or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another daylight saving time bug strikes Apple's iOS 7, affects calendar display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another daylight saving time bug strikes Apple's iOS 7, affects calendar display

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
Owners of iOS devices running the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system awoke to a display error in iOS 7's calendar app caused by the switch to daylight saving time.

iOS 7 Calendar Display Issue
iOS 7's calendar application displays the "current time" line offset by one hour.Thanks to AppleInsider readers Valentijn and Andrea


Several AppleInsider readers have reported the line indicating the current time is displaced by one hour in the calendar app -- for example, at 12:15 p.m., the calendar app draws the "current time" line in the slot for 1:15 p.m., despite displaying the correct time beside the line and in the system notification bar.

The bug reportedly does not affect scheduled alarms or calendar events, the times for which are adjusted properly.

Time zone support is a recurring issue for Apple's software and operating systems. In 2010, iOS 4 contained a bug that did not properly shift alarm schedules when Daylight Savings Time ended, causing some European iPhone owners to miss appointments or wake up late for work, while Australians were woken up early.

In 2011, another iOS 4 bug caused non-recurring alarms to be disabled when clocks ticked over to January 1, 2011. Apple eventually fixed both issues.
post #2 of 78
Seems to be working fine for me.
post #3 of 78

Isn't DST next weekend?

post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHouston View Post

Isn't DST next weekend?

DST ended this morning for most of Europe (DST has been coordinated here since 1996 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Time_in_Europe) so here in the UK we got an extra hour in bed and are back on GMT.

Just checked my iPhone and it is showing this.... the time by the line is correct at 21:32 but the line is showing around half way between 22:00 and 23:00...
post #5 of 78
My calendar seems to be working properly with IOS 7.
post #6 of 78
DST in the United States is Nov. 3
post #7 of 78

No problems here either – never had a change of hour glitch. Bad luck to those that have a problem.

post #8 of 78
UK clocks changed today and I have the issue.

Just as well the clocks don't change every year then ... or twice ... ah well, gives us all a laugh.

OS X and iOS user

Reply

OS X and iOS user

Reply
post #9 of 78
No we are in Daylight Savings Time now, the switch to Standard time is next weekend.

So it seems that many things in this article seem to be messed up.
post #10 of 78
I never change the clock in my car, consequently it's only ever wrong for part of the year. It's too complicated to change. It's a complete nuisance this moving clocks back and forward, never actually seen any reason why, apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.
post #11 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.

 

That's completely opposite. DST is because people stay awake at night more than they do in the day, so you shift the clock so you get more daylight. People stay up till say midnight, which is sunset + ~6 hours. You don't wake up at sunrise - 6 hours = ~1 AM. 

 

Farmers dislike DST because their day is set by the sun, not the clock. I guess people like to bash farmers as hicks when they don't know what they're talking about.

post #12 of 78
My iPhone and iPad are both in iOS 7, both switched to GMT correctly, but now ALL my appointments in my calendar are showing one hour early! Is this a joke?
post #13 of 78
You'd figure Apple would get their shit together over this issue, surely some bright spark thought to themselves "Damn, we seem to screw up daylight saving times with each major update, maybe this time we should check in advance to make sure that we don't mess up again"

But no, as usual they miss it. Come on Apple, considering all that you manage to achieve surely this is not rocket science to you?!?!?!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #14 of 78

Here in UK the bug has hit

 

Calendar currently it's 10:45pm, the line shows after the 11pm line , not before 11pm

post #15 of 78
Just FYI if you aren't a big fan of changing time zones, UTM time is a good way to travel around the world and stay on schedule since it is a 24 clock that is fixed on a single longitude which runs through the UK (UTM - Universal Trans Meridian). But the UK time changes, so how would I set UTM on my iDevice? Look up Freetown, Sierra Leon (Africa) and set a clock for that (World Time in the clock app). Freetown is on the UTM line, but does not recognize any DST changes.

Suggestion to Apple - it would be nice if Apple noted (in parenthasis) that this was UTM time.
post #16 of 78
According to Rene Ritchie on Twitter this affects more than just iPhones.
post #17 of 78
Mine is working just fine.
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I never change the clock in my car, consequently it's only ever wrong for part of the year. It's too complicated to change. It's a complete nuisance this moving clocks back and forward, never actually seen any reason why, apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.

DST dates back to WWII when it was felt that by moving the hour would help save electrical energy, which it did. Two funny stories relating to DST:

The summer it was first implemented there was a hot dry spell in the USA. A farmer wrote in to the local newspaper complaining about DST burning up his corn crop.

The second funny story concerns Moscow Russia. During the 1950s Central Planning forgot to tell those who keep official time to end DST one Fall. With Stalin in control, no one dared question it. The next spring Central Planning told everyone to set their clocks ahead and again forgot to end DST that fall again. It wasn't until the fall of the USSR that people got brave enough to question why they were living two hours earlier than they should. It was not until nearly 50 years after the fact that Moscow got back on the right time.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #19 of 78

Anyone want my DST rant? I hate DST more than a few of the things I’ve hated here. :p

 

Seriously, drop all this nonsense. Imagine you’re an alien, looking down on the planet. What would you think?

 

“So… twice a year you guys just pretend it’s a different time? Why, again, should we consider you sapient and therefore immune from becoming a slave race?”

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Anyone want my DST rant? I hate DST more than a few of the things I’ve hated here. :p

 

Seriously, drop all this nonsense. Imagine you’re an alien, looking down on the planet. What would you think?

 

“So… twice a year you guys just pretend it’s a different time? Why, again, should we consider you sapient and therefore immune from becoming a slave race?”

 

Can't wait to hear your Leap Year rant...

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #21 of 78
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Can't wait to hear your Leap Year rant...

 

Oh, that wasn’t all of it. Just a taste.

 

Interestingly enough, I like leap years. Sort of wish my birthday was February 29. :p

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippingrock View Post

No we are in Daylight Savings Time now, the switch to Standard time is next weekend.
So it seems that many things in this article seem to be messed up.

 

Yes, the pity is that so many in North America just don't know what the heck you mean when you say "standard time". They only know the term "daylight savings time".

 

This is all consistent with the arrogance of Apple Inc. programmers who think the whole world observes DST on the same days the USA does. Just like they think they can decide everything else, like taking away the ability to direct-sync calendars between Mavericks and iOS7, requiring iCloud.  And many other features they've removed from iWork for Mavericks.  :(

post #23 of 78
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Yes, the pity is that so many in North America just don't know what the heck you mean when you say "standard time". They only know the term "daylight savings time".

 

Americans know the difference, at least.

 
This is all consistent with the arrogance of Apple Inc. programmers

 

Come off it. This is obviously a bug.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
 

 

Can't wait to hear your Leap Year rant...

 

Leap year at least makes sense.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Oh, that wasn’t all of it. Just a taste.

 

Interestingly enough, I like leap years. Sort of wish my birthday was February 29. :p

 

 

Why, 'cuz technically you'd be 20 rather than 80 right now? :lol: 

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

My iPhone and iPad are both in iOS 7, both switched to GMT correctly, but now ALL my appointments in my calendar are showing one hour early! Is this a joke?

No. iOS 7 is keeping you punctual.

Is there anything it CAN'T do??

I love iOS 7.
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

Yes, the pity is that so many in North America just don't know what the heck you mean when you say "standard time". They only know the term "daylight savings time".

 

This is all consistent with the arrogance of Apple Inc. programmers who think the whole world observes DST on the same days the USA does. Just like they think they can decide everything else, like taking away the ability to direct-sync calendars between Mavericks and iOS7, requiring iCloud.  And many other features they've removed from iWork for Mavericks.  :(

 

What the **** does "direct sync" calendars mean? Any half decent syncing solution these days is cloud based. And yeah, Apple "decides" stuff, the products they make require millions of decisions, and then you can make a decision to buy/use those products or not. It has nothing to do with "arrogance". It's making the product they want to make- like every other company on earth. What a novel concept. 

post #28 of 78
No problem on mine or my wifes!

It is very interesting.
So far of all problems reported we have experianced none !

Wonder why!
post #29 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

My iPhone and iPad are both in iOS 7, both switched to GMT correctly, but now ALL my appointments in my calendar are showing one hour early! Is this a joke?

Not if they were scheduled by people in the US or other places that have not shifted yet. Check your calendar on your computer though to make sure you were scheduling things in the right time zone.

FWIW I am not seeing this bug on my iPad mini or my iPhone and we shifted time yesterday. I'm on 7.0.3 and don't leave my apps running. Wonder if it is just people that left calendar backgrounded during the change.
Edited by Phone-UI-Guy - 10/27/13 at 10:15pm
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post
 

 

That's completely opposite. DST is because people stay awake at night more than they do in the day, so you shift the clock so you get more daylight. People stay up till say midnight, which is sunset + ~6 hours. You don't wake up at sunrise - 6 hours = ~1 AM.

 

Farmers dislike DST because their day is set by the sun, not the clock. I guess people like to bash farmers as hicks when they don't know what they're talking about.

 

 

I must admit I had always laboured under the (incorrect) assumption that DST in the UK was because of Scottish farmers that are scared of the dark.

 

I was wrong

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15492270

post #31 of 78
The bug vanished after midnight now 24 hours later...
post #32 of 78
I am in the UK and we ended BST (British Summer Time) on Sunday. The calendar on my iPhone is working properly: It is 8:00 am on Monday and the red line is correctly at 8:00 am. I have an alarm set for 7:00 am and that went off at exactly 7:00 am. So no problems here. Can someone find out what is causing this glitch for some, but not all iOS users? Perhaps the cause is that some do not have Time Zone support turned on? (I have Time Zone Support turned on and set to London).
post #33 of 78
Works fine for me on iOS6.
Daylight 'saving' time has caused problems for all OSes from the dawn of Unix till now.
The best solution would be to get rid of daylight 'saving' altogether.
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassimj View Post

I am in the UK and we ended BST (British Summer Time) on Sunday. The calendar on my iPhone is working properly: It is 8:00 am on Monday and the red line is correctly at 8:00 am. I have an alarm set for 7:00 am and that went off at exactly 7:00 am. So no problems here. Can someone find out what is causing this glitch for some, but not all iOS users? Perhaps the cause is that some do not have Time Zone support turned on? (I have Time Zone Support turned on and set to London).

The comment before you says it fixed itself at 0:00 Monday. That would explain why I didn't see it this morning as well.
post #35 of 78

No problem whatsoever here. Traveled from the UK to Netherlands yesterday and my Calendar app is working just fine, with the line where it's supposed to be. Maybe it's not a widespread error.

post #36 of 78
Again? Embarrassing.
post #37 of 78
I'm in the UK, all devices (iPhone 5S, 5, 5, 4S, iPad 2,3,4,mini) all show the correct time on the calendar line and position. All devices configured for auto set time zone etc.

Don't know if they were showing this correct yesterday, if they were not then they are now though.
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippingrock View Post

No we are in Daylight Savings Time now, the switch to Standard time is next weekend.

So it seems that many things in this article seem to be messed up.

In the USA and I assume Canada by your post, we are a week different from Europe. It's easy to check facts before assuming an article is incorrect.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I must admit I had always laboured under the (incorrect) assumption that DST in the UK was because of Scottish farmers that are scared of the dark.

I was wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15492270

I say, ask the cows!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #40 of 78
So...we'll have the same problem here in the States next weekend, unless Apple fixes this by then. I better set a seperate alarm clock for next Monday so I'm not late for work, just in case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Another daylight saving time bug strikes Apple's iOS 7, affects calendar display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Another daylight saving time bug strikes Apple's iOS 7, affects calendar display