or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple faces backlash over missing, changed functions in iWork revamp

Apple faces backlash over missing, changed functions in iWork revamp - Page 4

post #121 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

THEN OPEN THEM UP USING iWORK '09!!!!

Using 4 year old software?  That's hardly the Apple's way.  Hardware I can understand but downgrade to a 4 yo software?

post #122 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All that ranting and raving, when you could have simply to used iWork09, as the new apps DO NOT REPLACE THE OLD ONES. I repeat: ALL IWORK 2009 APPS ARE STILL ON YOUR MAC. Jesus Christ, some of you people are unbelievable, attempting to ignore some basic facts and twist reality so you can use the "apple fucked up and ruined my life" narrative. And no, the document didn't "automatically save". That does not happen. You explicitly saved it, and explicitly chose to replace the old one, instead of making a copy, or a million other things that would have exercised some caution. Even if that did happen, you could have (and still can) use time machine to get the older version back. But yeah, keep making shit up, and ignoring obvious and plentiful solutions,  in order to sensationalize the situation. 

Do you really think those not smart enough to work on a copy of their document when using a new app version are going to know what time macine is?
post #123 of 216
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
Using 4 year old software?  That's hardly the Apple's way.

So use the new stuff.

Instead of making this a circular argument, recognize what the new software is.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #124 of 216
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #125 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Good points, and frankly the biggest issue long after any killed features are put back. I have also never received a document file in the format of ANY Apple wp, layout or presentation program. And though I occasionally used them myself I never dared sending it off without first exporting it to a format the receiver could actually read.

It's the proverbial tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it. It really doesn't much matter how much damage it did.

I can understand the angst of the current users but it is far more compelling that it exists on all the iPad, iPhone and macs in a seamless way even if features are lost.

I used Keynote for a while but every time I had to send my presentation to someone else I ended up with a crappy PDF file or a messed up ppt file.  I eventually just stopped.

post #126 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Using 4 year old software?  That's hardly the Apple's way.  Hardware I can understand but downgrade to a 4 yo software?

They just mean it for those that ALREADY have iWork 09, not for those that don't.   I mean, if you want to, you can, there's nothing wrong with it per se.

I was using an old version of Microsoft Office for years after the later one came out and I didn't have any compelling reasons to upgrade and when I did, I had to spend money to do so.  Was I flaming Microsoft forums over it? No. It's just a normal type thing.

heck, there are grown ups out there running businesses that don't even use a computer or even a calculator. They actually a freaking abacus or nothing at all.  And I'm sure they don't have near the stress levels we do when it comes to software and hardware issues.  They have ZERO.  They might have other stresses, but they deal with them directly with the people that its related to.  Their calculating devices are perfect that suits that needs.  I'm surprised more technical people aren't carrying around a slide rule, just to prove they can figure out how to use one to impress others.

post #127 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All that ranting and raving, when you could have simply to used iWork09, as the new apps DO NOT REPLACE THE OLD ONES. I repeat: ALL IWORK 2009 APPS ARE STILL ON YOUR MAC. Jesus Christ, some of you people are unbelievable, attempting to ignore some basic facts and twist reality so you can use the "apple fucked up and ruined my life" narrative. And no, the document didn't "automatically save". That does not happen. You explicitly saved it, and explicitly chose to replace the old one, instead of making a copy, or a million other things that would have exercised some caution. Even if that did happen, you could have (and still can) use time machine to get the older version back. But yeah, keep making shit up, and ignoring obvious and plentiful solutions,  in order to sensationalize the situation. 

Jesus Christ, some of you people are unbelievable, attempting to ignore some basic facts and twist reality so you can use the "users are doing it wrong, and Apple is not at fault" narrative. And yes, the document did "automatically save". That's explicitly a feature of the OS and Apple apps since 10.7.

Et cetera.
post #128 of 216

iWork file compatibility for between iOS and OSX is an excellent goal and one I've been wanting since iWork came to iOS, but it’s been at some cost. Given that many here (on an Apple forum after all!) think that these missing features are of minimal or no importance tends to give weight to the view that most iWork users have no need of them which in turn favours Apple never bringing them back does it not? Why bring back linked text fields, mail merge, vertical rulers or AppleScript support if no more than 5% of users want those features? This is one depressing (to me anyway) future for Pages.

Some Pages users here seem to use so few of its features that I wonder why they don’t simply use TextEdit or Notes instead?

Rewriting what used to be called Pages ’09 didn’t require the Mac version to have really basic features removed. In Pages 5 you no longer have three features I used in most documents I created:

Two page view

Duplicating of pages

Rearranging of pages

Now providing these features would not change the file structure one bit and so retain iOS compatibility. The only reasons I can think for their removal are: a) Out of time for Pages 5.0 release date b) No plan to provide them in future. Let’s hope it’s simply a), though it begs the question of Apple’s scheduling - they can certainly afford the programmers!

I’ve bought every version of Pages since its release and (unless I’m mistaken) each handled any document created by the preceding version with absolutely no loss of data. Given that this was a pattern established by Apple over about 8 years, it’s not unreasonable for people to expect the same of Pages 5. As has been pointed out in other discussions, it is after all actually still called Pages which does carry certain expectations, otherwise why not call it “Notelets” or something?

It would have also been so simple for these new iWork applications to state/ask when opening existing documents - “This may remove some previous formatting - save as a new document? Y/N”. This is basic programming etiquette really, but Apple inexcusably didn’t do that and so it may simply and silently trash vital parts of your old document. Expecting users to have to retrieve their old document version to fix this unexpected potential damage seems insane, rather than Insanely Great.

I’m hoping that Pages 5 is the start of a bright path to bring many of these missing features back before Pages ’09 fails the compatibility test with OS X 10.??

post #129 of 216

So tired of people that have no idea how to move forward. You can't change things and change nothing at the same time.

post #130 of 216

I remember when I first met Pages. I was in my early twenties, and like many people from my generation, I was in a committed relationship with Microsoft Word. We didn’t really get along, but since everybody was in a similar position, I assumed it was the only way. And then, one day, I tried something else. A little icon I had never clicked on before, an ink bottle, simply named Pages, sitting in my dock. Pages presented itself, said it could do whatever Word was already doing for me, and more. Pages said it would be easier, that with it, it would feel more natural, and Pages was right.

Pages was better than Word. Pages didn’t mess up my work whenever I tried to change the layout of a document, or simply add a picture. Pages understood what I wanted to do. Pages had a clear full screen mode, with a pitch black background that allowed me to immerse myself into my work, one that I would sometimes make golf green or sky blue, on more silly days. Pages would gladly remove any tools or shortcuts I didn’t care for. Pages would minimize its format bar to best serve my minimalist propensity. Pages was eager to help and happy to oblige. I had found the light.

I promoted all my Word files into Pages files. I became what marketers call a power user. I explored every feature. I recommended it to everyone. I stopped using everything else. I wrote all my school essays with Pages. I wrote grocery lists, love letters, letters of motivation, terrible poems and incomprehensible plays (still in my early twenties) with Pages. And Pages even improved over time. Pages started to record every version of my work and allowed me to jump back to any given moment, just by clicking the top center of its window. Pages inspired an adorable mobile companion that supports its files, so that I could take them with me anywhere I go. Pages was getting more and more appealing than all the Word versions Microsoft had spawned over the years. Most writers and office workers were heading toward a doubtful future, made of clumsy features and unnecessary tools, but mine, mine was bright. Because Pages was on my side.

They say change is a part of life. That it is inevitable. And Pages has changed. Now, Pages has an oversized format bar at its right, one that occupies a comical amount of space on my screen, one that I can’t minimize without losing all the tools. Now, Pages is allergic to the word customize. Now, Pages won’t show the number of pages I have written so far (oh, the irony). Now, Pages won’t tell me how many words I’ve typed so far, unless I consent to bother with a white pop-up screen whose main purpose is to be in the way. Now, Pages doesn’t let me add comments in a side bar, like in the glory days; now, Pages wants me to comment in a bright and bulky square-shaped anomaly who screams delete as soon as it is created. Now, Pages won’t let me immerse into anything. Because Pages is not Pages anymore.

It is something else, made out of its name. It is an eloquent example of a minimalist intention turned over-simplistic. The once adorable companion has taken over, as if the swift capabilities of the mobile world were destined to conquer the tranquil strength of the desktop universe.

They say fighting change is futile, and that embracing it is your only chance to graze happiness. But I tried anyway. I dismissed the imposter that called itself Pages and summoned back the old pal. And then, the impossible happened. Pages forgot it was Pages. Pages didn’t recognize all the files we made together. And there is no easy way back. Suddenly, my future isn’t so bright anymore. Maybe it’s true, maybe it was inevitable. Maybe, like all young love, I was fooling myself into thinking it could last forever. All that’s left now is the faithful ink bottle, banished into a sub-folder, still eager to help and waiting in vain to be clicked on again. So goodbye, Pages. I guess Word will have to take me back.

post #131 of 216

Seems stupid to sign up just to post FUD. You could have spent the time wasted on that diatribe on something productive.

post #132 of 216

Why is that those who are satisfied with the new iWork/Pages and "development"direction are so derisive, scornful and insulting of those who used the much more fully functioned '09 iWork and lament and are severely affected by the removal of functionality?

If you are satisfied then there is no need to post your abrasive comments, just get on with you low-tech day as usual.

It is not OK for Apple to downgrade a product without warning.

Customers (yes all are important no matter the level of use and ability) can reasonably expect an application to improve over time, and to rely on it for private or business use. Otherwise why bother to use it? 

It is not OK to change iWork to make it cross-platform compatible by removing tools in common use. 

The posts that say Apple will reinstate the removed features over time have no evidence this will happen, and are just Apple apologists. Wake up, Apple is now a mega-corporation with no interest in your sycophancy. Being critical of Apple is important to keep them honest. 

Apple now has a long history of software discontinuity, not a recipe for loyalty. 

The development strategy of Apple is clear, if you want software reliability DO NOT use Apple products. 

Read this on brand fragility http://corporateintelligenceradio.com/2013/10/28/how-fragile-is-a-brand/

post #133 of 216
Originally Posted by geojohn View Post

if you want software reliability DO NOT use Apple products. 

Bolding it and cutting it out of the rest to save people the trouble of wasting their time reading that crap.

post #134 of 216
Quote:

Why is that those who are satisfied with the new iWork/Pages and "development"direction are so derisive, scornful and insulting of those who used the much more fully functioned '09 iWork and lament and are severely affected by the removal of functionality?

If you are satisfied then there is no need to post your abrasive comments, just get on with you low-tech day as usual.

It is not OK for Apple to downgrade a product without warning.

Customers (yes all are important no matter the level of use and ability) can reasonably expect an application to improve over time, and to rely on it for private or business use. Otherwise why bother to use it? 

It is not OK to change iWork to make it cross-platform compatible by removing tools in common use. 

The posts that say Apple will reinstate the removed features over time have no evidence this will happen, and are just Apple apologists. Wake up, Apple is now a mega-corporation with no interest in your sycophancy. Being critical of Apple is important to keep them honest. 

Apple now has a long history of software discontinuity, not a recipe for loyalty. 

The development strategy of Apple is clear, if you want software reliability DO NOT use Apple products. 

Read this on brand fragility http://corporateintelligenceradio.com/2013/10/28/how-fragile-is-a-brand/

Really?

Um, Apple fixes their OS and apps in a timely manner and they have been improving over time.

Case in point, many of the people initially complaining about FCPX have switched gears and waited for the updates, which have happened and once they took the time to learn how to adapt to the new workflow and Interface, many are posting favorable reviews.

Whenever a new OS comes out, there is always a LOT of confusion, s/w bugs, etc.  It happens with ALL OS rollouts.  Apple has always released bug fixes in a timely manner.  In a few months, all of the complaints will be gone as things get resolved.

Android having malware, fragmentation, etc. affects the brand, but I guess their users just want buggy, malware potential problems even more, since iOS has pretty much ZERO malware.

post #135 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bolding it and cutting it out of the rest to save people the trouble of wasting their time reading that crap.

Yeah, but at least Apple isn't screwing up like Microsoft's Vista fiasco.  I guess some people don't remember people going backwards in droves even months after the update and just bypassing it.  That didn't seem to stop them using Windows.

post #136 of 216

You miss the point. OS updates do not affect productivity and work flow

Application downgrades and hiccups do. 

Who wants to sit around and wait for Apple to get round to fixing applications and reinstating functionality?

Some of us actually do paying work with Apple products. 

post #137 of 216

It’s a real shame that whenever Apple releases a new product they send out a signal that destroys the old version of that product on everyone’s computer, making it impossible to use anymo…

Oh, wait.

post #138 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

So tired of people that have no idea how to move forward. You can't change things and change nothing at the same time.

That or they have no contingency if an upgrade breaks something that is important to them. I didn't move to Mavericks on my MBP until I cloned my previous system and tested 10.9 via starting up from an external drive. Only then did I then swap the drives around, and I can go back any time.

Complainers gonna complain.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #139 of 216
Quote:

You miss the point. OS updates do not affect productivity and work flow

Application downgrades and hiccups do. 

Who wants to sit around and wait for Apple to get round to fixing applications and reinstating functionality?

Indeed we do. Simply continue to use the older version of iWork, just as I continue to use FCP7 in my work place.

post #140 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, but at least Apple isn't screwing up like Microsoft's Vista fiasco.  I guess some people don't remember people going backwards in droves even months after the update and just bypassing it.  That didn't seem to stop them using Windows.

Vista was poorly received, but at least people could still buy XP until MS fixed things with windows 7. Similarly MS still makes Win 7 available for people who don't care for windows 8. Is the older iWork still available for purchase?

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 10/29/13 at 8:25pm
post #141 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Vista was poorly received, but at least people could still buy XP until MS fixed things up with windows 7. Similarly MS still makes Win 7 available for people who don't care for windows 8. Is the older iWork still available for purchase?

The people who are complaining about the things left out of the new version of iWork are users of the old version, the older version being available for purchase is a lot less of an issue here. It's somewhat different to FCP7 being taken off the shelves when FCPX came out as post facilities often need to add seats.

People coming to iWork fresh will either work with what's in the current version or not - they'll go to another product that has the features they need. Users of the old version should just stick to it, and go back to their backed up files if necessary.

post #142 of 216

It is not change itself that is the problem, it is that iWork is downgraded and no longer functional for a large proportion of users.

There is no file upgrade path for those who used power features of '09.

iWork '09 cannot be got on the App Store.

The OS upgrade to Mavericks is good, but the iWork migration has bombed for many. Posters above should distinguish between an OS upgrade and an application upgrade. They are very different. 

For those who used only basic Pages etc functions, and did not use and do not miss the deleted functions, that is great for you. No problem with this group of users, and no doubt iCloud and iOS compatibility is terrific for those who do simple word processing. 

However, the reaction by more intense and power users to the new iWork, especially on the Apple discussion sites, shows that a large group of users is extremely dissatisfied. Work flow is disrupted and businesses affected.  Yes they can go back to the '09 verision but for how long? Apple support is broken and Apple are silent. 

It would be helpful if users of more basic functionality and iCloud/iOS iWork would recognise that this problem is not about them, it is about more advanced users who were formerly catered for by iWork '09 but no longer are. Instead of slagging of genuine problems and imposing your views on other types of users, recognise that you are one of a spectrum of user types, as are we. All should be catered for as they previously were. 

Thankyou.

post #143 of 216
Well, it's good to know that I can reject all of this agonizing as pure Bull$hit, sight unseen. By now the hallmarks of a (originally just Micro$haft but now Samscum and general Fandroid) disinformation campaign are painfully obvious. Seconds after any Apple product announcement—long before anybody could possibly know anything about the subject—hundreds of newbies, never seen on any Apple forum before (They've all been Apple users since the War of Jenkins' Ear, but this latest outrage is sending them weeping into the welcoming arms of Microsoft) inundate every thread with their very carefully prepared talking points, and won't be deflected no matter how they're debunked.

So thanks, guys: your bitching and moaning performs a valuable public service. I know now I can proceed with confidence, since if there were any real problems they would have gradually revealed themselves over a more believable timespan and been mentioned by people who have actually used Apple products at some time in their lives.
Edited by Mac-sochist - 10/29/13 at 8:49pm
post #144 of 216

Actually, you should state more accurately in the case of Final Cut Pro X that Apple killed Final Cut Pro, and that for most editing professionals - myself included - Final Cut Pro is DEAD.

No amount of updates will recover the thousands of professional editors who've abandoned Apple's Final Cut Pro after Apple abandoned them.

I repeat, "Final Cut Pro - as foolishly re-imagined by Apple as Final Cut Pro X - is DEAD.  Apple killed Final Cut Pro."

post #145 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

The people who are complaining about the things left out of the new version of iWork are users of the old version, the older version being available for purchase is a lot less of an issue here. It's somewhat different to FCP7 being taken off the shelves when FCPX came out as post facilities often need to add seats.

What happens if you need to collaborate on a Pages 4.3 document with someone who did not have the old iWork previously installed? That person would need to find a friend with the old iWork and sideload a copy.

post #146 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

What happens if you need to collaborate on a Pages 4.3 document with someone who did not have the old iWork previously installed? That person would need to find a friend with the old iWork and sideload a copy.

They could just use your installer discs, for one. There's no serial for iWork, if I recall correctly (or was that iLife?).

post #147 of 216
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

They could just use your installer discs, for one. There's no serial for iWork, if I recall correctly (or was that iLife?).

Never was one for iLife, but there used to be one with iWork (phased out with… ’06, I think it was).

post #148 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist View Post

The claim that there's no problem because you can always keep the old versions ignores the facts that (a) there's no way to tell how long those versions wil continue to work, given changes in OS X; (b) there's no easy way to get them for new machines ; and (c) if you have the new version on your system at all, there's no way to make the old one the default app to open Keynote (Pages, Numbers) files.
These are not trivial issues, and responses along the lines of "shut up, suck it up and go with the flow" that I see on this thread are not really appropriate answers to them.

Those versions will continue to work as they do now. Nothing is forcing you to update your software or your OS. Any professional in video will tell you to exercise great caution before updating ANY piece of software that is business-essential. This is true for every industry.

That said, YES there is an easy way to get them for new machines. I did an erase and install for my MacBook Pro when updating to Mavericks. I imported my Applications folder during the setup process from my Time Machine drive. All of my apps came in beautifully. Including the legacy Final Cut Studio 3 and FCPX, and yes iWork '09. After installing Mavericks they were nicely in my dock as they have always been, and in my Applications folder (where I am more likely to go before the Launchpad anyway).

Also, YES you can set the old versions as the default. Simply choose one of your .pages files in the Finder and right-click, then choose Get Info (or the shortcut, cmd-I) and pick the application you'd like it to open in. Right under that, click the option to open all documents like this one in that same default application. Repeat this for one .numbers file and one .key file and you're done! Simple.
post #149 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I've been actively participating in the Apple Discussion Forums the past couple days, and I'm shocked at how childish some users can be. The guy who's compiling the list is a level 7 user, and he's been trash talking Apple on his thread, adding hopelessness to the already heated discussion by drawing conclusions about how Apple has abandoned its users and is intentionally damaging their data, AND HE HASN'T EVEN USED THE NEW VERSION! Of course if you try to jump in as the calm voice of reason the angry mob will thrash you. It's obvious they just want to whine and cry like babies.

Here's the kicker. THERE IS NO DATA LOSS!!!

This whole hubbub is for nothing. Sure, features have been removed. But the heat of the argument is over alleged data loss. All one has to do, even without Time Machine, is go to Flie > Revert to > Browse All Versions and you can restore the pre 5.0 version from within 5.0, close it (don't save!) and all is right again. You can delete 5.0 from your system and go back to using '09 with joy and happiness. Once Apple restores all the missing features, which they will do if proper, mature feedback is given, then you can upgrade.

The moral of the story is, test before upgrading, especially if business is on the line, and for goodness sake backup, backup, backup. Oh, and don't be a whiny baby when things go wrong. This is software and it will always have bugs and glitches. ALWAYS.

Good you brought this up. Nonetheless an “upgrade” that loses features is not a brilliant move, especially when they are useful features.

I wonder to what extent this is a merging of the iOS and Mac codebases – there are some things that are much harder to do with a purely finger interface. For example: in Keynote on the Mac, you can edit an object in a group by double-click selecting it. If the group is part of an animation, that means you can tweak details of an animation easily. On iOS (this is all before the update, which I haven’t seen yet), there was no interface to edit a member of a group, meaning you had to ungroup, edit the object, regroup, then create the animation again – all cumbersome and awkward with the finger interface.

To really get seamless similarity between iOS, cloud and Mac versions, this sort of interface inconsistency needs to be fixed.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #150 of 216
Quote:

They will move forward, don't worry. The question is how many are eventually fed up with Apple and go elsewhere. Apple is now replicating some of the mistakes that Microsoft used to make. Interesting to see where this is going to lead to.

post #151 of 216
Quote:

You know, you're right! As a software developer for 26 years I'd just realised that when we changed our software, the software changed. I'd missed that before.

Armed with this insight, the next time a software company announces an application update I won't expect it to be the same as the previous version.

Edited by KiltedGreen - 10/30/13 at 1:50am
post #152 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Well, it's good to know that I can reject all of this agonizing as pure Bull$hit, sight unseen. By now the hallmarks of a (originally just Micro$haft but now Samscum and general Fandroid) disinformation campaign are painfully obvious. Seconds after any Apple product announcement—long before anybody could possibly know anything about the subject—hundreds of newbies, never seen on any Apple forum before (They've all been Apple users since the War of Jenkins' Ear, but this latest outrage is sending them weeping into the welcoming arms of Microsoft) inundate every thread with their very carefully prepared talking points, and won't be deflected no matter how they're debunked.

So thanks, guys: your bitching and moaning performs a valuable public service. I know now I can proceed with confidence, since if there were any real problems they would have gradually revealed themselves over a more believable timespan and been mentioned by people who have actually used Apple products at some time in their lives.

As Sherlock Holmes observed, "It is an error to theorise in advance of the facts".

post #153 of 216

Out of interest, for those who think that Pages 5 is just fine and/or it will be fine when Apple restore at least some of what they took out, what features must it have to justify being called Pages?

​You could say that to open a Pages '09 document means it must be Pages, but what if all that you saw in your newly opened document was simply the extracted text placed in a single block and any images removed? I exaggerate to show one one end of a possible spectrum.

What level of functionality loss would cause to you ask "How can they call this Pages"?

​I ask out of genuine interest as I'm trying to gauge whether Apple may restore these features. If most people here can create the documents they need with what Pages now offers then that's great for you but I suspect that I will be waiting in vain for what Apple used to provide.

post #154 of 216
Those complaining about the new iWork suite ought to try using the office suites on Android. Then they really would have something to complain about.
post #155 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Those complaining about the new iWork suite ought to try using the office suites on Android. Then they really would have something to complain about.

I think we are just experiencing the social aspects of how something fairly insignificant gets magnified and blown out of proportion and blasted through media articles because they have nothing better to do.

I'm not worried about it.   Plenty of OS X/iOS apps to use in the mean time.

post #156 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm not worried about it.   Plenty of OS X/iOS apps to use in the mean time.

There's a world of difference between "I'm not worried about it.  Plenty of OS X/iOS apps to use in the mean time." and "I'm not worried about it.  I can use it just fine."

I agree with you, but the solution of using something else instead is very meaningful, as in it's kind of a cockup, but since I don't need to use it I'm fine.   :  )

post #157 of 216

I imagine that, after all this hubbub, at least some of the functionality will be restored eventually. For the time being, I'm sticking with '09.

But another thing I noticed, and have not seen any comments on, is the issue of file size -- both the apps themselves and the files they generate. The new iWork and iLife apps are huge compared to their predecessors -- 2 or 3 times the size, at least. Why? And more importantly, the files that Pages 5.0 (for example) generates are unnecessarily large, wasting disk space and making them harder to share easily. I opened a simple, <20 KB Word doc in Pages 5.0, and when I saved it in Pages format, it was almost 500 KB! What on earth for? Even when I saved it in Pages '09 format, it was still around 200 KB. I realize that disk space is not as much of an issue on PCs nowadays, but it is on phones and tablets, and when sending by email, etc. I think Apple could work a little more on using that space more efficiently.

post #158 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

There's a world of difference between "I'm not worried about it.  Plenty of OS X/iOS apps to use in the mean time." and "I'm not worried about it.  I can use it just fine."

I agree with you, but the solution of using something else instead is very meaningful, as in it's kind of a cockup, but since I don't need to use it I'm fine.   :  )

If I was using iWork 09, then I would just continue to use iWork 09, If I was using Office, then I could continue to use Office, etc. But I'm not STUPID enough to switch to Windows because of a temporary issue with a new version of an app that Apple's giving away for FREEE......

The whole thing is blown out of proportion and some people get caught up in it.

But obviously, so far, the numbers of people adopting Windows 8.1 aren't going up that fast.  I wonder why?

post #159 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhopes View Post

I imagine that, after all this hubbub, at least some of the functionality will be restored eventually. For the time being, I'm sticking with '09.

But another thing I noticed, and have not seen any comments on, is the issue of file size -- both the apps themselves and the files they generate. The new iWork and iLife apps are huge compared to their predecessors -- 2 or 3 times the size, at least. Why? And more importantly, the files that Pages 5.0 (for example) generates are unnecessarily large, wasting disk space and making them harder to share easily. I opened a simple, <20 KB Word doc in Pages 5.0, and when I saved it in Pages format, it was almost 500 KB! What on earth for? Even when I saved it in Pages '09 format, it was still around 200 KB. I realize that disk space is not as much of an issue on PCs nowadays, but it is on phones and tablets, and when sending by email, etc. I think Apple could work a little more on using that space more efficiently.

Apple did this with iMovie a ways back.  They had iMovie, they introduced a new version that was WAY different, it was still going through it's ironing out period so they offered the original iMovie which people were used to until the new iMovie was fully updated. NO BIG DEAL.

Same thing, only this is for an app they normally charge for vs the new free version whereas iMovie they didn't charge for.  Same thing with FCPX.

Any time there is a new major release of ANY software package, it takes about one or two updates to get things worked out.  That's TYPICAL of ANY software.

Heck, I had customers that would wait until SP 2 came out before they would update their employee's computers with the latest version of Windows, because it took Micorosft at least one or two service packs to fix all of the problems.  Ummmm.  That's 2 years.  It typically does not take Apple 2 years to fix any of their software, most of it is fixed (the majority of the problems) within a year.  Security updates is just on going.  I get updates to Office 2011 every few months, and it's what year now?  

post #160 of 216

as of about an hour ago, App store ratings of the new Pages 5.0 was being rated at over 2/3 of responses with one or two stars.  So 2/3 of reviewers think it is a lousy application.   Comments are...  hot!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple faces backlash over missing, changed functions in iWork revamp