or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999 - Page 5

post #161 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

And eventually, they grew up.  That's what KIDS DO.  Just because someone else does something stupid does that give you permission to do something equally stupid or even MORE stupid?   They were also both using drugs at that age as well.  Hmmmm....  Could there be a connection?

 

I'll agree with you on the point of growing up and creating a legitimate business rather than just spinning off into further illegal activity.  However, I would argue that the mentality that the world can be tinkered with, reshaped, and that there's no structure which is "set in stone" (often brought about by the use of LSD, but not necessarily so) is part of what made Apple what it is today: a company which doesn't accept the status quo and often changes the landscape of technology via that way of thinking.

 

IMO, we need the hobbyist tinkerers who want to push boundaries and see what's possible.   Because these are some of the people who will help shape tomorrow if they get on the right path.  However, what we don't need are the scumbag profiteers who try to make a buck off the work done by the tinkerers at the expense of legitimate businesses like Apple (or who try to convince the tinkerers that it's a smart path to take).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #162 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

 
And eventually, they grew up.  That's what KIDS DO.  Just because someone else does something stupid does that give you permission to do something equally stupid or even MORE stupid?   They were also both using drugs at that age as well.  Hmmmm....  Could there be a connection?

I'll agree with you on the point of growing up and creating a legitimate business rather than just spinning off into further illegal activity.  However, I would argue that the mentality that the world can be tinkered with, reshaped, and that there's no structure which is "set in stone" (often brought about by the use of LSD, but not necessarily so) is part of what made Apple what it is today: a company which doesn't accept the status quo and often changes the landscape of technology via that way of thinking.

IMO, we need the hobbyist tinkerers who want to push boundaries and see what's possible.   Because these are some of the people who will help shape tomorrow if they get on the right path.  However, what we don't need are the scumbag profiteers who try to make a buck off the work done by the tinkerers at the expense of legitimate businesses like Apple (or who try to convince the tinkerers that it's a smart path to take).

Err... There was someone else involved -- who changed Apple from a low-volume (about 200 total) manufacturer of "hobbyist" computers to what became the first personal computer. That person was Mike Markkula. Mike provided the investment capital, experience, the business sense and the reputation to attract "business" executives and professionals to Apple. Mike provided the structure and environment that allowed the two Steves and Apple to forever change the world.

With 2 others, I opened the 5th computer store in Silicon Valley in 1978. We identified 3 market segments to target:  Home/Personal; Business (potentially);  and Hobbyist.  We supported the hobbyists * as they were an attraction to other potential customers.  The hobbyists seldom bought anything (from us)!

* provided them a place to gather (user group) and "strut their stuff", loaned them hardware and software, paid them for custom development work (software and hardware), etc.

There were lots of hobbyist computers around then... all of them are gone now! The two major competitors to Apple were the Radio Shack TRS--80 (Trash)-80) and North Star (Kentucky Fried Computer) -- neither survived the 1980s.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 10/25/13 at 8:16am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #163 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Err... There was someone else involved -- who changed Apple from a low-volume (about 200 total) manufacturer of "hobbyist" computers to what became the first personal computer. That person was Mike Markkula. Mike provided the investment capital, experience, the business sense and the reputation to attract "business" executives and professionals to Apple. Mike provided the structure and environment that allowed the two Steves and Apple to forever change the world.

 

I don't recall ever stating that all investors are scumbag profiteers.  I know very well that Markkula helped set the Steves on the right path.  It takes the right people on both sides to make a successful business.

 

However, one only needs to look at the case of Psystar to see an example which proves my point: scumbag investors trying to profit from the tinkerings of the Hackintosh community at the expense of Apple.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #164 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

I'll agree with you on the point of growing up and creating a legitimate business rather than just spinning off into further illegal activity.  However, I would argue that the mentality that the world can be tinkered with, reshaped, and that there's no structure which is "set in stone" (often brought about by the use of LSD, but not necessarily so) is part of what made Apple what it is today: a company which doesn't accept the status quo and often changes the landscape of technology via that way of thinking.

 

IMO, we need the hobbyist tinkerers who want to push boundaries and see what's possible.   Because these are some of the people who will help shape tomorrow if they get on the right path.  However, what we don't need are the scumbag profiteers who try to make a buck off the work done by the tinkerers at the expense of legitimate businesses like Apple (or who try to convince the tinkerers that it's a smart path to take).

Hobbyists aren't always pushing the boundaries, maybe pushing the boundaries of what's legal maybe, but seriously, Apple is a company, just like Microsoft, etc. etc.  There are laws, laws are there to protect individuals and corporations alike.  Laws also change, just as policies.

 

Drugs don't always allow us to THINK properly when it comes to certain things.  Yeah, some may argue that smoking pot, dropping acid, etc. may allow creative thoughts, but so does meditation.  But smoking pot, dropping acid, getting drunk affect the part of the brain that deals with the aspect of thoughts that is called JUDGEMENT.  If you JUDGEMENT is affected, then it affects your behavior and then you don't think too clearly and then you end up doing something STUPID and possibly illegal.

 

Just because Jobs dropped acid years ago doesn't mean that anyone that wants to be creative should go out and drop acid to create something.  That's fallacious reasoning because there are people that have dropped acid where they didn't come up with something creative, they ended up doing something illegal, dangerous or even life threatening.  Plenty of people that dropped acid in the 60's, 70's and even today can wind up in mental hospital or have a bad trip.

 

Bottom line, there are ways to increase your creative side of your brain and it usually means meditating, learning to do things that are creative like learn to play a musical instrument, learn to paint, sculpt, etc. etc.  There are books that you can read on  how to increase your creative side of your brain without the use of drugs, alcohol.   FYI, not all of the greatest ideas were Job's or Wozniak's or thought of while under the influence either.  

post #165 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Just because Jobs dropped acid years ago doesn't mean that anyone that wants to be creative should go out and drop acid to create something.  That's fallacious reasoning because there are people that have dropped acid where they didn't come up with something creative, they ended up doing something illegal, dangerous or even life threatening.  Plenty of people that dropped acid in the 60's, 70's and even today can wind up in mental hospital or have a bad trip.

 

I agree, which is why I added the "not necessarily so" (both in doing it and having your perspective changed, or in not doing it and never being able to get the same effect).

 
 Bottom line, there are ways to increase your creative side of your brain and it usually means meditating, learning to do things that are creative like learn to play a musical instrument, learn to paint, sculpt, etc. etc.  There are books that you can read on  how to increase your creative side of your brain without the use of drugs, alcohol.   FYI, not all of the greatest ideas were Job's or Wozniak's or thought of while under the influence either.  

 

There are many ways to bring your mind into a state where it's open to seeing things from a different perspective.  I'd add spending time a country where the culture and language are far different from your own to that list (doesn't have to be India -- I personally experienced it when I was in Italy).  Though many people's reaction to being uncomfortable is to simply tune out and desperately cling to what they know.  So again, there's no guarantees of anything.

 

And I highly doubt that any of the Steves' great accomplishments came while directly under the influence.  It's usually more the case where the thoughts you had while being in a more receptive state (however that was achieved) will have an impact on the things you do afterwards while not.  And yes, people can definitely spin off into bad directions (even those who don't do drugs).  I'm certainly no Timothy Leary when it comes to this topic.

 

Anyways, I can see you like dealing in absolutes a lot -- perhaps based on personal experience, which I certainly can't argue with.  My main argument here is that, black and white statements about what technically creative types should and shouldn't be doing in the process of exploring technology and learning how to shape it (as long as it's not directly affecting others like hacking computer systems they don't own, selling illegal products, or similar), aren't beneficial.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #166 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There were lots of hobbyist computers around then... all of them are gone now! The two major competitors to Apple were the Radio Shack TRS--80 (Trash)-80) and North Star (Kentucky Fried Computer) -- neither survived the 1980s.

 

And sorry, I didn't mean to be so curt about your post -- just a little busy atm.  I do enjoy the great stories from that era which you bring to the forum.  I remember well the Trash-80, though I owned Commodore machines around that time period (Vic 20 and later the C64).  However, I've never heard of the North Star… I'll have to look that one up (EDIT: looks like they had great camaraderie there).


Edited by auxio - 10/25/13 at 11:28am
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #167 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

I agree, which is why I added the "not necessarily so" (both in doing it and having your perspective changed, or in not doing it and never being able to get the same effect).

 

There are many ways to bring your mind into a state where it's open to seeing things from a different perspective.  I'd add spending time a country where the culture and language are far different from your own to that list (doesn't have to be India -- I personally experienced it when I was in Italy).  Though many people's reaction to being uncomfortable is to simply tune out and desperately cling to what they know.  So again, there's no guarantees of anything.

 

And I highly doubt that any of the Steves' great accomplishments came while directly under the influence.  It's usually more the case where the thoughts you had while being in a more receptive state (however that was achieved) will have an impact on the things you do afterwards while not.  And yes, people can definitely spin off into bad directions (even those who don't do drugs).  I'm certainly no Timothy Leary when it comes to this topic.

 

Anyways, I can see you like dealing in absolutes a lot -- perhaps based on personal experience, which I certainly can't argue with.  My main argument here is that, black and white statements about what technically creative types should and shouldn't be doing in the process of exploring technology and learning how to shape it (as long as it's not directly affecting others like hacking computer systems they don't own, selling illegal products, or similar), aren't beneficial.

 

sorry, but Hackintosh systems are breaking any new ground.  They are just hacked BS and we have enough problems with hacker mentality that everyone has to deal with and the less of it the better.   If every Hackintosh user just bought a Mac instead of pirating the OS, Apple's desktop sales would be higher.  I don't know by how much, but if someone was a shareholder, I would be pissed off at these people for hacking OS X.  Bottom line, pay for what you use and play by the rules.  You actually might benefit in other ways like be taken seriously.

 

I for one, wouldn't hire someone that is a Hackintosh user and if I found out they were doing it, I would fire them immediately as I would NOT want to promote that behavior amongst people that work for my company.  Illegal use of software in the workplace for MOST legitimate companies is frowned upon and could be grounds for termination.  Many companies have ZERO tolerance for hackers using illegal code within the workplace.  Don't get into that habit at home, it's not a good habit.  And ESPECIALLY don't promote it on forums and blogs because there are a lot of children reading this stuff and they get easily manipulated by this behavior.

post #168 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I for one, wouldn't hire someone that is a Hackintosh user and if I found out they were doing it, I would fire them immediately as I would NOT want to promote that behavior amongst people that work for my company.  Illegal use of software in the workplace for MOST legitimate companies is frowned upon and could be grounds for termination.  Many companies have ZERO tolerance for hackers using illegal code within the workplace.  Don't get into that habit at home, it's not a good habit.  And ESPECIALLY don't promote it on forums and blogs because there are a lot of children reading this stuff and they get easily manipulated by this behavior.

 

No, I wouldn't hire a Hackintosh user either.  But I might hire a Hackintosh creator (i.e. someone who worked on the OSx86 project) as long as they aren't involved in the sale/distribution of such systems (i.e. the truly illegal activities).  Someone who has spent countless hours learning things like how the EFI on Macs differs from that of PCs, how the hardware ID on a Mac works, etc.  Because I find that someone who has that level of curiosity about the inner workings of technology, and a creative mind for problem solving, can be quite valuable if applied to a legitimate project requiring difficult problem solving skills and attention to detail (assuming they can work well on a team).

 

Would I prefer it if someone had developed such skills and found their creativity in post-secondary education?  Sure.  But not everyone gets that opportunity (nor takes it).  See the person and their potential, not just the resume.

 

And no, I wouldn't hire you for my HR department. :p


Edited by auxio - 10/25/13 at 12:32pm
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #169 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

No, I wouldn't hire a Hackintosh user either.  But I might hire a Hackintosh creator (i.e. someone who worked on the OSx86 project) as long as they aren't involved in the sale/distribution of such systems (i.e. the truly illegal activities).  Someone who has spent countless hours learning things like how the EFI on Macs differs from that of PCs, how the hardware ID on a Mac works, etc.  Because I find that someone who has that level of curiosity about the inner workings of technology, and a creative mind for problem solving, can be quite valuable if applied to a legitimate project requiring difficult problem solving skills and attention to detail (assuming they can work well on a team).

 

Would I prefer it if someone had developed such skills and found their creativity in post-secondary education?  Sure.  But not everyone gets that opportunity (nor takes it).  See the person and their potential, not just the resume.

 

And no, I wouldn't hire you for my HR department. :p

A Hackintosh Creator?  What's a Hackintosh Creator?   THis is what Wiki says about your OSX86 project.   The Apple software license does not allow Mac OS X to be used on a computer that is not "Apple-branded"

 

Why would you need to hire these guys?  All they are doing is figuring out how to make Apple's OS X work on non-Apple branded hardware, which is against the Apple software licensing. 

 

What legitimate use would these people provide for a LEGITIMATE 3rd party company?  They are hackers.  They are doing something that promotes illegal behavior.

 

Bottom line, YOU are promoting violations of a software license agreement.

 

I wouldn't work for you even if you paid me to.  I'm not THAT desperate to work for criminals and unethical people.    There are plenty of people that know about the inner workings of Apple hardware that are useful for third party hardware solutions to work with Apple hardware.  That's where the legitimate people use these systems. So it sounds like you just want to cater to hackers.  That's being dumb.

post #170 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I wouldn't work for you even if you paid me to.  I'm not THAT desperate to work for criminals and unethical people.    There are plenty of people that know about the inner workings of Apple hardware that are useful for third party hardware solutions to work with Apple hardware.  That's where the legitimate people use these systems. So it sounds like you just want to cater to hackers.  That's being dumb.

 

Then I guess Apple must be criminal, unethical, and dumb too for hiring people who hack their products:

 

http://www.quickpwn.com/2011/08/apple-hires-jailbreak-developer-comex.html

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/16/apple.courts.iphone.dev.team.member/

 

You clearly have very little knowledge of the history of technology and how the tech industry works, and simply want judge the world based on your limited black and white view of it.  So there's little more for me to say here.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #171 of 281

I hope the Hackintosh community keeps existing if only to build us OS X support for future PCIe graphics cards.

 

Because heaven knows Apple couldn’t care less about new GPUs for old Mac Pros.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #172 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Then I guess Apple must be criminal, unethical, and dumb too for hiring people who hack their products:

 

http://www.quickpwn.com/2011/08/apple-hires-jailbreak-developer-comex.html

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/16/apple.courts.iphone.dev.team.member/

 

You clearly have very little knowledge of the history of technology and how the tech industry works, and simply want judge the world based on your limited black and white view of it.  So there's little more for me to say here.

They do it so they can fix problems.  They need people do hack their own OS and apps so they can figure out way to prevent it.  It's done in a controlled environment where they are doing it to improve their own products.  TOTALLY different.

 

But Apple is the original developer of the OS and hardware and apps, they need to hire people to help them do it, but to go around promoting the use of OS X on a non-Apple branded hardware is TOTALLY different.  Did you wake up this way or are you consuming drugs and/or alcohol to destroy the portion of your brain that actually uses good judgement?  Seriously.

 

They don't want EXTERNAL hackers, but they'll hire people to do things in a controlled environment.  

post #173 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

They do it so they can fix problems.  They need people do hack their own OS and apps so they can figure out way to prevent it.  It's done in a controlled environment where they are doing it to improve their own products.  TOTALLY different.

 

But I thought you said that such activities were illegal?  If so, then Apple is hiring criminals, regardless of whether or not it's their own products.

 
Did you wake up this way or are you consuming drugs and/or alcohol to destroy the portion of your brain that actually uses good judgement?  Seriously.

 

And here we've encountered the point where you've realized your arguments are falling apart, and are resorting to insults in a desperate attempt to "cling to what you know" (linking back to my discussion on people's reactions to the unfamiliar/uncomfortable).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #174 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

I hope the Hackintosh community keeps existing if only to build us OS X support for future PCIe graphics cards.

 

Yeah, I believe a lot of the hacked-for-Mac graphics card firmware was coming out the OSx86 community.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #175 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

But I thought you said that such activities were illegal?  If so, then Apple is hiring criminals, regardless of whether or not it's their own products.

 

And here we've encountered the point where you've realized your arguments are falling apart, and are resorting to insults in a desperate attempt to "cling to what you know" (linking back to my discussion on people's reactions to the unfamiliar/uncomfortable).

Did you actually go to school and learn how to read?  You OBVIOUSLY missed the two operative words "CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT".


There are people that go to college that learn about security and learn how to break OSs in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT.  That's NOT ILLEGAL.  But when you put that on the internet and out in the open that's for malicious purposes, THAT'S illegal.

 

And when Apple hires people to hack into their systems internally, they aren't using Hackintosh computers, they are using Macs and they aren't releasing their hacks to the world, they just use that for internal purposes to help prevent hackers.  And I'm sure they will hire people that go to college, work for Government security people from time to time.  But it's all done in a controlled environment using Apple computers, not Hackintoshes.

 

Promoting Hackintosh systems publicly is promoting criminal behavior.


Edited by drblank - 10/25/13 at 2:40pm
post #176 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Yeah, I believe a lot of the hacked-for-Mac graphics card firmware was coming out the OSx86 community.

I think you need to re-read the Apple memo.  The new MacPros come with graphics cards built in and there isn't even an option to replace those cards with third party, so that "hacked for Mac graphics card firmware" goes Bye Bye.

 

If they are using Macs and not violating Apple's licensing agreement and can come up with things that are not illegal, fine, but I don't see anything that I'm aware of that's coming out of those guys that's supported by Apple and the 3rd parties.  if you actually know of anything, let's see it.  But they should only be using Macs instead of clone boxes.

post #177 of 281
Quote:

There are people that go to college that learn about security and learn how to break OSs in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT.  That's NOT ILLEGAL.  But when you put that on the internet and out in the open that's for malicious purposes, THAT'S illegal.

 

The member of the iPhone Dev Team that Apple hired (Comex) worked publicly, outside of Apple, finding ways to jailbreak iOS.  The he posted tools for others to use publicly, on the internet, outside of Apple.  No controlled environment.  So again, illegal by your definition yet hired by Apple.

 

But please, continue to vehemently defend an argument you clearly pulled out of thin air and insult me...

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #178 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I think you need to re-read the Apple memo.  The new MacPros come with graphics cards built in and there isn't even an option to replace those cards with third party, so that "hacked for Mac graphics card firmware" goes Bye Bye.

 

I think you need to re-read post #172 again.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #179 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

I think you need to re-read post #172 again.

No, I think you need to keep your mouth quiet on this Hackintosh BS and get your own house in order with regards to practicing honest and ethical behavior.  Then we won't have any disagreements.

post #180 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

No, I think you need to keep your mouth quiet on this Hackintosh BS and get your own house in order with regards to practicing honest and ethical behavior.  Then we won't have any disagreements.

 

You are on a crusade!  Are you this strict on everything?  Speeding, for example?  Do you yourself ever speed?  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #181 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

 

You are on a crusade!  Are you this strict on everything?  Speeding, for example?  Do you yourself ever speed?  

I've been known to speed when I was a lot younger.  My last ticket for speeding was about 10 years ago.   I think it was for something like around 5mph over the speed limit.  In fact, I've gotten three of those at known speed traps within about a 2 year period, but this was over 10 years ago.  They were all chicken $hit tickets.  I got a really bad ticket 94+ on the freeway, but that was in early 80's. It was funny, my car's speedometer only went to 80, so I thought I was going 80.  The cop told me I was probably going 110, but he cited me for 94+ so I wouldn't get taken in.  I was laughing my a$$ off. I didn't even think my car could even do 110 in the first place. It was some low end Japanese car from the early 80's. The speedometer only went to 80.  So, what am I supposed know how fast I was going over 80.  I ended up going to traffic school.  l've sped before where I didn't get caught.  But there was basically no one else on the road, one time it was a straight highway in the middle of the day and I took the car up to 110 for about 10 seconds or so.  I had recently bought the car, so I just wanted to see what it felt like.  I had also taken one of those driving safety classes that's put on by professional race drivers.   I HIGHLY recommend those courses.  You learn a lot about badly you currently drive and how to deal with potential accidents, how to deal with anti-lock brakes, how to position your seat, mirrors, and steering wheel.  You'd be surprised how many people don't actually know how to set things up.  They said that most people don't know unless they've taken these types of classes.  They said that only a couple of driving schools are teaching properly.  

post #182 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

 

You are on a crusade!  Are you this strict on everything?  Speeding, for example?  Do you yourself ever speed?  

Strict on everything?   NO.  Some things I'm pretty lax on, but some things not.  I do have my boundaries on various subjects.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet that I listen to more styles of music than you do.  I just choose not to listen to crap music that barely qualifies as music.  So when someone tries to explain to me what to listen to, I will listen to music, but REAL music, not some BS that 90% of the pop culture is currently spitting out.   Most of it qualifies to me as demo music and not good enough to be sold and promoted.  But that's my feelings.  There was a day when only really good musicians/bands would get a recording contract, they would get experienced producers working with them, and they had to put out albums with real musicians, then things got a little lax and then more crap came out that really shouldn't.  Now, it's a free for all and 90% of the music coming out is TOTAL garbage.  But that's my opinion and actually a lot of well respected musicians, producers and other music critics feel the same way I do, so I'm not alone on that.


But when it comes to business ethics, ethics in general, I've always had what I feel a lot better integrity over the years.  I might have made a few mistakes when I was young, but generally speaking, i have very little tolerance for dishonest people.  We have too much of it in this world and it certainly isn't good for the business environment or even personal relationships.   Would you make friends with someone that is dishonest?  I have and I've gotten screwed by them.  But most of the time I find people that get caught red handed doing something illegal are afraid to admit it and then make things right with the other party.  I know corporations do that all of the time and it's usually because the attorneys that represent them are usually just LOSERS to begin with and become just as guilty as the people within the company that are doing the violation as all they do is KNOW something illegal is happening, but are paid to ignore it and force things to go to court, when it could have been resolved in a simple HONEST discussion and settlement. 

 

If you've never been victimized, then you might not know what it feels like, trust me.  With the way things are done, if you've never been victimized, one day soon you will.  It happens to just about everyone many times over their lifespan, especially nowadays with all of the idiots that are being spit out of school and their bad influences where most of these reality TV shows are promoting STUPID behavior.

post #183 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

No one is talking about channel bonding.

Very significant tidbit they dropped there

 

That is all Thunderbolt 2 is... Thunderbolt 1 with the ability to bond two channels.  Or are you talking about some other bonded channels? 

post #184 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Add motherboard, storage, power supply, case. Plus, "pro" grade graphics are usually more expensive than consumer/enthusiast parts based on same tech.

 

- a motherboard with an Intel X79 chipset -- which I believe can support Xeon E5's -- costs around $400

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79_WS/

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x79-express-chipset.html

 

- the price of a 256GB SSD is around $250

http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/neutron-series-ssd/neutron-series-256gb-sata-3-6gbs-ssd.html

 

so those two components would add $650 on top of the CPU + GPU + memory cost of $1000.  that would leave about $1400 for power supply, case, I/O ports and enterprise class GPU drivers.

 

You quoted a SATA SSD Price, but all the new Macs have moved to PCIe for additional performance. 

post #185 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

On the other hand, if you are working in Windows environment, you will probably not be considering Macs in general.

 

I work in a Windows environment but I don't want a giant workstation box to put somewhere.  I switched to a MacBook Pro that sits on my desktop, closed, flat, used as another surface, plugged into my monitor, keyboard and mouse.  I just set the power savings control panel to not put the computer to sleep when the lid is closed.

 

 

No need to do that. I have used macs in this way for years. 

 

Plug in all IO cables to the mac applying power last. Keyboard should wake the mac so you can login. Reverse with power first followed by all other IO to disconnect and take your mac with you. If it goes to sleep or not is a controlled by power savings panel as you mentioned. You can have it go to sleep and wake it with keyboard, etc. using this connect/disconnect pattern.

post #186 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post
 

 

That is all Thunderbolt 2 is... Thunderbolt 1 with the ability to bond two channels.  Or are you talking about some other bonded channels? 

 

I think he means the ability to combine multiple interfaces into a single data connection in order to boost speed.  I used to have a Linux NAS/router box where I bonded two gigabit ethernet ports for maximum speed (great when multiple computers are copying large files across the network).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #187 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Strict on everything?   NO.  Some things I'm pretty lax on, but some things not.  I do have my boundaries on various subjects.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet that I listen to more styles of music than you do.  I just choose not to listen to crap music that barely qualifies as music.  So when someone tries to explain to me what to listen to, I will listen to music, but REAL music, not some BS that 90% of the pop culture is currently spitting out.   Most of it qualifies to me as demo music and not good enough to be sold and promoted.  But that's my feelings.  There was a day when only really good musicians/bands would get a recording contract, they would get experienced producers working with them, and they had to put out albums with real musicians, then things got a little lax and then more crap came out that really shouldn't.  Now, it's a free for all and 90% of the music coming out is TOTAL garbage.  But that's my opinion and actually a lot of well respected musicians, producers and other music critics feel the same way I do, so I'm not alone on that.


But when it comes to business ethics, ethics in general, I've always had what I feel a lot better integrity over the years.  I might have made a few mistakes when I was young, but generally speaking, i have very little tolerance for dishonest people.  We have too much of it in this world and it certainly isn't good for the business environment or even personal relationships.   Would you make friends with someone that is dishonest?  I have and I've gotten screwed by them.  But most of the time I find people that get caught red handed doing something illegal are afraid to admit it and then make things right with the other party.  I know corporations do that all of the time and it's usually because the attorneys that represent them are usually just LOSERS to begin with and become just as guilty as the people within the company that are doing the violation as all they do is KNOW something illegal is happening, but are paid to ignore it and force things to go to court, when it could have been resolved in a simple HONEST discussion and settlement. 

 

If you've never been victimized, then you might not know what it feels like, trust me.  With the way things are done, if you've never been victimized, one day soon you will.  It happens to just about everyone many times over their lifespan, especially nowadays with all of the idiots that are being spit out of school and their bad influences where most of these reality TV shows are promoting STUPID behavior.

 

ok, so now we get down to what really motivates your beliefs -- personal experience.  And I will never argue with that.

 

Here's my personal experience (which is just as valid as yours).  When I was younger (post-secondary age), I met some really brilliant people who I credit with help breaking me out of the thinking I had developed as a child (from my very limited experiences and the outlook of my parents).  They were very well-read in philosophy, history, art, politics, and raised questions about the statements I made, forcing me to think more deeply about them and find what I truly believed, and really find evidence in the world (historical writings, world events, etc) to support my beliefs.  Similar to what a scientist does for a scientific hypothesis, but for a personal belief system.

 

Existentialist, social, political philosophy, the connections to art/music/expression, the foundations of technology and the balance of logic/mathematics/structure with creativity.  This was the 'trip' that lead me to become who I am today.  It was not the American media's portrayal of kids throwing away their lives.  In fact, it was the exact opposite: it was a factor in helping me find mine.  I can imagine that living around Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s would have been a similar experience for many during that time -- an intellectual journey which helped influence the mindset which drove the personal computing revolution (create tools, create your own world).

 

So that covers one part of the picture.  The other is that my family didn't have a lot of money growing up.  We weren't poor, but certainly I went into debt for the opportunity at post-secondary education.  This in a country where tuition at a decent school is substantially less costly than it is in the US (though getting closer each year).  I honestly don't know if I would have had the same opportunity living in the US.

 

So anyways, I had to make do with learning using whatever technology I could get my hands on growing up.  I definitely couldn't afford Macs, and often hacked together machines out of whatever PC components I could afford.  Which actually turned out to be a great journey of learning how computer internals work (necessity is the mother of invention).  And this is where I can relate to the Hackintosh community -- the exploration/learning with what you have side of it, not the illegal business end of it.

 

This is the side of life which you don't see because your experiences seem to be solely related to creating and maintaining businesses.  In my limited experience of the business world, I can definitely understand where you are coming from (it's a real ethics free-for-all, to put it nicely).  However, what you don't realize is that, in the vast majority of cases, it's not the people who are spending countless hours learning about computer hardware who are creating businesses around the sale of Hackintosh machines (where would they find the time?), it's the unethical investors who see an opportunity to make money off of them.

 

And yes, there are certainly technology people who make a career out of working for these unethical investors because of some misguided anger towards society.  Kinda like there was in the late 60s, but without the constructive outlets (protests, creating tools for self-sustainability in an attempt to break away from society, etc).  I can only imagine what would have happened to the Steves had they found someone willing to fund their blue-box business...

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #188 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

ok, so now we get down to what really motivates your beliefs -- personal experience.  And I will never argue with that.

 

Here's my personal experience (which is just as valid as yours).  When I was younger (post-secondary age), I met some really brilliant people who I credit with help breaking me out of the thinking I had developed as a child (from my very limited experiences and the outlook of my parents).  They were very well-read in philosophy, history, art, politics, and raised questions about the statements I made, forcing me to think more deeply about them and find what I truly believed, and really find evidence in the world (historical writings, world events, etc) to support my beliefs.  Similar to what a scientist does for a scientific hypothesis, but for a personal belief system.

 

Existentialist, social, political philosophy, the connections to art/music/expression, the foundations of technology and the balance of logic/mathematics/structure with creativity.  This was the 'trip' that lead me to become who I am today.  It was not the American media's portrayal of kids throwing away their lives.  In fact, it was the exact opposite: it was a factor in helping me find mine.  I can imagine that living around Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s would have been a similar experience for many during that time -- an intellectual journey which helped influence the mindset which drove the personal computing revolution (create tools, create your own world).

 

So that covers one part of the picture.  The other is that my family didn't have a lot of money growing up.  We weren't poor, but certainly I went into debt for the opportunity at post-secondary education.  This in a country where tuition at a decent school is substantially less costly than it is in the US (though getting closer each year).  I honestly don't know if I would have had the same opportunity living in the US.

 

So anyways, I had to make do with learning using whatever technology I could get my hands on growing up.  I definitely couldn't afford Macs, and often hacked together machines out of whatever PC components I could afford.  Which actually turned out to be a great journey of learning how computer internals work (necessity is the mother of invention).  And this is where I can relate to the Hackintosh community -- the exploration/learning with what you have side of it, not the illegal business end of it.

 

This is the side of life which you don't see because your experiences seem to be solely related to creating and maintaining businesses.  In my limited experience of the business world, I can definitely understand where you are coming from (it's a real ethics free-for-all, to put it nicely).  However, what you don't realize is that, in the vast majority of cases, it's not the people who are spending countless hours learning about computer hardware who are creating businesses around the sale of Hackintosh machines (where would they find the time?), it's the unethical investors who see an opportunity to make money off of them.

 

And yes, there are certainly technology people who make a career out of working for these unethical investors because of some misguided anger towards society.  Kinda like there was in the late 60s, but without the constructive outlets (protests, creating tools for self-sustainability in an attempt to break away from society, etc).  I can only imagine what would have happened to the Steves had they found someone willing to fund their blue-box business...

I grew up with people that had an education and they had friends that had lots of education, PhD's in psychology, physics, mechanical engineering, etc., etc. etc. etc. etc.  All the top people in whatever discipline was presented around me.  I wasn't given a Mac by my parents, I have always PAID for my own.  Sometimes, I bought used because I couldn't afford new.  My parents only paid for books and tuition to college.  Living expenses were my own doing.  I had to work full time making low wages while attending night school for 4 years.  I had also taken another 4 years to finish one of my degrees as I invested money along the way (Microsoft/Intel mostly) that helped pay for living expenses, etc.  I've been broke to the point where I had no money to eat food for a month and had to literally go through garbage cans looking for food.  Talk about BROKE.  I have been more broke than you, so quit your whining.  Have you ever had a job where upper management was doing things that were illegal and unethical and it affected YOUR ability to do YOUR job and then you get a call from the CEO of the company you work for and on the line is the VP of Legal, VP of HR, COO, and VP of Marketing on a conference call telling you not to talk to the media about some specific things that were going on and then the CEO tells you that your job is not in jeopardy and then the next day your manager fires you for nothing that you've done wrong or written up about? And then you find out years later that they tampered with your personnel files and that you can sue a TON of RICH alcoholic as swipes for everything they have, but you don't have any money to hire an attorney, or can't an attorney to take your case and your parents won't help, even though they could??  And as a result you can't get a job because of what they are saying behind your back? 

 

So right now, I have what ever money I have from however I have it (legally mind you) and if I want to buy some decent stereo system to listen to higher quality music on my iMac but I don't have megabucks to do it, but I can afford $2000, then I think I'm entitled to do so.


I have had other people that were SUPPOSED to be my friend that turned out that they did other things that violated my civil rights where I can sue LITERALLY about 30 companies for copyright infringement, but some of the cases are only worth $7500 on up to $1.5 Mil or more, but I don't have the money to get an attorney or can't find a decent one willing to take my case, or I just simply don't want the extra stress of suing RICH companies that HAVE the money to pay the settlements.

 

Or about a bank that tried to withheld $140K of your money illegally or doing other things preventing your access to large sums of YOUR money and you're not doing anything wrong or illegal?  they just figured out a way to lie to me and get away with it unit l can find an attorney that won't gouge me for 33% when they don't need to spend much time on the case.

 

Now, I know people grow up in different environments, etc.  Some people have and some people don't.  If you don't, then don't worry about what other people that do have.  There are people that like good stereos, cars, boats, etc. etc.  I don't try to conjure up BS to try to put someone down because they want to spend $100 Million on boat, when I would NEVER do that, even if I did have that amount of money.

 

To try to damage someone's reputation because they sell cables costing thousands of dollars calling it snake oil because some of the TOP recording studios or mega buck stereos use them seems to me like they AREN'T snake oil.  A recording studio RARELY buys something expensive just to show off, they buy it because THEY hear the difference and THEY buy LOTS of equipment that they thought was great one day and not the next.  You should see what some studios like OceanWay has in their arsenal of equipment that may get used once a year by someone.   It's ridiculous to some, but not to others.

 

So if you don't like how much someone ELSE spends on money, then keep it to yourself or THINK about WHY they might spend that money.  If it's just because it's got gold plating and diamonds on it, that's for show. But if it's the internal workings, build quality, design, limited production, etc., then it's not.  Yeah, the big buck systems are 50% for sound/quality and 50% for show because as long as you are buying something that expensive, it might as well LOOK expensive.  That's partly how SOME companies sell product.  Some don't.  Some are ugly as sin, but sound and are built like tanks.   It's all in what someone wants and is wiling to pay for.


So, what's your point?  somehow, as tear jerking as your story is, it's not so significant to me.   Got it?


Next topic.

post #189 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

ok, so now we get down to what really motivates your beliefs -- personal experience.  And I will never argue with that.

 

Here's my personal experience (which is just as valid as yours).  When I was younger (post-secondary age), I met some really brilliant people who I credit with help breaking me out of the thinking I had developed as a child (from my very limited experiences and the outlook of my parents).  They were very well-read in philosophy, history, art, politics, and raised questions about the statements I made, forcing me to think more deeply about them and find what I truly believed, and really find evidence in the world (historical writings, world events, etc) to support my beliefs.  Similar to what a scientist does for a scientific hypothesis, but for a personal belief system.

 

Existentialist, social, political philosophy, the connections to art/music/expression, the foundations of technology and the balance of logic/mathematics/structure with creativity.  This was the 'trip' that lead me to become who I am today.  It was not the American media's portrayal of kids throwing away their lives.  In fact, it was the exact opposite: it was a factor in helping me find mine.  I can imagine that living around Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s would have been a similar experience for many during that time -- an intellectual journey which helped influence the mindset which drove the personal computing revolution (create tools, create your own world).

 

So that covers one part of the picture.  The other is that my family didn't have a lot of money growing up.  We weren't poor, but certainly I went into debt for the opportunity at post-secondary education.  This in a country where tuition at a decent school is substantially less costly than it is in the US (though getting closer each year).  I honestly don't know if I would have had the same opportunity living in the US.

 

So anyways, I had to make do with learning using whatever technology I could get my hands on growing up.  I definitely couldn't afford Macs, and often hacked together machines out of whatever PC components I could afford.  Which actually turned out to be a great journey of learning how computer internals work (necessity is the mother of invention).  And this is where I can relate to the Hackintosh community -- the exploration/learning with what you have side of it, not the illegal business end of it.

 

This is the side of life which you don't see because your experiences seem to be solely related to creating and maintaining businesses.  In my limited experience of the business world, I can definitely understand where you are coming from (it's a real ethics free-for-all, to put it nicely).  However, what you don't realize is that, in the vast majority of cases, it's not the people who are spending countless hours learning about computer hardware who are creating businesses around the sale of Hackintosh machines (where would they find the time?), it's the unethical investors who see an opportunity to make money off of them.

 

And yes, there are certainly technology people who make a career out of working for these unethical investors because of some misguided anger towards society.  Kinda like there was in the late 60s, but without the constructive outlets (protests, creating tools for self-sustainability in an attempt to break away from society, etc).  I can only imagine what would have happened to the Steves had they found someone willing to fund their blue-box business...

Y:eah, they have those Magic Jack boxes that allow free phone calls over the internet.

post #190 of 281
Quote:

So, what's your point?  somehow, as tear jerking as your story is, it's not so significant to me.   Got it?

 

Then you obviously missed the point.  It's not about me, nor is my story even tear jerking.  It's about seeing that people can have different outlooks on life.  Yours is obviously very money and business centric, mine is on always learning, creating, seeing what's possible.

 

It's also about different paths to finding one's purpose in life, even if such paths may lead people through areas that some people believe they should be locked up and have the key thrown away for (like experimenting with mind-altering substances or using technology they own in ways it wasn't intended for the purpose of learning).  Because, in my way of thinking, it's far more rewarding to focus on the potential of people given a chance to do something great, than to blindly pass judgement on others because you've had bad experiences in the past.

 

I'm sorry you've encountered so many money-grubbers in your life.  I've encountered a few as well, and I generally try to stay away from such people (and not work for companies which have that feel to them).  Though I have no doubt that it's easier in my line of work (being around mostly inspired, creative people) than yours.


Edited by auxio - 10/28/13 at 11:34am
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #191 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

ok, so now we get down to what really motivates your beliefs -- personal experience.  And I will never argue with that.

 

Here's my personal experience (which is just as valid as yours).  When I was younger (post-secondary age), I met some really brilliant people who I credit with help breaking me out of the thinking I had developed as a child (from my very limited experiences and the outlook of my parents).  They were very well-read in philosophy, history, art, politics, and raised questions about the statements I made, forcing me to think more deeply about them and find what I truly believed, and really find evidence in the world (historical writings, world events, etc) to support my beliefs.  Similar to what a scientist does for a scientific hypothesis, but for a personal belief system.

 

Existentialist, social, political philosophy, the connections to art/music/expression, the foundations of technology and the balance of logic/mathematics/structure with creativity.  This was the 'trip' that lead me to become who I am today.  It was not the American media's portrayal of kids throwing away their lives.  In fact, it was the exact opposite: it was a factor in helping me find mine.  I can imagine that living around Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s would have been a similar experience for many during that time -- an intellectual journey which helped influence the mindset which drove the personal computing revolution (create tools, create your own world).

 

So that covers one part of the picture.  The other is that my family didn't have a lot of money growing up.  We weren't poor, but certainly I went into debt for the opportunity at post-secondary education.  This in a country where tuition at a decent school is substantially less costly than it is in the US (though getting closer each year).  I honestly don't know if I would have had the same opportunity living in the US.

 

So anyways, I had to make do with learning using whatever technology I could get my hands on growing up.  I definitely couldn't afford Macs, and often hacked together machines out of whatever PC components I could afford.  Which actually turned out to be a great journey of learning how computer internals work (necessity is the mother of invention).  And this is where I can relate to the Hackintosh community -- the exploration/learning with what you have side of it, not the illegal business end of it.

 

This is the side of life which you don't see because your experiences seem to be solely related to creating and maintaining businesses.  In my limited experience of the business world, I can definitely understand where you are coming from (it's a real ethics free-for-all, to put it nicely).  However, what you don't realize is that, in the vast majority of cases, it's not the people who are spending countless hours learning about computer hardware who are creating businesses around the sale of Hackintosh machines (where would they find the time?), it's the unethical investors who see an opportunity to make money off of them.

 

And yes, there are certainly technology people who make a career out of working for these unethical investors because of some misguided anger towards society.  Kinda like there was in the late 60s, but without the constructive outlets (protests, creating tools for self-sustainability in an attempt to break away from society, etc).  I can only imagine what would have happened to the Steves had they found someone willing to fund their blue-box business...

The people that make the money on Hackintosh are the motherboard mfg, cases mfg, etc. that sell DIY clone boxes, what OS they put on it, they don't know and don't really care.   The Hackintosh system is just predominately (from MY observations) typically kids and some adults (that STILL act like kids) that want to buy some high powered tower with faster this, more that, for less than a Mac Pro, etc. so they can feel superior and in the end all they REALLY use them for are video games that they could have EASILY been playing on an Nintendo, Xbox, or WEEEEEEE  box. but they just want to feel superior to the kids that come from money that have MacPro systems.  That's MY observation regarding MOST of the Hackintosh users I've run into..  Basically punks.

post #192 of 281
Quote:
The people that make the money on Hackintosh are the motherboard mfg, cases mfg, etc. that sell DIY clone boxes, what OS they put on it, they don't know and don't really care.

 

And these are the people who should be charged.  As soon as it crosses the line from: "Hey, I want to see if it's possible to run OS X on my personal PC" to "Let's make money selling clone boxes", then it has crossed from exploration to exploitation.

 

Quote:
The Hackintosh system is just predominately (from MY observations) typically kids and some adults (that STILL act like kids) that want to buy some high powered tower with faster this, more that, for less than a Mac Pro, etc. so they can feel superior and in the end all they REALLY use them for are video games that they could have EASILY been playing on an Nintendo, Xbox, or WEEEEEEE  box. but they just want to feel superior to the kids that come from money that have MacPro systems.  That's MY observation regarding MOST of the Hackintosh users I've run into..  Basically punks.

 

And again, you're confusing some of the people who run Hackintosh boxes with the ones who are learning how computer internals work in the process of trying to figure out how to run OS X on a PC in the first place (or how to put PC components into a Mac).

 

It's kinda like the difference between someone who simply buys and street races a modded car, and the mechanic who figures out how to make those modifications to the car in the first place.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #193 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Then you obviously missed the point.  It's not about me, nor is my story even tear jerking.  It's about seeing that people can have different outlooks on life.  Yours is obviously very money and business centric, mine is on always learning, creating, seeing what's possible.

 

It's also about different paths to finding one's purpose in life, even if such paths may lead people through areas that some people believe they should be locked up and have the key thrown away for (like experimenting with mind-altering substances or using technology in ways it wasn't intended).  Because, in my way of thinking, it's far more rewarding to focus on the potential of people given a chance to do something great, than to blindly pass judgement on others because you've had bad experiences in the past.

 

I'm sorry you've encountered so many money-grubbers in your life.  I've encountered a few as well, and I generally try to stay away from such people (and not work for companies which have that feel to them).  Though I have no doubt that it's easier in my line of work (being around mostly inspired, creative people) than yours.

What industry are you in that's inspired, creative, and not full of money grubbing selfish, petty, vindictive, and unethical people? Kind of hard to find those.   They usually turn up when you are least prepared and expected.  That's seems to be how criminals work.  they lie to your face to rope you in and then take you by surprise.  Happens ALL OF THE TIME.  I just draw the line with certain things.  I'll first tell someone it's wrong or illegal and HOPEFULLY they'll learn quickly, but the more they fight, the more I'll stand up for what's right. I've just run into a lot of Hackintosh users or others doing things illegal, unethical that are wrong and it's frustrating after a while. It makes one not give a crap what happens to other people, even though I do in a lot of ways.  I guess I'll just take the side of honesty, ethics and legal rather than dishonesty and illegal.  How about that?

post #194 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

What industry are you in that's inspired, creative, and not full of money grubbing selfish, petty, vindictive, and unethical people?

 

Computer hardware and software.  And yes, on the business side of things, there's always someone trying to copy the work you do and sell it (which is where I've encountered the money-grubbers).  However, on the side where one actually creates the products (product development teams), it's full of inspired, creative people who simply enjoy seeing what's possible (not all, but most).

 

I also seem to notice that, when I'm in the US, people seem to really have that "out to get mine" attitude moreso than here in Canada.  Which is likely why American businesses are very competitive in the world, but it makes me feel like I need to have my guard up all the time, and I feel like I have a hard time connecting with some people on a human/personal level.


Edited by auxio - 10/28/13 at 12:04pm
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #195 of 281

Hey guys, I realize that this thread has been pretty much dead regarding the  new Mac Pro but let's try and get it back on topic. Maybe you can compare life experience by using the PM feature.

 

One of the big questions, at least in my mind, is how much extra  is it going to cost to upgrade the PCIe storage? On the new Mac Book with PCIe storage it's $300 to go from 256GB to 512GB. OWC has PCIe storage for the old Mac Pro $459.99 for 240GB, $719.99 for 480GB, a $260 difference. 

 

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Buy_Now

 

So hopefully the bump up to 512GB will come in around $300, but given this is Apple and it might be a customer design module, it could be a hundred or two higher.

 

Thoughts? 

post #196 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
 

Hey guys, I realize that this thread has been pretty much dead regarding the  new Mac Pro but let's try and get it back on topic. Maybe you can compare life experience by using the PM feature.

 

Yeah, sorry about that.  Usually when a thread gets beyond 3 pages, it's already off topic (as this one was), but I got a bit carried away...

 

Quote:

So hopefully the bump up to 512GB will come in around $300, but given this is Apple and it might be a customer design module, it could be a hundred or two higher.

 

Thoughts? 

 

Apple has been pretty decent on their upgrade pricing of late (usually no more than $50-100 higher than if you did it yourself).  But yeah, given that it's aimed at pros, they might try to push the margins a bit higher.  Can't imagine more than a couple hundred higher.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #197 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
 

Hey guys, I realize that this thread has been pretty much dead regarding the  new Mac Pro but let's try and get it back on topic. Maybe you can compare life experience by using the PM feature.

 

One of the big questions, at least in my mind, is how much extra  is it going to cost to upgrade the PCIe storage? On the new Mac Book with PCIe storage it's $300 to go from 256GB to 512GB. OWC has PCIe storage for the old Mac Pro $459.99 for 240GB, $719.99 for 480GB, a $260 difference. 

 

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Buy_Now

 

So hopefully the bump up to 512GB will come in around $300, but given this is Apple and it might be a customer design module, it could be a hundred or two higher.

 

Thoughts? 

 

Yea I think that sounds about right, Apple does charge quite a bit for upgrades though, a little to much, their memory upgrade prices for instance are almost absurd.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #198 of 281

Just saw the estimated cost of the D300 by Architosh.

 

I wonder, could Apple surprise and allow print publishing users to configure a Pro with only one FirePro card?

 

Adobe CS print publishers likely don't need dual cards, but they're still part of the pro market.

 

Could just deleting one graphics card bring the machine a lot closer to the traditional $2,499 starting price?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #199 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Just saw the estimated cost of the D300 by Architosh.

I wonder, could Apple surprise and allow print publishing users to configure a Pro with only one FirePro card?

Adobe CS print publishers likely don't need dual cards, but they're still part of the pro market.

Could just deleting one graphics card bring the machine a lot closer to the traditional $2,499 starting price?

I checked out the specs of some AMD cards earlier and found the following ones matched:

The D300 is 2GB, 1280 SP, 256-bit, 160GB/s, 2TFlops = V7900 ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-3d/v7900/Pages/v7900.aspx = $629 each on newegg )
D500 is 3GB, 1526 SP, 384-bit, 240GB/s, 2.2TFlops = roughly half an S10000? ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/firepro-remote-graphics/S10000/Pages/S10000.aspx#3 )
D700 is 6GB, 2048 SP, 384-bit, 264GB/s, 3.5TFlops = S9000/W9000 ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/firepro-remote-graphics/S9000/Pages/S9000.aspx#3 = $2199 S9000, $3399 W9000)

The S10000 is a dual GPU sold as a single unit so it looks like the D500 is half of it. The Mac Pro with dual D500 should be like having a single S10000. The dual D700 should be like having a dual S9000 and the entry model like a dual V7900. Notice the S9000 is only $2200 retail so if they got a really good deal with AMD, it may only be a $2-3k premium over the lower models.

If they had taken one of the GPUs out of the Mac Pro on the entry, it might have dropped the price down to $2499 but it depends on the deal with AMD. AMD might have given them a 2 for 1 deal or just a slightly extra charge for the second GPU. It wouldn't make sense to take the second one out if they got a great deal for two. It helps AMD's supplier relations because they have to commit to a certain volume.

They should all drive 4K displays quite well, which could be useful with publishing. 4K is like print-quality text rendering. For people who want single CPU and GPU, that's what the iMac and MBP are for. Not much sense in paying for a Mac Pro box for $2500 when a $2500 iMac has everything required and a 27" IPS display.
post #200 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I checked out the specs of some AMD cards earlier and found the following ones matched:

The D300 is 2GB, 1280 SP, 256-bit, 160GB/s, 2TFlops = V7900 ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-3d/v7900/Pages/v7900.aspx = $629 each on newegg )
D500 is 3GB, 1526 SP, 384-bit, 240GB/s, 2.2TFlops = roughly half an S10000? ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/firepro-remote-graphics/S10000/Pages/S10000.aspx#3 )
D700 is 6GB, 2048 SP, 384-bit, 264GB/s, 3.5TFlops = S9000/W9000 ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/firepro-remote-graphics/S9000/Pages/S9000.aspx#3 = $2199 S9000, $3399 W9000)

The S10000 is a dual GPU sold as a single unit so it looks like the D500 is half of it. The Mac Pro with dual D500 should be like having a single S10000. The dual D700 should be like having a dual S9000 and the entry model like a dual V7900.

If they had taken one of the GPUs out of the Mac Pro on the entry, it might have dropped the price down to $2499 but it depends on the deal with AMD. AMD might have given them a 2 for 1 deal or just a slightly extra charge for the second GPU. It wouldn't make sense to take the second one out if they got a great deal for two. It helps AMD's supplier relations because they have to commit to a certain volume.

They should all drive 4K displays quite well, which might help with publishing. 4K is like print-quality text rendering. For people who want single CPU and GPU, that's what the iMac and MBP are for. Not much sense in paying for a Mac Pro box for $2500 when a $2500 iMac has everything required and a 27" IPS display.

But if Apple is giving you two of each processor, then it might not be like a 1/2 of something else, etc.

 

Can the APIs allow them to combine the processing power of two GPUs/memory even if someone is only using 1 monitor?  I'm not a developer so I'm not fully aware of what code they can utilize for this new dual GPU design.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999