or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ships set of four Mac Pro posters to select journalists ahead of December launch

Apple ships set of four Mac Pro posters to select journalists ahead of December launch

post #1 of 35
Apple on Monday shipped out to journalists promotional packages for the upcoming Mac Pro, with each containing a set of four large posters showing off different close-up views of the forthcoming pro-level computer.

Mac Pro
Source: Jeff Carlson's Flickr

As noted by TechCrunch, the four posters came in a large black tube with shiny metal top, somewhat reminiscent of the Mac Pro. The Cupertino company rarely sends printed material to press outlets.

Each poster highlights a specific feature of the forthcoming machine, including the top air outlet, fan vents, the internal triangular heat sink and a shot of the external casing with Apple logo.

On the back of one poster, a message reads:

It's the computer we were insane to build. The one that turns conventional thinking on its head, then kicks the living $#&% out of it. We challenged all our assumptions. Abandoned our preconceptions. And blew away limitation after limitation. This is the new Mac Pro. It's like no Mac we've created before. And we can't wait to see what you create with it.

Among the journalists to receive the package are Jeff Carlson of TidBITS, CNET's Scott Stein and Jim Rossman of the Dallas Morning News.
post #2 of 35
Que all the Mac Pro haters. It doesn't have internal hard drive bays..... It's so bad, cry cry cry.
post #3 of 35
darthW WTF
post #4 of 35
I cannot put my external HDs on top of this thing as it has no solid "roof".
post #5 of 35
This copy sounds more like something Microsoft would write. I'm in disbelief that Apple marketing actually approved such a cheesy, crass line.

What's next, dub step iPad ads?
post #6 of 35
Oh wow, rewrite the whole front page - four new posters coming out from Apple!!! That's just what I need, not a computer, but posters. And four of them. One to every wall in my room.
post #7 of 35

The posters are nice.  The copy is a bit cheesy, kinda sounds like a car commercial.  Should have just used Phil's tagline: "can't innovate my *ss..."

And seriously gotApple, printing up a set of posters is what's delaying the Pros from shipping?

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Oh wow, rewrite the whole front page - four new posters coming out from Apple!!! That's just what I need, not a computer, but posters. And four of them. One to every wall in my room.

Better pad those walls.
post #9 of 35
Someone is clearly jealous about not getting those posters…….. 1biggrin.gif
post #10 of 35
I've never been considering a Mac Pro until now. Nothing to do with the posters though ;-)
post #11 of 35
You have the iCloud, what do you need a hard drive for?
post #12 of 35

Suspicious story is suspicious.  I tried to verify this story elsewhere but couldn't find any mention of these posters from any of the major news outlets.

post #13 of 35
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I cannot put my external HDs on top of this thing as it has no solid "roof".

And you won't be able to put bread sticks in it because it isn't hollow.

First world problems galore.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #14 of 35

So disappointed in the message on the back of the posters.

Great machine, Truly awesome.

Great posters. Nice idea.

But then they completely ruined it with the alluding to curse words.

Nothing professional about that - curious since this is the Mac PRO.

Apple going from class to crass?

Let's clean it up, Cupertino.

post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

So disappointed in the message on the back of the posters.

Great machine, Truly awesome.

Great posters. Nice idea.

Nothing professional about that - curious since this is the Mac PRO.

Apple going from class to crass?

Let's clean it up, Cupertino.
Agreed
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Well, once we get RAID 0 iCloud maybe ... 1biggrin.gif
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

Agreed

Couldn't agree more, it's totally f#$%^&g silly! No even worse it's b%$#@y disrespectful.
post #18 of 35
Oh no Apple used the word shit. We are all scarred for life!
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh no Apple used the word shit. We are all scarred for life!

There go the southern bible belt sales ... oh well ...
post #20 of 35
Bring the Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display!
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Bring the Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display!

Yeah! 1biggrin.gif
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And you won't be able to put bread sticks in it because it isn't hollow.
First world problems galore.

But the fan is at the top so a great veggie slicer maybe?
post #23 of 35
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Flash: Steve Jobs swore. On stage, even. Multiple times.

Swearing doesn’t win arguments, and it doesn’t have a place in conversation, but it happens in society.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #24 of 35
Quote:

Oh, iCloud allows me to save 50GB media files and does so faster than a hard drive? I did not know that! Thanks for clearing that up.

post #25 of 35
I actually think the copy sounds like Steve Jobs verbatim.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 35
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaU4V8JYdSs
Edited by Ireland - 10/28/13 at 6:28pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There go the southern bible belt sales ... oh well ...

You're ignoring the NASCAR and SEC contingencies, though.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #28 of 35
"then kicks the living $#&% out of it." Yech. Certainly not as poetic as "here's to the crazy ones."
Edited by ddawson100 - 10/28/13 at 8:55pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

"then kicks the living $#&% out of it." Yech. Certainly not as poetic as "here's to the crazy ones."

I definatly agree it's not as poetic but it's also not intended for the mass market by any means. Putting a dent in the universe sometimes calls for a curse word.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The posters are nice.  The copy is a bit cheesy, kinda sounds like a car commercial.  Should have just used Phil's tagline: "can't innovate my *ss..."

That's what I thought of when I saw it too... his line at WWDC.

I don't understand them advertising the Mac Pro in the cinema, and sending posters to tech magazines, I would have thought they would put ads in trade publications such as Video Editors Monthly or Pro Photographer or such. And the ads should focus on the customer and how their needs can be met, not focus on the company and how rebellious and/or innovative they think they're being.

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

You're ignoring the NASCAR and SEC contingencies, though.

Hey, I try ... 1smile.gif
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't understand them advertising the Mac Pro in the cinema, and sending posters to tech magazines, I would have thought they would put ads in trade publications such as Video Editors Monthly or Pro Photographer or such. And the ads should focus on the customer and how their needs can be met, not focus on the company and how rebellious and/or innovative they think they're being.

This. I agree completely.
post #33 of 35

Nothing is perfect in life.

post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

The original line was "here's to those crazy motherf*!#&%s" but the audience wouldn't have been ready for it in the 90s. Now that it's 2013, audiences are more receptive to offensive language.

I don't think it was needed though. If it was in reference to something people felt strongly needed changing, maybe it would have had more impact but the new Mac Pro design makes it conform to the rest of the lineup they already have, just with workstation components. The convention they talk about was dead already considering over 90% of their users already use it.

I think this is more evidence that it was going to be EOLd though. Worst case they'd have lost a couple of percent of their userbase without it. They had no reason to keep making them so this decision was a nice gesture. It may be a crazy decision but it's a relatively small expense for them and this is a great design to be moving the line forward with.

It seems very much like Phil Schiller is behind a lot of this. This is the kind of thing he loves and it's great to see someone with that drive at Apple. If they are passionate about their products then they'll make great ones. If they stop loving what they do, they won't. The Mac Pro had to change because when they stop caring about the product, they don't give it enough attention.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I haven't seen anything to indicate they aren't going to advertise in trade publications, have you? I'm going to go way out on a limb and say this poster and an ad in theaters are not the sum total of their advertising efforts for the Mac Pro.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ships set of four Mac Pro posters to select journalists ahead of December launch