or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users - Page 3

post #81 of 121

I thought I was lucky getting it to download on the first try.

It was about a one hour install on my late 2011 MacBook Pro.

Looks good so far.

Yay!

post #82 of 121
Originally Posted by killer2239 View Post
Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX?

Because it’s completely and utterly different and you know it. Stop trolling so poorly, for heaven’s sake.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #83 of 121
Quote:

Windows 8 cost money yes, Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX? Everyone has been paying fee's for all the OS X.x versions. I actually bet Apple decided to make it free since Windows 8.1 was free.

Lol ! your kidding me with that response right ?

Anyone can upgrade from any version of Mac OS X, starting from snow leopard released a couple of years back to OS X Maverick.

Windows 8.1 was just a version increment to Windows 8, with nothing big enough to call it Windows 9 !

Stop acting stupid :)

post #84 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Lol ! your kidding me with that response right ?

Anyone can upgrade from any version of Mac OS X, starting from snow leopard released a couple of years back to OS X Maverick.

Windows 8.1 was just a version increment to Windows 8, with nothing big enough to call it Windows 9 !

Stop acting stupid :)

They don't understand the difference between a .X release. For Windows, 8.1 is more like a bug fix whereas with Apple, 10.9 is MORE features so it's a bigger upgrade than a Windows .X upgrade.  Typically MS fan ignorance.  They don't understand the differences.

He might not be able to not act stupid.  It goes with the territory.  :-)

post #85 of 121
I'm using 10.9 and it's RIPPING fast. I don't know what they did, but Safari is ripping fast. I just did a few speed tests in launching a few of my most visited sites and Safari was much faster than Firefox.
post #86 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFog View Post

Seconded

How is it unstable? What machine is being used?

New Mac? Or why would they be free?

I bought the new air in June or July when it came out - so not a new machine, though perhaps apple consider it to be one. I'm not sure but it was a free update.
post #87 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm using 10.9 and it's RIPPING fast. I don't know what they did, but Safari is ripping fast. I just did a few speed tests in launching a few of my most visited sites and Safari was much faster than Firefox.

Hm, optimizations galore? Good to know it is so fast. What machine are you running it on?

post #88 of 121
Windows 8.1 was more about sorting out a poorly thought out windows 8. It has fixed a lot of things and is major in that sense, but it's still not the finished article. It's free because it has to be - ms have really outdone themselves from their vista days.

Mavericks on the other hand is very progressive and efficient - especially with the under the hood battery and ram features - apple is in a completely different space. ML was cheap anyway....making this free is just makes it a no brainer for everyone to upgrade.
post #89 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...

Apple is just trying to get all of the users to the latest OS version as quickly as possible for a variety of reasons.

The sooner the users shift, the sooner they don't have to take support calls on older versions of OS.  So it probably costs less in the long run, plus it's just easier for users of OS X and iOS since they are tying the two together in a lot of ways and it will just allow users to get the best experience.

"MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT."????  What do you mean?  Where do you work?   A well run IT shop should always migrate to the latest OS as soon as they can.  I've never regretted updating to a new version of OS X.    So far, this version looks quite good. I've not had ANY problems so far and everything i typically do works.

post #90 of 121
Quote:

Windows 8 cost money yes, Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX? Everyone has been paying fee's for all the OS X.x versions. I actually bet Apple decided to make it free since Windows 8.1 was free.

You do know that .x updates on Windows are just like service packs, right? of which every .x OSX-Update got historically 5 to 12 (that is: OS 10.8.5, for example)?

.x OSX-Updates are the equivalent of a full new name/version number in Windows territory: XP, Vista, 7, 8.

If you are coming to AI talk Macs with no knowledge, you're gonna have a bad time.

post #91 of 121

The update seems totally fine. It was a smooth installation and everything was up and running without much fuss. There's not a lot of features that i'm going to be using with this update. The newer Safari is welcome and the Maps Application is pretty convenient. Otherwise it just seems more service pack like to me with lots of under the hood stuff. I imagine people on MacBooks will appreciate the under the hood stuff more than the Mac Mini owners such as myself. I can't complain though, Apple's new strategy of providing free OSX updates along with free iLife/iWork with new Apple devices is pretty stellar change that I absolutely welcome. Just the other day I was wondering why Apple would even bother to charge $20 for an OS update as it seemed tacky, especially when the more drastic iOS 7 is free for most iPhone/iPad owners. I'm glad they thought the same thing. 

post #92 of 121
Does anybody have a link that shows how to download 10.9 so it can be loaded on a new partition?
post #93 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaipau View Post

You do know that .x updates on Windows are just like service packs, right? of which every .x OSX-Update got historically 5 to 12 (that is: OS 10.8.5, for example)?

.x OSX-Updates are the equivalent of a full new name/version number in Windows territory: XP, Vista, 7, 8.

If you are coming to AI talk Macs with no knowledge, you're gonna have a bad time.

There are a handful of Anti Apple people trolling around spreading misleading BS because they have nothing better to do.  They are just afraid because they are seeing their beloved platform get their asses handed to them because of what Apple and Android is doing since Windows phones and tablets aren't selling and their desktop/laptop platform is eroding and they are afraid of not being part of the monopolistic BS that Microsoft has had for so long.  Microsoft and their products get little or no attention so their hard core users have to troll and mislead people because of their internal fear.

They can be VERY annoying.  I'm sure a bunch, not all, are teenage kids with the attention span of a gnat and all they do is play games, hack OS X OS to put on their POS clone box they slapped together so they can act like computer experts.

I'm surprised AI has allowed them to continue, if I was AI, they would be cut off immediately with all of their posts.

post #94 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Does anybody have a link that shows how to download 10.9 so it can be loaded on a new partition?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2055518/installing-mavericks-what-you-need-to-know.html

post #95 of 121

On my late 2011 8GB 17" MacBook Pro, everything feels much faster - even Firefox.

Windows open faster, boot time is reduced, and when you log into your account, ALL your "launch at login" apps immediately appear more or less simultaniously. Bam! Not sure how they do that magic!

Oddly, Mail seems to take a bit longer sorting and searching emails, but I have 20GB of emails so maybe it's busy indexing everything?

Photoshop CS6 opens at least twice as fast as it used to, and opens image files a lot faster too!

Well done Apple! A great upgrade for everyone, it seems. *kisses*

post #96 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you already have it purchased, all updates remain free. It’s free to PURCHASE on new devices if you haven’t ever had it before.

I was about to ask you, 'then why don't I have any updates for these?' But then I looked at the number of updates available. I had to quite App Store and relaunch to show the individual items. lol 

post #97 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I was about to ask you, 'then why don't I have any updates for these?' But then I looked at the number of updates available. I had to quite App Store and relaunch to show the individual items. lol 

Icons in Dock are not changed except for iPhoto. I launch apps, nothing looks new. I go to Applications and launch Pages, and I get the welcome screen.

I randomly selected a file to open in Pages and was told it was too old to first save in '09. After clicking open in '09, the old icon in the Dock bounces and opens Pages '09. So both copies of each of each program are active? 

Try launching the new Keynote, then which no windows open, two finger tap the icon in the Dock. Don't select anything, but then tap the desktop. Does Keynote then quite on you? 

post #98 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...

I don't understand how that is any different from what every other developer on other platforms experiences. The Mac at least has a lot LESS fragmentation.

You will still have people who don't bother to update. You will just have more people on the current OS.

It's probably a lot easier to have one platform, but you may just be in a situation where you are just overworked... ;-)

post #99 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

On my late 2011 8GB 17" MacBook Pro, everything feels much faster - even Firefox.

Windows open faster, boot time is reduced, and when you log into your account, ALL your "launch at login" apps immediately appear more or less simultaniously. Bam! Not sure how they do that magic!

Oddly, Mail seems to take a bit longer sorting and searching emails, but I have 20GB of emails so maybe it's busy indexing everything?

Photoshop CS6 opens at least twice as fast as it used to, and opens image files a lot faster too!

Well done Apple! A great upgrade for everyone, it seems. *kisses*

Well, when running apps are not active, there are parts in RAM and parts on the hard drive as virtual memory. So the "magic" is probably just creating a better/smarter caching structure so that they save the "virtual memory" bit separate from the active "in ram"bit, and then when they spool from disk to reactivate, they don't have to re-read everything and move parts to RAM -- they just read from disk the active memory and leave a pointer to the cache. Probably 1/10th the load it takes to come out of hibernation.

Just my guessing.

post #100 of 121

Try unplugging all devices from the back of the mac to allow start up process to continue beyond the white screen.

post #101 of 121
Quote:

Icons in Dock are not changed except for iPhoto. I launch apps, nothing looks new. I go to Applications and launch Pages, and I get the welcome screen.

I randomly selected a file to open in Pages and was told it was too old to first save in '09. After clicking open in '09, the old icon in the Dock bounces and opens Pages '09. So both copies of each of each program are active? 

Try launching the new Keynote, then which no windows open, two finger tap the icon in the Dock. Don't select anything, but then tap the desktop. Does Keynote then quite on you? 

iMovie icon changed, it's purple instead of yellow.  iPhone is different, I think they should have left the photo in the iPhoto icon the way it was or change it another way.  iBooks icon is also different.

post #102 of 121
Quote:

iMovie icon changed, it's purple instead of yellow.  iPhone is different, I think they should have left the photo in the iPhoto icon the way it was or change it another way.  iBooks icon is also different.

Yes, I know they changed, but they did not update on my Dock. What did happen is the upgrade left the old version in tact while installing the new, without creating icons for the new on the Dock, except iPhoto. 

post #103 of 121
Quote:

Yes, I know they changed, but they did not update on my Dock. What did happen is the upgrade left the old version in tact while installing the new, without creating icons for the new on the Dock, except iPhoto. 

I don't know what to tell you.  Mine changed as soon as I launched the app.

What I did before I installed 10.9 is I ran verify and fix permissions BEFORE I downloaded 10.9.  I don't know if that was what makes the difference or not, but that's what I did and then there were a few app updates, etc. after I downloaded 10.9 and then everything worked.

Maybe you should try running the permissions verify/fix if you haven't already.  IT's worth a try.

post #104 of 121
Quote:

I don't know what to tell you.  Mine changed as soon as I launched the app.

What I did before I installed 10.9 is I ran verify and fix permissions BEFORE I downloaded 10.9.  I don't know if that was what makes the difference or not, but that's what I did and then there were a few app updates, etc. after I downloaded 10.9 and then everything worked.

Maybe you should try running the permissions verify/fix if you haven't already.  IT's worth a try.

Sorry, I was not looking for answers :)  I simply dragged the icons to my dock and removed the old ones. 

post #105 of 121

I am using it and loving it. I guess people have seen this right? 

https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/

It is spreading very fast.

post #106 of 121

Installed on a MacBook Pro Retina yesterday to check essential app compatibility.  Everything checked out so I am updating several machines today.  So far it is going smoothly.

Love finder tabs and tags. 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #107 of 121
i upgraded my "customac" mountain lion install to mavericks... a bit difficult (because i am not using "real" apple hardware) yet i was able to do it!...

make usb stick. (unibeast)
install Mavericks on existing disk... (or freshly partitioned for new install)
boot using usb stick...
use multibeast to install the "magic" needed to boot from the HDD...

credit to "tonymacx86"

if you are looking to go the "customac" route, new install is the easiest, and the secret is using a Gigabyte Motherboard. (and intel hd4000 or higher graphics...)
post #108 of 121
I am so grateful to Apple for providing this free upgrade. I purchased a new MacBook Pro a few weeks prior to this upgrade announcement and there was NO way I could afford the cost of an OS X upgrade so soon after a major purchase like this one. I love the new features this upgrade provides.
post #109 of 121

I finally found out what the problem is with Safari and this website and maybe a few others.  It's not Safari from what i read in the crash report.  It's Java.

post #110 of 121

For those with SSDs with limited space, has anybody calculated the amount of drive space Mavericks uses compared to ML? I'm running ML with less than 5GB of space.

post #111 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

For those with SSDs with limited space, has anybody calculated the amount of drive space Mavericks uses compared to ML? I'm running ML with less than 5GB of space.

I'm assuming you are referring to "space" in terms of how much space it's taking up on the drive?  Are you considering the System Folder contents, Updater Folder, etc.?   It might actually depend on what computer you are using and maybe what other control panel/etc. 3rd party "crap" "apps" installed that are thrown into the OS.   I'm sure the size difference isn't the different than to that of ML.  I don't think it's a lot bigger or smaller.  

When you figured out how much space ML, how did you arrive at that 5GB measurement?  Just curious.

post #112 of 121
Quote:

I'm assuming you are referring to "space" in terms of how much space it's taking up on the drive?  Are you considering the System Folder contents, Updater Folder, etc.?   It might actually depend on what computer you are using and maybe what other control panel/etc. 3rd party "crap" "apps" installed that are thrown into the OS.   I'm sure the size difference isn't the different than to that of ML.  I don't think it's a lot bigger or smaller.  

When you figured out how much space ML, how did you arrive at that 5GB measurement?  Just curious.

By " drive space", I mean, after upgrading from ML to Mavericks, do you have more or less significant (>1GB) drive space. All other folders or apps wouldn't be a factor since you're just upgrading the OS.

My 5GB "measurement" is ML stating that my SSD has about 5GB of drive space available.

post #113 of 121
Quote:

By " drive space", I mean, after upgrading from ML to Mavericks, do you have more or less significant (>1GB) drive space. All other folders or apps wouldn't be a factor since you're just upgrading the OS.

My 5GB "measurement" is ML stating that my SSD has about 5GB of drive space available.

It probably won't be that big of a difference.  If you are running at only 5GB of drive space available, you should consider dumping as much stuff off.  There is a rule of thumb for modern OSs to have at least a certain amount of free space, otherwise you could experience the system to slow down to the point where it's useless.

I wouldn't go down to 5GB of drive space available.  I forget the percentage amount, but for a desktop OS, I would keep at LEAST 20% or more. That's my own personal opinion, not what is recommended by Apple.

You might want to consider cleaning up and deleting or saving off as much data that you don't need, deleting apps you don't use to free up space.  That's just good data management practices.   

If you have 16GB of RAM, then I would make sure you have at least 16GB of free disk space if possible since if you run out of RAM, the system starts memory swapping with the drive.  Now they are using data compression for RAM and I haven't even experienced that yet, since I have a LOT more RAM than I normally use.  It only starts to use compression, from what I read, once you start utilizing more of your installed RAM.  So, for optimal performance, make sure you have plenty of RAM and available disk space so it doesn't slow down performance.

Edited by drblank - 10/30/13 at 11:38am
post #114 of 121
Quote:

Oh, there is a VERY good resource meter s/w that's FREEEEEEEE!!!!!! (donation based) that puts menus where you can monitor pretty much everything.  it's called MenuMeters (easy to remember) and it's available from www.ragingmenace.com.  It is customizable.  the only downfall is that you have to check for updates as it doesn't do it automatically.  It's the best of its kind app, so have fun with it.

post #115 of 121
On October 22, 2013 I saw the light. I kicked the habit. I kicked the comfort zone, which wasn’t that comforting - at all. I refrained from doing it again, and everything changed. Life around me started to change. People thought I was weird, never expected this from me. But I was persistent, I wanted to go through life without it.

It wasn’t so much an addiction but more of a necessity: I really wanted to kick the habit of using it, but just couldn’t; nothing would work anymore. No more fun, no more games with friends, no way to find myself back, no way home.

Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9. Did install it on 10.7 in a VM, so there, Adobe, you can chalk that one up.

Hardly ever use it, really. Sometimes for Street View. Stupid thing is, when ever I come across a site that requires Flash, I just grab my 1st Gen iPad. It just works, even though I cannot add addiction to it.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #116 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

On October 22, 2013 I saw the light. I kicked the habit. I kicked the comfort zone, which wasn’t that comforting - at all. I refrained from doing it again, and everything changed. Life around me started to change. People thought I was weird, never expected this from me. But I was persistent, I wanted to go through life without it.

It wasn’t so much an addiction but more of a necessity: I really wanted to kick the habit of using it, but just couldn’t; nothing would work anymore. No more fun, no more games with friends, no way to find myself back, no way home.

Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9. Did install it on 10.7 in a VM, so there, Adobe, you can chalk that one up.

Hardly ever use it, really. Sometimes for Street View. Stupid thing is, when ever I come across a site that requires Flash, I just grab my 1st Gen iPad. It just works, even though I cannot add addiction to it.

I think they fixed problems with Flash with 10.9.  From what I read, they sandboxed it to avoid security issues. I have no problems with Flash that I'm aware of. The biggest problem is just with Java so far.  Other than that, I can't think of any other problems.  I did make sure that the apps that I use frequently have been updated for Mavericks and I think that's the biggest problems for most.

I've read where people are installing 10.9 and doing so without checking to see if their frequently used apps have been updated, which is not a good practice.

The first thing people need to do is check all apps to verity if they actually work with the latest major update, if not, then it's probably not wise to install it until your apps have be updated.

post #117 of 121
Quote:

I think they fixed problems with Flash with 10.9.  From what I read, they sandboxed it to avoid security issues. I have no problems with Flash that I'm aware of. The biggest problem is just with Java so far.  Other than that, I can't think of any other problems.  I did make sure that the apps that I use frequently have been updated for Mavericks and I think that's the biggest problems for most.

I've read where people are installing 10.9 and doing so without checking to see if their frequently used apps have been updated, which is not a good practice.

The first thing people need to do is check all apps to verity if they actually work with the latest major update, if not, then it's probably not wise to install it until your apps have be updated.

Heh heh, I was just having a little fun, being slow day today here on AI. But yes, thanks for a mature post.

Very true, people should check their software before any major upgrade. Heck, not only do I do that, I also backup, yeah, and guess what, I actually test that backup, see if everything works. Easy to do with an 'old school' MP; I can swap HDD's at the flick of a finger and test all this.

So, yes, Flash. I am actually enjoying a 'flicker-tee' Internet as I don't have anything flash before my eyes. I do however have the inevitable 'missing-plugin', obviously. While on 10.8 I also didn't have it installed, but Street View, or lack thereof, got me. So I installed it about a month before 10.9. Now back to Flash Free. It's better than Click2Flash because now I'm really reporting I don't have it installed.

A legacy software, what can one do?
post #118 of 121
Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9.

If you ever need to view a Flash-only element, just download it and play it in the Flash Projector. That’s what I do.

Yes, that’s a custom shipping container icon. Seemed fitting. :p

post #119 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you ever need to view a Flash-only element, just download it and play it in the Flash Projector. That’s what I do.

[Img]Yes, that’s a custom shipping container icon. Seemed fitting. 

That's good tip! I saw this page, but they have a 14MB .dmg over there. Am I looking at it wrong?

Funny pic!

Edit , sorry, this page:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
post #120 of 121
That's good tip! I saw this page, but they have a 14MB .dmg over there. Am I looking at it wrong?

Nope, that’s right. DMGs compress like other filetypes do (ZIP, RAR, etc.), so the DMG size will be smaller than the file that comes out of it.

That grab there is after I manually deleted the other language files inside it; only about a megabyte, but who needs Chinese or Czech, anyway?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users