or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299 - Page 2

post #41 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point? I feel apple should either retire it & sell the 3 or 4 discounted, OR drop the price.

The only reason I can think of is:   A major corp(carrier?)/gov't procurement contract requiring the exact same device dimensions and connections (30-pin) be available for retail for 3-4 years and supported by the OS/security upgrades and  parts for 5-7 years.

It's why I think the 3GS and 4S have survived as long as they have.   

the 3 is dead.  it would only be the 4, with the new lightning 

If it's 3 years.. my guess there will be a iPad Air 'C' release next spring (prior to the 4, the ipads were a spring product line).

post #42 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

There's a lot of two year old toddlers out there that would disagree. It just widens the potential market.

My son just uses my old 1st gen (though he's started to take notice of how my screen looks better).  At the iPad's price point and the average 2 year upgrade cycle for most people, multi-user isn't necessary.

post #43 of 214
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Schools.

Hmm. Okay, I buy this. I don’t like it, but it makes sense.

Not to mention people/families on very tight budgets. 

Those people are buying $79 tablets running Android 1.6 from Big Lots.

post #44 of 214
Wow. Up to 128GB Mini available too. Not cheap tho at $700.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

Reliability and Ecosystem is important than your 74% because price under certain levels makes no sense for example you buy $1 Chocolate and I buy $2.5 which is > 100% price increase so for many, such poor people's calculation does not work :lol: 

Apple is all about quality!

Poor people make poor decisions all there life!!!  (which includes poor choices as well Example- spamdroids)

post #46 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Be interesting to see the ratio of the retina model to the regular with the $100 premium.

Retina model also has the new processor, right. That's a pretty big upgrade for only $100 for those sitting on the fence.

the price is right. It's just that the non-retina iPad mini is too expensive...it should worth no more than $249. Also the same for iPad 2...who the f would spend $399 for a fking non-retina, 3-generation away iPad? Apple is over their head by discontinuing iPad 4 and retain iPad 2.

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #47 of 214

The entire event was awesome, pretty happy about everything EXCEPT the decision to continue selling 3 generations old iPad for $399. That's just wrong. They should have either dropped it completely, or at least updated it to use A6 chips or something. It's ancient today, and is basically a pixelized mess, A5, and outdated internals at the same price of the new iPad mini which is massively superior in every way, including 4X the pixels and a CPU/GPU thats 2 generations newer. The iPad 2 is gonna struggle with new software, especially considering most of it is being optimized for 64bit and the A7. 

post #48 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Oh, and $70 and $80 for the cases is waaaay over the top IMO.

Then don't get one?

post #49 of 214
I was kind of hoping to see a plastic iPad mini (like iPhone 5c). Oh well, maybe we'll see it next year 1smile.gif
post #50 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

A7, Retina, iWork, iLife?  $399 is a bargain compared to a $650 iPhone.

I'm so glad they raised it to $399 instead of keeping it at $329 and giving it the A6X/Retina or A7/Non-Retina.  Easily worth the extra $70 for me.  I want the best- not anything crippled.

It would have been nice if they had included another $5 worth of RAM and dropped the 16 GB base model entirely.
post #51 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

the price is right. It's just that the non-retina iPad mini is too expensive...it should worth no more than $249. Also the same for iPad 2...who the f would spend $399 for a fking non-retina, 3-generation away iPad? Apple is over their head by discontinuing iPad 4 and retain iPad 2.

Would you buy the non-retina iPad mini for $249, or the Retina A7 for $399?  How about the iPad?  Would you buy the iPad 2 for $349 or the iPad Air for $499?

We aint their target market.  ;)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #52 of 214
I'm not complaining but at 399 and the smaller form factor and weight, I will probably opt for the iPad Air.
post #53 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:

A7, Retina, iWork, iLife?  $399 is a bargain compared to a $650 iPhone.

I'm so glad they raised it to $399 instead of keeping it at $329 and giving it the A6X/Retina or A7/Non-Retina.  Easily worth the extra $70 for me.  I want the best- not anything crippled.

It would have been nice if they had included another $5 worth of RAM and dropped the 16 GB base model entirely.

Do you know how much Ram is in it?  The previous was 512mb, so this will likely be 1gb- like the iPhone.  Maybe the Full size will have 2gb?  But we don't know yet unless you saw something I didn't.

Yes- it would have been nice for the 16gb base model to be dropped.  But until it happens on the iPhone- it isn't gonna happen on the iPad.

post #54 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Reliability and Ecosystem is important than your 74% because price under certain levels makes no sense for example you buy $1 Chocolate and I buy $2.5 which is > 100% price increase so for many, such poor people's calculation does not work :lol: 

Apple is all about quality!

Poor people make poor decisions all there life!!!  (which includes poor choices as well Example- spamdroids)

Your post is barely coherent, but let me try to respond.  Apple's ecosystem is valuable.  It allows Apple to charge a premium for its devices.  My point is that the premium they are charging relative to the competition is too much.  I think the original price of the mini was a sufficient premium for the Retina mini.  That price is a 44% premium over the Nexus 7.  That sounds like a much more "reasonable" premium for Apple to charge.

post #55 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You have a better feel for how to price Apple's products than Apple does? Over their head .... lol.

How many times now have pundits criticized their pricing? Yet the same folks would criticize their margins when quarterly reports come out. 

post #56 of 214

1. You’re not talking about RAM.

2. It’s not $5 more.

3. That’s not how things work.

4. I’d like them to drop the 16GB, too.

post #57 of 214

Looks like the Samsung shills aren't getting paid much today.  The only material they have is price.

post #58 of 214
Quote:

Your post is barely coherent, but let me try to respond.  Apple's ecosystem is valuable.  It allows Apple to charge a premium for its devices.  My point is that the premium they are charging relative to the competition is too much.  I think the original price of the mini was a sufficient premium for the Retina mini.  That price is a 44% premium over the Nexus 7.  That sounds like a much more "reasonable" premium for Apple to charge.

I will make it simple for you. Don't buy iPad mini! Go buy Nexus :lol: 

For me its the matter of Retina display, same specs as iPad Air and good size screen! 

post #59 of 214
Quote:

I think the original price of the mini was a sufficient premium for the Retina mini.

It was sufficient for an A6X Retina- not an A7 Retina.  Show me the android tablet with a 64 bit OS and 64 bit Processor.

post #60 of 214
Quote:

It was sufficient for an A6X Retina- not an A7 Retina.  Show me the android tablet with a 64 bit OS and 64 bit Processor.

The A7 doesn't cost that much more to produce than the A6X.  64 bit is wonderful, but is irrelevant with regards to pricing.

post #61 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

If they can squeeze the TouchID button in iPhone5s and iPadAir, they can squeeze it into iPadMini.

as noted, the latter is not true and the former is a different beast altogether from a power consumption perspective.  I'm talking about cubic millimeters of battery space, and assuming that it doesn't take too many of those to be noticed missing.... with  that, and if the corresponding use of the touchID interface pushed the battery life negative (it's gotta be more than just a home button press... lots of power to scan the finger) to the current ipad, it was likely a really hard sell to put it in place and say.... "we just lost 30 minutes putting TouchID in, and 5 minutes of video playback time loss for every authentication...." (All number fabricated to protect the ignorant;-);-))

post #62 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Schools.

Not to mention people/families on very tight budgets.

you can buy an iPad mini with Retina for the same price as an iPad2....

post #63 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I will make it simple for you. Don't buy iPad mini! Go buy Nexus :lol:

If I were in the market for a small tablet today, I would!  And it worries me that too many other people will make the same decision.

post #64 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The entire event was awesome, pretty happy about everything EXCEPT the decision to continue selling 3 generations old iPad for $399. That's just wrong. They should have either dropped it completely, or at least updated it to use A6 chips or something. It's ancient today, and is basically a pixelized mess, A5, and outdated internals at the same price of the new iPad mini which is massively superior in every way, including 4X the pixels and a CPU/GPU thats 2 generations newer. The iPad 2 is gonna struggle with new software, especially considering most of it is being optimized for 64bit and the A7. 

Not sure why we, as more tech savvy end users, would be considered with this. If selling older devices can help sustain Apple as a business and provide buyers who don't need the latest hardware with cheaper devices, then profit from those sales can be funneled into better R&D and hardware supply.

post #65 of 214

Does anyone know the PPI of the screen of the iPad mini with retina display?

post #66 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Does anyone know the PPI of the screen of the iPad mini with retina display?

324 ppi

post #67 of 214
Quote:

If I were in the market for a small tablet today, I would!  And it worries me that too many other people will make the same decision.

Why does it worry you? Why not just get what you want and need, and be happy with that?

post #68 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. You’re not talking about RAM.

2. It’s not $5 more.

3. That’s not how things work.

4. I’d like them to drop the 16GB, too.

Agreed, I wasn't talking about RAM but yes $5 is about right. Joe Blow can buy it for $1/Gb, I'm sure Apple can get if for a lot less.

It's the memory pricing that makes me walk away empty handed from the Apple store.
post #69 of 214

Regarding weight...

iPad Air: 1 lb

iPad 2:   1.33

iPad 3/4: 1.5 (?)

New iPad mini: .73 lb

iPad mini: .68 lb

So the mini has gotten heavier (presumably due to more battery needed. Its gotten .01" thicker as well.

The iPad Air is nearly a half pound lighter, and considerably smaller.

I had been pretty sure I'd go for the Retina mini (mostly because my left arm is starting to suffer pretty serious pain from holding it) but I'm beginning to think I may go for the Air.

post #70 of 214
Quote:

The A7 doesn't cost that much more to produce than the A6X.  64 bit is wonderful, but is irrelevant with regards to pricing.

Except it is relevant with regards to pricing.  A 5mp vs 8mp camera doesnt cost that much more.  Touch ID isn't outrageous.  Wireless AC isn't much more than N.  etc. etc.

You've been around Apple long enough to know they don't cram everything new into their non-premium products (i.e.- not the iPhone).  At $329- it can't have everything the Full-sized iPad has at $499.

Look- this is a 2-year processor jump and retina for only $70.  That's a bargain.  You have to take it all into account- where it was, and where it is.

post #71 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point? I feel apple should either retire it & sell the 3 or 4 discounted, OR drop the price.
I have users who need the screen size, but not the horsepower or Retina since my app is used on a stage for musicians. Saves them $100 to get started.
post #72 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

as noted, the latter is not true and the former is a different beast altogether from a power consumption perspective.  I'm talking about cubic millimeters of battery space, and assuming that it doesn't take too many of those to be noticed missing.... with  that, and if the corresponding use of the touchID interface pushed the battery life negative (it's gotta be more than just a home button press... lots of power to scan the finger) to the current ipad, it was likely a really hard sell to put it in place and say.... "we just lost 30 minutes putting TouchID in, and 5 minutes of video playback time loss for every authentication...." (All number fabricated to protect the ignorant;-);-))

How do you know the latter is not true? You're making a lot of assumptions.

post #73 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'm not complaining but at 399 and the smaller form factor and weight, I will probably opt for the iPad Air.

my guess is that the 

.99 4s

99 5c 

199 5c /5s

299 Mini /5s 32Gb

399 iPad 2/Mini Retina

499 16gb iPadAir

599 32gb iPadAir 

699  64gb iPadAir

hit's all the price points apple sees as 'attractive' (in their multi-equation problem... maximize profit, minimize product defects, maximize sales, customer satisfaction, and potential customer desire [It's worth it, I just can't afford it yet ])

I am surprise they haven't compressed a bit at the low end.   Me thinks that the next tick of the tock clock will have these prices adjust as the Mini Retina display (that's a lot of PPI) ramps production.... with a 

249 349 old/new retina mini

399 499 ipad old/iPad new

That seems to be a better long term fit... but my guess is the iPad mini retina is an expensive [at apple's margins] beast to make  (remember it's not subsidized like the iPhone, but has a display nearly as dense, and 4x larger... which is a huge amount of 'perfect glass' you need to construct ), relative to it's size.

post #74 of 214
Agreed, I wasn't talking about RAM but yes $5 is about right. Joe Blow can buy it for $1/Gb, I'm sure Apple can get if for a lot less.

It's the memory pricing that makes me walk away empty handed from the Apple store.

Wait, no… it’s not… You don’t seem to understand. John Q. Public can’t buy NAND storage like this.

post #75 of 214
Quote:

324 ppi
No, it would be much higher. Same number of pixels as the 9.7" version crammed into 7.9"
post #76 of 214

Guys I think most people must be aware that iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display has exactly the same specs except screen size, dimensions, weight and PRICE POINTS.

Which one to get? That is the question.  $100 cheaper for iPad mini with Retina Display and lastest spec as well.

BTW, with the naming of iPad Air, according to one of the posts I have no doubt that there will be an iPad Pro coming next year.  I will not wait for that because I am using the original iPad and I want to align my Apple devices to the same years (not possible on the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display mid 2012 because I bought it last year and it still work like a charm - might replace it after 5 years i.e. year when iPhone 7s comes out) but I've already got an iPhone 5s to replace my iPhone 4S.  I really want to know what you guys think of this.

post #77 of 214
Quote:

Except it is relevant with regards to pricing.  A 5mp vs 8mp camera doesnt cost that much more.  Touch ID isn't outrageous.  Wireless AC isn't much more than N.  etc. etc.

You've been around Apple long enough to know they don't cram everything new into their non-premium products (i.e.- not the iPhone).  At $329- it can't have everything the Full-sized iPad has at $499.

Look- this is a 2-year processor jump and retina for only $70.  That's a bargain.  You have to take it all into account- where it was, and where it is.

True. Except that this is the first time ever Apple has raised the price of an iProduct. Every year before this, they have kept pricing the same (of course, there was a price drop in the first year) regardless of what new features they added.

post #78 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Guys I think most people must be aware that iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display has exactly the same specs except screen size, dimensions, weight and PRICE POINTS.

Which one to get? That is the question.  $100 cheaper for iPad mini with Retina Display and lastest spec as well.

BTW, with the naming of iPad Air, according to one of the posts I have no doubt that there will be an iPad Pro coming next year. 

You have no doubt .... and no proof. :)

post #79 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy your own. They want everyone to have one. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Here:

Multiuser is a valid feature request, no need to be snarky.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #80 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

No, it would be much higher. Same number of pixels as the 9.7" version crammed into 7.9"

But iPad (at 9.7") is not at 324 ppi.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299