or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device' - Page 3

post #81 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoda View Post

My iWorks documents share just fine with their MS counterparts. Its a joy to be able to work with great productivity software at home and have no compatibility issues when I have to bring my docs back to work.

Just wait until you try using the new iWork2013 suite.  You may change your tune.

post #82 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anant View Post

Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

I was impatient and bought Pages and Keynote from the App Store last night, since I use them the most (have iWork '09 from the box set).

This morning, Numbers popped up in software update, and installed happily. So, having installed Mavericks on my wife's laptop last night, checked software update, and all three were showing there, and installed neatly.

Sometimes patience is rewarded (and I need to see if I can get a refund on the two I just re-bought...)

post #83 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I would suggest that Office and Powerpoint are not feature rich apps.  

They were feature rich apps by the standards of 20 years ago.

Now it's no big whoop to create an alternative that's compatible with Microsoft Office.

Google docs.  iWork.  Pages.  TextEdit.

What's so great about Microsoft Office in 2013?  It's time to let go of the familiar that has value only because it's familiar.

And I will add LibreOffice 4.1.2 but the upcoming one being OpenGL accelerated and soon after OpenCL enhanced will severely knee cap Microsoft.

None of these touch a real TeXLive Publishing solution [Technical/Scientific, Book/Novel/Novella/Plays, CV, etc].

None of these touch a real Desktop Publishing solution for Pre-press.

None of these touch the power of Octave, Maxima, R, Matlab, etc., but only Windows Office pretends to be what it is not.

post #84 of 201
What has become of the Surface dancers prancing all over the place with their keyboard screen protectors "Click"%u2122

Will they be back for the Surface Pro 2? I was thoroughly "entertained" by their high flying dance routine, although I did not see much productivity going on with the MS tablet...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #85 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

And they'd have to sell only about 1% of their current total iPad sales.

Would it really be that many? 1wink.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #86 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And I will add LibreOffice 4.1.2 but the upcoming one being OpenGL accelerated and soon after OpenCL enhanced will severely knee cap Microsoft.

None of these touch a real TeXLive Publishing solution [Technical/Scientific, Book/Novel/Novella/Plays, CV, etc].

None of these touch a real Desktop Publishing solution for Pre-press.

None of these touch the power of Octave, Maxima, R, Matlab, etc., but only Windows Office pretends to be what it is not.

Poor souls only have Windows and Office when you really come down to it. I guess they have to convince themselves the World needs these two things or their lives would be miserable. It must wake them up at nights.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #87 of 201
Nope the iPad is not equal to the Surface.

Looking at sales and profit (especially when adjusted for losses), I'd say its way better

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #88 of 201

Ok, so Microsoft is THAT scared huh?

Apple’s event was top notch in my book. They act like leaders and confidently put a foot forward. Sure there were some jibs here and there aimed at Android and Ms, but in more relaxed and lighthearted demeanour than this "gibberishing monkey spawn" of an executive.

Only poeple struggling for relevancy and with there backs to the wall could look at a statement like this one and go "ok you’ve nailed it man, let’s run it!"

post #89 of 201

Tim Cook’s comment about confused competition was a reference to Apple’s clear direction in continuing making Macs, hence the very next up was Craig Federighi with the OSX Mavericks

post #90 of 201

What did the senior MS exec say? I tried to listen via my Zune but nobody supported the format.  I tried to log-in on my Surface but it crashed.  I tried to see it on my Windows 8 computer but I couldn't figure out how to use it and had to wait to upgrade to 8.1.  I tried to access the statement with a Windows phone but I couldn't find anyone who had one. I bet it was informative!

Edited by zeke65894 - 10/23/13 at 8:37pm
post #91 of 201
"...senior Microsoft executive on Wednesday fired out a post on the company's official blog deriding Apple's recent special event, saying, "the iPad with iWork is no equal to Surface 2 and Office""

We are so glad that iPad with iWork is no equal, whew! Much better is not equal. Thanks, Mr. Ballmer. I believe, for once, you are right, Apple has no equal.

Does one expect that senior executives speak without being spoken to?
post #92 of 201

Absolutely right.  Apple is spending billions to make iPads a milimeter thinner and a few ounces lighter - who cares.  Users want solutions.  It's thin enough already.  Forgetaboutit.  Give us more features, better software, etc.

post #93 of 201
I'm no tech guru, but Apple builds devices that integrate with its desktop and laptops. Why would they build a tablet that replaces the need for a basic computer?
post #94 of 201

When Apple launched the iPhone 3G in Australia, a Telstra (Aus Telco) exec famously said "Apple should stick to their knitting and not enter the phone business... These execs must be talented for you can't teach this level of arrogance .....

post #95 of 201

I'm on with Apple support right now. I had asked for a refund because I owned the box set.  I received that refund and was able to update from the Mac Store. Until Mavericks.  Now it's shows that I have an update but won't let me update. I'm having trouble with this from hundreds of my app users who did the same thing. Serious issue and oversight on Apple's side.

post #96 of 201
Originally Posted by pokerbear View Post
Absolutely right.  Apple is spending billions to make iPads a milimeter thinner and a few ounces lighter - who cares.  Users want solutions.  It's thin enough already.  Forgetaboutit.  Give us more features, better software, etc.

You through? Get out.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #97 of 201

Um, they just did. Remember that whole iOS 7, brand new iWork and iLife apps on both OS X and iOS. Are you paying attention?

post #98 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Remember when Ballmer called the iPhone a “rounding error?” Remember him laughing at the iPhone saying no one would buy a $500 phone?

Same thing here.

Wanna bet Office for iOS is announced sooner rather than later?

I wonder how many USEFUL features it's going to have over  iWork and how many they actually sell.

post #99 of 201

Microsoft said they were going to release Office for iOS, but my question is......................  Where is it?

post #100 of 201

I think what the Microsoft guys mean is that Office is unnecessarily complex and they are afraid that iWork, which is simple enough for even me to use,  is actually powerful enough for virtually everyone.  Another way of stating this would be simply, "We are so scared that we don't really know how to respond effectively so we'll just try to bash Apple."

SkyKing
SkyKing
post #101 of 201
Apple is clearly playing catch-up. Except the difference is, their biggest competitor has always been themselves. They try to out-do their own products, because that's the type of company they are. They really strive for excellence in product and experience design. If Microsoft would actually create great products that people want, and shut up about the iPad, they might give themselves a bit more credibility. (I've never seen two companies with personalities that so closely resemble that of individuals.)
Edited by amar99 - 10/23/13 at 9:24pm
post #102 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, they're really not credible.

And yet, Apple somehow decided to stupidly copy their ugly flat look with iOS.  Why is Apple trying to copy M$? 

Oh, and it's not exactly inaccurate to call iWork "watered down" because it is.  It's not nearly as powerful as the dungheap that is M$ Office.  Apple could fix that, but they haven't been trying.  People really do want that feature mix, and if it were in a decent program, Apple could take over the office software market.

Do they? iWorks, Google Apps, Office have 90% of the same functionality. For the perceived deficiencies in iWorks and Google Apps there is 3rd party software that is focused and can handle the other 10% of functionality that differentiates Office. I'd rather have just what I need and if I need more I can get at it easily without having to load some slow bloated software using up all the resources on my machine.

post #103 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytotheford View Post

I'm no tech guru, but Apple builds devices that integrate with its desktop and laptops. Why would they build a tablet that replaces the need for a basic computer?

Why not? Apple would rather have some business than no business. Most people only need a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

post #104 of 201
Looking forward to buying the iPad Air!
post #105 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why not? Apple would rather have some business than no business. Most people only need a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

And a Bluetooth mouse 1smile.gif
post #106 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anant View Post

Quote:
... while owners of boxed editions and those who purchased the apps through the Mac App Store can upgrade for no fee. 
Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

Ask for a refund. Free upgrade from iWork '09 and iLife '11. There is a known bug with detecting old copies outside Mac App Store.
post #107 of 201
Hahaha ya sure people are gonna buy the surface tablet over a A7 with 64bit architecture and an M7 movement chip ya sure and retina display. And a tablet that doesn't look/feel like crap
post #108 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

What will be funny is when, a couple of months after finally releasing MSOffice for iOS, they're forced to admit that they make more selling their iOS app than selling any of their Surface products!

I can't wait!
Yes this is exactly what will happen. If MS doesn't release office iOS soon they run the risk of losing a potential monopoly stronghold on productivity software on hand held devices which could then erode their MS office monopoly on desktops. It's so blatantly obvious that they've held back office iOS to help sell the surface. It hasn't worked so far. Further indications that MS doesn't know how to compete, only how to bleed a monopoly.
post #109 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthW View Post

Yes this is exactly what will happen. If MS doesn't release office iOS soon they run the risk of losing a potential monopoly stronghold on productivity software on hand held devices which could then erode their MS office monopoly on desktops. It's so blatantly obvious that they've held back office iOS to help sell the surface. It hasn't worked so far. Further indications that MS doesn't know how to compete, only how to bleed a monopoly.
But then on the other hand, who will pay for MS office iOS when you get iWork for free? This is a lose lose for MS.
post #110 of 201
Nothing really even to do with Office or Surface, but have try a desktop app on a 10" screen. You can't do anything. The ribbon takes up a huge part of the screen. You can hide the ribbon but then you end up with no controls, and end up having to hover over the ribbon all the time to bring it back up.

All you can think of when you use Surface Office is... I can't wait to get back to a desktop. It's aggravating to get any real work done on it.

iWork is a bit better for the tablet specific interface and you can get a lot more done with Pages, but I still feel the need to go back to a desktop. But if given a choice, iPad anyday.
post #111 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, they're really not credible.

And yet, Apple somehow decided to stupidly copy their ugly flat look with iOS.  Why is Apple trying to copy M$? 

Oh, and it's not exactly inaccurate to call iWork "watered down" because it is.  It's not nearly as powerful as the dungheap that is M$ Office.  Apple could fix that, but they haven't been trying.  People really do want that feature mix, and if it were in a decent program, Apple could take over the office software market.

You are utterly misguided. For flat design as well, although I don't like it either.

iWork is nothing as watered down MS Office. If you would use it from the first version onwards, you would realize it was a fresh concept in office apps design. Instead of copying features from Office and competing in price and functionality count, they have chosen user-centric, instead of document-centric approach with loads of features. I instantly got every single feature in iWork and also instantly realized I don't need Office at all. Actually, I wondered, how could I spent so much time using such a idiotic user interface, as MS is offering all over the product portfolio.

And it was all reinvented with iOS versions!

I do realize there are people that want to have Office at all costs and are using some of the functionalities that don't exist in iWork, but they are fraction of the market. I work in Windows centric environment, I use iWork, that most of the co-workers are not even aware of, my Mail, COntacts and Calendar are seamlessly integrated with Exchange. I don't need MS Office. Most of the users don't.

post #112 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

Office is a highly functional software suite, and I would happily use it on iOS. The best scenario for me is iPad with Office. Surface is just fugly and unfun, but Office is the standard. Apple design, apple fun software, and MS document software.

Office on iPad will be (or already more or less is) don in a MS way: everything squeezed and bashed into GUI that will make it unusable. I don't need that standards.

post #113 of 201

Oh My God...

The new Apple iWork simply Rocks...  (Not to mention Maps and iBooks).

The whole OS is so much faster.

The new iWork is a "Coup de Grace" to every other office suite.

With Mac, iOS and Web availability all platforms are covered.

post #114 of 201
I don't really think Apple is trying to compete with Office. It's more like competition for Google Docs and an alternative to customers that are looking for "office like" apps on the iPad.
post #115 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSA8690 View Post

He mentioned Surface is the "most productive tablet" on the market today. He meant the most boring tablet on the market. Because of Windows 8. Moreover, Surface is not a tablet, Surface is kind of small ultra-book. Let him compare Windows 8 to Mavericks "Apple's new OS". Windows 8 has lack of design and there is no consistency. I wanna from him to show give facts that Surface is more powerful than iPad in terms of hardware and Software. Senior Microsoft forgot to mention how are Microsoft programs are expensive. For example, Windows 8 price for $400 - $450 in Australia. Yesterday I download Mavericks for free..

Not a key in sight, no complex codes to enter, no activation to be done, no nag screens saying your trial will expire, just download and install, this more than anything makes Apple the best.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #116 of 201

And MS screws up it's mobile strategy yet again, iOS owners would have plunked down big $ for a port of Office, but MS stalled, pushing their own crap, and Apple filled in the gaps.

What is it with MS and mobile?  They continually misjudge the market to the tune of losing billions in potential revenue, It's like they want to fail. 

post #117 of 201
Some legit remarks, a lot of manipulating the reality. Sure, multiple windows is compulsory for pro work, but they still don't understand that iPad isn't made for that, and they should concentrate on the 'easy' making of consumer devices before pro. Or maybe not, to each company its preference.
post #118 of 201

This appears to be an example of blind management failure.

He concedes that the iPad is extremely successful AND that it is unashamedly created first as a time killer / media consumption appliance with productivity placed second. Now he argues that MS can compete by producing a device which places productivity before trivial use.

Is the world suddenly going to wake up and stop using their tablets for wasting time instead of actually working just because MS produce a device with the all power of a Macbook Pro in tablet form factor, running a fully fledged 64bit desktop operating system, able to run tens of millions of applications? Today, this doesn't seem likely.

Whether we like it or not, we're speeding headfirst towards a world which looks more like Wall-e and Idiocracy every day.

post #119 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

For the record, Microsoft, I had two friends do clean installs of Mavericks in the past 24 hours. Both decided they no longer needed Office. One had iWork 09, the other with iWork 08. The one with iWork 08 actually paid for iWork today to get the upgrades

Do you friends a favor, tell they to stay with iWork 09, the new version is a HUGE step back

New iWork is not "watered down" as MS says, is worse than that, is really a functionality slaughter

post #120 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I thinking Microsoft is scared...very scared...and it ain't even Halloween yet! Surface 2 the rescue...not! LMAO!

Doubt it.  Companies with 10s of billions in cash and revenue aren't scared of anything.  More importantly, if MS had the mental capacity to understand that it should be scared...well, it probably wouldn't be producing the piece of shit that is Surface.  I know it seems hard to believe, but MS really does believe in its vision of a unified desktop and tablet.  It wasn't such a bad idea.  The only problem is they tried it for 15 years and it has failed.  Not everyone is so stupid.  Samsung figured it out.  Microsoft's stupidity is simply inexplicable.   

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'