice.

post #56 of 121
Mavericks GM seed just got a "Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update 1.0" drop on App Store Updates of 479 MB. Oddly, updates show (6) but the list only has one.
post #57 of 121
I'm up and running....all is good..,,now updating iLife and iWork's - all free 1smile.gif
post #58 of 121
Only GarageBand not there yet. I've got Logic Pro anyway 1smile.gif
post #59 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

I shouldn't be surprised, but boy is 10.9 unstable. Not to mention there are quite a few general rendering bugs, in Safari as well as the OS GUI.

got any specifics?

or did you just create the account and start posting to spew fud?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #60 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

got any specifics?

or did you just create the account and start posting to spew fud?

Seconded

How is it unstable? What machine is being used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtua View Post

I'm up and running....all is good..,,now updating iLife and iWork's - all free 1smile.gif

New Mac? Or why would they be free?

post #61 of 121
post #62 of 121

If anybody with Mavericks has time to run CS5 through the gauntlet, I'd love to hear how it performs.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #63 of 121
It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEE!
post #64 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Awesome! Now make iLife and iWork free too!

They are, to new computer, iPhone, and iPad purchases.  

post #65 of 121

I wonder what would happen if they made Logic and Final Cut Pro and Aperture free?   I doubt they will, but it would be an interesting twist.  Now they have to figure out how to make OSX not installable on PC Clone boxes to shut these Hackintosh users down.

post #66 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I think he means supporting BYOD users. I notice when looking at people's Macs at Starbucks, a lot of users are 1 or 2 versions behind.

Which is absolutely ridiculous considering that the updates were only $20 in the past.    The only people who I can understand not updating are those who might not have a high-speed connection, especially since Apple stopped issuing the OS updates on physical media.      Having said that, I was in the office the other day without my Mac, but with my files and I needed to make a Keynote printout.   To my shock, the Mac we have for the designer didn't have Keynote on it.   So I was going to buy it just to get the printout, but it turned out he had too old an OS on his machine and Keynote wouldn't download.   He didn't even realize he had an old OS.   

The $20 was for the OS updates were certainly incredibly reasonable.    Where this does make some sense for Apple is that if they can get the majority (or virtually all) of the users on the same OS version, support costs should go down.    

I really didn't mind paying the $20.    However, the "free" policy also makes sense since the iOS updates are already free.     Provides consistency.    

post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's next-generation desktop operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, is now available on the Mac App Store as a free upgrade for all Mac users running Snow Leopard or above.
Excellent!
As a shareholder, glad that Apple is finally learning how to save (not spend as much) money...
post #68 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If anybody with Mavericks has time to run CS5 through the gauntlet, I'd love to hear how it performs.

I'd love to know the same -- anyone?

post #69 of 121
Quote:

Isn’t that your fault? Pay for the update.

Agreed. Any IT Department complaining about upgrade fees on OS X must be living out of a shoe box.

post #70 of 121

Oh dear, this is just bad, bad awful news.

For Microsoft! 

post #71 of 121
Nope, this has totally wrecked my Mac Pro, cannot even boot up, just get the spinning wheel with Aple logo on white screen.

Don't Apple test anything anymore?,
post #72 of 121
Nope, this has totally wrecked my Mac Pro, cannot even boot up, just get the spinning wheel with Aple logo on white screen.

Don't Apple test anything anymore?,

Nope. Obviously every single Mac Pro that tried to install Mavericks has been bricked by…

Oh, wait, I’ve been running it for months.

post #73 of 121

Ah I never get tired of that Apple installation joke "Time Remaining: one minute". And you just know at that point that you had better be prepared to be patient for 10-20 minutes.

Tags on project files is a huge thing for me. Loving Mavericks already. No problems faced.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #74 of 121
Now I have a dark grey screen asking me for username and password and it is not accepting anything I put in, including my iCloud or iTunes details, or even my administration username and password

So effectively, the mavericks install has bricked me Mac Pro
post #75 of 121

How dumb can people be?

post #76 of 121
Quote:

Now I have a dark grey screen asking me for username and password and it is not accepting anything I put in, including my iCloud or iTunes details, or even my administration username and password

So effectively, the mavericks install has bricked me Mac Pro

Bricked might be an overstatement. I had this issue a few beta releases ago and had to install from scratch then restore from a Time Machine backup. I'd thought they fixed that from Mt. Lion to Mavericks. What version where you on pre-10.9 release?
post #77 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtua View Post

I'm up and running....all is good..,,now updating iLife and iWork's - all free 1smile.gif

I thought iLife was only free with new devices?
post #78 of 121
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post
I thought iLife was only free with new devices?

If you already have it purchased, all updates remain free. It’s free to PURCHASE on new devices if you haven’t ever had it before.

post #79 of 121

Microsoft's really going to wonder "WHY"...

post #80 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Microsoft's really going to wonder "WHY"...

Windows 8 cost money yes, Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX? Everyone has been paying fee's for all the OS X.x versions. I actually bet Apple decided to make it free since Windows 8.1 was free.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users