or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display - Page 2

post #41 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Big apple fan here. Slightly disappointed today, I think Apple really has to up their game a bit. Clearly these devices are meant to improve margins, not advance much technically. Not even Touch ID in the iPads.

The Apple I knew would have surprised us tonight. I feel slightly bored instead.

And I own both Apple shares, and consider myself a huge fan of the company. I just wish they would step on it a bit more.

 

Even Apple cannot roll back the laws of physics and completely reinvent the tech marketplace every quarter - or as you put it, "step on it a bit more".  I don't think they are doing too badly though, given what their competitors in this space are doing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some people really crack me up. They complained that the iPad 3/4 was too thick and too heavy. So Apple releases a new iPad that is incredibly thin and light and they complain becaus battery life stayed the same. Good god people, do you expect Apple to work miracles? I mean there were a lot of people who thought the mini wouldn't get retina because of battery life. To me the fact Apple was able to make the iPad super thin and light plus add 64 bit A7 and keep battery life at ~10 hours is amazing. It's ovbious Apple wants the iPad hardware in many ways to just disappear. Something the new Nokia tablet with keyboard cover doesn't do.

Nokia_Lumia_2520_review%20(2)-580-90.JPG

Agreed.  Despite hydr's disappointment, Apple seems to be innovating better than most.

post #42 of 82
Certainly makes the full size iPad more compelling. I would feel on the spot and be hard pressed to decide which one I would buy now.
post #43 of 82
I think these are going to be very successful releases and they will solidify Apples position in the market.
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

14 million? That strikes me as very low. Hmmmmm...

 

its inline with expectations.  Lets not forget those are sells just before an product cycle of both devices.

 

Last year Apple also sold 14 millions iPads. That being said, we have no YoY unit sales increase. Competition is taking market shares indeed.

 

But, I think the new ipads are so great they will trigger a big upgrade cycle. I plan on buying 2 of them.

post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photosmike View Post

I own an iPad 3 and planned to buy the iPad 5. I am disappointed in the changes, but I have committed to sell the 3 so its' to late to change my mind. Otherwise, I would wait for the next version.

 

I am upgrading from the iPad 3, I don't see how you could be disappointed in the ipad5, new form factor and a lot faster. The screen will also look a lot better, the iPad 3 was not IPS.


Edited by herbapou - 10/22/13 at 4:05pm
post #46 of 82

As a seasoned mac fan-boy I expect these improvements in the newer models, but did you notice the reaction from people new to Apple products? They're going crazy over them, it's like they just can't believe what they're seeing, I'm just too jaded I guess.

 

There must be a big difference between the upgrades they're used to seeing from MS or google than from Apple.

post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
The Apple I knew would have surprised us tonight. I feel slightly bored instead.
And I own both Apple shares, and consider myself a huge fan of the company. I just wish they would step on it a bit more.

 

I am very please with the new hardware and free software.  But I agree that I would like to see Apple make a move in new categories like TV and wearable devices.

 

They still didnt upgrade the Apple 27" monitor and the Apple TV box.  imo its a good sign something is cooking on the TV category or they would have upgrade them.  I see no reason to not upgrade those devices other that there preparing themselves for a major revamp.

post #48 of 82

You're absolutely right. And it's actually pretty insulting on Apple's part. As of today, they're calling their biggest and heaviest iPad model the "iPad Air" an no one's supposed to notice? Anyone intent on owning the top-of-the-line iPad will would be wise to wait, knowing that sometime before the next 9.7-inch refresh there will be a new, larger, superior model.

post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I find it strange that they claim that A7 has double GPU performance compared to A6X.
Nobody can really say right now. Apple could have boosted the clock rate of the GPU, the CPU or both. Beyond that iPads have enjoyed far better memory bandwidth than the iPhones which always helps GPU performance in an iPad.
Quote:
It is known that A6X (76.8 GFLOPS) has roughly double GPU performance over A6
A7 was also claimed to have double GPU performance over A6.

This makes A7 GPU roughly equal to A6X GPU.
Actually the A7 GPU has its strong points along with a few weak areas. The net result is that most apps perform much better. It will be interesting to see the hardware in the wild.
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photosmike View Post

I own an iPad 3 and planned to buy the iPad 5. I am disappointed in the changes, but I have committed to sell the 3 so its' to late to change my mind. Otherwise, I would wait for the next version.

I see you are another 7 post wonder. If you have a rational opinion (doubtful) why don't you tell us why you are so disappointed? Each of the iPads got one hell of an update if you ask me.
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.
Eventually they will have to switch to a stiffer material, but yeah not a lot of sense in going much thinner.
Quote:
Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.
On this account I have to say baloney. Really there is always room for more RAM, processor cores, and other technical improvements. One of he big problems with iPad is simply horse power to drive the next generation of apps.
Quote:
Any ideas on where Apple could go?

They wil ride the process shrinks as far as they will go. You will one day have the functionality of a Mac Pro in an iPad along with expanded communications facilities.
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am very please with the new hardware and free software.  But I agree that I would like to see Apple make a move in new categories like TV and wearable devices.

They still didnt upgrade the Apple 27" monitor and the Apple TV box.  imo its a good sign something is cooking on the TV category or they would have upgrade them.  I see no reason to not upgrade those devices other that there preparing themselves for a major revamp.
My guess is the price of a 4K Cinema Display is too much and that's why we didn't see it. Had Apple announced one at a ridiculous price I don't think it would have gone over too well.

I know some are bummed that the iPads don't have touch id. I share that disappointment, but considering what they did with the mini I don't think it was purposely held back so they could have it for next year. I think there are real supply issues and in Apple's mind a feature like that is more important on a phone. The iPad mini was a huge upgrade with the retina display and jumping from the A5 to the A7 processor. I've already seen some hands on reviews that say the mini display is better than the Nexus 7.
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

While I'm happy to see Apple put the latest processor and graphics in the new mini I think it is obscene that this fifth generation device that is built to handle robust apps (as opposed to focused iPhone apps) is still being offered with a base 16 GB of storage. With Apple's cost on flash memory being as good as it is - it is time for them get real with their storage options - iPhone should just be one version, 64 GB across the board, in the various colors and iPad should be 64, 128 and 256 (given what Apple is charging for the storage upgrades). While to competition is just plain stupid about memory/storage (at least usually) I expect Apple to do better.

In a way I have to agree, it is about time a real flash storage bump happens. I'm not sure what Apples problem is here, but they do need to become a bit more aggressive and deliver real value for the incremental flash upgrades. Further they need to do something about RAM.

Maybe a write in scheme is needed to prod Apple in the direction of real flash upgrades for the next machine. You never know, it never hurts for the consumer to make his needs known.
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The only thing I was hoping is they would reduce old mini's a bit more, to $250.

If Apple would sell a device for 59¢, there'd always be somebody disappointed it's not 49¢
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

The screen will also look a lot better, the iPad 3 was not IPS.

 

You must be confused, or you are getting some facts mixed up.

 

The iPad 3 is definitely IPS. Hell, even the iPad 2 uses an IPS display.

post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post


If Apple would sell a device for 59¢, there'd always be somebody disappointed it's not 49¢

 

I'd like to see Apple test your theory... starting with the iPMRD.  8-)
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.

Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.

Any ideas on where Apple could go?

Make 32GB the base model.

post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

its inline with expectations.  Lets not forget those are sells just before an product cycle of both devices.

 

Last year Apple also sold 14 millions iPads. That being said, we have no YoY unit sales increase. Competition is taking market shares indeed.

 

But, I think the new ipads are so great they will trigger a big upgrade cycle. I plan on buying 2 of them.

 

I think Apple is going to have a helluva holiday quarter.

 

That being said... if it's true that Apple only sold 14 million iPads this last quarter with no yoy growth then we're going to hear some moaning from the pundits.

 

Oh... what am I saying. They're going to moan anyway.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post


If Apple would sell a device for 59¢, there'd always be somebody disappointed it's not 49¢

Indeed.

 

The moment I saw the $329 price tag on the iPad mini I knew Apple really wanted two products at $299 and $399, but couldn't pull it off that year.

 

I wondered about the amazing longevity of the iPad 2, but realized that it's essentially identical to the original iPad mini. If one stays on the price list the other can too. The $100 discount looks stingy, but the cost of building an iPad is probably similar whether you equip it with an A7 or some obsolete CPU you pulled out of the recycling bin.

 

It's disappointing that storage still starts at just 16GB after all these years, especially when moving up to 32GB would cost Apple less than $10, but it's not the bottom of the lineup that matters. Moving to 32, 64, 128 would be costly and simply dropping the 16GB model would require a different pricing structure. Maybe they'll finally offer more storage next year.

post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I can't wait until my 6 grand comes in cause I'm buying the 32 gig mini with retina and the goddamn iPad air with 128 memory. I don't care . You live once.


Remember, the larger-screen iPad Pro with Touch ID is coming in 2014 !!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #61 of 82
Some smart refreshes this year for phones & tablets ^^ Time to kill off the 4s & iPad 2
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

Did Tim Cook announce that they sold the 170 millionth iPad some time earlier in Oct? That would mean they sold ~14M iPads in the last quarter?

My count on total iPads sold through fy 2013 Q3 is 155,139,000. That's a difference of 14,861,000, but includes three weeks worth of sales (to today) in fy 2014 Q1. If we averaged the 14,861 by the total days, that's (31+31+30+21=) 113 days, or 131,513 iPads per day. In the 92 days in Q2, that would suggest 12.1 million iPads sold, which is about what I figured would be the case .

 

It was bound to be pretty bad, what with a 17 month gap between 10" iPad refreshes - and it was!

 

Thank the Maker that's now behind Apple!

post #63 of 82

Prediction:

 

Larger screen iPad launches with AppleTv revamp. Apple Tv turns out to not be a device specifically, but a service. A service that happens to look particularly great on a giant iPad.  Apple Tv box evolves to become a highly focused, but limited iOS device that runs the TV service on HDMI displays. 

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am sure Apple will take care of the low end later on, maybe with mini's with plastic shells next year.

 

We’ve gone over this how many times now? Apple already has more revenue and profit than Microsoft and Google combined. Their smartphone business is bigger than all of Microsoft. They are by far the most valuable company in the U.S. Why do they need to “take care” of the low end? The low end means the end of the brand’s reputation. The low end means they become Samsung. The low end means Mercedes building something to compete with Hyundai. 

post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I know some are bummed that the iPads don't have touch id. I share that disappointment, but considering what they did with the mini I don't think it was purposely held back so they could have it for next year. I think there are real supply issues and in Apple's mind a feature like that is more important on a phone.

Agreed. But I'd go further: touch ID isn't planned for iPads at all. If people think it's there for quickly logging in, they're idiots.

There's a reason they keep calling the 5S "forward-thinking" and IMO it's touch ID. And Passbook. And Bluetooth beacons.

Now they just have to work out how to stop people laundering money buying iTunes gift cards.

People won't be toting around iPads to pay for stuff, will they? Although, judging by the number of people taking photos...



So gutted with 1st gen iPad mini. This is truly a massive jump, bigger than the air and very similar to previous 1st gen -> 2nd gen product releases we've seen, it just started off so darn pretty they didn't need to change the case.
post #66 of 82
Retina display on the mini? Awesome! No finger printer scanner on the mini or regular size iPad? Booo!
Edited by AppleFanPro - 10/22/13 at 7:52pm
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post
 

My count on total iPads sold through fy 2013 Q3 is 155,139,000. That's a difference of 14,861,000, but includes three weeks worth of sales (to today) in fy 2014 Q1. If we averaged the 14,861 by the total days, that's (31+31+30+21=) 113 days, or 131,513 iPads per day. In the 92 days in Q2, that would suggest 12.1 million iPads sold, which is about what I figured would be the case .

 

It was bound to be pretty bad, what with a 17 month gap between 10" iPad refreshes - and it was!

 

Thank the Maker that's now behind Apple!

They didn't hit 170M today. They hit it "earlier this month".

post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some people really crack me up. They complained that the iPad 3/4 was too thick and too heavy. So Apple releases a new iPad that is incredibly thin and light and they complain becaus battery life stayed the same. Good god people, do you expect Apple to work miracles? I mean there were a lot of people who thought the mini wouldn't get retina because of battery life. To me the fact Apple was able to make the iPad super thin and light plus add 64 bit A7 and keep battery life at ~10 hours is amazing. It's ovbious Apple wants the iPad hardware in many ways to just disappear. Something the new Nokia tablet with keyboard cover doesn't do.

Nokia_Lumia_2520_review%20(2)-580-90.JPG

 

No. Everything Apple does is wrong and a sign that innovation died with Steve.

If Apple doesn't make a smaller iPad, the competition is winning.

If Apple makes a smaller iPad, they are criticized for not making a bigger iPad.

If they make a bigger iPad, it's criticized for weight and being just a Giant iPad Touch.

If they don't put in a Touch ID sensor, they are disappointing people.

If they put in Touch ID, they're criticized not doing more.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #69 of 82
Ugh...CNET. Just don't go over there.
post #70 of 82
I think apple has some surprises in 2014. I dont think that they will be another year not having something new in the first 6 months of 2014. What do you guys think?? Im thinking Itv or iwatch
post #71 of 82
Greatest thing about iPad mini is all the naysayers who now have egg on their face. 1biggrin.gif
post #72 of 82
I'm still trying to justify spending $100 more to get the 9.7" versus the mini. Paying more to get a technically inferior display (PPI wise). Not to mention larger and heavier.
post #73 of 82
so happy with the upgrades done to the iPad mini.. wasn't expecting most of it...

iPad Air upgrades over the iPad 4 seems lesser when compared to what happened to Retina mini... however will still need to replace my wife's iPad2 so iPad Air is the best way to go...
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post

so happy with the upgrades done to the iPad mini.. wasn't expecting most of it...

iPad Air upgrades over the iPad 4 seems lesser when compared to what happened to Retina mini... however will still need to replace my wife's iPad2 so iPad Air is the best way to go...
New iPad will be a big upgrade over 3rd gen. That A5X chip isn't the best. Probably why Apple replaced it 7 months later.
post #75 of 82
Some points and observations:

- Between both new iPad models, the only new technology being offered (not including the new iPhones) is MiMo, which is not even an Apple technology (good to have, nonetheless). Just wondering why MiMo didn't make it into the iPhone 5S.

That's all for now...
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


It's disappointing that storage still starts at just 16GB after all these years, especially when moving up to 32GB would cost Apple less than $10…

Memory, well Apple has always been complete jagoffs there. I've never once paid their prices for any upgradable machine. The mobile devices' storage prices are rape IMO. (16 to 32 = $100, 64 to 128 = $100?? Wtf?)
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Greatest thing about iPad mini is all the naysayers who now have egg on their face. 1biggrin.gif

Tim Cook's statement on "trade-offs" is in the last minute or so of this clip from All Things D.

http://allthingsd.com/20130528/why-apple-makes-only-one-iphone-and-doesnt-want-to-make-a-phablet-video/

He took a lot of crap here from certain posters about that trade-off "excuse" for not doing larger hand-held retina screens. "If Google could do it with the Nexus . . . " etc., etc.

I thought they were maybe committed to an energy-saving screen technology like IGZO to do a retina iPad mini without sacrificing weight, thickness and battery life. Turns out they were committed to getting a new processor in production, the A7, and presumably new software to go with it, iOS7, in order to compensate for the retina screen's demands on the mini's batteries.

I recall you had a lot to say about their inability to do a retina screen on the mini. How did you think they were going to solve the problem? Do you now appreciate the complexity of their solution, and the accuracy of what Tim Cook was saying?
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Some points and observations:

- Between both new iPad models, the only new technology being offered (not including the new iPhones) is MiMo, which is not even an Apple technology (good to have, nonetheless). Just wondering why MiMo didn't make it into the iPhone 5S.

That's all for now...

You might have look at that processor and its architecture. Some say it's a year ahead of anything else out there. Software too.
post #79 of 82

TouchID is a production bottleneck at the moment, so for new iPads to come out this year, they had to go without.  Given the nomenclature of the iPad Air, I expect an "iPad Pro" early next year with the iPhone 5S feature set (i.e. TouchID and improved camera system).  I'm not going to attempt to guess at screen size/resolution but would expect weight and thickness to be the same as iPad4, hopefully allowing an improvement in battery life.

 

Who would buy the iPad 2 over a Retina Mini?  I bought a refurb iPad 3 in January for my Grandma (I would have gone for a 2 but the refurb 3 was cheaper...) She had struggled for years with an iBook and never really got the hang of it but absolutely loves the iPad because the UI is so intuitive: there is no way that she would tell the difference between the regular and retina displays, but she does think that my aunt's mini is too small to see things on properly.  For older folks with failing vision who haven't grown up with computers but want to keep in touch with far-flung family, the iPad 2 is entirely adequate, better than the retina mini by 1.8" of screen and better than the air by $100.

post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You might have look at that processor and its architecture. Some say it's a year ahead of anything else out there. Software too.

The processor was introduced for the iPhone 5S. It's new for the iPad, but not new for Apple. So was the M7 and the camera improvements. Again, there is no new technologies, except for MiNo. All "new" technologies were already introduced in other Apple products.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display