or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces thinner 13" Retina MacBook Pro with Intel Iris graphics, 9 hours of battery life
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces thinner 13" Retina MacBook Pro with Intel Iris graphics, 9 hours of battery...

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display has been updated with a thinner, lighter design featuring Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors and a new lower starting price of $1,299.

MBP


Featuring the latest Intel Haswell-series processors, the latest 13-inch model is both thinner and lighter than the last generation, at 0.71 inches thick and 3.46 pounds. Apple has also managed to squeeze more juice from the battery, pegging runtime at up to nine hours --?two hours more than before.

Some of the battery life gains come from Apple's new OS X Mavericks operating system, which Apple software chief Craig Federighi said was a major push during Mavericks's development.

The new MacBook Pro also gains 802.11ac Wi-Fi, just as the MacBook Air did earlier this year, increasing Wi-Fi transfer speed to up to three times that of 802.11n. Two Thunderbolt 2 ports deliver up to 20 gigabits per second of data throughput to connected devices, though current third party hardware is limited.

MBP


The base $1,299 model comes with a 2.5 gigahertz dual-core Intel i5 processor, 4 gigabytes of RAM and 128 gigabytes of solid-state storage. Intel's Iris graphics chipset is responsible for pushing pixels to the high-resolution Retina display. Apple says Intel's Iris chip is up to 90 percent faster than the graphics processors found in previous-generation systems.

Higher-priced variants can be specced with faster dual-core Intel i7 chips up to 2.8 gigahertz with Turbo Boost up to 3.3 gigahertz. All Retina-equipped MacBook Pro models now feature faster PCI-e storage interfaces.

Apple's legacy 13-inch non-Retina MacBook continues to be available, now as the only Apple laptop that does not feature a high-resolution display. Apple quietly discontinued the 15-inch version of the optical drive-wielding model after Wednesday's event.

For those planning to buy a new Mac, who may still be using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.8 Lion, Apple has provided Migration Assistant software to ease data transfer.

Check AppleInsider's Mac Price guide for a full model listing in the coming hours.
post #2 of 39

Yay! I think I'm getting a new MBP!

Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
post #3 of 39

What a deal.  Phenomenal value now with the Intel 5000 graphics.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What a deal.  Phenomenal value now with the Intel 5000 graphics.

They also have 16GB RAM options, which they didn't on the 13" but the entry 13" rMBP isn't great as it was dropped down from 8GB to 4GB, likely to aid the price drop and it will still allocate 1GB for the GPU so that leaves 3GB for apps.

Nice to see them using Iris, although it isn't much different from the 4600. Iris Pro is the one for performance. Iris is closer to a 630M. Iris would be around half the performance of a 650M for real-time graphics. For OpenCL though, it should still rival a 650M. I'd have liked to see a quad-core CPU at the top-end but I think they should perform well enough at these price points and the quads have quite a high TDP.

They might have kept the bottom cMBP around because of the storage issue. It doesn't matter so much on the 15" as it starts with 256GB but 128GB is quite low.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

What a deal.  Phenomenal value now with the Intel 5000 graphics.

The updated 13" at 1299.00 only comes with 4GB or ram which is a downgrade from the previous model. Not really that great of a deal. No "Pro" model should come with less than 8GB of ram standard. My opinion anyways. 

post #6 of 39
Wow 4GBs of RAM, like in 2010? What is this?
post #7 of 39
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post
Wow 4GBs of RAM, like in 2010? What is this?

 

An optimized OS. Why, do you think computers actually NEED 8GB to even run? This isn’t Windows.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #8 of 39
Glad I've never liked Laptops. I wouldn't want to be limited to a 1TB PCI-E SSD drive, no matter how `cool' it is to have reduced that read/write gap.

Limited to 16GB of RAM is a non-starter for myself. Make it 4x8GB DDR3 1866 RAM upgradeable and they'd own the laptop world, top-to-bottom.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

An optimized OS. Why, do you think computers actually NEED 8GB to even run? This isn’t Windows.

 

Stop being a contrarian for a second. OS X running any serious applications will want 16GB never mind 8GB. They should have covered the broadest professional market possible, and they didn't.

post #10 of 39
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
I wouldn't want to be limited to a 1TB PCI-E SSD drive, no matter how `cool' it is to have reduced that read/write gap.

 

*coughMacProcough* ;)

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


They also have 16GB RAM options, which they didn't on the 13" but the entry 13" rMBP isn't great as it was dropped down from 8GB to 4GB, likely to aid the price drop and it will still allocate 1GB for the GPU so that leaves 3GB for apps.

Nice to see them using Iris, although it isn't much different from the 4600. Iris Pro is the one for performance. Iris is closer to a 630M. Iris would be around half the performance of a 650M for real-time graphics. For OpenCL though, it should still rival a 650M. I'd have liked to see a quad-core CPU at the top-end but I think they should perform well enough at these price points and the quads have quite a high TDP.

They might have kept the bottom cMBP around because of the storage issue. It doesn't matter so much on the 15" as it starts with 256GB but 128GB is quite low.

 

The only reason the Iris Pro graphics for OpenCL might be decent wrt the 650M is because Nvidia's design is garbage for OpenCL. Now if Apple had the 8900M by AMD you would be grinning from ear to ear on how Apple got serious about OpenCL on the MacBook Pro.

post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post
 

The updated 13" at 1299.00 only comes with 4GB or ram which is a downgrade from the previous model. Not really that great of a deal. No "Pro" model should come with less than 8GB of ram standard. My opinion anyways. 

But to be fair- this isn't really their "pro" model- I would think most pros would either upgrade their specs or get the 15".  Better to get it 4gb ram at $1299 for consumers and have the option to go to 8gb for an additional $100 for the "pros".  And unless my math has deteriorated- $1,399 is still less than $1,499.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 39

The new MacBook Pros make the Air-versus-Pro decision harder, and that's a good thing.  My last 3 MacBooks have been Airs, I expect my next will be a Pro--and I only add half a pound of weight.

post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

But to be fair- this isn't really their "pro" model- I would think most pros would either upgrade their specs or get the 15".  Better to get it 4gb ram at $1299 for consumers and have the option to go to 8gb for an additional $100 for the "pros".  And unless my math has deteriorated- $1,399 is still less than $1,499.

Maverick makes 4GB of ram acceptable. Just hard to see someone that truly needs a Pro model use 4GB or ram and 128SSD. I agree that 4GB of ram is different in any version of OSX compared to 4GB on any version of Windows. With Maverick even more so. 

post #15 of 39

Hello. Can someone tell me - if a person gets a Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM is it possible to upgrade later to 16GB or are you stuck with what you first get? Asking because I read something about not all Apple computers are upgradable.

 

-Thanks.

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

An optimized OS. Why, do you think computers actually NEED 8GB to even run? This isn’t Windows.

True. Maverick is truly remarkable when it comes to it's resource usage. My main point was the price reduction was at least in part to the reduction of ram on the standard configuration. They need to take the word Pro off the 1280x800, 4GB of ram and 5400hdd model. Better yet dumb it. 

post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post
 

Hello. Can someone tell me - if a person gets a Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM is it possible to upgrade later to 16GB or are you stuck with what you first get? Asking because I read something about not all Apple computers are upgradable.

 

-Thanks.

What you get it what you'll get.  Get what you'll need for however long you plan on having the system.  The good news is that Apple hardware holds its resale value tremendously, so you'll never take a huge bath either way.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hello. Can someone tell me - if a person gets a Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM is it possible to upgrade later to 16GB or are you stuck with what you first get? Asking because I read something about not all Apple computers are upgradable.

-Thanks.
No, you may not upgrade later (unless your a pro at it) you are stuck with the internals you buy at start, so if all you need now is 80 gb and 4 ram, but in 3 years, you need 200 gb and 10 ram you need to buy it now. The only upgradable ones now are out of date and desktops(most of them).
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

What you get it what you'll get.  Get what you'll need for however long you plan on having the system.  The good news is that Apple hardware holds its resale value tremendously, so you'll never take a huge bath either way.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post


No, you may not upgrade later (unless your a pro at it) you are stuck with the internals you buy at start, so if all you need now is 80 gb and 4 ram, but in 3 years, you need 200 gb and 10 ram you need to buy it now. The only upgradable ones now are out of date and desktops(most of them).


Thank you, both. Appreciated.

post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only reason the Iris Pro graphics for OpenCL might be decent wrt the 650M is because Nvidia's design is garbage for OpenCL. Now if Apple had the 8900M by AMD you would be grinning from ear to ear on how Apple got serious about OpenCL on the MacBook Pro.

Anything 89xx would draw too much power. Realistically it would be the 8790M, which is still a lot faster at OpenCL but dedicated GPUs are clearly going away from the laptop line. This helps with reliability and they'll run cooler too. Phil said 25% less power draw so down from about 90W to under 70W meaning no draining the battery while maxed out and the 85W power supply should stay cooler at full load.
post #21 of 39
I can get Lenovos with a quad-core Haswell CPU and discrete 755m SLI GPUs, 1080p display, 15", 2.7kgs for less than 1200 euros. Do I want to pay 2600 euros for a similar setup in the form of a late 2013 MBP 15" but little less weight and better display?
post #22 of 39
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post
less than 1200 euros. Do I want to pay 2600 euros

 

This is the price of truly exceptional hardware and software.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I can get Lenovos with a quad-core Haswell CPU and discrete 755m SLI GPUs, 1080p display, 15", 2.7kgs for less than 1200 euros. Do I want to pay 2600 euros for a similar setup in the form of a late 2013 MBP 15" but little less weight and better display?

You'd be comparing these:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Lenovo has about 12% gross margins so even for an identical build in a 1200 euro machine, Apple would charge about 1500 euros. Apple charges about 300 euros for 256GB of SSD (this SSD operates at over 700MB/s) and the higher-end Lenovo uses one of those hybrid SSDs.

If it's a gaming laptop you want, the new rMBP is not great value. For that, you'd be better off with a refurb of the old model with the 650M (the 750M is just a rebadge):

http://store.apple.com/fi/browse/home/specialdeals/clearance/mac

those are sitting around 30% off the old price, which I assume on the Finnish store would be under 1400 euros. They seem to have hosed out refurbs from every store, possibly to update pricing.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Glad I've never liked Laptops. I wouldn't want to be limited to a 1TB PCI-E SSD drive, no matter how `cool' it is to have reduced that read/write gap.

Limited to 16GB of RAM is a non-starter for myself. Make it 4x8GB DDR3 1866 RAM upgradeable and they'd own the laptop world, top-to-bottom.

Glad you've never liked laptops either since clearly you seem to enjoys throwing around high-end desktop specs on a notebook thread. If 16GB is a non-starter then the notebook world is obviously not for you. I hate to be baited, but I'm curious - what do you think you need that much and that fast RAM for? And why would you even comment on the MBP when it's obviously not for you?

Oh screw it, I don't really care...
post #25 of 39
Originally Posted by Crudman View Post
high-end desktop specs

 

Don’t the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro (and MacBook Air) now use the same storage?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don’t the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro (and MacBook Air) now use the same storage?

Same type of storage, yes, but mdriftmeyer wants 32GB of RAM (upgradable of course!) in a notebook.

I was focusing more on his inane 2nd paragraph and less on his pointless 1st one. Sorry for the confusion.
post #27 of 39
Originally Posted by Crudman View Post
mdriftmeyer wants 32GB of RAM

 

There’s nothing wrong with wanting a 32GB option, particularly since there isn’t one.

 

Wait… there isn’t one?! How can they justify that? It doesn’t have to be user-accessible at all, just GIVE US 32 GB! Wh… it’s the MacBook Pro. It has to have… look, do they want people doing pro stuff on the thing at all? Yeah, it would be expensive; that’s the point! At least right now.

 

I’m not for user-accessible RAM, but I am for a 32GB option. Weird… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait… there isn’t one?! How can they justify that? It doesn’t have to be user-accessible at all, just GIVE US 32 GB!

32GB will come with higher density DDR4. Laptops that support it now have 4 RAM slots. You can see the RAM chips in the middle here:



There's no room to double the number of chips. Higher density is the only option. Maybe with the dedicated GPU out the way they could shuffle things around to fit in another row to get 24GB in the 15" but DDR4 is round the corner anyway. They go from 8gbit DDR3 chips to 16gbit DDR4:

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr3-to-ddr4

8gbit = 1gbyte and the MBP has 16 x 8gbit chips.

http://www.crucial.com/promo/DDR4.aspx

This will allow the iMac to go to 64GB and the Mac Pro to go to 128GB etc. Should be next year but maybe the year after.
post #29 of 39
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
32GB will come with higher density DDR4. There's no room to double the number of chips. 

 

So DDR3 has a hard (architectural?) limitation to its density? Or they’re just not interested in making denser chips?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
32GB will come with higher density DDR4. 
There's no room to double the number of chips. 

So DDR3 has a hard (architectural?) limitation to its density? Or they’re just not interested in making denser chips?

I'd say it's more likely the latter. The advantage to changing the standard is that everyone who wants the higher density option has to upgrade. If they just made higher density DDR3, a lot of manufacturers would stick to DDR3 and offer higher density chips for the few that need them, which isn't very cost-effective for RAM manufacturers wanting to push DDR4 and its other benefits.
post #31 of 39

Just out of curiosity, what's the release date on this? Or would I be better off just picking up last year's model and saving a few bucks?

Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
post #32 of 39
Originally Posted by AtDIelement View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the release date on this?

 

Yesterday.

 
Or would I be better off just picking up last year's model and saving a few bucks? 

 

No.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yesterday.

 

No.

Thanks! This will be my first Mac I've ever picked up, so wasn't too sure on the specifics.

Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Glad I've never liked Laptops. I wouldn't want to be limited to a 1TB PCI-E SSD drive, no matter how `cool' it is to have reduced that read/write gap.

Limited to 16GB of RAM is a non-starter for myself. Make it 4x8GB DDR3 1866 RAM upgradeable and they'd own the laptop world, top-to-bottom.

 

I can't tell if this post is serious or not. If it is, what the **** do you use your computer for, in that you're "limited" by 1TB of storage and 16GB RAM? I am honestly curious. I'm a designer and work with huge Illustrator/Photoshop files, with like 20 apps open, and my 4GB/256GB Macbook Air handles almost everything perfectly. So I really want to know what kind of work you're doing in that 16GB of RAM is "limiting" for you on a laptop. My suspicion is that you're simply a spec whore for the sake of it, and don't really do anything that requires any sort of power. 


Edited by Slurpy - 10/24/13 at 7:46pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't tell if this post is serious or not. If it is, what the **** do you use your computer for, in that you're "limited" by 1TB of storage and 16GB RAM? I am honestly curious. I'm a designer and work with huge Illustrator/Photoshop files, with like 20 apps open, and my 4GB/256GB Macbook Air handles almost everything perfectly. So I really want to know what kind of work you're doing in that 16GB of RAM is "limiting" for you on a laptop. My suspicion is that you're simply a spec whore for the sake of it, and don't really do anything that requires any sort of power.

16GB is a decent amount but there are apps that can use all of it. Design apps have a single process; software like After Effects, Final Cut etc have two or more. So you can be working on a project with layers and exceed 8GB, which seems ok but then to export, the render process can load up another 8GB of data and max out the RAM, especially if there's an IGP using 1GB for video memory, the OS etc using 2GB. Same deal if you run just 3 apps using 6GB each e.g Photoshop with multiple comps, AE with those layers plus the render output.

All that happens is it uses virtual memory so it's not the end of the world and some apps can be shut down to free memory but the internal might be a low capacity SSD and that can create some problems.

However, the idea that 32GB in a laptop is necessary for Apple's laptop line to be more successful is not based in reality. This is just the same false notion that people who benefit from the highest spec somehow make up a large number of people when in fact they make up a tiny fractional share of the target audience.

When 32GB comes in 1-2 years with DDR4, the same people will move onto saying '64GB is now a minimum for any serious work and their sales would double instantly if they had the option guaranteed' and so on.
post #36 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's legacy 13-inch non-Retina MacBook continues to be available, now as the only Apple laptop that does not feature a high-resolution display.

 

APPLE DISCONTINUED THE AIR?!

post #37 of 39

how much usable space as delivered for the mbp  256 ssd

 

trying to figure out how much of my present macbook to offload to external on my new timecapsule

thank you

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how much usable space as delivered for the mbp  256 ssd

trying to figure out how much of my present macbook to offload to external on my new timecapsule
thank you

If I had to guess, I would probably say 8-12 GB, so you have 244-248 GB for yourself.
post #39 of 39

thanks

i'm moving my two MB c2d    iPhoto and iTunes to external connected to my time capsule

 

i thought about using wireless with a tm backup, since ac is on TC and my new MBP

shouldn't take that long   can't find any reference except using "n" network which was said to be painfully slow

 

or

 

use an ethernet connection to both computers

 

can't wait will get them today

 

suggestions?? anyone try the wireless route using AC 

 

 

what i'm thinking since much of my HD on my old mb shows "other"   i may just transfer just the absolute needed

then see what happens   then if i need something else connect my old mb and transfer those

trying to transfer the minimum to make this work

 

also after transferring iTunes (organized, all data) to my external   sync worked just as well as my main hd 

that was a pleasant surprise

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces thinner 13" Retina MacBook Pro with Intel Iris graphics, 9 hours of battery life