or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac owners adopting OS X Mavericks 3X faster than Mountain Lion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac owners adopting OS X Mavericks 3X faster than Mountain Lion - Page 2

post #41 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apple has been doing free system upgrades for iOS for years so it seems perfectly reasonable that OS X upgrades would be as well.  I think expectations have changed; there would be grumbling if it weren't free.  Also, as someone else pointed out the free system upgrade is akin to a stock buyback in terms of returning value to stakeholders (in this case existing customers).

Are there any horror stories yet about upgrading to Mavericks?  How risky is being an early adopter this time around?

No risk at all.
It's easy to backup your OS X boot volume (and the hidden recovery volume) to a USB drive using a utility like SuperDuper! before upgrading. If you decide later to go back, do a restore.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

I just got a warning email from my university IT that EndNote and Office 2011 don't like Mavericks. Though in typical IT fashion they blamed the OS and not the software manuf. that need to adapt to the new OS reality….

I'm sure Microsoft will release an update.  I just ran Excel 2011 and it seemed to run just fine, no warning errors came up, but there is an update to Messenger.

post #43 of 96

This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but...

 

Breaking news: Lower prices produced higher demand! ...I learned this in Economics 101 30 years ago.

post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

I just got a warning email from my university IT that EndNote and Office 2011 don't like Mavericks. Though in typical IT fashion they blamed the OS and not the software manuf. that need to adapt to the new OS reality….

 

Were the software manufacturers supposed to release their patches before the new OS even came out? Also: backward compatibility is a nice quality for operating systems to have.

post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWB View Post

Check out the thorough review of Mavericks on Ars Technica. Timer coalescing, App Nap, and RAM compression can help older Macs eke out a little more performance and battery life.

Exactly. That's what a real website looks like. And you can vote posts up and down in their forums. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #46 of 96
Compare this to how windows 8.1 and 8 are released, watch the difference between how windows vs Mac OS 10.9 release, Apple did make this happen with a free release, and instead of IOS 7, did not make a reason not to upgrade.
post #47 of 96
Upgraded my mid-2011 Mac Mini as sson as I could to Mavericks. I might be biased, but I seem to notice a reasonable improvement in boot times, loading all my NAS volumes and opening applications.

Maps is still inferior to Google, at least in Asia where I do most of my look ups.

I would have paid US$20 for the upgrade and been happy. More so when such a great update is free.
post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but…

I was repeatedly told in another thread that 1) Apple would never make OS X free snide it was already "practically" free, and 2) that there was no benefit, only loss, from making OS X free.

So you must be wrong. /s
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

3. It runs on hardware going back to 2007. For instance, it runs very well on my early 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz with 6GB RAM. 

All in all, as close to perfect as an OS X release can get. 

Yeah right, I have a late 2008 Macbook 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM, it runs slow with Mavericks, battery performance has gone down, memory usage has gone up. I am sitting with a couple of apps open and the machine is using all 8GB RAM. I am disappointed that I listened to the people that claimed it was running better than ML
post #50 of 96
I think its free because they don't want the Mac platform fragmented, and they know Microsoft cannot compete like this. MS depends on software sales, whereas apple lives on hardware. Customers now have another reason to pick a Mac instead of a PC. Really smart move, they'll end up making more money from new PC converts, while making MS even more irrelevant tomorrow.
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
 

This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but...

 

Breaking news: Lower prices produced higher demand! ...I learned this in Economics 101 30 years ago.

I don't know if lowering prices ALWAYS works.  Look at Surface products.  Microsoft lowered the prices, but I don't think they are getting increased sales because of them.  And lowering prices destroys margins, so they have to be careful as to what price they are lowering and what the impact on profits will be.  So, for Apple giving away what is normally $20, it's just such a big deal, but if Microsoft drops the price of their system by $100, that's a bigger margin killer.  But lowering prices doesn't always mean increasing sales and to the point where it's worth the damage to margins.  Sometimes, It's just better to keep the prices the same and make better margins, than to drop the price, it may result in less profit even with higher sales.

post #52 of 96

I gotta admit that the weakened U.S. economy has hit my family pretty hard, and I've not been able to update my hardware on the frequent schedule I was used to. Looking forward to - and upgrading to - iOS7 and to Mavericks has at least invigorated my enthusiasm and involvement in things Apple, and offered slight performance enhancements and better integration without my having spent a dime.

 

Thanks, Apple! Lead on!

post #53 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

 

No, not paranoid at all. Tim Cook is up to something.

 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #54 of 96
Software sells hardware. Considering that Apple is a hardware business, sort of makes sense.
post #55 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post



I was repeatedly told in another thread that 1) Apple would never make OS X free snide it was already "practically" free, and 2) that there was no benefit, only loss, from making OS X free.

 


Still not comprehending what you read and still lying about it, I see.
You were not told this at all.
post #56 of 96
It's a damn shame I can't update my 2008 white MacBook C2D 2,4 ghz... 1frown.gif
post #57 of 96

I installed it on my Late 2007 iMac (2.4 Ghz, 4GB Memory) .... and it runs faster than Mountain Lion. Infact, they give me 0 reason to buy one of those incredibly sexy new iMacs.  The Mac feals like on the very first day back in September 2007 when I started it up with Tiger.

 

Apple with its OSX releases is clearly concentrating on the stuff that's under the hood. They always have. And I guess that's why they can support old hardware as long as it's 64bit and dual core.

 

Making it free will convince a lot of customer to consider a Mac next time they buy a computer. Steve's "Post PC World" is happening and Apple holds a large share of that market. And in the old segment of PCs they are doing EVERYTHING to give buyers not really a reason to buy a Windows PC (unless they are hard core gamers or companies).

post #58 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Whomever predicted this move is a genius ;-)

...and would never beat his own drum because that would be crass. :\ 

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #59 of 96

Mac OS used to be free. Back to the good 'ol days.

 

I need Endnote X5 to function properly, anyone with a heads up? Have delayed until my current paper was finished, in review now. Anyone use a LaTeX editor such as LyX? (Need that to work properly too.)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #60 of 96
I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house... And then all the iWork apps 4 times afterwards.
post #61 of 96
Originally Posted by rasimo View Post
I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house...

 

You don’t. Nor iWork.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #62 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house... And then all the iWork apps 4 times afterwards.

That's a unique complaint.

I can't get my free software fast enough! 1smile.gif
post #63 of 96
iOS has become as big of an OS as OSX and Apple has offered iOS for free for years now. It makes sense that OSX would follow suit...
post #64 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I can't get my free software fast enough! 1smile.gif
Exactly! 1smile.gif
post #65 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
 

Mac OS used to be free. Back to the good 'ol days.

 

I need Endnote X5 to function properly, anyone with a heads up? Have delayed until my current paper was finished, in review now. Anyone use a LaTeX editor such as LyX? (Need that to work properly too.)

My university IT sent out a warning yesterday advising that both EndNote (they didn't say what version) and MS Office 2011 had conflicts. Whether they'll acknowledge when the application manuf. roll out patches I couldn't say…. I'm just going to read the details when I run MS updater. Endnote itself may have a notice on their website.

As of just now MS had no updates available.

post #66 of 96

"Free" at its best work!  See if Windows will follow...

post #67 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

 

Hmm... you're making me think twice about upgrade.

Maybe Maverick is design for easier NSA tracking...  paranoid. :err:

post #68 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
 

 

Hmm... you're making me think twice about upgrade.

Maybe Maverick is design for easier NSA tracking...  paranoid. :err:

well, Mavericks is doing sandboxing Flash in Safari, so that doesn't sound like it's making anything easier.


I think you guys are just adding unnecessary paranoia.  You might want to scale back the drugs/alcohol consumption if you are consuming that stuff in the first place.  that's usually the source that fuels paranoid behavior.

post #69 of 96

What’s relatively annoying is that Windows users can still sync their iPhones and iPads with their computer over USB but Mac users are forced to use iCloud. No more USB syncing via iTunes.

 

Like millions of other Mac users, I run my business on my Macs and synching across devices and computers is critical. Who wants to bet the ranch on iCloud? I'm certainly not big on risking my income, home, business, family on Apple's cloud performance and policy.

 

How many times has Apple broken this cloud service or abandoned that functionality? Apple has a long legacy of truly, truly bad cloud service. Who knows what their whim will be tomorrow? They are proven to be an undependable cloud vendor. MobileMe left all sorts of victims across the web – lost photos, lost documents, lost web sites.

 

Too much risk. And it’s damn odd that Windows users are treated better than we are by Apple.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #70 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
 

What’s relatively annoying is that Windows users can still sync their iPhones and iPads with their computer over USB but Mac users are forced to use iCloud. No more USB syncing via iTunes.

 

Like millions of other Mac users, I run my business on my Macs and synching across devices and computers is critical. Who wants to bet the ranch on iCloud? I'm certainly not big on risking my income, home, business, family on Apple's cloud performance and policy.

 

How many times has Apple broken this cloud service or abandoned that functionality? Apple has a long legacy of truly, truly bad cloud service. Who knows what their whim will be tomorrow? They are proven to be an undependable cloud vendor. MobileMe left all sorts of victims across the web – lost photos, lost documents, lost web sites.

 

Too much risk. And it’s damn odd that Windows users are treated better than we are by Apple.

"No more USB syncing via iTunes"

 

"

iOS: Syncing your data with iTunes

 

Learn how to sync the data on your iOS device with iTunes on your computer using USB or Wi-Fi

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

 

Only for some content:

"What you can sync

  • Applications
  • Audio content (music, podcasts, audiobooks, and iTunes U content)
  • Bookmarks*
  • Books
  • Contacts*
  • Calendars*
  • Movies and TV shows
  • Photos
  • Notes*
  • Documents (File Sharing apps only)
  • Ringtones

*To sync this content on an iOS device using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later, use iCloud or another cloud-based service."

So it appears if you don't trust APPLE then another cloud based service will work for Contacts, Calendars and Notes. I get the intent, anyway: cloud synced things like calendars will stay current across all the devices without having to be hardwired and synced.

post #71 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
 

What’s relatively annoying is that Windows users can still sync their iPhones and iPads with their computer over USB but Mac users are forced to use iCloud. No more USB syncing via iTunes.

 

Like millions of other Mac users, I run my business on my Macs and synching across devices and computers is critical. Who wants to bet the ranch on iCloud? I'm certainly not big on risking my income, home, business, family on Apple's cloud performance and policy.

 

How many times has Apple broken this cloud service or abandoned that functionality? Apple has a long legacy of truly, truly bad cloud service. Who knows what their whim will be tomorrow? They are proven to be an undependable cloud vendor. MobileMe left all sorts of victims across the web – lost photos, lost documents, lost web sites.

 

Too much risk. And it’s damn odd that Windows users are treated better than we are by Apple.

Mac users aren't FORCED into using iCloud, but it is easier and it allows automatic syncing between iOS and OS X devices.  It works great.

Broken the Cloud service?  You mean had it down for a couple of hours because they are upgrading, updating or some other beyond their control issue that got fixed?

 

Microsoft users have their own Cloud services.  I know people that use iOS devices that didn't set up their iCloud account, so you aren't FORCED.  They don't twist your arm, they also allow you to sync via USB or WIFi, etc.   You seem to exclude other ways of using the product.

 

MobileMe is past history.  They have made improvements, but if your photos are THAT important, you should have several copies in different places and maybe different forms of media.  Apple's Cloud Service is no worse than anyone else's.  If your photos are important, sync them to your computer whether it's Windows or OS X.  Please don't be so naive and ignorant as to use your devices to solve whatever personal issues you have.  ICloud is useful, but it's not mandatory.

post #72 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

Good observation, I think Apple is helping the trend of free upgrades, similar to the trend in mobile apps. But more importantly, this will help put some pressure on Microsoft who sells their OS to stay in business, while Apple's is free. Microsoft Office is how much? Apple's "office" on the other hand (while with lesser functionality) is also free and good enough to get you started. Great incentive for students.

 

So now you buy a Mac you also get email, browser, word-processor, spreadsheet, presentation, internet collaboration, and other useful dingbats. Unless you're a designer, it's a true turnkey system. This is very much unlike Windows, where Outlook comes with Office.

 

Well played Apple, well played :)


Edited by bloggerblog - 10/25/13 at 3:18pm
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #73 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

My university IT sent out a warning yesterday advising that both EndNote (they didn't say what version) and MS Office 2011 had conflicts. Whether they'll acknowledge when the application manuf. roll out patches I couldn't say…. I'm just going to read the details when I run MS updater. Endnote itself may have a notice on their website.

As of just now MS had no updates available.

Thanks for your reply. The latest version of EndNote supported by my university is X6 (16.0.2.8570), which I have now installed. I also need Mathematica and my LaTeX editor to function after the upgrade. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #74 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
 

Thanks for your reply. The latest version of EndNote supported by my university is X6 (16.0.2.8570), which I have now installed. I also need Mathematica and my LaTeX editor to function after the upgrade. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Wolfram support message board posts claim Mathematica 9 is fine after the update so long as Java se 6 is updated.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #75 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post
 

Apple has been doing free system upgrades for iOS for years so it seems perfectly reasonable that OS X upgrades would be as well.  I think expectations have changed; there would be grumbling if it weren't free.  Also, as someone else pointed out the free system upgrade is akin to a stock buyback in terms of returning value to stakeholders (in this case existing customers).

 

Are there any horror stories yet about upgrading to Mavericks?  How risky is being an early adopter this time around?

 

I adopted about as soon as possible, and so far everything is great.

 

Relevant info: Late-2012 27" iMac, Core-i5, 16GB RAM.


Edited by AaronJ - 10/25/13 at 9:15pm
post #76 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

My university IT sent out a warning yesterday advising that both EndNote (they didn't say what version) and MS Office 2011 had conflicts. Whether they'll acknowledge when the application manuf. roll out patches I couldn't say…. I'm just going to read the details when I run MS updater. Endnote itself may have a notice on their website.

As of just now MS had no updates available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
 

Wolfram support message board posts claim Mathematica 9 is fine after the update so long as Java se 6 is updated.Okay, Mavericks install

Installed Mavericks. Mathematica 9 runs fine so far. EndNote 6 performs properly in the new Pages once the Pages_EndNote_Plug-In-v2 (package name) is installed. I was able to insert a citation and have it appear in a bibliography. My LaTeX editor, LyX, performs properly.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #77 of 96

I have to admit that today I have been experiencing a lot of crashes of Safari, but it doesn't crash the app, the app still runs, it just closes the window that I'm using and it's with AI when I'm submitting comments.  It comes up with a crash screen log that gets sent to Apple, but it doesn't crash the app.

 

Could it be the website blog system?  I'm trying to figure out if it's just with certain websites, but I experience it the most at AI.  Kind a weird.

post #78 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I have to admit that today I have been experiencing a lot of crashes of Safari, but it doesn't crash the app, the app still runs, it just closes the window that I'm using and it's with AI when I'm submitting comments.  It comes up with a crash screen log that gets sent to Apple, but it doesn't crash the app.

 

Could it be the website blog system?  I'm trying to figure out if it's just with certain websites, but I experience it the most at AI.  Kind a weird.

 

It's probably the new Safari. The forum code runs pretty stable on Mountain Lion's Safari.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #79 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 

 

It's probably the new Safari. The forum code runs pretty stable on Mountain Lion's Safari.

 

 

So far, I only notice it on AI's web forum, but I just got 10.9.  If it is with Safari (since they are doing things a little differently like sandboxing Flash), hopefully the error logs that get automatically sent to Apple will get them to fix it.  Since my system sends them many error messages a day, maybe they'll get the hint.  I'll remind them with the Feedback site.

 

So if you see a update soon for this, you'll know at least one person that complained.  :-)

 

But so far, it's only with AI's forum.  

post #80 of 96

We want to sync hardwired. We don't want to entrust our hard earned business contacts or our calendar or our documents to any other company. Not just Apple; any company. Apple is special here because of the history of their remarkably poor cloud performance over a relatively long time period. It's a fairly pathetic legacy. It once pissed Steve off.

 

This is not about photos or music. This is business. We have patent data, product designs and critical competitive information which would be foolhardy to post to a 3rd party internet-connected server. As iCloud grows larger, the big hacks will come. Ask Adobe's customers. This is our livelihood, guys.

 

It's apparent Apple is removing iTunes from the data syncing equation and we believe this is both a tactical and a strategic error. It's been iTunes that has driven their growth over the long run, starting from the iPod. Lessening the software's impact and functionality is a poor decision IMHO. Especially replacing it with a service that they've never been very good at... this move could come back to haunt Apple. Competitors will rejoice.

 

We've tested iCloud previously. It was a very difficult experience. After being totally wiped from our systems during a sync hiccup, Contacts had to be recovered from a back up drive. All our associates' iPhones slowed to a crawl - and some froze - when iCloud made a unilateral background decision it was time to sync, regardless of what the user was doing. We were not impressed. But performance issues aside, it's just not wise to expose your company' secret sauce.

 

Look, it's bad enough that the NSA spys on all Americans. It gets worse on iOS devices when people's fingerprints will positively identify them at this location or that. It gets even worse when all your contacts are available for government scrutiny sans any court order. But that's just one reason, and not even the main point.

 

It infuriates me that Windows users stay fully-featured and get to maintain their hard wired sync functionality but my Macs get deprecated.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac owners adopting OS X Mavericks 3X faster than Mountain Lion