or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's updated 15" MacBook Pro features Intel Crystalwell graphics, starts at $1999

Apple's updated 15" MacBook Pro features Intel Crystalwell graphics, starts at $1999

post #1 of 71
Apple's premium 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display was refreshed on Tuesday with a lower starting price of $1,999, while adding features such as 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Intel Crystalwell graphics to the package.

New MacBook Pros

Along with the $200 price drop, which extends down to the new 13-inch model, Apple's latest flagship notebook features faster PCIe flash, as well as an optional GeForce GT 750M graphics processor. The refreshed laptop boasts the latest Intel quad-core Haswell processors with battery life extending to eight hours. Contributing some of that extra time is the latest edition of OS X --?Mavericks -- which comes with power-saving features

With the base configuration, the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display ships with a 2.0 gigahertz quad-core Intel i7 processor, 8 gigabytes of memory and 256 gigabytes of storage. This model drops the discrete GPU for integrated Intel Iris Pro graphics, though higher-end versions can be kitted with the GeForce GT 750M discrete graphics chip with 2 gigabytes of dedicated video memory.

Also available as an add-on option is a faster 2.6 gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8 gigahertz.

New 15-inch MacBook Pro

Coming along for the ride on both models is next-generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which Apple says delivers wireless performance improvements of up to three times that of 802.11n. The 15-inch model also boasts two second-generation Thunderbolt ports capable of transmitting data at up to 20 gigabits per second to each connected device.

At the same time, Apple quietly discontinued the non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro. The 13-inch MacBook pro variant is now the only remaining Apple laptop to feature an optical drive and a spinning hard disk.

For those upgrading to a new Mac who may still be using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.8 Lion, Apple has provided Migration Assistant software to ease data transfer to your new system. More information on the release can be found here.

AppleInsider will be updating the Mac Price guide with the latest MacBook Pro later today.
post #2 of 71
yep I called it. No more discrete, integrated Iris Pro.
post #3 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

Discrete is available on the 15"
post #4 of 71

discrete is optional.

post #5 of 71
@un_plug--No you didn't call it. Perhaps you should read a little more.
"The new notebook features faster PCIe flash, as well as an optional GeForce GT 750M graphics processor."

That is a discrete GPU.
post #6 of 71
The cheapest 13" MBP Retina might be okayish value for money.
post #7 of 71
Yep typed too fast- wonder how much that option is going to be? The Iris Pro is pretty powerful depending on cost the GT750 might not be worth it.
post #8 of 71
Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

Nope, you didn’t. Nothing has changed.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #9 of 71

Unfortunately Apple looks like they discontinued the non-retina.   Sadly, this puts me in a windows 8.1 machine now.

post #10 of 71

Hmmm.

So the MacBook Pro retina without Tax is USD$1999. Doing a currency conversion then adding 20% VAT you're looking at about GBP£1500, which is the starting price of the normal "fat" MacBook Pro in England. Getting rid of the older generation at last, maybe?

Either way, my MacBook Pro (1st gen thunderbolt) may be getting replaced sometime soon. ;)

Looking at (albeit gaming) benchmarks of the Iris Pro/HD5200 graphics chip on Notebookcheck, it appears to handle pretty beefy video games at decent frame rates and settings. If it is £1500, that would make it a really good bargain yet still more effective than the previous GT650M Chipset.

... at night.

... at night.

post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Unfortunately Apple looks like they discontinued the non-retina.   Sadly, this puts me in a windows 8.1 machine now.

Why would it? From what I gather the price drop on the retina puts it in the same ballpark as the non-retina.

If its a DVD drive you're after, just get a cheap Samsung USB one or something for £15 and call it a day.

... at night.

... at night.

post #12 of 71

Enjoy crap.

post #13 of 71
@tallest skill
Not quite, there is a change- discrete is now an option, not built in. Will have to wait until store is up to find out how much extra a discrete will cost you. Was planning on order right away, but depending on cost, will probably wait until reviews for just Iris Pro vs GT750 show up. Might be more worth it to but money toward maxing the RAM.
post #14 of 71
Quote:

LOL! Have fun with that
post #15 of 71

Full MacBook Family.

Guess they kept on the el cheapo 13”.

post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess they kept on the el cheapo 13”.

Why would anyone buy that vs the 13" rMBP?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #17 of 71
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

For $100 more you get a modern laptop design, retina display, and modern laptop hardware.

The 13” uMBP is for cheapskates, I guess. :p 

post #18 of 71
Quote:

If you're going to keep it around for school bulk purchasing, you might as well keep it on the Store as well.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 71

Looks like only 1 non-retina option now: 13". Do the new retina models all feature soldered-in RAM I wonder?

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #20 of 71
Originally Posted by philipm View Post
Looks like only 1 non-retina option now: 13". Do the new retina models all feature soldered-in RAM I wonder?

‘Course they do.

post #21 of 71
Well Sadly they discontinued the non Retina MacBook Pro 15". But it appear they are keeping the 13 inch MacBook Pro non Retina.

I am gonna miss being able to upgrade my MacBook Pros. *sigh
post #22 of 71

Note that if you want discrete graphics on the 15 inch Pro, the starting price is 2599. There is no upgrade option for that on the 1999 model.

post #23 of 71
Originally Posted by macintoshxpert View Post
I am gonna miss being able to upgrade my MacBook Pros. *sigh

I’m not going to miss people shutting up about FUD. So shut up about the FUD.

post #24 of 71
Argh only glossy options left for mac. My gf just had one from work. Awfull. Even in a dark room I see my own reflection. Just hope my old matte MBP will keep on working.
post #25 of 71
Originally Posted by rune66 View Post
Argh only glossy options left for mac. My gf just had one from work. Awfull. Even in a dark room I see my own reflection. Just hope my old matte MBP will keep on working.

She had one of these? One of these with modern glossy displays that reflect far less light? One of these with modern glossy displays that directly reflect as much light as a matte display does (because they DO do that, by the way)?

post #26 of 71

Blah blah - Fact is it's a mirror which matte is not. Period. That you are able to ignore the reflections good for you.

post #27 of 71
Blah blah

Thanks for answering the question. Ah, wait.

Fact…

lol.

…its a mirror which matte is not.

Left is new glossy, right is old. You were saying? It’s no more reflective than matte is.

That you are able to ignore the reflections good for you. 

That you are able to ignore the reflections on a matte screen (do NOT claim there are none) is good for you, too.

post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR32 View Post

Note that if you want discrete graphics on the 15 inch Pro, the starting price is 2599. There is no upgrade option for that on the 1999 model.

Yeah, that's a sure way to kill off dedicated GPUs. It's also a strange choice to put both Iris Pro and the 750M in together because there are cheaper CPUs with lower power integrated graphics that would have made the 750M model cheaper but I guess it's so they have a common supply of CPUs for each model.

This should make the majority of the MBPs sold more reliable from now on though. No more defective GPU issues.

I suspect they left the entry 13" so that people who need lots of storage still have an affordable entry option. They don't bother putting it on the tech specs pages though:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

and it hasn't been updated to Haswell (still HD4000). The rMBP looks like a better deal but the cMBP still allows you to get cheap bulk storage, cheap RAM, direct ethernet, FW800 and the optical drive and as we know some people value those things more than what the rMBP offers. I imagine they'll drop it next year though.
post #29 of 71
Quote:

So, because Apple has discontinued an obsolete machine, which is inferior in every single way to their current offerings (Specs, design, weight, screen quality, I/O, etc) you're gonna switch to a Windows machine? To gain what, exactly? An optical drive? A hard drive thats 10X as slow? Don't let the door hit you on your way out. 

post #30 of 71
Quote:
Left is new glossy, right is old. You were saying? It’s no more reflective than matte is.

The only way this statement makes sense to me is if some half blind engineer were forced by his employer (happened to Apple) to find some technical way of measuring light that would "prove" Apples mirror screens (also the newest ones) to be as reflective as the matte ones. Fact is still if a human stands in front of these the glossy one will show you a mirror image of yourself which a matte will not. BTW feel free to upload a photo of a matte MBP that shows a mirror image of the person in front of it.

Edited by rune66 - 10/22/13 at 12:33pm
post #31 of 71
The only way this statement makes sense to me is if some half blind engineer were forced by his employer (happened to Apple) to find some technical way of measuring light that would "proove" Apples mirror screens (also the newest ones) to be as reflective as the matte ones.

Yeah, see, they did that. So.

Fact is still if a human stands in front of these the glossy one will show you a mirror image of yourself which a matte will not.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Enjoy your past, then. Keep thinking you’re in the right. I’m done here.

post #32 of 71
Quote:

lol.

That you are able to ignore the reflections on a matte screen (do NOT claim there are none) is good for you, too.

FYI TS, my secretary saw your screen reflection just now and deemed you and I twins. She's about right too!
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #33 of 71
Quote:

Is that you?  If so…. this is proof you aren't a bot and you do exist.

post #34 of 71
Is that you?

It’s not. Drop several decades and only about half the white hair. :p

post #35 of 71
Jesus Haploid Christ!! Morons are still bitching about their "matte" displays? How much are you FUDsters getting paid? What do you want to bet they were the same ones who said "Retina displays are worthless—nobody can see the difference!" Then it was "No Retina display across the board? EPIC FAIL!!!" Now they want a Retina display, but they want it obscured by a semi-opaque cover, so for sure nobody could tell the difference.

Get a Retina display MBP, and then rub Vaseline on the screen, or put a pillowcase over your head. You'll get the same effect, and can stop annoying the rest of us.
post #36 of 71
Quote:

For $100 more you get a modern laptop design, retina display, and modern laptop hardware.

The 13” uMBP is for cheapskates, I guess. 1tongue.gif  
And for the ones wanting lots of storage...

I noticed that my 2012 rMBP has 4 core and 2.4 ghz, the new one starts at 2.0 ghz, am I missing something other than 50ish minutes of battery life?
post #37 of 71
Quote:

lol.

Edit: nvm, read wrong.

post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Jesus Haploid Christ!! Morons are still bitching about their "matte" displays? How much are you FUDsters getting paid? What do you want to bet they were the same ones who said "Retina displays are worthless—nobody can see the difference!" Then it was "No Retina display across the board? EPIC FAIL!!!" Now they want a Retina display, but they want it obscured by a semi-opaque cover, so for sure nobody could tell the difference.

Get a Retina display MBP, and then rub Vaseline on the screen, or put a pillowcase over your head. You'll get the same effect, and can stop annoying the rest of us.

No. Just no.

I paid extra to upgrade my 2011 MBP to matte, while the fiancee did not. I can't stand looking at her screen and it's useless in bright light situations. I'm sorry you're annoyed by someone who states a preference, but I for one am very disappointed to see the old machines go. I like the retina display, it looks nice, but I also like that I can open up my machine and upgrade the RAM if I want and upgrade the hard drive and, in my case, remove the optical drive so I can move a 750gb HDD into its bay for lots of storage and install a 256gb SSD in the SATA III bay so my machine screams. With the new machines I have to buy what I think I'll need for the future and I'm stuck with it. No more buying what I can afford today and upgrade tomorrow as my needs demand.

When this machine ultimately dies or becomes too slow (which I don't see happening soon since it is spec'd the same as the current generation rMPB and much faster than current Airs), I'll be forced to buy a new machine that has a shiny screen I'll have to learn to live with and with the amount of RAM and storage I think I'll need to get me through the next 5-6 years (since that's how long I seem to keep these machines) because they can no longer be upgraded.

post #39 of 71
Quote:

Okay, I'll make that claim. I'm looking into my matte screen right now and all I see are the illuminated bits on the screen. I see no reflection of myself, the light in the living room behind me, the cat sitting on the sofa behind me, nothing. The new glossy screen appears to be an improvement on the old, but it's still a step back from the matte.

post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

No. Just no.

I paid extra to upgrade my 2011 MBP to matte, while the fiancee did not. I can't stand looking at her screen and it's useless in bright light situations.

Ah, so you are talking about the old glossy screen. Yes, they were awful. But you should seariously listen when people say the new anti reflective coating works. I'm sitting in from of my 27" iMac with the sun hitting the wall behind me, and I cant even see it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's updated 15" MacBook Pro features Intel Crystalwell graphics, starts at $1999