or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299 - Page 3

post #81 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How do you know the latter is not true? You're making a lot of assumptions.

http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare

post #82 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Multiuser is a valid feature request, no need to be snarky.

Tallest Skil is an anagram for Snarky. :)

post #83 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, no… it’s not… You don’t seem to understand. John Q. Public can’t buy NAND storage like this.

Actually with very little effor they can,, so you are the one that doesn't understand. But then that doesn't surprise me.
post #84 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare

That doesn't say anything to your point at all. I must have misunderstood you, or the other way around.

post #85 of 214
Quote:
2. It is not uncommon for Apple to hold something back for the "tock" year of their tick-tock cycle.

This'll be a first for me, but I think I am going to wait for the tock.

post #86 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

A little surprised there is no Touch ID....

For next year- Marketing 101. Don't give everything all at once. Hold something back.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #87 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO - this is too expensive.

Here's a link to perfectly priced tablets for you.  I found them intermixed between hospital supplies and t-shirts.  Since quality is not something you seem to care about.

http://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-list/tablet/en/1/

post #88 of 214
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
No, it would be much higher. Same number of pixels as the 9.7" version crammed into 7.9"

Nope, that’s the math.

Multiuser is a valid feature request

And my response was a valid dismissal of it. If you’ve proof that Apple has any interest in giving multiple user access to a single iOS device, feel free to present it. 

They don’t want you to do that. Buy separate devices.

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
Actually with very little effort they can

Do you have a link to where I can buy said NAND myself? Thanks.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #89 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

It really wouldn't be, I guess, for people like you. Not a big deal.

post #90 of 214
IPAD Air, now just 478 grams* vs. new IPAD mini at 341 grams, it's just a difference of 137 grams. After shedding about 184 grams from IPAD4, I have a feeling many people will find it hard to decide between the Air and Mini, especially gamers and people who like bigger screen (like me).

*IPAD4 = 662 grams
post #91 of 214
post #92 of 214
Quote:

True. Except that this is the first time ever Apple has raised the price of an iProduct. Every year before this, they have kept pricing the same (of course, there was a price drop in the first year) regardless of what new features they added.

The original iProduct:   Apple raised the price of the iMac G4  over the original iMac.

post #93 of 214

Yes, it did.  Original ipad Mini from last year 308 grams.  ipad Mini Retina display 331 grams.  Just like the transition between 10 inch iPad 2nd generation and 3rd generation when Retina was introduced  there.  It took two more generations before they were able to drop the weight back down to pre-Retina weights with the full size one.  Still at easily less than a pound you start to split hairs if we weren't already doing that.  

post #94 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because of TouchID? I am thinking about it, too. 

post #95 of 214
What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.
post #96 of 214
Quote:

Quote:

Wait, no… it’s not… You don’t seem to understand. John Q. Public can’t buy NAND storage like this.

Actually with very little effor they can,, so you are the one that doesn't understand. But then that doesn't surprise me.

I definitely would pay to see you try and convince my son's school teacher that they should purchase and install their own NAND storage for their tablet.  Better yet, try to explain even what NAND storage is.  Then do the same with the other 95% of people I know who don't give a rat's *ss how technology works, but simply want to use and enjoy it.  Welcome to the human race.

post #97 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The original iProduct:   Apple raised the price of the iMac G4  over the original iMac.

Good point. As the MacBook Pro line went up in price when Retina Display was added. But my point was about iPhones and iPads. Nevertheless, you're right about the iMac.

post #98 of 214
Quote:

Nope, that’s the math.

And my response was a valid dismissal of it. If you’ve proof that Apple has any interest in giving multiple user access to a single iOS device, feel free to present it. 

They don’t want you to do that. Buy separate devices.

Do you have a link to where I can buy said NAND myself? Thanks.

www.digikey.com
Part # MT29F128G08CFABAWP:B TR-ND 16 GB
$17.10
post #99 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voren View Post

Good point. Very concise.

post #100 of 214
Quote:

True. Except that this is the first time ever Apple has raised the price of an iProduct. Every year before this, they have kept pricing the same (of course, there was a price drop in the first year) regardless of what new features they added.

But it's also the first year they leaped a generation (arguably 2 compared to the Full iPad).

Don't get me wrong- I wish it was $299!  Hah :)

But we wen't from an iPad 2 A5 to iPad 3 A5 Retina to iPad 4 A6 Retina to iPad Air A7 Retina- all at $499

So we're essentially jumping from an iPad 2 specs to a iPad Air specs- bypassing the iPad 3 and 4.  This is unprecedented- and $70 is a worthy upgrade from what we were getting last week at $329.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #101 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

Because other companies are coming out with new product categories all the time?

post #102 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

LOL

The announced price points were exactly what I was hoping Apple would have done.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #103 of 214
Quote:

64 Bit processor?  64 Bit OS?  Touch ID?  What do you want- a hologram iPhone?

As Tallest Skil would say- Shut up and go away.

post #104 of 214
www.digikey.com
Part # MT29F128G08CFABAWP:B TR-ND 16 GB
$17.10

And that’s Apple-quality NAND? Rated to a million R/W cycles? Not the kind that will die in a year that Google uses?

post #105 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

IPAD Air, now just 478 grams* vs. new IPAD mini at 341 grams, it's just a difference of 137 grams. After shedding about 184 grams from IPAD4, I have a feeling many people will find it hard to decide between the Air and Mini, especially gamers and people who like bigger screen (like me).

*IPAD4 = 662 grams

My experience is that people do feel the difference in weight. But importantly, size matters even more. 

post #106 of 214
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because of TouchID? I am thinking about it, too. 

Yes..

But then, Nov 1 rolls around... and who knows, all resolve might be out the window...:D 

post #107 of 214
Quote:

Why does it worry you? Why not just get what you want and need, and be happy with that?

Because I own Apple stock.

post #108 of 214
Why keep the iPad2 is still available when no one is buy it? They should keep the iPad4 instead.
post #109 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I didn't see any mention of the weight of the retina iPad mini. Did it go up?

A little. 23 grams. An average playing dart is 28 grams, for example.

post #110 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

A little surprised there is no Touch ID....

I'm not surprised at all. They want to give it a year in the market to prove itself and then bring it over to all new iPads. I would have been surprised if it did happen.

post #111 of 214
Quote:

Multiuser is a valid feature request, no need to be snarky.

Yes, it is a valid request... for the iPad.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #112 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Except it is relevant with regards to pricing.  A 5mp vs 8mp camera doesnt cost that much more.  Touch ID isn't outrageous.  Wireless AC isn't much more than N.  etc. etc.

You've been around Apple long enough to know they don't cram everything new into their non-premium products (i.e.- not the iPhone).  At $329- it can't have everything the Full-sized iPad has at $499.

Look- this is a 2-year processor jump and retina for only $70.  That's a bargain.  You have to take it all into account- where it was, and where it is.

If I had an original mini and Apple said that for $70 they could wave a wand and bump my A5 to an A7 and the screen to a Retina screen, I would say yes.  That is a good deal in isolation.  The problem is that I wouldn't have bought the original mini anyway.  It was already overpriced.  Now the mini has the right features to justify the original price, but Apple decided to bump up the price.

post #113 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point?

They kept it around purely for financial reasons for Apple. I think they should have dropped it. But hey, what do I know.

post #114 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

Where are all the users that claimed we would not see a Retina Mini this year??

anal ysts

post #115 of 214
Buying a WIfI only model this time as I am sick of Verizon and AT&T's shenanigans with burning SIM cards, etc.

post #116 of 214
Quote:

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.

It's not cheap.

That sentence has 2 meanings.

post #117 of 214

I have a friend who is a gamer and he prefers the ipad mini.  He is more than please to see the mini will get the A7.  

post #118 of 214
Quote:

According to one analyst, Apple is planning on selling a 65" HD tv next year, another is talking about the iWatch.

... or were you talking more along the lines of a transporter or flux capacitor...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #119 of 214
Quote:

It was already overpriced.  Now the mini has the right features to justify the original price, but Apple decided to bump up the price.

That's according to you.  It wasn't overpriced to me.  It apparently was not overpriced to Apple- and it was selling in droves- otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

The truth is- your opinion doesn't matter to Apple because they are successful with how they did it.  And if they thought selling it at $279 would create more profit with volume than $329- they would have done that.  I enjoy hearing yours and other's opinions- they don't.  They are brilliant- you and I aren't.  ;) 

post #120 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Regarding weight...
iPad Air: 1 lb
iPad 2:   1.33
iPad 3/4: 1.5 (?)

New iPad mini: .73 lb
iPad mini: .68 lb

So the mini has gotten heavier (presumably due to more battery needed. Its gotten .01" thicker as well.
The iPad Air is nearly a half pound lighter, and considerably smaller.

I had been pretty sure I'd go for the Retina mini (mostly because my left arm is starting to suffer pretty serious pain from holding it) but I'm beginning to think I may go for the Air.

Exactly, same here. I've wanted a mini with retina for a year now. But for $100 more I can get the Air. And it's lighter and thinner so portability becomes less of a factor.

Apple is crafty, methinks the $399 price tag is simply to up sell people. It may work on me...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299