or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
Pages, Numbers and Keynote, the three applications that comprise Apple's iWork suite, have all been updated for iOS and OS X, with Apple calling them the updates its biggest ever.

New iWork


All of the applications are now available for free with the purchase of any Mac or iOS device. And all three are available to download as of today.

The new iWork features full file compatibility, and is all 64-bit. A new user interface features a side panel for editing in Pages, giving users the ability to access controls without cluttering the screen.

Numbers allows users to create spreadsheets with Apple's free object-based design. The charts can now be interactive, so expense changes on a quarter-by-quarter basis can be viewed more easily.

Keynote has also been updated with new effects and animations. Tuesday's presentation by Apple was actually run through the latest version of Keynote.

With the new iWork, documents can also be shared via iCloud, allowing users to email a link and have someone else view the document in iWork for iCloud beta. Users can then view the document via a browser on Mac or PC, without even having iWork installed.

iWork for iCloud has also added collaboration, allowing users to work on documents together. In a live demonstration, two users were shown editing a document at the same time, with their presence in the document shown within the browser.
post #2 of 68

Love the free iWork on OSX.  Also love that you can now just send links- they dont need office, iWork, or anything- just a browser.  I used iWork 80% of the time, but now- Office is deleted off my Desktop in 3... 2.... 1...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #3 of 68

What’s their price if you DON’T have a new Mac? Same as the old?

 

And since they’re all App Store-based now, does that then mean free updates forever, or will they be delisted and relisted as "separate” applications?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #4 of 68
How is Microsoft going to have any future selling software in the tablet space? They can't make money selling their own tablet OS and they have to compete with free on the world's most popular tablet.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #5 of 68

Great keynote. I just received my gold 5S.  How do I go about getting the free iOS versions mentioned? If I go to the app store it shows a price. 

post #6 of 68
I *just* bought a Mac Mini two weeks ago...think I still qualify as a "new" Mac? My fingers are crossed.
post #7 of 68

I just saw on Apple's site that to get iWork for free you have to have bought a Mac on or before October 1st.  Ordered my Air on Sept. 29...  Hopefully it shows as free, if not I may be calling to see if I can talk Apple Support into giving it to me for free. :lol: 

post #8 of 68
Originally Posted by moosemanda View Post
I *just* bought a Mac Mini two weeks ago...think I still qualify as a "new" Mac? My fingers are crossed.

 

Nope. It will be all Macs purchased from today only.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #9 of 68

like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

post #10 of 68

I bought an iMac last week, wonders if I can get iWork suite for free.

post #11 of 68

Will the updates of iWorks and iLife be free for owners of the prior versions on OSX and iOS? I own all of them on both platforms and love them. Hope I don't have to buy again?

post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Nope. It will be all Macs purchased from today only.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemanda View Post

I *just* bought a Mac Mini two weeks ago...think I still qualify as a "new" Mac? My fingers are crossed.

Although TS might be technically correct- I would almost guarantee they make an exception for you.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 68
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Although TS might be technically correct- I would almost guarantee they make an exception for you.

 

As someone who himself got a free swap of a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo iMac (a month apart; back when they had restocking fees), I’d say e-mail Apple and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post
 

like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

 

At least they blend with the others.

 

It's the compatibility between iOS and Mac OS versions that is the big thing for me. Trying to keep things synced with iCloud was a mess because of different versions - should all be seemless now. This feature alone would be worth paying for ... except it's free.

post #15 of 68

I just went back on app store and now price is showing as free. But boy is loading slowly. Their servers are getting pounded. 

post #16 of 68
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
I just went back on app store and now price is showing as free.

 

Icons updated and everything? Or do you mean for the ’09 copies?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Nope. It will be all Macs purchased from today only.

 

even Apple tech support doesnt know that, I am on hold they are checking.  

 

On the ios side, from what I understand if you bought a device with ios7 you get the apps for free, so free for iPhone 5s and 5c.

post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Great keynote. I just received my gold 5S.  How do I go about getting the free iOS versions mentioned? If I go to the app store it shows a price. 

 

You don't.

post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

You don't.

Oh really? Guess I was daydreaming then since I just downloaded Pages, Numbers, keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie all for free on my 5s. 

post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Icons updated and everything? Or do you mean for the ’09 copies?

iOS app store

post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Oh really? Guess I was daydreaming then since I just downloaded Pages, Numbers, keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie all for free on my 5s. 

 

This is what Apple tech support just told me, if you bought something with iOS 7 the apps should be free.

On the mac side, they are checking if my imac bought at the end of september is eligible. 

 

UPDATE:  all macs bought from october 1st will get free apps after they upgrade to maverick


Edited by herbapou - 10/22/13 at 12:33pm
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

This is what Apple tech support just told me, if you bought something with iOS 7 the apps should be free.

On the mac side, they are checking if my imac bought at the end of september is eligible. 

 

I hope you get them free. I got my niece to buy a Macbook for her freshman year at college about the same time as you and it would be nice to get her off of using  MS Office and give iWork a shot. 

post #23 of 68
* Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Source: http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/

See bottom of web-page
post #24 of 68
I fear that the latest iWork and iLife apps will only be available for the latest Macs.
Still seeing good old Pages '09 as "installed" in the Mac App Store when I search for "pages."

Oops. I now see Tallest Skil's and herbapou's posts. Oh well. I'll keep running Pages '09.
Still syncs fine with iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #25 of 68
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
I fear that the latest iWork and iLife apps will only be available for the latest Macs.

 

There’s no way they can do that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

I bought an iMac last week, wonders if I can get iWork suite for free.

 

Of course you will.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemanda View Post

I *just* bought a Mac Mini two weeks ago...think I still qualify as a "new" Mac? My fingers are crossed.

Just bought an iMac yesterday. Me too!

post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How is Microsoft going to have any future selling software in the tablet space? They can't make money selling their own tablet OS and they have to compete with free on the world's most popular tablet.

MS are S.O.O.L. I'd say 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by opa1979 View Post

* Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Source: http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/

See bottom of web-page

I'd suggest checking out Logic Pro X before spending addition $s on GarageBand. LPX is amazing and just as simple and comes with everything ... and more ... 1smile.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post

like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

You must have funny looking crap.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #31 of 68

The new Pages and Keynote just showed up free in Software Updates for the two '09 standalone versions I purchased last year on an old Mac Pro 4,1 running Mavericks

post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is what Apple tech support just told me, if you bought something with iOS 7 the apps should be free.
On the mac side, they are checking if my imac bought at the end of september is eligible. 

UPDATE:  all macs bought from october 1st will get free apps after they upgrade to maverick

So I wonder if you buy a new Mac can the free versions then also be downloaded to your other older Macs as they could be pre this free version when they were purchased?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post

The new Pages and Keynote just showed up free in Software Updates for the two '09 standalone versions I purchased last year on an old Mac Pro 4,1 running Mavericks

They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

Update: I am seeing OS X iMove v10 now in free updates. Hopefully the rest will show up. I suppose only iLife though not iWork ...
Edited by digitalclips - 10/22/13 at 2:56pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Oh really? Guess I was daydreaming then since I just downloaded Pages, Numbers, keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie all for free on my 5s. 

I just got them for iPhone 4S and a 5.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

 

Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I just got them for iPhone 4S and a 5.

 

Yeah, it seems that once you get the free copies on an eligible device, you can get them on other devices as well. I downloaded all the freebies on my 5S and was then able to install them onto my iPad Mini.

post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Yeah, it seems that once you get the free copies on an eligible device, you can get them on other devices as well. I downloaded all the freebies on my 5S and was then able to install them onto my iPad Mini.

But I didn't have an eligible device! I have iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4S and 5 ... all got all free updates. Not that I am complaining, just wish my Macs were too, but I did just get iMovie 10, it popped up as available. Nothing else yet.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

Same here on Aperture and iWorks. Yes that seem one big weird mess dealing with box v online versions. I have a mix now and it drives me crazy at times.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #39 of 68

Excellent. 

 

So what happens with Aperture now? What's the story on that?

 

Is it just an iPhoto on steroids, or does Apple have plans to improve it to the degree that it can go head-to-head with Lightroom and Capture One? Because in its current state it can't.

post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
 

Excellent. 

 

So what happens with Aperture now? What's the story on that?

 

Is it just an iPhoto on steroids, or does Apple have plans to improve it to the degree that it can go head-to-head with Lightroom and Capture One? Because in its current state it can't.

 

I keep thinking the same thing. But then I went over to the Lightroom site and perused the version history on Wikipedia and honestly couldn't find much functionality in Lightroom that is missing in Aperture (aside from tight integration with Photoshop).

 

I'm not saying Aperture isn't in need of an update, I'm just not sure what that update should be :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps