or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299 - Page 4

post #121 of 214

Yea but the PPI on the 9.7 is 264 so you were sort of right and wrong at the same time.  It is the same number of pixels pushed onto a smaller screen size but the 324 PPI is right (for the new retina) or almost anyway (according to aapl website the ppi is 326. )

post #122 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

That doesn't say anything to your point at all. I must have misunderstood you, or the other way around.

no Touch ID on any iPad... that was my original 'latter' point.

post #123 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPad Mini- EXACTLY what several of us assumed.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  Awesome!


Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

Yeah... I was expecting an A7X APU and ac WiFi in the new iPads.

But this is still good!

I will keep my iPad 4 for home use, buy an iPad Mini 128 GB for on the go. and, likely, will buy a New Mac Pro in December.

There are still some other things to drop:
  • FCPX, Motion, Compressor
  • 4K Displays
  • Mac Minis
  • AppleTV

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more announcements before year end.


The big takeaways are:

Apple offers 64-bit across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free OS (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free creative apps (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free productivity apps (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 10/22/13 at 1:12pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #124 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

no Touch ID on any iPad... that was my original 'latter' point.

I misunderstood you as declaring that TouchID could not physically fit into the iPad. My bad.

post #125 of 214

So we've now got 4 iPads.  Two based on 2nd generation technology and two based on 5th generation technology.  Choice is always good.

 

Pricing on the retina mini seems a bit high, but I think Apple is trying to increase the ASP of their tablets, as they were getting hurt as more and more people 'down sized' from 10" tablets.    Will be interesting to see if this pricing works.  I'm guessing the techies will go for the higher end models but many won't care and will buy the two lower end models and it's better to keep them in the Apple world than lose them to Android.  Like others here though, I find the technology in the mini and iPad 2 to be very dated, but Apple is probably right on this and many won't care.

post #126 of 214

We can now predict what iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 might feature:

 

- Processor bump. Maybe RAM bump too.

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

post #127 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

We can now predict what iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 might feature:

 

- Processor bump. Maybe RAM bump too.

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

*fist bump*

:)

post #128 of 214
Does anyone know yet whether the mini has the EXACT same processor a the iPad Air or is it gimped with respect to processor speed/GPU cores.
post #129 of 214
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
Does anyone know yet whether the mini has the EXACT same processor a the iPad Air or is it gimped with respect to processor speed/GPU cores.

 

They couldn’t gimp GPU. Same screen, remember.

post #130 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

We can now predict what iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 might feature:

 

- Processor bump. Maybe RAM bump too.

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

You just named them all.  No surprises really.  :)

The iPhone 6… now that's where the fun will be.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #131 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That's according to you.  It wasn't overpriced to me.  It apparently was not overpriced to Apple- and it was selling in droves- otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

The truth is- your opinion doesn't matter to Apple because they are successful with how they did it.  And if they thought selling it at $279 would create more profit with volume than $329- they would have done that.  I enjoy hearing yours and other's opinions- they don't.  They are brilliant- you and I aren't.  1wink.gif  

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
post #132 of 214
I'm sure Apple wants/wanted to put Touch ID into these new models. You can only roll out new tech so fast though. I'm sure they're using everything they can produce to fulfill 5s orders, and that will continue for awhile. Once that dust settles, I'm willing to guess we'll get a mid-cycle update to the iPads that adds Touch ID.

They did it with cameras on the iPad. There was a shortage of camera components around the time they first launched it (along with a new iPhone which was exacerbating that shortage). But a tear down showed a 'gap' and space for a camera that simply wasn't there. Cameras were added to the iPad with the next iteration%u2026

It has already been demonstrated that the new iPad designs can accommodate the Touch ID home button.

I think it's just a matter of (relatively little) time before all their mobile devices (laptops included) feature Touch ID. Hell, they may even incorporate it into their desktop machines one day. Why not?
post #133 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

You really want that washer/dryer combination don't you?

post #134 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm sure Apple wants/wanted to put Touch ID into these new models. You can only roll out new tech so fast though. I'm sure they're using everything they can produce to fulfill 5s orders, and that will continue for awhile. Once that dust settles, I'm willing to guess we'll get a mid-cycle update to the iPads that adds Touch ID.

They did it with cameras on the iPad. There was a shortage of camera components around the time they first launched it (along with a new iPhone which was exacerbating that shortage). But a tear down showed a 'gap' and space for a camera that simply wasn't there. Cameras were added to the iPad with the next iteration%u2026

It has already been demonstrated that the new iPad designs can accommodate the Touch ID home button.

I think it's just a matter of (relatively little) time before all their mobile devices (laptops included) feature Touch ID. Hell, they may even incorporate it into their desktop machines one day. Why not?

Waiting on it for general brand distribution makes sense to me: it's somewhat nice but not all that breathtaking: it's waiting on applications to take advantage of it and that's out a ways. Were the needs of the vast numbers needed for the 5s to be in any way pinched if they'd incorporated Touch ID across these new devices that would have been a nasty bottleneck all around. The tech on the new retina mini and iPad 5 are compelling in their own right, the security issue is down a notch from my view (and I can enter a good passcode just about as fast...). Getting phones more secure stuck me as the priority: people leave phones behind all the time... starting with prototypes. :)

post #135 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

They couldn’t gimp GPU. Same screen, remember.

 

Duh! I totally forgot about that 1wink.gif

 

Well in that case, I'm finding it hard to imagine going with the larger iPad Air for $100 more. I'm paying more for a nearly 2" of screen size, but lower DPI. Decisions, decisions.


Edited by Mazda 3s - 10/22/13 at 2:37pm
post #136 of 214

Perfect price strategy IMO.

 

$329 for iPadMini Retina would hurt margins and really canibalize iPadAir

$399 is really close to iPadAir price.  I'll getting an iPadAir.

 

For those dummies who say the Nexus 7 is cheaper go to hell:

Android is a crap OS

Google is selling these at $0 profit

Don't forget the iPadMini screen is about 40% bigger because of the narrow aspect ratio of the Nexus

Nexus lagssssssssssss

I hate using wide screen tablets in Portrait mode

Plastic crap build quality.

ipad gives you AMAZING free software

 

I'm sorry but for $170 more I rather get a premium product instead of cheap plastic crap that will die in 2 years.  I guarantee that in two years you will get $100 more selling your used iPadMini over the Nexus7.  So basically you are only paying $50 more.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #137 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

 

Maybe one, some or all of these:

 

- 74% more compelling overall experience? (The ecosystem, high-end performance, included software, iCloud account, etc. there is just no comparison with the train-wreck, windows-like Android experience. And Apple's devices are head and shoulders above anything made for Android quality-wise, including the Nexus. You get what you pay for!)

 

- 74% longer product lifecycle? (I still use my iPad 01 every single day, since a week after it was originally released, almost four years ago. It shows no signs of aging yet: no slowdowns, no diminished battery life, is 100% as functional as the day I bought it. How many Nexus' can you say that about after even one year of use? Go read the forums about that… yeah, no thanks!)

 

- 74% better service and support? (Apple after-sales support is unrivaled in any industry. Try replacing a defective Nexus on the spot with no waiting, 6 months after you bought it. I did that with my first, 1st-gen iPhone that was experiencing lock-up (RAM) issues after 6 months of use. Walked into an Apple Store, walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new replacement, no argument, no hassle.)

 

 

Worth the extra money? I'd have to say yes, for ANY of the reasons above.

post #138 of 214

For those who grumble about expensive memory prices: Go to HELL.

 

The lower 16G units are being subsidized by the 32,64,128G models.  It happens everywhere.  Do you really think that sunroof and leather on your car should cost $4000 more than the base model?  If Apple priced at the same GM for each unit it would look like this:

 

iPad Air

16G - $599

32G - $649

64G - $699

128G - $749

 

Basically the current pricing is allowing more people to afford the 16G model.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #139 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

iPad Mini- EXACTLY what several of us assumed.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  Awesome!

 

 

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

 

LOL. Pretty happy to be wrong about the iPad mini. This is indeed a better update than I could have hoped for, and shows that Apple values the iPad mini as an equal to the iPad Air, by giving it basically the same specs. Quite possible the new mini outsells the air at these close feature sets.

 

This is a strange move as it will cannibalize the iPad Air like no other...but perhaps Apple thinks thats going to happen anyway, so might as well do it right.

post #140 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

Maybe one, some or all of these:

 

- 74% more compelling overall experience? (The ecosystem, high-end performance, included software, iCloud account, etc. there is just no comparison with the train-wreck, windows-like Android experience. And Apple's devices are head and shoulders above anything made for Android quality-wise, including the Nexus. You get what you pay for!)

 

- 74% longer product lifecycle? (I still use my iPad 01 every single day, since a week after it was originally released, almost four years ago. It shows no signs of aging yet: no slowdowns, no diminished battery life, is 100% as functional as the day I bought it. How many Nexus' can you say that about after even one year of use? Go read the forums about that… yeah, no thanks!)

 

- 74% better service and support? (Apple after-sales support is unrivaled in any industry. Try replacing a defective Nexus on the spot with no waiting, 6 months after you bought it. I did that with my first, 1st-gen iPhone that was experiencing lock-up (RAM) issues after 6 months of use. Walked into an Apple Store, walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new replacement, no argument, no hassle.)

 

 

Worth the extra money? I'd have to say yes, for ANY of the reasons above.

 

Throw in the fact that you can sell your used iPad for $100-$150 more in 2 years.  Just look at the prices offered by Gazelle.   Gazelle will only give you $30 for a 1 year old Nexus7. LOL!!!!

 

So really you are only paying $50 more in the long run.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #141 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

 

OK, and your point? 

 

 

So, does that include your opinions too? You're saying that your opinions reek like a stinking asshole? Great… very nice.

 

How about this. How about NOT spreading your "stinking opinions" around here? That would be nicer for the rest of us, clearly. 

 

Some of us actually don't work at creating a stench everywhere we go. Get that?

 

 

Stupid is as stupid does.  - Momma Gump

post #142 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

 

Andysol is right, though, man. For you and I it would be great to be able to buy it cheaper, but Apple has had great success with the product and, to date, they have been very accurate with iPad pricing. I don't think Apple wants to sell it cheaper if they know they can sell it at a higher price point... even a "much" higher price point.

 

If the Nexus line is able to deliver the same experience, same quality and the same ecosystem as Apple then maybe Apple has a problem. At present it doesn't look like Google even comes close... well, at least in my opinion.

 

If you are really worried about Apple's share price then all I can say is... don't worry. Apple has a great product mix and if they blow the pricing on one product then they can adjust without much, if any, damage.

 

... and that is... just my opinion.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #143 of 214
The new mini is close to full at its specs now, at $100 it makes since now, just strange the mini had went from A5 to A7 with the A5X, A6, A6X in between.
post #144 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

 

Irrelevant. It's a compelling device.

post #145 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Exactly, same here. I've wanted a mini with retina for a year now. But for $100 more I can get the Air. And it's lighter and thinner so portability becomes less of a factor.

Apple is crafty, methinks the $399 price tag is simply to up sell people. It may work on me...

Why should the iPad mini with retina display cost less than the iPad Air with the same amount of storage, A7/M7 chip, same display resolution and battery life? What can't the mini do that justifies a reduction in price?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #146 of 214
Up till today, I never would have considered an iPad mini, but now: Same processor, same number of pixels onscreen, save 4 oz. of weight and $100 in cash, and in return all I have to do is hold it 81% as far away? That's definitely doable.
post #147 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Andysol is right, though, man.

Now you're learning...
Ps- love the outfit you wore today. 1wink.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #148 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Now you're learning...
Ps- love the outfit you wore today. 1wink.gif

 

... but I still believe that Apple is short on its expected 5c numbers.

 

You see, when I think people are right... I'll say so. When I think they are wrong... then I'll say so.

 

PS - take the curlers out of your hair for our next date.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #149 of 214
My take away from today's announcements are that they've essentially converged the larger and smaller models, design, hardware and spec-wise.

As far as I can tell, the iPad Air and new iPad Mini have identical features and hardware, with the only differences being screen size and price.

Both have the A7 and M7 processors, the same cameras, dual microphones, the same storage options (16GB ~ 128GB), both have the same form factor and color options. I've scoured the tech specs and can't find any differences other than those two mentioned above.

So the same exact device hardware-wise, at different sizes? Pretty cool!

It's going to be hard deciding which to buy. Guess I'll have to wait until later in November, so I can compare them side by side. Assuming, that is, that the iPad Air doesn't sell itself on sight come November 1st! 1biggrin.gif
post #150 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

 

LOL. Pretty happy to be wrong about the iPad mini. This is indeed a better update than I could have hoped for, and shows that Apple values the iPad mini as an equal to the iPad Air, by giving it basically the same specs. Quite possible the new mini outsells the air at these close feature sets.

 

This is a strange move as it will cannibalize the iPad Air like no other...but perhaps Apple thinks thats going to happen anyway, so might as well do it right.

 

It is better to cannibalize your own products that someone else cannibalizing them for you. I like what Apple did here. If you look at their Macs and iOS devices you will see that now there is a price point for everyone.

post #151 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

OK, and your point? 

 

 

So, does that include your opinions too? You're saying that your opinions reek like a stinking asshole? Great… very nice.

 

How about this. How about NOT spreading your "stinking opinions" around here? That would be nicer for the rest of us, clearly. 

 

Some of us actually don't work at creating a stench everywhere we go. Get that?

 

 

Stupid is as stupid does.  - Momma Gump

 

It's a common phrase.  I wasn't calling anyone an asshole or insulting them.  It also applies to my opinions as they are opinions.

post #152 of 214
Touch ID is a big miss with both iPads having A7 chipset and they are pushing productivity free suit, security is big. A7 instead of A7X means it won't be much faster than the A7 in the iPhine 5S which is a disappointment. Keeping the storage at 16/32/64 instead of 32/64/128 is a disappointment, paying 100$ for double the storage should give you more. iPad 2 instead of the 4 at 399$ is also a dissapointmet, it's 30 pin and performance is way behind with the A5(same for iPad mini 1). 5m camera is a dissapointmet it's 3 years old now.

iPad 5 weight just 1 pound and being smaller is amazing and iPad Mini 2 having the same hardware makes it now a decision on size not performance. iCloud web/pc/phone/tablet collaboration is great for business. 299$ iPad mini will be big on schools with the iWork free suit. IWork free on the PC side is great for college kids and business. Free Maverics is amazing even for leopard PC's.

Again they did enough but not everything you will want on the iPad side.
Edited by ShAdOwXPR - 10/22/13 at 5:56pm
post #153 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

 

It's a common phrase.  I wasn't calling anyone an asshole or insulting them.  It also applies to my opinions as they are opinions.

 

Unless your opinions conform to the norm around here... well... you know...

 

I had one guy insult the shit (keeping with the theme) out of me and I'd never even had an exchange with him.

 

It takes all types.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #154 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

Maybe you prefer the wider screen. Maybe you have already invested in the Apple ecosystem or otherwise prefer iOS.

post #155 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Touch ID is a big miss with both iPads having A7 chipset and they are pushing productivity free suit, security is big. A7 instead of A7X means it won't be much faster than the A7 in the iPhine 5S which is a disappointment. Keeping the storage at 16/32/64 instead of 32/64/128 is a disappointment, paying 100$ for double the storage should give you more. iPad 2 instead of the 4 at 399$ is also a dissapointmet, it's 30 pin and performance is way behind with the A5(same for iPad mini 1). 5m camera is a dissapointmet it's 3 years old now.

 

They can't make enough TouchID's for both the 5S and all the iPads.  Also the iPhone usually gets the new features first since its also the most expensive product.  Also Apple wants to see how the TouchID works for the 5S before they expand it to all iOS devices.

 

The storage disappointments are a fact of life.  I'll say it again.  If Apple wanted each model (16/32/64/128) to have the EXACT same gross margin prices would look like this:

 

iPad Air

16G - $549

32G - $599

64G - $649

128G - $699

 

Bottom line is the 16GB is being sold at a discount.  The larger storage options are subsidizing the 16GB model.  Its not that the 128GB is a ripoff, its the 16GB model is a deal.  Also take into consideration economies of scale.  I'm sure the low storage models sell the most so they can afford to have lower margins.

 

Don't even waste time on the iPad2.  Its the bottom of the barrel product like the iPhone 4.  It is what it is.  Selling the iPad3 for $399 would hurt margins big time.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #156 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy your own. They want everyone to have one. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Another typical Tallest Skil b*tch answer. Why add "it's not that difficult to understand"? Why are you being such an ***?
The poster may perfectly understand WHY but would really love to see multiuser. That's it. Can you assume good intentions for once and keep a constructive dialog going on?
post #157 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Yes and no. Two factors: 1. Demand of 5s is so great that they might have trouble making enough sensors for multiple product lines. 2. It is not uncommon for Apple to hold something back for the "tock" year of their tick-tock cycle.
Touch ID is the Siri of this cycle
post #158 of 214

I wouldn't worry too much about the iPad's price, the entry level is now the iPad mini, and that covers the price points.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #159 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

They can't make enough TouchID's for both the 5S and all the iPads.  Also the iPhone usually gets the new features first since its also the most expensive product.  Also Apple wants to see how the TouchID works for the 5S before they expand it to all iOS devices.

 

The storage disappointments are a fact of life.  I'll say it again.  If Apple wanted each model (16/32/64/128) to have the EXACT same gross margin prices would look like this:

 

iPad Air

16G - $549

32G - $599

64G - $649

128G - $699

 

Bottom line is the 16GB is being sold at a discount.  The larger storage options are subsidizing the 16GB model.  Its not that the 128GB is a ripoff, its the 16GB model is a deal.  Also take into consideration economies of scale.  I'm sure the low storage models sell the most so they can afford to have lower margins.

 

Don't even waste time on the iPad2.  Its the bottom of the barrel product like the iPhone 4.  It is what it is.  Selling the iPad3 for $399 would hurt margins big time.

 

What a strange little man you are. I doubt you even own stock, and are obsessed with margins ( unlike us stock or options holders who only care about EPS, or stock price growth - which can happen if the stock anticipates future growth regardless of EPS). 

 

but there you are, probably writing from a tent or a hole in the ground, arguing the most important thing to you is Apple charges more and keeps it's margins. I have no idea why you care. Customers should be supporting lower prices, made up for with higher sales. Stock holders just want a good EPS, or dividends. As an options holder I want stock growth, which is more likely with market anticipation of higher sales than maintaining margins. 

 

The arguments are hysterical because the stakes are non-existent.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #160 of 214
"It's also the only small tablet to deliver Apple's full iOS ecosystem and App Store."

U don't say. I believe that Lamborghini's Aventadors are also the only top of the line super cars to sport the Lamborghini Bull.
Unbelievable. How come Ferrari doesn't succeed in imitating such a differentiating feature.

Come on, AI. Please.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299