or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299 - Page 6

post #201 of 214

Just buy your own iPad.  Jesus, its only $299.

And if you want multiple people to use it just don't have a password or have a simple one.  Dont be a cheapskate.

post #202 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That picture just proved my last point: the user interface for that feature has leaked out into the general experience, and thus, there is another paradigm to be learned before one can use the device.  It's amazing how technology people think that learning these things is just "innate".  They can't even see outside of their own experience.

Well yeah, if that feature is enabled then it needs an interface. If there is only one user, those icons aren't there. Is your underlying point that the process of tapping on the icon labeled with your name would be unintuitive to the average tablet user?

post #203 of 214
Quote:

Please connect the logical dots on that argument for me.  I wasn't the one who said any of this was 'simple', and have only argued against your assertions otherwise.

Anyone who believes that my ego would be shrunk when faced by design professionals must believe that they are, by default, correct and that I am wrong.

Sounds like a fairly large ego to me.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #204 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Well yeah, if that feature is enabled then it needs an interface. If there is only one user, those icons aren't there. Is your underlying point that the process of tapping on the icon labeled with your name would be unintuitive to the average tablet user?

yes it would.  And cause all types of other problems.

Dad wheres the Plants vs Zoombies game?

Son you need to login as me.

Mom why is there a picture of a strange lady on the screen

Dad who is this person calling.

This is stupid.  Its just as stupid as having a phone with multiple logins.  WE don't know how much of a hit on performance such a move would also cause.

post #205 of 214
Quote:

Well yeah, if that feature is enabled then it needs an interface. If there is only one user, those icons aren't there.

And when they go to use another iPad which has been set up with an account for them?  There is value in a consistent user experience across all devices.  The very concept of which is lost on Android users who can't understand why Apple doesn't let you customize every little detail of the user interface/reskin iOS.

Is your underlying point that the process of tapping on the icon labeled with your name would be unintuitive to the average tablet user?

If only it was that simple…

sog35 came up with a few more examples to add to my own.  Shall we go on all day thinking about the endless scenarios which could arise?

post #206 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So... in conclusion... you are saying that Apple dos not have the ability to make this a simple procedure for people?

If I was designing the software I'd make it so that the default phone was absolutely no different than the phone you are using now.

If someone wanted multi-user then it would be up to them to set the controls in whatever way they wished. It would be up to the users to decide how they want to operate the device.

Apple doesn't have to advertise the function, just like the myriad of functions that most people never ever use on their phone.

Anyway... it doesn't look like Apple is going to add multiuser but to say that it would make the phone too complex is just silly imo.

With ram getting cheaper I suppose the Touch ID could open individualized  spaces, possibly  a better fit for tablets than phones with their cellular accounts...

post #207 of 214
I don't know why Apple website does not accept pre-orders! Seems like the right move since everyone now is hyped to buy, buy, buy! At least I willing to buy the iPad Mini Retina with all the memory and LTE!

But in a few weeks; I may not be in the mood to shell out $829 without taxes, cover, film protection, lightning, new clock radio, etc....
post #208 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

I don't know why Apple website does not accept pre-orders! Seems like the right move since everyone now is hyped to buy, buy, buy! At least I willing to buy the iPad Mini Retina with all the memory and LTE!

But in a few weeks; I may not be in the mood to shell out $829 without taxes, cover, film protection, lightning, new clock radio, etc....

Marketing.  The press and people get swayed when they see huge lines.  It builds hype and buzz

post #209 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Dad wheres the Plants vs Zoombies game?

Son you need to login as me.

Wait, isn't one of the main reasons for having a dedicated profile for each person so that parents can restrict the apps their children can access? How would this situation be different if the kid had his or her own iPad?

Quote:

Mom why is there a picture of a strange lady on the screen

Dad who is this person calling.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "strange lady", but I assume the second example refers to Facetime calls.  Honest question -- how does OS X handle those incoming calls when there are multiple users on the system?

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 10/23/13 at 7:33pm
post #210 of 214
Quote:

And when they go to use another iPad which has been set up with an account for them?  There is value in a consistent user experience across all devices.  The very concept of which is lost on Android users who can't understand why Apple doesn't let you customize every little detail of the user interface/reskin iOS.

The experience would be similar to that of using two phones, one with a lockscreen pin per company security policy and the other without; or that of using both a home computer with auto-login and a company computer that asks for login credentials; or that of joining two different wireless networks, the public network at a coffee shop and the secured company network.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 10/24/13 at 5:25am
post #211 of 214
Quote:

Wait, isn't one of the main reasons for having a dedicated profile for each person so that parents can restrict the apps their children can access? How would this situation be different if the kid had his or her own iPad?

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "strange lady", but I assume the second example refers to Facetime calls.  Honest question -- how does OS X handle those incoming calls when there are multiple users on the system?

Let me just put it this way:  The disadvantages of a multi-user setup far outweight its benefits.  Thats why Apple is not doing it. 

My example of the zoobies game is if a kid plays the game while his father is login.  You would need to give rights for every single game or app you buy and select which user has what rights?  What a pain in the ass and a TON of work.  To me a tablet is just a larger phone.  Its meant to be a PERSONAL DEVICE not a community device.  Making it a community device will make it more cluttered and difficult to use.

Did you not see the latest commerical for iPadAir?  Its all about simplicity.  While all the other tablet makes tout all their features and advanced tech the iPad focuses on ease of use.  iPad just works. PERIOD.  I want Apple to keep it that way.

post #212 of 214
Quote:

My example of the zoobies game is if a kid plays the game while his father is login.  You would need to give rights for every single game or app you buy and select which user has what rights? 

They obviously can't use the tablet at the same time. What difference does it make whether his father is logged in? If the kid had his own tablet then you would also have to decide which apps to install on the kid's machine. How is that scenario any simpler? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

To me a tablet is just a larger phone.  Its meant to be a PERSONAL DEVICE not a community device.  Making it a community device will make it more cluttered and difficult to use.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. If you regard your tablet as essentially a larger phone, then of course you would have no use for multi-user capability. My original premise was that a tablet is more of a multi-purpose computer than a personal phone. As recent sales figures suggest, the use cases of tablets overlap more with those of laptops and desktops than those of smartphones.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 10/24/13 at 7:46am
post #213 of 214
Quote:

Let me just put it this way:  The disadvantages of a multi-user setup far outweight its benefits.  Thats why Apple is not doing it. 

My example of the zoobies game is if a kid plays the game while his father is login.  You would need to give rights for every single game or app you buy and select which user has what rights?  What a pain in the ass and a TON of work.  To me a tablet is just a larger phone.  Its meant to be a PERSONAL DEVICE not a community device.  Making it a community device will make it more cluttered and difficult to use.

Did you not see the latest commerical for iPadAir?  Its all about simplicity.  While all the other tablet makes tout all their features and advanced tech the iPad focuses on ease of use.  iPad just works. PERIOD.  I want Apple to keep it that way.

IMO There's zero downside for a tablet owner to have the option of multiple/limited user accounts. None whatsoever. You don't have to set it up for multiple users and if you don't then nothing at all changes. No disadvantage for the tablet owner. When Android tablets are set up for multiple users they are not more cluttered either. The only thing that logged in user sees and has access to are his own apps. The limited owners can't even alter device settings making it less likely to be borked. No reason for Apple tablets to necessarily behave any differently if multiple user profiles are permitted is there?

The only disadvantage I can think of would be on the tablet manufacturers side with potentially fewer tablet sales. I think that would be the more likely reason Apple isn't doing it, not that there's overwhelming disadvantages for the tablet owner.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/25/13 at 3:17am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #214 of 214
Quote:

Marketing.  The press and people get swayed when they see huge lines.  It builds hype and buzz

Yeah!  I forgot about the lines and the hype.  Since they decided to delay the release date of the Mini 2; that will create a repeat of November 1st!

But it also gives me a chance to look at the iPad Air and see if I want to buy it instead of the Mini since it only weighs 1/4 pound more and is full size.  Just not sure not want to buy!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299