or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

post #1 of 214
Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display will debut in November for $399, while the first-generation iPad mini will live on with a new, lower entry level price of $299.

iPad mini

The new iPad mini packs in just as many pixels -- 3.1 million -- as the Retina display on the full-size iPad Air. That means the iPad mini actually has a higher pixel density on its display than its larger brethren, at 326 pixels per inch.

It's also powered by the same A7 chip as the iPhone 5s and iPad Air. It's up to 4 times faster at CPU tasks than the first-generation iPad mini, and up to 8 times faster at graphics tasks, all while still offering 10 hours of battery life.

Apple has boasted that the 7.9-inch Retina display on the iPad mini offers a 35 percent larger area than screens with 7-inch tablets. It's also the only small tablet to deliver Apple's full iOS ecosystem and App Store.

New iPad mini with Retina display

The new iPad mini can play movies at full 1080p high-definition resolution, and there are now 475,000 applications designed specifically for the iPad.

The new Retina iPad mini features two antennas to support Multiple-In-Multiple-Out (MIMO) technology, bringing twice the Wi-Fi performance at 300Mbps. Cellular models also come with expanded LTE coverage to accommodate even more LTE networks worldwide, while continuing to deliver comprehensive support for other fast cellular technology around the world (DC-HSDPA, HSPA+), all in a single model.

iPad mini with Retina display now has a next-generation FaceTime HD camera with improved backside illumination sensors featuring larger pixels for better low-light performance. The iSight camera with a 5-megapixel sensor and advanced optics, combined with iOS 7 and the image signal processing of A7, further improves still image and video capture on iPad bringing faster auto-focus, up to three times video zoom, five times still zoom, better dynamic range and automatic image and video stabilization.

The new model comes in silver and white, and space grey and black, and is available for $399 for the entry-level 16-gigabyte model. It's set to launch later in November.

The first-generation iPad mini will also live on, with the 16-gigabyte model now available for $299, or $30 less than its previous price.

New custom-designed polyurethane Smart Covers for the iPad mini with Retina display will be available for $39 in a range of colors, including blue, green, pink, yellow, black and (RED). iPad mini Smart Cases have been completely redesigned with aniline-dyed leather available in six colors, including beige, black, blue, brown, yellow and (RED) for a suggested retail price of $69.
post #2 of 214

iPad Mini- EXACTLY what several of us assumed.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  Awesome!

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 214

That's pretty awesome that they could go retina without taking a hit on battery life. 

post #4 of 214

I didn't see any mention of the weight of the retina iPad mini. Did it go up?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #5 of 214
I'm sure Scott will find something negative to say about this... 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 214
A little surprised there is no Touch ID....
post #7 of 214
Be interesting to see the ratio of the retina model to the regular with the $100 premium.
post #8 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Me too.

post #9 of 214
So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point? I feel apple should either retire it & sell the 3 or 4 discounted, OR drop the price.
post #10 of 214
I do wish Apple would support multi-user for the iPad.
post #11 of 214
Oh, and $70 and $80 for the cases is waaaay over the top IMO.
post #12 of 214
Quote:

Yes and no. Two factors: 1. Demand of 5s is so great that they might have trouble making enough sensors for multiple product lines. 2. It is not uncommon for Apple to hold something back for the "tock" year of their tick-tock cycle.

post #13 of 214
Quote:

Probably the increased hassle factor of that touch scanner unit's manufacturing issues (as reported)  just didn't add as much value as for a smaller device like a phone that probably is more at risk to get left behind.

For straighton security there's always the not-simple passcode....

post #14 of 214
I do wish Apple would support multi-user for the iPad.

Buy your own. They want everyone to have one. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Here:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #15 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Probably. If it went down, they would have noted that.
post #16 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Be interesting to see the ratio of the retina model to the regular with the $100 premium.

More interesting to see how the market reacts to the effective price increase of the Mini.

post #17 of 214
Where are all the users that claimed we would not see a Retina Mini this year??
post #18 of 214
IMO - this is too expensive.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #19 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point? I feel apple should either retire it & sell the 3 or 4 discounted, OR drop the price.

There's a lot of two year old toddlers out there that would disagree. It just widens the potential market.

post #20 of 214

Retina Mini is the one for me. And as someone who's been critical of iPhone 5c pricing, I'll say I don't mind paying the extra here - the specs fully deserve it. Retina and A7.

And to top it off iWork file compatibility between iOS and Mac OS versions, now they'll have a seemless iCloud office experience. Terrific Apple Event. 

post #21 of 214
Quote:

Retina model also has the new processor, right. That's a pretty big upgrade for only $100 for those sitting on the fence.
post #22 of 214
Quote:

this.

but my guess is they aren't committed to this button form factor yet.  especially if you're now down to micrometers of space tolerance in the chassis.  

But it pushes back the 'iPad is for business'  marketing... any serious about privacy/security Business requires all mobile devices to authenticate every 15 (or less) minutes with 'strong passwords' (8+ chars).   TouchID would make that painless.

post #23 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Retina Mini is the one for me. And as someone who's been critical of iPhone 5c pricing, I'll say I don't mind paying the extra here - the specs fully deserve it. Retina and A7.

And to top it off iWork file compatibility between iOS and Mac OS versions, now they'll have a seemless iCloud office experience. Terrific Apple Event. 

It's funny that many complained that the original iPad Mini was too expensive at $329. Yet Apple just increased it to $399, with its middle finger firmly upheld.

post #24 of 214
Quote:

Oh, and $70 and $80 for the cases is waaaay over the top IMO.

Then don't get the leather case/cover....get the $39 cover.

post #25 of 214
Quote:

I know its hard to believe that anyone would want an iPad 2 but some laggers do. My mom bought one from QVC on Sunday. Some people don't care about what generation it is or the specs, they just want an iPad. On air QVC said they sold over 7,000 iPad 2s in 24hours.

post #26 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I was hoping they wouldn't have to increase the price. But at least the internals are the same as the full size iPad. I'd rather have a retina mini with A7 at $399 than no retina mini, or retina mini with A6X.
post #27 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Probably the increased hassle factor of that touch scanner unit's manufacturing issues (as reported)  just didn't add as much value as for a smaller device like a phone that probably is more at risk to get left behind.

For straighton security there's always the not-simple passcode....

I'm also assuming that the button geometry will change (thinner)... and that will make a difference in a device that is way too thin as it is for the battery life it needs to drive

post #28 of 214
Quote:

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point?

Schools.

Not to mention people/families on very tight budgets.

post #29 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Then don't get the leather case/cover....get the $39 cover.

Oh, I won't and I don't think many will. Have an Incipio case for my mini that cost far less than even just the cover and is much better as a stand than Apple's three fold cover. I'm just surprised at their jacking the price $30 for the Air case. Seems unwarranted.
post #30 of 214
iPad Mini Retina -- Weight (Wi%u2011Fi):
0.73 pound (331 g)
post #31 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

A7, Retina, iWork, iLife?  $399 is a bargain compared to a $650 iPhone.

I'm so glad they raised it to $399 instead of keeping it at $329 and giving it the A6X/Retina or A7/Non-Retina.  Easily worth the extra $70 for me.  I want the best- not anything crippled.

post #32 of 214

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

post #33 of 214
At $399 Touch ID Touch ID Touch ID
post #34 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

this.

but my guess is they aren't committed to this button form factor yet.  especially if you're now down to micrometers of space tolerance in the chassis.  

If they can squeeze the TouchID button in iPhone5s and iPadAir, they can squeeze it into iPadMini.

post #35 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by reydn View Post

At $399 Touch ID Touch ID Touch ID

Next year

post #36 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I was hoping they wouldn't have to increase the price. But at least the internals are the same as the full size iPad. I'd rather have a retina mini with A7 at $399 than no retina mini, or retina mini with A6X.

DAMN YOU!  Seriously!  Delay your posts for 5 minutes for heaven's sake! :lol:

post #37 of 214

Buying one iPad mini from online as soon as it comes out 8-)

post #38 of 214
Quote:

The iPad 2 is significantly lighter than the iPad 3/4, which is important to a lot of people. And you can buy it for around $200 refurbished from Apple.

post #39 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

This should be interesting to see. But Apple provides compelling value rather than compelling price.

post #40 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

If they can squeeze the TouchID button in iPhone5s and iPadAir, they can squeeze it into iPadMini.

It isn't on the iPad Air

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299