or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon taunts Apple's new iPads, advertises smaller Kindle Fire HDX as 'lighter than Air'

Amazon taunts Apple's new iPads, advertises smaller Kindle Fire HDX as 'lighter than Air' - Page 2

post #41 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

64 bits is a good balance. If the iPad Air had a 65 or 66-bit processor it would add even more weight.

You joke but Samsung would totally make a 65-bit chip if they thought it would help their image.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 137
Amazon got one thing right, it is lighter in everything.
Less processor, less screen size, less weight, less apps to put on it, less quality.
Better comparison Amazon should compare there's with the Samsung copy cats.
There's a lot less of everything there as well.
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Worthless imbecile. Get run over by a Google self-driving car. Stop making accounts here. Stop your spam. You want the law brought down on you?

I keep reporting these spams but nobody seems to care.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Kindle fire HDX is perfect for the lonely white male.  Just use the Mayday button to talk to a live person.  Be carefully of harrasement charges though.

Personally I'd get one of these for the sole purpose of using the Mayday button for laughs.  I'm betting we will be seeing a ton of MayDay joke calls on youtube soon

My question is do you get the same hottie every time you push the button (as the ads imply)?  I don't want to have to get to know a different attractive perky technician each time I call mayday.  But seriously I don't know how Amazon can offer that free live 24x7 (video) support.  Presumably you have to pay those folks more than the typical voice-in-India support person since they have to have more skills (and can't roll their eyes at stupid questions).

post #45 of 137
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
I keep reporting these spams but nobody seems to care.

I don’t see the previous two accounts’ posts anymore. Marvin and melgross are doing a good job.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Amazon got one thing right, it is lighter in everything.
Less processor, less screen size, less weight, less apps to put on it, less quality.
Better comparison Amazon should compare there's with the Samsung copy cats.
There's a lot less of everything there as well.

I don't think it's lighter in WiFi or sound. Possibly camera too. Just sayin'.
post #47 of 137
Well then my iPhone 5 is also lighter than the iPad Air....and the Kindle Fire. Does that make my iPhone lighter than Air and hotter than Fire?
post #48 of 137
In other news, the Toyota Prius weighs less than the Mercedes S class.
post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

Well then my iPhone 5 is also lighter than the iPad Air....and the Kindle Fire. Does that make my iPhone lighter than Air and hotter than Fire?

Probably - but it's still heavier and colder than an iPhone 5s. :D 

post #50 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

When watching a 16:9 movie the image is actually larger on a Kindle- right?.

They are almost identical in the longest side of the rectangle. Within a couple hundredths of an inch by my quick estimates drawing it up in AutoCad. 7.78".  I just used (4:3 @ 9.7") and (16:9 @ 8.9") diagonals. Not exactly scientific but the difference appears to be negligible. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #51 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

In other news, the Toyota Prius weighs less than the Mercedes S class.

Auto analogies almost never work when applied to consumer electronics. Besides which of those two autos sells more? 

post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

When watching a 16:9 movie the image is actually larger on a Kindle- right?.

I couldn't find any actual screen dimensions, but overall they have the same length. Since I doubt that the borders around the screen are smaller on the kindle, my money is on them being close to the same with the iPad coming out very slightly larger.

Of course that goes without saying that for every other application the two screens aren't even close.
post #53 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You joke but Samsung would totally make a 65-bit chip if they thought it would help their image.

They made the A7 for Apple. 

post #54 of 137

Specs really are the only thing that matters to you huh?

post #55 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Off topic: Can you explain how we can read your posts if you're banned? And why you got banned in the first place?

It's awful reading your post and responding when you have that big "b" around your neck. /s

Apparently I had previous infractions and a couple posters got under my skin and thus the fifth one. Needless to say, i now will use the block list more liberally.

The "banned" tag should go away eventually.
post #56 of 137
Sales of Kindles are so awesome that Bezos company has never yet released sales numbers!
post #57 of 137

Definitive proof that the Fire HDX IS "lighter" than Air

Apple Ipad 9.7" WiFi 16 gig - LOSER

9.4" x 6.6" x 0.29"  478 grams

Size:          17.9916 cubic inches

Weight:       26.56795393405812 grams\cubic inch

Weight:       0.0376393305439331 cubic inches\gram

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" WiFi 16gig - LOSER

9.1" x 6.2" x 0.31"  374 grams

Size:          17.4902 cubic inches

Weight:      21.38340327726384 grams\cubic inch

Weight:      0.0467652406417112 cubic inches\gram

Atmospheric Air - WINNER

Weight:      .00004667 grams\cubic inch

Conclusion...AIR WINS !!!!!!!!

Edited by icoco3 - 10/23/13 at 10:18am
post #58 of 137
Samsung, Microsoft and now Amazon.. Resorting to missinformation and misleading statements to compete ...
Pathetic!
post #59 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Definitive proof that the Fire HDX is NOT "lighter" than Air

Apple Ipad 9.7" WiFi 16 gig - WINNER

Weight:       0.0376393305439331 grams\cubic inch

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" WiFi 16gig - LOSER

Weight:       0.0467652406417112 grams\cubic inch

lol Those are some serious significant digits! 

post #60 of 137

My smaller thing weighs a tiny bit less than your bigger thing.

Great ad campaign lol.

post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The App Store is much lighter than Apple's, too.

Still, it's a fairly clever ad even if comparing apples and oranges.

in the end…  a low end Amazon offering is what Apple wants

IT's a long game play.

Apple is staking a high function portable tablet computer… that can do everything 'okay' and most things 'well' and some things 'best in class'

The key is Apple is selling 'the one' tablet.

Amazon is selling 'a single function tablet'   You read a book, you get some amazon music… you're a Amazon prime addict.   You pop down $150… get it in a couple days… and you do your thing…. and then you realize that to do 'something else'  you need another tablet, or learn how somehow get android apps to work on your tablet, and then you realize those are really crappy options.   Then you see an iPad, realize that the 'Amazon' experience is 'okay' and you have 2.5 options

1) buy a non-amazon crap tablet to pair with your kindle reader

2) buy an iPad to pair with your kindle reader

2.5) buy an iPad ou sell your kindle reader, and realize that to 10% of the time you're outside, it's not that bad of a reading experience.

In the long game, Apple wants people who are scared to spend $500 to 'try' a tablet… because they realize that 80% of non-apple Tablet buyers 'want' an iPad as their 'next tablet.'   

Apple is like chinese dynasties it's looking far beyond this quarter's sales It's looking 2 years down the road.

This year it's all about killing MS Surface and Win 8.1. and netbooks and stuff like that.   The fact that the TCO of ownership of mac laptops just went down another $40-60, let alone the hassle of installing Win 8 (or 9 or whatever… all I know is my wife can install Mavericks… I know a lot of 'PC gurus' who have punted and bought a new PC Win 8 installed, and kept their Win7 system around, as it's a heckuva lot cheaper when you look at the time spent installing and cost of the SW.

This is Richard Stallman's game plan (except for the closed source;-)...

post #62 of 137
Pretty clever ad
post #63 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

lol Those are some serious significant digits! 

Except I messed them up....HAHA  Too many years since math class.  Am redoing the post as the HDX is actually lighter per square inch than the IPad.

post #64 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

My smaller thing weighs a tiny bit less than your bigger thing.

Great ad campaign lol.

It is not all bad. It really depends on what matches your needs. If weight is a significant factor and your primary purpose for buying it is to watch movies and read books, then the fabulous Apple ecosystem, high quality materials, better resale value, etc. might not be as important to you as weight and price.

post #65 of 137
Yes shame that the Kindles are more proprietary than iOS devices. Essentially the Kindles are a shopfront for Amazon rather than a general purpose tablet.

As devices they aren't at all bad but the experience is very much centred on buying stuff and you can never get rid of the blasted adverts.
post #66 of 137
Quote:

Definitive proof that the Fire HDX IS "lighter" than Air

Apple Ipad 9.7" WiFi 16 gig- LOSER
9.4" x 6.6" x 0.29"  478 grams

Weight:       26.56795393405812 grams\cubic inch

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" WiFi 16gig - WINNER
9.1" x 6.2" x 0.31"  374 grams

Weight:       21.38340327726384 grams\cubic inch

And it's about an inch (diagonally) shorter. Plus you are using way too many sig figs for density.
post #67 of 137
Quote:

Except I messed them up....HAHA  Too many years since math class.  Am redoing the post as the HDX is actually lighter per square inch than the IPad.

First of all you can't measure in "square" inches, you have to measure in cubic inches. Perhaps that's what you meant. Secondly a measure of "weight per unit volume" is actually called "density". Amazon never claimed their products were less dense, but that they were lighter. And perhaps they are technically right when comparing the products that they mentioned. But someone who buys their "lighter than Air" product may be eligible for a class action suit against Amazon for implying the products were also the same size. Their ad confused me in that regard. I think consumers would have a good case.
post #68 of 137

I just got a hands on with the Kindle fire HDX.  Can you say cheap city?  The soft plastic back is crap and the hard plastic pieces are lose.  So crappy.  The bezel is MASSIVE and ugly as sin.

post #69 of 137

After reading The Everything Store (for who doesn't know, it's the story of Amazon and Bezos, it was just released a few days ago) I can say I am definitely not surprised by Amazon with this move. This is their style of doing business. No wonder more and more European countries impose restrictions on Amazon practices. The book really left a very bitter taste and disappointment, and I think my days shopping with Amazon are over. I would rather pay the usual 10-15% more for a product than buying anything on Amazon or made by Amazon ever again.

Ironically, the book was actually cheaper on iBooks than on Kindle.

post #70 of 137
...and my phone is lighter than a Kindle HD (You know, since it too has a smaller screen). What's your point, Amazon?
post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And it's slower than the iPad to boot, while lacking the quality app selection!

I love Kindle... on my iPad.

I use Kindle on my iPad too.  Its dictionary is worse than iBooks.

post #72 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

I find your sexual innuendo offensive and I'm reporting it. This is a technical discussion forum. Not your weird orgy fantasy. 

Apparently you can't distinguish euphemism.  Note that you're the one that played that card, not me.
And yet the question remains: why are you here?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

I find your sexual innuendo offensive and I'm reporting it. This is a technical discussion forum. Not your weird orgy fantasy. 

I see nothing sexual in that post. Maybe your mind is in the gutter. I figured he meant you guys can collaborate on Apple-hating in a conference room.
post #74 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

First of all you can't measure in "square" inches, you have to measure in cubic inches. Perhaps that's what you meant. ...

My original post did use cubic inches and has been updated with more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

..Perhaps that's what you meant. Secondly a measure of "weight per unit volume" is actually called "density". ...

This isn't a physics exam, smile some.

post #75 of 137

I've tried those 'bigger' phones and Android in the shop just yesterday.  They're awful.  Just dreadful.  The software is generally clunky and difficult to use.  Just poor.  Really average stuff.  The machine quality isn't bad.  But they're no match for Apple's hardware.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #76 of 137

Apple's software, hardware and eco system just beats the crap out of them.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #77 of 137

The iPad Air is the best Mac you can buy right now.  Terrific value.

The iPad Mini is also a landmark release.

I'm optimistic about a 4.8 inch iPhone next year.  

(I'd like the 4 inch to become the nano, a 4.8 inch and 6 inch model...but I doubt we'll get that...)

Apple will have it pretty much covered then.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #78 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Good, go enjoy your incredibly cheap plastic piece of crap. Make sure the door hits you on the way out.

Haha, it's cheaper than these Retina iPads, that's for sure. It also have 2x the CPU cores A7 devices have, and 2x the RAM, and much more Megahertz. Gonna have fun with my cheap but fast and wonderful Kindle Fire HDX when it comes out, that's for sure. :)

post #79 of 137

Paraphrasing the Macalope over at MacWorld, Amazon is full of “one metric crap-ton” of nonsense. But jerktastic pundits eat this stuff up.

post #80 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Apple's software, hardware and eco system just beats the crap out of them.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Too bad there's not that much software you can get for iOS or OS X. Unless you of course count those fart apps as real programs. Love my cheap and fast quad-core SLI GPU Lenovo laptop BTW w/ Windows.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon taunts Apple's new iPads, advertises smaller Kindle Fire HDX as 'lighter than Air'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon taunts Apple's new iPads, advertises smaller Kindle Fire HDX as 'lighter than Air'