or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps

iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps - Page 2

post #41 of 68

Back on topic though, has anyone used any of these updates and can comment? I love Pages and was ready to spend $20 for another copy, but then I looked at the screenshots and am not sure I like what I see. Or rather, what I don't see. One of the things about the iWork apps that makes them work so well for me is the integration into the Inspector panel(s) which allow for rapid formatting without the use of multiple dialog boxes (read: Word and PowerPoint are horrible, Pages and Keynote blow them away).

It looked to me as though the interface had been simplified, and not for the better, and I can't see that any real new functionality has been added. Can anyone tell us if these updates are worth it?

Keynote was nearly perfect as-is but needed a little better support for PowerPoint collaboration and it would be nice if it allowed live linking to Numbers documents (PowerPoint sucks, but one of its strengths is the ability to include real-time data by linking Excel spreadsheets which can, in turn, be connected to external data sources giving presentations access to current information).

Numbers has fantastic formatting (its charts blow away Excel's and I love how tables are free objects not tied to a page the way they are in Excel) but was lacking in formulas and in support for data interpretation ala Pivot Tables.

I'd be happy to update these applications as well if any of this sort of functionality has been added!

post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. It will be all Macs purchased from today only.

I was bummed, but it's not true! 

• "Pages is free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID." 

Source: the bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/

post #43 of 68

Yes you can, once you update to Mavericks: http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/

post #44 of 68

It's good for Mac purchases after October 1. I'm in the clear...once I update to Mavericks. 

post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But I didn't have an eligible device! I have iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4S and 5 ... all got all free updates. Not that I am complaining, just wish my Macs were too, but I did just get iMovie 10, it popped up as available. Nothing else yet.

I am assuming you already owned the apps. The updates are free, but if you never purchased them, then the apps themselves are free for eligible devices.

post #46 of 68
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post
One of the things about the iWork apps that makes them work so well for me is the integration into the Inspector panel(s)… It looked to me as though the interface had been simplified, and not for the better, and I cant see that any real new functionality has been added. Can anyone tell us if these updates are worth it?

The Inspector is now inline and automatically changes to the appropriate content depending on what is selected.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #47 of 68
I have the iWork suite (originally iWork '09). First, all the apps seems to work in 10.9 as they did in 10.8.5 but software update doesn't offer me the new versions. I can't figure out what I would gain with the new versions except collaboration (which I would never use) and 64 bit apps (for which I can't see an advantage for something like Pages). Any thoughts?
post #48 of 68
Quote:

They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

Update: I am seeing OS X iMove v10 now in free updates. Hopefully the rest will show up. I suppose only iLife though not iWork ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

I have the iWork suite (originally iWork '09). First, all the apps seems to work in 10.9 as they did in 10.8.5 but software update doesn't offer me the new versions. I can't figure out what I would gain with the new versions except collaboration (which I would never use) and 64 bit apps (for which I can't see an advantage for something like Pages). Any thoughts?

I am in the same boat. Retail iWork no update. iLife updates showed up though. I might call Apple support this week when I have time.

EDIT: The updates finally showed up in Mac App Store.

Edited by NasserAE - 10/22/13 at 9:38pm
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post

like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

No way!  The iOS icons are the coolest ones!  I wish we had a unified theme for the Mac like that!  While there are some icons that still just don't look right (Newsstand, looking at you), for the most part, the new icons have a very smooth and sophisticated look.  I'm looking forward to more!

post #50 of 68
That is FANTASTIC! About time. Can't wait to get my hands on it and test it.
post #51 of 68

I purchased a new iMac on the 7th October and added iWorks to the purchase so I hope I can get a refund or Apple store credit.

FIngers crossed.

But if not...it's not the end of the world.

I know they gave credit to iOS customers who were in the same situation.

post #52 of 68

Oh dear.

In my experience, it's always a worry when installing an update from Apple does not delete the previous version (think Quicktime). At a quick look, neither Pages nor Numbers in their new version appeared in my Dock (talking about the Mac here). So I dug into Applications and launched Numbers - it broke the document I tried. Pages...it broke the document I tried.

This looks to me as though Apple have achieved iOS/OS X compatibility by removing those features in the Mac version that iOS does not support. I do hope it's not that simple but some features seem to have disappeared, certainly I have some repair work to do on some of my files (and I'm not a power user of these apps). The Numbers problem concerns conditional labelling of histograms, the Pages problem is deeper, an 8 page document has had its formatting totally rearranged (there appears now to be no distinction between word-processing and document-layout, perhaps the document has been forced into the 'other' format).

This is a first impression so I hope it gets better  :embarrass 

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #53 of 68

I have only try new Pages and I must say I'm really disappointed.

All actions one click apart before, now needed, 2, 3 or 4 clicks.

They have reduce inspector palettes to one, a BIG ONE, bur only one

No more palette bar

No more customizable tool bar

No style box

No new function

Apple have just stripped palettes for less functionality without no real benefit

Just like the new mac-ashtray no HD, no optical drive, no frontal USB conector, the new Pages is less functionality only for a clearer aspect.

post #54 of 68

No scripting support. 

We are going through the Dark Ages of software.   I struggle to come up with a recent example of a software program that has delighted me. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #55 of 68
Quote:

The Inspector is now inline and automatically changes to the appropriate content depending on what is selected.

This is that Apple says. The reality is that the inspector can't know what you intended to do, and for most actions you need one or two more clicks than 09 version.

As a mater of fact I have returned to old version.

Edited by pepechin - 10/23/13 at 11:53am
post #56 of 68
Originally Posted by pepechin View Post

The reality is that the inspector cant know what you intended to do

Yeah, well, when you click in to edit text, I’m PRETTY sure the Inspector switching to the text editing tools fits what I intended to do.

…for most actions you need one or two more clicks than 09 version.

Name one.

post #57 of 68
Quote:

Name one.

change text back color 1 to 3 clicks

select paragraph style 1 to 2 clicks

copy and paste attributes 1 to ....... IMPOSIBLE function eliminated!!!

(sorry I'm using Spanish version, and I don't know exact english words)

Edited by pepechin - 10/23/13 at 12:53pm
post #58 of 68
Quote:

Yeah, well, when you click in to edit text, I’m PRETTY sure the Inspector switching to the text editing tools fits what I intended to do.

If inspector is in "document" no matter what you do it doesn't changes to "format"

If inspector is in "format", and cursor in text, inspector doesn't changes last option of style/disposition/more menu in format palette.

if you select image is the same: menu doesn't changes between style/image/disposition.

So Pages NEVER know what you intended to do, you must do manually. Always.

In pages 09 you could have as many inspector palettes I need for all immediate options

But is worse than that, there's less functionality. Opposed pages options has disappeared, in fact a legacy pages 09 file with different right and left margins of pair and odd pages is opened without opposed configuration. In fact there's not even option for opposed pages view.

So, name you only one new positive change 

post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepechin View Post

If inspector is in "document" no matter what you do it doesn't changes to "format"

If inspector is in "format", and cursor in text, inspector doesn't changes last option of style/disposition/more menu in format palette.
if you select image is the same: menu doesn't changes between style/image/disposition.

So Pages NEVER know what you intended to do, you must do manually. Always.

In pages 09 you could have as many inspector palettes I need for all immediate options

But is worse than that, there's less functionality. Opposed pages options has disappeared, in fact a legacy pages 09 file with different right and left margins of pair and odd pages is opened without opposed configuration. In fact there's not even option for opposed pages view.

So, name you only one new positive change 

Collaboration seemed a pretty cool and positive change.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #60 of 68
Don't upgrade. This is the worst update I have ever seen from Apple. I have been the biggest apple fan for years but this is terrible.

They have removed so many useful features that I reverted to iWork 09.

For instance

Numbers:
No organize panel. So you can no longer sort a range of cells. You have to sort the whole row or column.

Removed print view. You can no longer edit a document to make things fit on a single page. You can see what it will look like but you have to back out of print view to make changes and hope the changes will work

The sidebar is gone

No more auto complete as you type... Etc etc

That's just a few things within numbers....

I was so angry I didn't bother to try pages for very long.

I'm sorry (free or not) this is a complete step backwards
post #61 of 68
Originally Posted by Budboy View Post
I have been the biggest apple fan for years but this is terrible.

Thanks for letting us know we should ignore you early.

post #62 of 68
Quote:

Thanks for letting us know we should ignore you early.

So, you're going to tell me these new updates are more functional and apple is being innovative. Come on, I love my Mac and iDevices but be honest. This really is a bad update...

Quote:

Don't upgrade. This is the worst update I have ever seen from Apple. I have been the biggest apple fan for years but this is terrible.

They have removed so many useful features that I reverted to iWork 09.

For instance

Numbers:
No organize panel. So you can no longer sort a range of cells. You have to sort the whole row or column.

Removed print view. You can no longer edit a document to make things fit on a single page. You can see what it will look like but you have to back out of print view to make changes and hope the changes will work

The sidebar is gone

No more auto complete as you type... Etc etc

That's just a few things within numbers....

I was so angry I didn't bother to try pages for very long.

I'm sorry (free or not) this is a complete step backwards
post #63 of 68
Quote:

..... This really is a bad update...

This is not even an "update" this is simply a regression

post #64 of 68
Quote:

Collaboration seemed a pretty cool and positive change.

I made technical reports, I don't "agree" facts and results with nobody.

Sure, this could be useful for some, but... is one cool feature compensation for such functionality slaughter?

post #65 of 68

Wow, they really have culled a lot of useful stuff haven't they?  It's pretty clear they've done that so that they can rebuild all the functionality across Mac, iOS and iCloud in parallel with feature parity, but man, sucks to be an iWork user on the Mac right now.

censored

censored

post #66 of 68

Really long list of missing features of Pages 5 is building up there: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468056?start=0&tstart=0

post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Wow, they really have culled a lot of useful stuff haven't they?  It's pretty clear they've done that so that they can rebuild all the functionality across Mac, iOS and iCloud in parallel with feature parity, but man, sucks to be an iWork user on the Mac right now.

They're going to have to be smart about it though.   The aim with productivity software is to allow the end user to be productive.   When creating an Excel spreadsheet you can choose to use scripting knowing that it may make the file unreadable to other versions but that's a decision for the creator.   I hope Apple delivers software that has excellent round tripping across the Browser,  mobile and desktop but also always for some of the unique characteristics of each to be exploited. 

- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #68 of 68

OK.   Had some time to play with the new Pages.  After two patience-trying minutes I was searching to see if the old '09 version was still on my machine.  Thankfully it was. 

I'm not going to waste my time looking at the new Numbers and Keynote.

- - - - -

Apple's forum is quickly filling with complaints about Pages.  36 pages and increasing.

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/26/13 at 5:21pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps