or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999 - Page 4

post #121 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

They do exist and will be offered soon, okay so in the highly unlikely scenario that I'll need a Thunderbolt then I will only be able to use 4 GPU's, I think I can manage.

But you can't run OS X legally or supported on anything other than an Apple.

Again, if I ran my own business and needed people to run my IT, YOU would NOT be a person I would even consider for the job.  You have ZERO business sense, you don't understand the concept of what SUPPORT really is.

post #122 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You fail to realize that I don't care about this non-supported product because it doesn't run OS X legally.  So it isn't a conversation that is worthwhile.  YOU just wasted MY time and you should just STOP while your behind.

You are just an IDIOT.  

You waste people's time Relic.  PERIOD.

They can't be done at this time.  AGAIN, there is NO computer that runs OS X legally and fully supported that isn't made by Apple.

SuperMicro doesn't support OS X you IDIOT.

I only mentioned you CAN run OSX in one sentence, it wasn't the focus of my post by a long shot. I also said that I would run CentOS on it, not Windows 8. I'm not wasting anyone's times here except yours apparently. Yes this is an Apple forum but since more than just one person is discussing what else is on the market besides the MacPro with the same specs than what I wrote is a valid discussion point. You might not like what I have written but how dare you think you know what's best to be discussed in a free for all conversation about tech. Where do you get off calling me an idiot, why because I don't fall under your ideology of the perfect Apple user, go to hell. It is you with the problem here sir, not me.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #123 of 281
Quote:

But you can't run OS X legally or supported on anything other than an Apple.

Again, if I ran my own business and needed people to run my IT, YOU would NOT be a person I would even consider for the job.  You have ZERO business sense, you don't understand the concept of what SUPPORT really is.

Supermicro comes with one year onsite support, how many years does Apple come with. Stop bringing up OSX, I only said you can run it, not that you have to, not that it's a good idea, this is a recreational tech forum where all things are discussed stop treating it as sales outlet for Apple. I wouldn't hire me either as that's not my field, nor would I want a such a position.

Edited by Relic - 10/23/13 at 6:10am
post #124 of 281
A change of pace...

from all this talk about DIY hodgepodges...

I've been running Mavericks since WWDC and have 2 Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus RAIDS and a Cinema Display attached to an iMac 27".

I just noticed this emphasis mine):
Quote:
Connect to next-generation peripherals at next-generation speeds.
Thunderbolt 2 gives you a superfast 20Gb/s connection to superfast storage, from portable drives ideal for use in the field to high-capacity RAID arrays. USB 3 provides fast connections to cameras and media readers. And with direct connection between computers via Thunderbolt, you can bring your MacBook Pro with Retina display on location, then transfer your work back to your Mac Pro.

http://www.apple.com/au/mac-pro/performance/

I think this is implemented in Mavericks as:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #125 of 281
Quote:

...I wouldn't hire me either as that's not my field, nor would I want a such a position.

I wouldn't work for anyone who would hire me 1biggrin.gif

post #126 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wouldn't work for anyone who would hire me 1biggrin.gif

Yeah because we all know what you do in the supply closet. :p 

post #127 of 281

THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Oh, wait.

post #128 of 281
Quote:

A change of pace...

I've been running Mavericks since WWDC and have 2 Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus RAIDS and a Cinema Display attached to an iMac 27".

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!

Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

post #129 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Oh, wait.

HOLY %$#@! but can it play Doom?

post #130 of 281

HOLY %$#@! but can it play Doom?

In an emulator.

post #131 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I am a bit surprised that Apple went with ATI. The CUDA by NVIDIA is more accepted in the industry. For PRO users that is an important point...

CUDA is nVidia GPU only, just as Stream is ATI only.

OpenCL is, well, more open, supported by nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc... furthermore it's not GPU only, it's completely processor independent and targets ALL available processors; CPU, GPU, DSP, etc.

Apple is not going to worry about a few "industry" applications (that can eventually be updated) when making a hardware decision.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #132 of 281
Quote:

Quote:

A change of pace...

Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Well, the only other Thunderbolt Mac that's handy to test on is a Mini,,, Sadly, I must upgrade it to Mavericks first... so it will be a while 1rolleyes.gif

post #133 of 281
Quote:

You could do that with FireWire previously as well (though Gigabit ethernet with a crossover cable was still faster).  So it would make sense that they'd eventually bring that capability to Thunderbolt.  Now, add channel bonding on top of that, and you've got a symphony!

post #134 of 281
I like it and would want to see it in action, I have no pressing reason to upgrade from my present desktop right now so it will be intersting in the comming months to read what new owners think and document the experience with the machine.

I like small PC's and for the size I don't think anythink can compare to it..
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #135 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

I like it and would want to see it in action, I have no pressing reason to upgrade from my present desktop right now so it will be intersting in the comming months to read what new owners think and document the experience with the machine.

I like small PC's and for the size I don't think anythink can compare to it..

My last iMac (July 2011) cost $3,578.00. I already have external Thunderbolt RAIDS, so storage is no big deal. I think I am going to by a new Mac Pro.

I am also really intrigued by the all-in-one, headless form factor of the AppleTV. If they added a 64-bit A7 APU, more RAM and larger SSD it could be used as a home server or a modular component of a server farm or render farm.

post #136 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworlund View Post

They got my hopes up higher than they probably should have been by starting off the keynote with all the FREE stuff and then the price cuts on the MacBooks. I am a little disappointed at the price point.

I think they are trying to counter 3rd party RAM upgrades by bundling 12GB. Their RAM prices are here:

http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_MACPRO_S10_RAM

The MP used to be bundled with 6GB and few people would buy upgrades from Apple. Now their upgrades to 16GB/24GB/32GB etc can appear more competitive vs OWC/Crucial. OWC is still around $400 for 32GB though so for the higher amounts, they'll still be the better deal but I could see Apple offering 24GB for $300-400 as they are only charging for the 12GB upgrade. If you bought from OWC, you'd want to get the 24GB kit for $300 (because it only has 4 slots, you can't get the cheaper 2GB modules). If it was only up to $100 more from Apple, I could see people buying Apple's RAM instead. You do get to keep the original sticks with the kits but some people will just compare the prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Assuming it gets two Thunderbolt ports instead of one or if there's some sort of router. It's a bit strange they didn't update the iMac to TB2 considering it was updated 4 weeks ago. Surely they could have waited the 4 weeks if they needed the TB2 controllers to become available.
post #137 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Assuming it gets two Thunderbolt ports instead of one or if there's some sort of router. It's a bit strange they didn't update the iMac to TB2 considering it was updated 4 weeks ago. Surely they could have waited the 4 weeks if they needed the TB2 controllers to become available.

I thought I read somewhere that there is some intelligence in the Thunderbolt cable -- and that it would be possible to use a "T" connector to daisy chain devices that have only a single Thunderbolt port.

post #138 of 281
Quote:

Um.  This isn't a XEON/Thunderbolt 2 motherboard, so it's a FAIL. Sorry.  Plus, I'm not sure the box/PSU will support the configuration.

Your first mistake is using a NON-XEON/Thunderbolt 2 motherboard, which DO NOT exist.  So, any comparisons that ANYONE makes is NOT even close.  Sorry, but you just wasted your time and everyone else's.

Please, seriously, go to this site to see what motherboards are available and NOTICE that they are NOT XEON motherboards they are i5/i7 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen but NOT XEON.  plus the only Thunderbolt 2 based motherboards are i5/i7 not XEON.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

When configuring XEON boxes with multiple GPUs, fast SSD storage, etc., they have to make sure the power supply is big enough and that it has proper cooling, otherwise the box will shut down or have frequent component failure due to improper cooling or not a big enough power supply.

If you go to HP's site, in order to configure a box with multiple GPU cards with 6G or RAM, and a 8 core processor, I think they need upgraded power supplies and water cooling and those boxes start costing more like $10K or more.  Yeah, you get internal storage cages and PCI slots, but STILL no Thunderbolt (1 or 2) ports. So, at this point it's moot, nothing is comparable on the market.

Wow, who pissed in your coffee this morning?

Yes, it is a Xeon board, no, it isn't TB2 (as you pointed out, nothing is), and yes, it will support the configuration.

I don't believe you speak for anyone else other than yourself, so I'm not sure how you can apportion values to everyone else's time..

I was actually supporting the idea that you can't build anything to that spec for the price if you've bothered to actually read what I posted rather than frothing at the mouth...

Quote:

Oh, wait.

Cool, I'll have three please, lol

What the hell did you put in it btw?

Edited by Stoobs - 10/23/13 at 9:25am
post #139 of 281
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A change of pace...

Well, the only other Thunderbolt Mac that's handy to test on is a Mini,,, Sadly, I must upgrade it to Mavericks first... so it will be a while 1rolleyes.gif

Sigh... That was an older Mac Mini -- it doesn't have Thunderbolt -- just that display adapter that looks like a Thunderbolt port... So, I can't easily experiment with IP over Thunderbolt.

post #140 of 281
Quote:

I don't need to read anyone's assumptions.  You shouldn't have any assumptions.  

Fast SSD is only available on PCI card slots right now and that's $1000 or more just for that.  

it appears you didn't read my posts.  as such, you're simply raging against a straw man of your making.

with respect to a reasonably fast PCIe SSD with 256GB, we have 
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-020-MX since VAT does not apply to North America, 300 pound sterling is just over $500
Edited by emacs72 - 10/23/13 at 10:30am
post #141 of 281
Quote:

That isn't terribly cost effective. Companies tend to use some of the more costly cpus (not necessarily the most expensive ones) in render farms due to software licensing terms, limited space, etc. These would be obscenely expensive for that kind of workload. You would most likely be better off with a string of minis if you aren't dealing with GB of texture data where available memory and access to drive space would be constrained. These are definitely designed as single user workstations.

Of course the minis also run into the software licensing cost issue that I mentioned, but I can't think of any macs that people would buy specifically to build a render farm. You don't need them to be macs simply because your primary workstation is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

that's like 3K less than I was expecting. wow.

How many would they really sell if the entry level was $6k? There is typically some amount of stratification. A shop might purchase several mac pros without them all using identical configurations. I don't see how locking it to such a high entry point would help the line. As it is they are likely positioning it as a lower volume product, although that works as long as the line is sustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That price is amazing.

Just amazing.

How do you guys figure? These are definitively entry level specs for the type of machine offered. Don't get me wrong. I fully expected them to  either make use of the lower tier firepro cards and entry level quad Xeons to control costs or raise the price. I didn't really expect both.

Quote:

Both MATLAB and Cadence support OpenCL but CUDA is a lot more mature. Give it time, if these new Mac's take off so will OpenCL. I still prefer CUDA though, as a programmer, there are a whole lot more code examples out there for CUDA over OpenCL. 

What is CUDA like in terms of raw features?

Quote:

Here is a list of XEON CPU's, I don't see the 3.7Ghz one, the performance should be fairly close to the Xeon E5-2637 v2 though.  Anyway, here is a performance chart to go with them. It will give you some idea. The CPU that most interests me is the Xeon E5-2650 v2, price, performance, power ration is off the charts.

That's because it's a 1600 variant. They did the same thing 2009-2012. It isn't a bad way of cutting costs, but it doesn't look like a great offering for $3k, especially with possible indirect costs of updated peripherals and things.

Edited by hmm - 10/23/13 at 10:36am
post #142 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Ouch.

No kidding.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #143 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Wouldn't you be disappointed with the pricing announced for an entry level machine? Especially considering how close Apple was to dumping the Mac Pro for good due to poor sales. This isn't an invitation to volume sales at all, it is more of an insult to users with a bit of technical know how. Mind you the Mac Pro comes with a power cord, that is it.

By the way I'm not saying the hardware isn't worth it in this model, frankly I haven't even looked closely. What I'm saying is that Apple needs a model that can sell in volume to assure the mac Pros future. A desktop machine that starts at $3000 is just stupid.

Yes.  Agreed.

£2500.  Yeesh.  Makes the price hiked iMacs look good value for money.

...and I thought the Power Mac was getting expensive when they had a model at £1500 in the old days.

It's a powerful entry machine.  2x GPUs is land mark territory.  (For Apple. :P)  £2500 for a Quad core?  Mmm.  6 core?  So, to get a 6 core model now you have to pay wayyyy more?  It's pricey.  Did we expect otherwise?  The SSD next gen is standard.  Is this the same as the stuff in the Air or Pro?  Or is it even faster?

How come Apple's desktops start way higher than their laptops..?

Take away that 2nd GPU and it looks Apple mark up.  No wonder there were crickets chirping when Phil revealed the price.  Even the Cube price didn't instill that much sticker price shock...

The new Mac Pro.  Comes with a power cord.

Yes.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #144 of 281

They could easily bung in an i7 and a 780MX gpu with the SSD in the Air and price it below £2k.

You're very high up the ladder to get on the ladder...at £2500.

We'll see how sales go...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #145 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Quote:

That isn't terribly cost effective. Companies tend to use some of the more costly cpus (not necessarily the most expensive ones) in render farms due to software licensing terms, limited space, etc. These would be obscenely expensive for that kind of workload. You would most likely be better off with a string of minis if you aren't dealing with GB of texture data where available memory and access to drive space would be constrained. These are definitely designed as single user workstations.

Of course the minis also run into the software licensing cost issue that I mentioned, but I can't think of any macs that people would buy specifically to build a render farm. You don't need them to be macs simply because your primary workstation is one.

Lighten up -- it was a joke, man!

post #146 of 281

Or just gaffer tape a 680 MX onto power hot rodded Mini to give Wizard the Machine he wants...

There's a massive gap between the top end iMac and entry Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #147 of 281
Quote:

Heh, heh.

Like Apple's sticker price for the entry model...

It was a joke, right Phil?  Right?

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #148 of 281
Here's an interesting read:

New Mac Pro Gives Apple More Business Gravitas
Quote:
Apple's New Mac Pro: What You Need to Know

So, on the hardware side, the new Mac Pro looks good from a small to mid-sized business usage perspective. With the new Mavericks OS and its business features such as support for the SMB network file system (for integration with Windows systems); RAID (0, 1, 10); a virtual file stack for accessing various file systems such as NTFS; Active Directory, and LDAP support — just to name a few — you are looking at a complete small business server that should suit the needs of many enterprises.
Add to Mavericks running on the new Mac Pro the updated OS X Server app, and you have even more business functionality: DHCP, DNS, Xsan, and more.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426139,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+%28PCMag.com+Breaking+News%29

post #149 of 281
It's amazing how many people don't even KNOW what a Mac Pro is!!!! I just did a survey at a Boston movie theater for the new Mac Pro ad in Sept 2013, and out of 40 surveys, near 1/2 the people claimed they had owned a Mac Pro!? "Macbook Pro" maybe%u2026 but I'm an engineering student and a computer geek and I've yet to even MEET anyone that's owned one! I'm still curious how, in the world of square computer chips, RAM, drives, PCI slots, graphics cards, yada, yada, Apple has made something cylindrical? I just possibly fried a logic board in an old A1181 Macbook doing a simple RAM upgrade and discovered a horribly designed top case cable that just hangs into a RAM bay ASKING for trouble, so I hope Apple hasn't made this thing a proprietary mess to work on or upgrade.
post #150 of 281
Originally Posted by Kevk74 View Post
I'm still curious how, in the world of square computer chips, RAM, drives, PCI slots, graphics cards, yada, yada, Apple has made something cylindrical?

Have you seen the inside of it? That’s how.

…so I hope Apple hasn’t made this thing a proprietary mess to work on or upgrade.

You realize you’re talking about Apple, right?

post #151 of 281
Quote:
...in the mean time, please stop your ridiculous attempts to try to figure out a clone box in place of a MacPro.  There are lots of folks that won't even LOOK at a PC clone box for a variety of reasons, so please don't put out misleading BS just to try to act like you know what you are talking about.

Your first mistake was to try to compare an Apple product to some hodge podge clone box. the only people that do that are dishonest people that don't respect companies like Apple.  Professionals don't like running Hackintosh systems due to the lack of support, wasting time throwing together something just to save a couple of dollars.

OS X users are just going to pick the best Apple product and Windows/Linux users will just pick what's the best of the box to run their OS and only IDIOTS use Hackintosh systems.    Those people are dishonest trolls that don't respect the companies that design and make the products they use.

I don't know what your problem is, but your 'holier-than-thou' attitude is not appreciated. We are just having a discussion here, and 'Relic' is providing a 'thought experiment' outlining how one might create a Hackintosh moster that might equal or exceed what Apple is providing in the new MP. There is no need for your name calling. I expect your next post to be in ALL CAPS so you can shout even louder.

Give it a break and lower your blood pressure! There's no need to take everything personally.

post #152 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

I don't know what your problem is, but your 'holier-than-thou' attitude is not appreciated. We are just having a discussion here, and 'Relic' is providing a 'thought experiment' outlining how one might create a Hackintosh moster that might equal or exceed what Apple is providing in the new MP. There is no need for your name calling. I expect your next post to be in ALL CAPS so you can shout even louder.

Give it a break and lower your blood pressure! There's no need to take everything personally.

My blood pressure is fine.  There is NOTHING that has the same specs at the same price as the new MacPros.

Sorry, but Hackintosh is NOT SUPPORTED OR LEGAL and PROFESSIONALS don't use Hackintosh.  

post #153 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

You and Relic are suggesting something that is equivalent of criminal behavior and you think I have a problem?

Look in the mirror, pal.  Hackintosh systems are NOT supported by Apple nor are the legal use of the OS licensing.

Does someone have to imprint this on your forehead for you to wake up?  Seriously, DON'T get sucked into criminal behavior because that's what a Hackintosh system really is.  

post #154 of 281

Not cut off the Hackintoshers, but collectively agree that they don’t represent any valid opinions in the points they make.

post #155 of 281
Quote:

Not cut off the Hackintoshers, but collectively agree that they don’t represent any valid opinions in the points they make.

I say cut them off and tell their parents.  They are promoting criminal behavior that's also non-supported and it's basically a WASTE of time/energy trying to reason with people that don't understand the fundamentals like LEGAL and ILLEGAL, SUPPORTED and NON-SUPPORTED.

post #156 of 281
Quote:

Looks like I lost a bet with Marvin (joking, refers to an old thread).

Quote:

Sorry about that. Sometimes (well frequently) I read everything seriously from one post to the next.

Quote:

My blood pressure is fine.  There is NOTHING that has the same specs at the same price as the new MacPros.

Sorry, but Hackintosh is NOT SUPPORTED OR LEGAL and PROFESSIONALS don't use Hackintosh.  

I'll clarify that I don't use or own a hackintosh. I used to frequent the hackintosh forums though. What you'll notice is that many of those guys also own macbook pros or airs. They're mostly hobbyists. Otherwise Apple would have sent cease and desist orders to many of those sites long ago.

post #157 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Looks like I lost a bet with Marvin (joking, refers to an old thread).

Sorry about that. Sometimes (well frequently) I read everything seriously from one post to the next.

I'll clarify that I don't use or own a hackintosh. I used to frequent the hackintosh forums though. What you'll notice is that many of those guys also own macbook pros or airs. They're mostly hobbyists. Otherwise Apple would have sent cease and desist orders to many of those sites long ago.

I don't care what they own, if they are using OS X on a non-Apple product, then that is a violation of the license agreement and they need to wake up and become more in line with the licensing contracts and quit playing childish hobbyist BS.  To people such as myself, these people come off as mentally underdeveloped in the area of business sense.

post #158 of 281
Quote:

I don't care what they own, if they are using OS X on a non-Apple product, then that is a violation of the license agreement and they need to wake up and become more in line with the licensing contracts and quit playing childish hobbyist BS.  To people such as myself, these people come off as mentally underdeveloped in the area of business sense.

Apple was founded by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, who made blue boxes to allow him to call long distance for free.  

Were they "mentally underdeveloped in the area of business sense?"

steve wozniak blue box

I'm not saying it's a good thing...  but are you being completely fair in your judgement?

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/24/13 at 4:02pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #159 of 281
Quote:

You mention business sense. I would never recommend that anyone rely on hackintoshes for their business. I don't suggest them in general, but you view this as egregious when it will never have a negative impact on you or Apple. It's somewhat tangential, but Apple has gained a few ideas from the Cydia developers. There are other things I find amusing. Sometimes I'll read that someone acquired an old PowerPC mac and inquires about disks. People suggest the only legal route is paying scalpers on ebay (rather than downloading), yet if you look at the back of that packaging, the licenses are not for resale or transferable. I've questioned how one is better than the other. I can never get a straight answer. In that situation I tell people to contact Apple, as they may have some method of recourse that doesn't involve paying some random jackass $200 for a copy of leopard.

Quote:

This is technically true, if OSX is an absolute necessity. It is in some cases. I will point out that the $3000 configuration has a lot in common with the old $2500 configuration. These are basically low end firepros at this point. Firepros don't start at thousands. You're looking at two cards that probably cost no more per card than the old 5770. Apple charged $250 aftermarket for those if I recall correctly. You gain thunderbolt ports, but you lose PCI slots. In some cases you may have to invest additional dollars in storage. It may sell, but it's certainly not priced aggressively. As you point out, professionals don't use Hackintosh. A few might claim they would, but no one is going to base their business on hacked solution.

Edited by hmm - 10/24/13 at 4:35pm
post #160 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple was founded by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, who made blue boxes to allow him to call long distance for free.  

Were they "mentally underdeveloped in the area of business sense?"

steve wozniak blue box

I'm not saying it's a good thing...  but are you being completely fair in your judgement?

And eventually, they grew up.  That's what KIDS DO.  Just because someone else does something stupid does that give you permission to do something equally stupid or even MORE stupid?   They were also both using drugs at that age as well.  Hmmmm....  Could there be a connection?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999