or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model

Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That number of people is roughly equal. And the 17” was discontinued.

Wonder what that implies for the iPhone.

The fact that you were so wrong about the demand for the iPad mini might suggest you should be cautious about assuming people wouldn't buy a bigger iPhone. Every time the subject comes up around here it seems like 1/3 of the people in the thread would buy one. 

I think the 17" decision is different because the demand for laptops is hugely smaller than the demand for phones. 

Then again, the reason could be the same in both cases, most likely the quality and cost issues involved in producing a current-Apple-quality display in terms of color quality and brightness for the part. 

post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

The fact that you were so wrong about the demand for the iPad mini might suggest you should be cautious about assuming people wouldn't buy a bigger iPhone. Every time the subject comes up around here it seems like 1/3 of the people in the thread would buy one. 

I think the 17" decision is different because the demand for laptops is hugely smaller than the demand for phones. 

Then again, the reason could be the same in both cases, most likely the quality and cost issues involved in producing a current-Apple-quality display in terms of color quality and brightness for the part. 

The 17inch was discontinued for a variety of reasons.  1. Demand went down, 2. Getting retina panels in decent quantity at a decent price is another.   They didn't say they wouldn't bring back the 17inch laptop, but for now, they haven't.  It's only been about a year for God's sake.

The larger screen iPhones.  They will sell, how many compared to the 4inch?  Probably a lot in the beginning and I'm sure it will bring back some customers that went with Android, since they have a lot of large screen models and they've been increasing in sales.

I think Apple has to wait for IGZO technology is just my gut feeling as to what they will be using and they might not have the yields up and the price point low enough, yet.

I already know the larger models phones will sell. I actually think they might outsell the 4inch model for the first year, if they release a comparable high end 4inch model using essentially the same class case, processor, etc.

post #83 of 90

Hello everyone, I'm interested on what you think about getting an older 13" Macbook Pro (like last years model, refurb perhaps), replacing the main HDD with a SSD (to boot OSX and Apps) and removing the useless Superdrive and replacing that with a 750GB/1TB HDD. And finally upgrading the Ram beyond the 8GB to 16GB (OWC?)

For the DVD drive replacement there's this MCE Optibay. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

I'm not going to be doing this immediately, just looking into it. As I'm currently typing this on my old Macbook Pro 17" (Late 2007). And it is pretty much useless as a laptop. As the screen won't close due to the bottom right edge of the display shell being cracked. And I've gone through two batteries that expanded. So now by default it's a desktop lol. Its clearly not worth sinking any more money into, I believe the battery alone is $150. 

Also one final question. Although I know it is of a completely different topic, and should be in different thread. But I'm running SL and since OSX Mavericks is available for this old MacBook Pro. I'm just curious if it'll just slow it down more or be beneficial in any way. It looks real good though.

post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodDude View Post

Hello everyone, I'm interested on what you think about getting an older 13" Macbook Pro (like last years model, refurb perhaps), replacing the main HDD with a SSD (to boot OSX and Apps) and removing the useless Superdrive and replacing that with a 750GB/1TB HDD. And finally upgrading the Ram beyond the 8GB to 16GB (OWC?)

For the DVD drive replacement there's this MCE Optibay. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

I'm not going to be doing this immediately, just looking into it. As I'm currently typing this on my old Macbook Pro 17" (Late 2007). And it is pretty much useless as a laptop. As the screen won't close due to the bottom right edge of the display shell being cracked. And I've gone through two batteries that expanded. So now by default it's a desktop lol. Its clearly not worth sinking any more money into, I believe the battery alone is $150. 

Also one final question. Although I know it is of a completely different topic, and should be in different thread. But I'm running SL and since OSX Mavericks is available for this old MacBook Pro. I'm just curious if it'll just slow it down more or be beneficial in any way. It looks real good though.

I personally don't have a problem with that.  The only problem I see is that any potential warranty issues from replacing an Apple component with a non-Apple component.  They get a little weird when you bring something in that's been altered on that level, so you might have to replace the drives to the original state prior to bringing in for warranty repair.   I would contact Apple directly and ask that question before you do anything, because even the refurbed Macs come with a warranty.  It would be a shame if you didn't have that warranty or even being able to get an AppleCare warranty because you altered the computer to that extent.  I am a big proponent of AppleCare warranties, especially for laptops since they are more susceptible to problems due to the inherent nature that they get tossed around and subjected to more extreme environmental conditions.

That's just my initial response to your question.

post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I personally don't have a problem with that.  The only problem I see is that any potential warranty issues from replacing an Apple component with a non-Apple component.  They get a little weird when you bring something in that's been altered on that level, so you might have to replace the drives to the original state prior to bringing in for warranty repair.   I would contact Apple directly and ask that question before you do anything, because even the refurbed Macs come with a warranty.  It would be a shame if you didn't have that warranty or even being able to get an AppleCare warranty because you altered the computer to that extent.  I am a big proponent of AppleCare warranties, especially for laptops since they are more susceptible to problems due to the inherent nature that they get tossed around and subjected to more extreme environmental conditions.

That's just my initial response to your question.

Thanks a lot for your insight Drblank. I was wondering about the AppleCare warranty. I'd assumed it'd be void if I did anything more than change the ram. And I fully agree that having the AppleCare on the MacBooks are quite helpful. For my old MacBook they replaced the discrete graphics card. But that was due to that faulty nvidia 8600M GT chipset.

That was a good point about just how much abuse a MacBook will take. I suppose I forgot exactly what it's like to have a mobile computer lol

The new 13" retina MacBook looks like a sweet machine. But upgrading the CPU, ram and adding apple care will quickly add up the price above $2,000. And I don't really need a beast of a machine like that. Granted the screen is beautiful, but still.
post #86 of 90

My girlfried is getting close to switching to a MacBook pro and I can't now support this move. Why? Because of the following:

1) Integrated graphics

2) Soldered on Ram

3) Soldered on HD

4) No DVD/CD drive

5) No Ethernet connector

6) No Anti-glare screen option.

WTF is Apple thinking and doing? iOS7 with it's pre-teen look is another Apple blunder in my opinion.

post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

My girlfried is getting close to switching to a MacBook pro and I can't now support this move. Why? Because of the following:

1) Integrated graphics

2) Soldered on Ram

3) Soldered on HD

4) No DVD/CD drive

5) No Ethernet connector

WTF is Apple thinking and doing? iOS7 with it's pre-teen look is another Apple blunder in my opinion.

1. Whether the integrated GPU is sufficient depends on what she does.  In any case the 13" MBP is MUCH better than last year and it always had a IGP.  For the base 15" model it's a little worse than last year but not the horrible performance that IGPs use to be.
  2. Soldered RAM is annoying but $200 installed for 16GB  isn't a terrible price.  It's $163 at crucial.  I have box of old sticks that I am too lazy to eBay so it's a $40 delta for not needing to open up your brand new laptop.  Given there's nothing else to do in there that's acceptable.  The $300 up charge on the base 13" is moderately extortionate.  Every model after that is only $200.
  3. It's not soldered on.
  4. True.  If you watch movies in airplanes this may be an issue.  Then again you can rip the movie or download it from iTunes.  The superdrive was never that super so it's not that much of a loss and Apple was never going to add Blu-Ray. 
  5. Eh.  I use ethernet at work and frankly this is a non-issue.  Especially given how fast 802.11AC is.  It's $30 at most.  There are probably cheaper options out there.
  6. The glossy screen, as shown elsewhere, is not nearly as reflective as before.  Its at a good trade off between sharpness and reflectivity.

Sounds like you just want to hate and was never supportive of a MBP purchase anyway.   The 13" models got a HUGE update.  The low and middle 15" models have improved battery life at the cost of a moderate GPU regression.  The top end model is better than last years.  The only downer is for hard core gamers (and folks that need a GPU for work…but work will probably pay for it anyway) who have to pony up to the top end model.  Casual gamers are probably okay with the Crystalwell.  WoW and D3 should run fine.

post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodDude View Post

I did the upgrade in the older mini to SSD + HDD using an older optibay.  Works just fine…it's just a bracket to hold the drive and a cable to connect the drive.  Unless bent in shipping there's not THAT much to go wrong.  I don't buy ram from OWC.  Newegg is cheaper and same or better quality.  

Try bringing the expanded battery into an Apple store.  Even out of warranty they sometimes may do something for you. 

For the 13" I would get the new model.  It's just soooo much better.  The $1499 model is probably the sweet spot.  Bump up to 16GB for $200 and it's about as future proof as any other MBP.  256GB is a little tight but not too bad when at home.  On the road I carry a small 1TB external for the big stuff (like VMs, movies, etc).

post #89 of 90

1) Better than the discrete graphics in MacBook Pros two years ago

2) Less prone to failure

3) Stop lying. Take five seconds and look at the computer

4) The 1990s called. They don’t even want you back anymore

5) Again, stop lying.

6) Try at least looking at a computer before whining about it with lies, please.

WTF is Apple thinking and doing?

They’re doing (releasing) the last laptop design the world will ever need and thinking that people will at least be smart enough to LOOK AT THE COMPUTER before whining about how “bad” it is.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #90 of 90
Quote:

1) Integrated graphics

2) Soldered on Ram

3) Soldered on HD

4) No DVD/CD drive

5) No Ethernet connector

Actually soldered on RAM is more reliable.  Buy what you THINK you are going to use moving forward.

Soldered on SSD, agan, more reliable.  Buy what you THINK you are going to use moving forward.

No DVD means, you buy the external DVD since most people aren't even using DVDs anymore since most content and apps are download only, it's a more reliable way of doing things.  If you buy (and retain) the external DVD, you only plug it in when you use it.  Plus, if the external DVD dies and it's out of warranty, it only cost $79 to buy a new one rather than hundreds of dollars for the internal w/labor.  it's more reliable, it allows for longer battery life to not have one built in, plus they are making the unit thinner, creates less heat, yada yada yada.

Thunderbolt is the most versatile i/O on any computer, there is an inexpensive adapter to change Thunderbolt 1 or 2 to become a ethernet.

If you use ethernet at your home or office and you always want that connection, Belkin makes a Thunderbolt docking station that not only gives you an ethernet port, but it also gives you more USB 3 ports for other devices you can keep connected on a separate bus, plus a Thunderbolt pass through for other Thunderbolt devices (PCI chassis, RAID drives, Thunderbolt monitors, etc) to always be connected at home or office.  I have one on my iMac, it's GRRRRRREAT!  Probably the best add-on to a laptop.

I see no downsides on upgrading to the MacBookPros.

Anti Glare?  I don't think it's as bad as glossy screens used to be.  Pretty trivial.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model