or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

post #1 of 281
Apple took the wraps off the last unannounced details on its upcoming Mac Pro desktop, namely price and release date, with the professional-grade machine set to debut in December with a starting price of $2,999.

Apple's all-new Mac Pro

The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the previous Mac Pro. It features Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics.

It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity. Thunderbolt connectivity offers 20Gb/s throughput.

The new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support.

Apple's all-new Mac Pro

A new integrated motion controller also illuminates the input-output on the back when the device is moved.

A revamped version of Final Cut Pro X has also been developed by Apple, designed to take advantage of the horsepower of the new Mac Pro. As part of Tuesday's presentation, quotes from audio and video professionals praising the device were shared after they had time to sample the hardware pre-release.

The base model of Apple's next-generation desktop features a 3.7-gigzhertz Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12 gigabytes of RAM, dual FirePro D300 GPUs with 2 gigabytes of video RAM each, and a 256 gigabyte solid state drive.
post #2 of 281
I was hoping for a 4K Apple Cinema Display mentioned immediately after the Mac Pro announcement.
post #3 of 281
Ouch.
post #4 of 281

that's like 3K less than I was expecting. wow.

post #5 of 281

Waste of money, I could go on new egg and buy parts at half the price and build something more powerful.

post #6 of 281
Go away kootur. Nothing you buy at the garbage store will run OSX or last more than 5 minutes.
post #7 of 281

But yours would look like ass.

"Do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damned real and in the present tense?"
"Do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damned real and in the present tense?"
post #8 of 281

post #9 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You go do that. Cancel your account while you're at it troll.

He makes a perfect valid comment just as one can grow their vegetables for less than half the price as it costs to buy a salad at a restaurant.

I wonder why he thinks everyone wants to build their PCs and want to only consider superficial specs that Newegg displays. Sure he can make some aspects faster but he's not seeing the big picture. He can't get same performance in all areas. But, hey, can get a cool clear case with neon in it from Newegg.
post #10 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootur View Post

Waste of money, I could go on new egg and buy parts at half the price and build something more powerful.

Go ahead, let's see what you come up with.
post #11 of 281

I am a bit surprised that Apple went with ATI. The CUDA by NVIDIA is more accepted in the industry. For PRO users that is an important point...

post #12 of 281

This is kind of upsetting. Doesn’t even come with ANYTHING anymore?

post #13 of 281
Quote:

don't burn yourself with the soldering iron, but I am  waiting for your benchmark test release.  

post #14 of 281

Audience seemed very underwhelmed, but I thought $3k was a good price, although I don't shop in that market. 

post #15 of 281
That price is amazing.

Just amazing.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #16 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My guess is to keep the price down and that most people who will buy one will be upgrading from an old Mac Pro so will already have the keyboard, mouse, screen etc.

It's a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

post #17 of 281
Anybody know the quad Xeon chip that is being used for the entry MacPro?
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #18 of 281
Quote:

When I had MacPros and even with my iMac, when I go to upgrade I always thought what a waste getting a new keyboard and trackpad every time.  I have a pile of keyboards that I have never used. 

Also, lots of users will buy more than one machine (render farms, etc) and they don't need a keyboard for each one.  

Better for the environment.  And lowers the cost of the machine ever so slightly.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #19 of 281

I still say it’s a dalek. Especially when they do one of those disassembly views.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #20 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I am a bit surprised that Apple went with ATI. The CUDA by NVIDIA is more accepted in the industry. For PRO users that is an important point...

Not those with any sense. OpenCL is more portable.

post #21 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Audience seemed very underwhelmed, but I thought $3k was a good price, although I don't shop in that market. 

They were only there for the iPad.  The media chose to say that this was an iPad event.  

post #22 of 281
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
My guess is to keep the price down and that most people who will buy one will be upgrading from an old Mac Pro so will already have the keyboard, mouse, screen etc.

It's a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

That and the box isn’t big enough to hold either. :p

Know what I expect from the new Mac Pro?

When the reviews come out, I see it being 2x as fast as anything else available on the market, but for only 1.5x the price. I see production studios being quoted, “We couldn’t afford NOT to buy ten Mac Pros. Their performance combined with the power draw blows away our old Dell crap.”

Gotta shut up the haters. The best way to do that is to be the single greatest product on the market. 

post #23 of 281

Display?

post #24 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Not those with any sense. OpenCL is more portable.

the issue is that research/industry software packages such as Cadence or MATLAB support CUDA and it would have been great to have CUDA NVIDIA there. 

post #25 of 281

That was my initial reaction, but then I started thinking about it.  Most of my Pro machines now have a custom "editor's keyboard" that I use with them, so my "free" ones from Apple never get used.  Honestly it's one less thing for me to have to store.

post #26 of 281
Quote:

The pros this is designed for buy specialized keyboards and mouses. Why ship with those things if they might not be used❓
post #27 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

the issue is that research/industry software packages such as Cadence or MATLAB support CUDA and it would have been great to have CUDA NVIDIA there. 

Both MATLAB and Cadence support OpenCL but CUDA is a lot more mature. Give it time, if these new Mac's take off so will OpenCL. I still prefer CUDA though, as a programmer, there are a whole lot more code examples out there for CUDA over OpenCL. 

post #28 of 281

3,000, isn't bad, good job Apple.

post #29 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

That was my initial reaction, but then I started thinking about it.  Most of my Pro machines now have a custom "editor's keyboard" that I use with them, so my "free" ones from Apple never get used.  Honestly it's one less thing for me to have to store.

Hey, send me one of those unused Mac Pro keyboards because mine certainly got used. 

It was cheaper than I thought. With the dual GPU configuration I was expecting a $3299 starting point. Those are very expensive GPU's. I just wish they would offer a model with a standard (read far cheaper) desktop class GPU which would have allowed for an entry model a tad more affordable to home buyers that just don't want an iMac for a variety of reasons. But I admit I want one of these bad boys but I will need to wait and see what an external thunderbolt array will cost me to be able to bring over all my old hard drives. Even though the new Mac Pro may be a lot smaller I still have about 12GB of data I need to access so I doubt I will see any space or energy savings since now I will need an external array to hold my storage as opposed to now. 

post #30 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Hey, send me one of those unused Mac Pro keyboards because mine certainly got used. 

It was cheaper than I thought. With the dual GPU configuration I was expecting a $3299 starting point. Those are very expensive GPU's. I just wish they would offer a model with a standard (read far cheaper) desktop class GPU which would have allowed for an entry model a tad more affordable to home buyers that just don't want an iMac for a variety of reasons. But I admit I want one of these bad boys but I will need to wait and see what an external thunderbolt array will cost me to be able to bring over all my old hard drives. Even though the new Mac Pro may be a lot smaller I still have about 12GB of data I need to access so I doubt I will see any space or energy savings since now I will need an external array to hold my storage as opposed to now. 

12GB? Would that be TB? 

post #31 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Ouch.

Quote:

Quote:

Just for some perspective...
Quote:
The first Apple II computers went on sale on June 10, 1977[2][3] with a MOS Technology 6502 microprocessor running at 1 MHz, 4 KB of RAM, an audio cassette interface for loading programs and storing data, and the Integer BASIC programming language built into the ROMs. The video controller displayed 40 columns by 24 lines of monochrome, upper-case-only (the original character set matches ASCII characters 0x20 to 0x5F) text on the screen, with NTSC composite video output suitable for display on a TV monitor, or on a regular TV set by way of a separate RF modulator. The original retail price of the computer was US$1298[13] (with 4 kB of RAM) and US$2638 (with the maximum 48 kB of RAM).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series

My first Apple ][ cost $2638 in 1978. It came with a keyboard and case. I had to buy separately (not in the box):

• $115 Cassette Recorder
  •   $15 TV Adapter
  • $250 TV

What cost $2638 in 1978 would cost $9,462.69 in 2012.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #32 of 281

I’m sure you could put together something cheaper from a screwdriver shop but I just tried to configure something similar at Dell to compare, and with a slower CPU configuration and less RAM, it came out about $2.8k. I couldn’t spec it with all the parts Apple includes because Dell doesn’t e.g. have Thunderbolt on their options list. The AMD D300 seems to new, since I can’t find anywhere but in the Mac Pro PR, so I don’t know if I specced the Dell with comparable graphics.

And someone else has also noted the dalek connection.

Nice I suppose if you want a machine in this class. I would like something in the gap between this and the mini where I can spec my own parts and don’t need midget fingers or to desolder delicate parts to swap RAM etc.

post #33 of 281

Do i really need dual Firepro 2gbs? Wouldn't it be better for the base model to have one and a bigger SDD or better processor instead? Or is the graphics card used a lot in osx ?

I'm looking for a home machine to be used for Photoshop and Logic X.

I'm curious as to the UK price.

post #34 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

that's like 3K less than I was expecting. wow.

Well, wait till we get the prices for the higher specs models. You won't be disappointed.

post #35 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Both MATLAB and Cadence support OpenCL 

MATLAB only supports CUDA natively. There's third-party OpenCL support but it doesn't work with the built in toolboxes, so it's basically worthless.

post #36 of 281
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

27” iMac. 

If you have to ask, you don’t need a Mac Pro.

post #37 of 281
I'm not convinced that $2999 is a good price for the entry level model. It's the pricing of the maxed-out high end model that matters. For post production we'll need a mix of mid- and high-end machines, ideally not the minimum spec that runs Avid, then you need decent RAM and at least some local Thunderbolt storage - or commit to a fast SAN with 10GB Ethernet or better. So there are significant additional costs beyond the cylinder. At $1999 up we'd buy 10 now, at a likely $4500 kitted out, one every 6 months over the next 3 years. There's pent up demand for sure, but at this price we won't be buying them in bulk.
Edited by fearless - 10/22/13 at 12:23pm
post #38 of 281
Quote:

For starters...

Just how much is that worth -- in other words, how much are you getting paid for your time?

Also, aren't some of those parts supply constrained -- in other words, how many weeks/months will elapse until you have a working computer.

What will be its resale value?

post #39 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Do i really need dual Firepro 2gbs? Wouldn't it be better for the base model to have one and a bigger SDD or better processor instead? Or is the graphics card used a lot in osx ?

I'm curious as to the UK price.

I believe the second GPU is used for opencl computations to offload the CPU.  This thing is a screamer.  With those dual GPUs I am surprised at the price.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #40 of 281
Quote:

No, you can’t, you worthless, pathetic imbecile.

If you’ve any common sense or decency, prove me wrong. I’ll wait.

Just another case-in-point for the comment I made in the other thread: Apple could never make a product to satisfy the parental basement dwellers who are willing to spend the infinite amounts of free time they have sourcing parts and building their own workstation to be a "pro" gamer.  Though I hear that profession pays pretty well in Asia (if you're willing to train 20 hours a day at it).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999