or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model

Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model - Page 2

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy your boat.

See this is why I'm different. Don't care if my laptop is big and ugly or how thin it is. Just want a laptop with a big matt screen that runs Mac OS X.

I know I'm not along in this. Once again Apple is not filling the need of its pro users.

post #42 of 90
Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Once again Apple is not filling the need of its pro users.

Well, we know that’s not true, so why would you say it?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #43 of 90
Can't put a second hard drive in a rMBP. Guess I'm buying used or refurb.
post #44 of 90
They shouldn't have killed off the non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro until they were prepared to lower the Retina model to the same price point. Now it is impossible to get into a 15" MacBook Pro for less than nearly $2,000. That may not seem much to the Silicon Valley dwellers who set the prices for Apple, but for a working stiff who wants to remain an Apple customer and needs a 15" laptop for work, it is a deal breaker.
post #45 of 90
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post
Now it is impossible to get into a 15" MacBook Pro for less than nearly $2,000. That may not seem much to the Silicon Valley dwellers who set the prices for Apple, but for a working stiff who wants to remain an Apple customer and needs a 15" laptop for work, it is a deal breaker.

Same price as before October 2008.

post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

I'm in the publishing industry, and need to open 3 pages or more under 3 different apps simultaneously, on the go.

I can't do that with 15".

17" mobile monitor.  Only prototype stage but they got Kickstarter funded.

http://www.able-hd.com

post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

17" mobile monitor.  Only prototype stage but they got Kickstarter funded.

http://www.able-hd.com

A portable 17 inch monitor?  Well, that's one way to skin a cat.  It might not be the prettiest or become popular since it's one more thing to lug around turning a portable laptop into some luggable solution. Yeah, I'm sure they'll sell some, but I don't see this as a big seller.

post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

A portable 17 inch monitor?  Well, that's one way to skin a cat.  It might not be the prettiest or become popular since it's one more thing to lug around turning a portable laptop into some luggable solution. Yeah, I'm sure they'll sell some, but I don't see this as a big seller.

An 11" or 13" MBA for use on the plane and a 17" monitor (or two), keyboard and mouse for the hotel room is a pretty decent setup if the thing stays lighter than an iPad.

For a two-week long gig back in my contractor days I once shipped a monitor keyboard and mouse to my hotel room.  In my last trip I stuffed a monitor in a big pelican case and checked it in.

post #49 of 90
Quote:

An 11" or 13" MBA for use on the plane and a 17" monitor (or two), keyboard and mouse for the hotel room is a pretty decent setup if the thing stays lighter than an iPad.

For a two-week long gig back in my contractor days I once shipped a monitor keyboard and mouse to my hotel room.  In my last trip I stuffed a monitor in a big pelican case and checked it in.

I'm not saying there no need for it, but it's a smaller subset of laptop users that will buy a portable 17inch monitor to lug around, that's all.

The problem is that when Apple makes a product, they have to look at the R&D costs, costs to mfg, market, support, etc. and then the potential market.  If they run their numbers internally and it comes up to be a losing proposition that will give them reason to make or not make something.

Personally, I think they should make a 17inch laptop because there are people that use them, but I don't know what the numbers look like from a perspective of it being worthwhile or not.

Remember, the 17ich screen with Retina resolution is, or at least has been VERY expensive and that might be one of the factors that led them to decide to not make them at this time, but things change.  Apple never said they will never make a 17inch laptop ever again, I just think that between current market conditions and cost to mfg might not have been conducive of making the product.  But keep submitting your request to Apple Feedback to let them know.

I didn't investigate this portable 17inch monitor, but what were they selling it for and what was the resolution?  Was it just standard resolution for a 17inch monitor or would it be considered a Retina class display?  

post #50 of 90
Quote:

I do remember reading an article around the time when the 15inch Retina MBP came out and they discussed that a 17 screen was just too expensive, so instead of keeping the 17inch, which wasn't selling that well, I think it was a combination, but look at what is happening with screen sizes on smartphone and tablets.

Markets shift.  I remember when people wanted smaller cell phones, now the trend is changing where people want bigger smartphones.  Same thing with tablets.  There are rumors about a bigger iPad.

I think it boils down to cost, weight, size, battery life, and ultimately if the market is big enough.  But I would say that there is always a possibility that Apple might reintroduce a 17inch laptop in the future, just right now they don't.

post #51 of 90
Quote:

I don't want to be a Dick about it, but they had how many backers?  759?  Do you honestly think that's a big enough market?  Obviously it's enough to bring in the money they were looking for, but ultimately, they are going to need a LOT more than 759 people buying these things to become profitable.  They are going to need hundreds of thousands of people, YEARLY.  the margins on that thing is slimmer than a toothpick.

post #52 of 90

The problem is that if you want to run Mac OSX you have to buy from Apple. So unless Apple starts licensing their OS it is up to them to sell products that meet the needs of all their users, not just the ones buying the most equipment. 

If Apple is unwilling to make a sell equipment for their smaller markets then they need to license their OS to places that are willing to meet the needs of smaller markets.

post #53 of 90
it is up to them to sell products that meet the needs of all their users

No, not at all. It’s up to them to make whatever they want and you can deal with it or buy something else from someone else. 

post #54 of 90
Quote:

I don't want to be a Dick about it, but they had how many backers?  759?  Do you honestly think that's a big enough market?  Obviously it's enough to bring in the money they were looking for, but ultimately, they are going to need a LOT more than 759 people buying these things to become profitable.  They are going to need hundreds of thousands of people, YEARLY.  the margins on that thing is slimmer than a toothpick.

They got 759 folks to spend $100+ on a bare 17" panel, an exposed circuit board and a stand.  No case.  Completely DIY.    

It's surely niche but there is demand just like there is for external battery kits that require you to chop up your magsafe cable.  Hyperjuice made a good amount of money chopping up magsafe bricks and selling moderately overpriced external battery packs.  But they usually looked good so what the heck.

/shrug

I bet 99.9% of MBP owners have never considered an external battery pack.  That still leaves a lot of road warriors picking up $400 external battery packs.

As a former road warrior with a 17" MBP the damn thing was too big most of the time.  Too big to fit into hotel safes.  Too big to comfortably use when riding coach.  Too big to lug around.  If I could of had a 13" dual core i7 MBA and a 17" monitor that fit in my backpack that weighted less than an iPad I'd have gone that route in a heartbeat.  13" is cramped as hell but so is coach these days (we didn't get to fly domestic business class).  

post #55 of 90
Quote:

I'm not saying there no need for it, but it's a smaller subset of laptop users that will buy a portable 17inch monitor to lug around, that's all.

Personally, I think they should make a 17inch laptop because there are people that use them, but I don't know what the numbers look like from a perspective of it being worthwhile or not.

Is there a reason you responded in three separate posts?  

Anyway, I doubt Apple will make a 17" MBP again.  Especially given how anemic the 15" MBP lineup is in terms of BTO options.

I also think that many use cases that involve wanting a 17" MBP is better solved with a 13" MBP + 17" mobile monitor even without a battery for the monitor.

post #56 of 90
Quote:
As a former road warrior with a 17" MBP the damn thing was too big most of the time.  Too big to fit into hotel safes.  Too big to comfortably use when riding coach.  Too big to lug around.  If I could of had a 13" dual core i7 MBA and a 17" monitor that fit in my backpack that weighted less than an iPad I'd have gone that route in a heartbeat.  13" is cramped as hell but so is coach these days (we didn't get to fly domestic business class).  

Not sure what you used yours for but I bet it isn't for going over two page spreads with clients or editing in Final Cut or other design type work.  

Designers need big screens. I can barely work on a 17" screen and work on a 30" screen at the office with all my palettes on the 17" screen of my Mackbook.

An example is tomorrow I'm driving over to a client to go over the brochure that I'm doing for them. My 17" screen is barely big enough to display the layout and not have everything be too small to be practical. 

post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not at all. It’s up to them to make whatever they want and you can deal with it or buy something else from someone else. 

If they want to provide a complete solution then they need to meet the hardware requirements of all their users. Otherwise people will be forced to switch to Windows. Saw it happen if the nineties and Apple just about went out of business. 

post #58 of 90
Quote:

Is there a reason you responded in three separate posts?  

Anyway, I doubt Apple will make a 17" MBP again.  Especially given how anemic the 15" MBP lineup is in terms of BTO options.

I also think that many use cases that involve wanting a 17" MBP is better solved with a 13" MBP + 17" mobile monitor even without a battery for the monitor.

I've been in the computer industry since the late 70's.  One thing I know for sure is the market changes and what works today is different than it will a few years from now when it comes to screen sizes.

When PC's (Apple I) first came out  people were using 9 inch screens, then it went to 12, then 13, then 15, then 17, then 19, etc. etc.  When portables (luggables and laptops) first came out, it was 9 inch (Compaq, Kaypro, Osborne) then the screen sizes again edged upwards.

Sure the 13 and 15 inch seem to be the most popular, but the 11's are popular on the Airs.   But I think it's POSSIBLE that Apple will reintroduce a 17inch at some point in time and it might be when they can make them thin, light, powerful, long battery life, retina display and be able to sell it for a certain price point where people will buy them in decent quantities.

Your analyzing whether Apple will make a 17inch MBP again based on the 15inch BTO options?   WHAT?  That has NOTHING to do with it.

The bottom line is Apple will bring out a product if they can meet all of the requirements they feel are needed (weight, size, price, etc.etc.) and there is a big enough market for it.  I doubt they will make one within a year, but after that, I am not going to speculate that they won't or will.    All I know is that the market shifts.   

post #59 of 90
Quote:

The problem is that if you want to run Mac OSX you have to buy from Apple. So unless Apple starts licensing their OS it is up to them to sell products that meet the needs of all their users, not just the ones buying the most equipment. 

If Apple is unwilling to make a sell equipment for their smaller markets then they need to license their OS to places that are willing to meet the needs of smaller markets.

(Apple) "Computer says no."

Apple has no responsibility to make niche products that are more than likely not profitable. It has no responsibility to make products for all users - that is simply uneconomical.

I love my 17" MBP, perhaps there will be one once more when retina panels at that size are more affordable, however I am more than accepting of the fact that I'll have to slightly alter my own expectations and work practices in order to be able to get the OS, user experience and workmanship that I want in a personal computer.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #60 of 90
Quote:

Not sure what you used yours for but I bet it isn't for going over two page spreads with clients or editing in Final Cut or other design type work.  

Designers need big screens. I can barely work on a 17" screen and work on a 30" screen at the office with all my palettes on the 17" screen of my Mackbook.

For your office, at least, why limit yourself with 17" + 30"?

You could always keep the 17"-er for taking to clients if it 'barely' manages...

post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post
You could always keep the 17"-er for taking to clients if it 'barely' manages...

And then buy two copies of the Adobe applications plus other applications that I use. 

post #62 of 90
Otherwise people will be forced to switch to Windows.

Isn’t that exactly what I said? They couldn’t care less about these people.

Apple isn’t going to go bankrupt because five whiners didn’t get their xMac or their 17” MacBook Pro. Apple doesn’t cater to anyone and they don’t have to cater to everyone. You need to understand this.

post #63 of 90
Quote:

Your analyzing whether Apple will make a 17inch MBP again based on the 15inch BTO options?   WHAT?  That has NOTHING to do with it.

Sure it does.  It indicates that Apple prefers to even further limit their skus and configurations even when there might be demand for different needs.

Quote:
 The bottom line is Apple will bring out a product if they can meet all of the requirements they feel are needed (weight, size, price, etc.etc.) and there is a big enough market for it.  I doubt they will make one within a year, but after that, I am not going to speculate that they won't or will.    All I know is that the market shifts.   

Yes, the market shifts.  That's hardly profound.

I've been in the "computer industry" for a very long time as well.  My first job was selling Apple ][ clones.  So what?  If you're looking at long term trends you'll see that on the desktop there was an ever increasing size up to 30".  Then folks stepped back and the norm appears to be 27" at the top end.  Likewise with laptops shooting up to 17" and then dropping back to 15".  Also dropping down to 7" and then back up to 11-12".  Given the current trends I think it is highly unlikely that Apple will make a 17" MBP again.

post #64 of 90
Quote:

An example is tomorrow I'm driving over to a client to go over the brochure that I'm doing for them. My 17" screen is barely big enough to display the layout and not have everything be too small to be practical. 

That's just stupid.  Is the brochure physically that much larger than a 17" screen?  Doubtful.

Frankly I'd be surprised if an iPad + Apple TV wasn't a better client presentation platform than any 17" laptop screen you have to crowd behind.  Render to a format the iPad can play.  Throw on clients 55"+ conference (or living room) room HDTV or projector.  Let client zoom/pan as desired on iPad.  If you intend to edit then AirPlay from laptop to HDTV or projector.

post #65 of 90
Quote:

That's just stupid.  Is the brochure physically that much larger than a 17" screen?  Doubtful.

Frankly I'd be surprised if an iPad + Apple TV wasn't a better client presentation platform than any 17" laptop screen you have to crowd behind.  Render to a format the iPad can play.  Throw on clients 55"+ conference (or living room) room HDTV or projector.  Let client zoom/pan as desired on iPad.  If you intend to edit then AirPlay from laptop to HDTV or projector.

Conference room, what  conference room? Two meetings today. One at a restaurant and one at a Spa. Just the manager and I sitting down in front of a laptop going over design ideas. What you don't realize is client on I work together on layouts. iPads don't run Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut, Dreamweaver or anything that a designer would use. 

Honestly I see myself ending up lugging around a monitor and external drive in the future. Should be real fun when doing on location photo shoots when there is no power source. Guess I'll have to add a generator to the gear list. I'm going to need a much bigger laptop bag.

post #66 of 90
Quote:

Conference room, what  conference room? Two meetings today. One at a restaurant and one at a Spa. Just the manager and I sitting down in front of a laptop going over design ideas. What you don't realize is client on I work together on layouts. iPads don't run Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut, Dreamweaver or anything that a designer would use. 

Honestly I see myself ending up lugging around a monitor and external drive in the future. Should be real fun when doing on location photo shoots when there is no power source. Guess I'll have to add a generator to the gear list. I'm going to need a much bigger laptop bag.

http://www.siliconsolar.com/portable-solar-power-systems.html

post #67 of 90
Quote:

Even better, portable fuel cell

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4068/picture/11293/

Because lugging around all this equipment is so much better than lugging around a 17" laptop.

post #68 of 90
Quote:

Even better, portable fuel cell

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4068/picture/11293/

Because lugging around all this equipment is so much better than lugging around a 17" laptop.

That's a neat product.

post #69 of 90
Quote:

Doesn't your client have a bigger monitor you can hook your laptop up to?  

post #70 of 90
Quote:

Doesn't your client have a bigger monitor you can hook your laptop up to?  

We sat at a table and discussed things over lunch. But I guess we could have moved the meeting into the restaurant’s office. Then I could craw under the desk and disconnect their crappy un-calibrated monitor from their PC. Then go looking for an adapter that goes from its VGA connector to my Macbook. Damn, why didn't I think of this?

Edited by TzTerri - 10/24/13 at 1:08pm
post #71 of 90
Quote:

We sat at a table and discussed thing over lunch. But I guess we could have moved the meeting into the restaurant’s office. Then I could craw under the desk and disconnect their crappy un-calibrated monitor from their PC. Then go looking for an adapter that goes from its VGA connector to my Macbook. Damn, why didn't I think of this?

You should maybe print out a full sized copy and have something to write on to make notes.

There are various ways to interface with a customer when discussing a mock up for a design.

I have a friend that does graphics work and he uses a MBP w/o Retina (yeah, he's considering a new laptop).  I asked him if he would prefer a 17inch just to get his reaction and he told me that the 17inch was too big and heavy and the 15 inch does just fine.  He uses mostly Photoshop for what he does.

post #72 of 90
Quote:

You should maybe print out a full sized copy and have something to write on to make notes.

Got it, leave laptop home. Bring Letraset, Border tape, X Acto Knife and some spray adhesive. Time to get back to basics and go old skool. Going to have to also load up camera with some Kodachrome.

post #73 of 90
Quote:

Got it, leave laptop home. Bring Letraset, Border tape, X Acto Knife and some spray adhesive. Time to get back to basics and go old skool. Going to have to also load up camera with some Kodachrome.

No, you bring a full sized print in addition to the laptop if you want, so you can draw any changes on it and make notes and if you want to do the changes on the laptop in front of them, you can do that.  Don't you ever show proofs in a full sized print version if the job is for a print as final copy?

Or don't you invite the customer to your shop so you have all of your big screens there to show your work on a REAL workstation?

All of the real graphics guys that use higher end s/w have higher end workstations and a laptop is just doing light modifications but the more serious work is done on a higher end workstation.  At least that's what the crowd I've dealt with do.

post #74 of 90
Quote:
Or don't you invite the customer to your shop so you have all of your big screens there to show your work on a REAL workstation?

You mean the spare bedroom of my house?

I'm a freelance designer. Have been for over twenty years. My last desktop machine was a G3 tower. Went from that to a 17" Powerbook. That Powerbook is still in our kitchen being used for recipes. Bought the first Intel 15" Macbook when it came out. Always found the screen too small but it still runs and is on my night stand. I use it for email and surfing the web sometimes. Also have an iPad. I like it for reading books but that is about it. 

My 17" connected to a 30" screen, mouse and keyboard is my workstation. Love being  able to unplug it and have everything with me. 

Just like some people want a bigger iPhone some people want a bigger laptop. It's frustrating when the only place to buy hardware is one suppler and that suppler is no longer making products that fit my needs. 

Actually I don't like a lot of stuff with the new Macbooks but it is what it is. Isn't going to stop me from bitching or buying older Macbooks instead of the latest from Apple so it is their loss. 

Edited by TzTerri - 10/24/13 at 3:47pm
post #75 of 90
Quote:

And then buy two copies of the Adobe applications plus other applications that I use. 

Not at all. With a single license on Creative Cloud, for example, you can install on multiple machines, as long as you don't use them at the same time. That would be some feat, if you were out at a client's.

Edited by sennen - 10/24/13 at 5:06pm
post #76 of 90
Quote:

I'm a freelance designer. Have been for over twenty years. My last desktop machine was a G3 tower. Went from that to a 17" Powerbook. That Powerbook is still in our kitchen being used for recipes. Bought the first Intel 15" Macbook when it came out. Always found the screen too small but it still runs and is on my night stand. I use it for email and surfing the web sometimes. Also have an iPad. I like it for reading books but that is about it. 

My 17" connected to a 30" screen, mouse and keyboard is my workstation. Love being  able to unplug it and have everything with me. 

Just like some people want a bigger iPhone some people want a bigger laptop. It's frustrating when the only place to buy hardware is one suppler and that suppler is no longer making products that fit my needs. 

Actually I don't like a lot of stuff with the new Macbooks but it is what it is. Isn't going to stop me from bitching or buying older Macbooks instead of the latest from Apple so it is their loss. 

Well, most of the freelancers that only use a laptop to a big screen that are in graphics are typically the low end graphics crowd.   I'm sorry you don't make enough money at your job to buy a more powerful desktop workstation, that you don't work for a company that buys expensive workstations.  The people I used to sell to fell into the category of working for a company that bought expensive high end workstations as their main system and a laptop for their secondary system or the people just simply bought high end systems if they were freelancers because they could afford high end systems.  Those were the customers I had.

post #77 of 90
Quote:

I know of one person that only uses a laptop, but he does mostly Photoshop and he doesn't even meet with his clients, he just sends them the file, gets feedback from the client, makes changes until the job is done.  He gets all of his work on-line and they are rarely in the same town.  But he only charges around $50 an hour and gets work whenever he can, but he's content just using a 15inch MBP (non-retina), he's saving up for a Retina model.  I asked him if he would prefer a 17inch, and he doesn't want one because it's too big/heavy/expensive for his needs.  But, I understand your dilemma, I think Apple should make a 17inch model because there are others in the recording/video editing that really would like the larger screen, etc. 

I think if Apple's isn't making the 17inch, it's due to the retina screen not being cheap enough and the panel mfg can't make them in large enough quantities, yet.   Why do you think Apple was the only 15inch retina screen available for so long?  I don't think anyone else that makes a 15inch laptop even has one out yet.  If so, I haven't seen them and I know they aren't mainstream amongst the PC laptop crowd.

post #78 of 90
Quote:

Neither restaurant nor spa have HDTVs?  Mkay.  They still have power.  So bring a small projector and shine it on a small screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Portable-Tabletop-Projection-V12H002S4Y/dp/B004OBYYWG/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I've done work in the middle of a desert with a generator.  In any case my 17" MBP would not have lasted all day anyway (3-4 hours under heavy load) and there's a limit to the number of hyperjuice bricks I was going to hump around if on foot.  If in a vehicle then you can run off the car power port. 

Frankly if your work isn't sitting on a small raid 1 drive you're courting disaster.  Especially if you still have a HDD in your MBP and not a SSD. They make relatively compact 2.5" ones.

post #79 of 90
Quote:

No it's your loss.  Either you're running an underpowered machine or you're switching workflow from Mac to Windows.

You seem unwilling to use any solution other than what you're used to.

/shrug

post #80 of 90

Just like some people want a bigger iPhone some people want a bigger laptop.

That number of people is roughly equal. And the 17” was discontinued.

Wonder what that implies for the iPhone.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model