or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use - Page 2

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous. I am holding onto my 3gs until bigger phone appears.

Everything that could be, is, wrong with this statement.

post #42 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

"Big Hands, I know you are the one..."
Violent Femmes reference. I knew this place was cool. I cast my vote for a 5" iPhone if they can keep the overall size close to the current model.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
post #43 of 115
I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.
post #44 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Since you like that comment maybe you can explain how adding a 4.3"-4.8" phone to the lineup waters down the brand. (5" to 6" is just silly)

First off, he didn't say that it did--he just asked that Tim does not keep going on a trend of adding a ton of choices. Personally, I like the screen size the way it is. However, I think many people will like a bigger screen on their iPhone. What the comment said and I fear as well is that Apple will start making products to cater everyone's needs and confusion will ensue (like it did when Jobs was gone).

post #45 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.

Its web browsing for me.  I agree- watching any video- outside of a short clip- on an iPhone even at 6" is kind of crazy.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #46 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That has nothing to do with watering down the brand- just one-handed usability.  island is correct- his post didn't make sense.  Listen to what I said TS- I'm saying island is correct.  Just that admission is proof enough.

Although I've agreed with his last 2 points now... what is happening?

Hmmmm... I must have left that portal to an alternate universe open again...  ;)
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #47 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeu26 View Post

First off, he didn't say that it did--he just asked that Tim does not keep going on a trend of adding a ton of choices. Personally, I like the screen size the way it is. However, I think many people will like a bigger screen on their iPhone. What the comment said and I fear as well is that Apple will start making products to cater everyone's needs and confusion will ensue (like it did when Jobs was gone).

2 iPod Sizes

2 iPhone Sizes

2 iPad Sizes

2 Macbook Air Sizes

2 iMac Sizes

3 Macbook Sizes (one on it's way out)

I don't understand the "too many choices" by adding one additional iPhone size.

post #48 of 115
Quote:

iPod Nano and iPod Touch

2 iPhone Sizes

2 iPad Sizes

2 Macbook Air Sizes

3 Macbook Sizes (one on it's way out)

2 iMac Sizes

1 Mac Pro

1 Apple TV

3 Routers

I don't understand the "too many choices" by adding one additional iPhone size.

I think I'm saying it wrong. I don't think it will make too many choices with a bigger iPhone. What I fear in the future is that Apple will make their product line too big. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

post #49 of 115
Quote:

1. You don't talk about watering down the brand in a thread unless either it pertains to the thread or you are really confused.

2. If he didn't mean that a larger phone would water down the brand then he/she should have stated that.

3. There is nothing in this article that would lead one to believe that Apple is starting to cater to everyone's needs.

4. I haven't seen Tim adding a ton of choices.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #50 of 115
Current size is optimal. I don't want to have a big one. It would not fit in my pocket.
post #51 of 115
Quote:

Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous. I am holding onto my 3gs until bigger phone appears.

I don't see why people are clamoring for huge screen phones.  A smartphone is meant to be portable and on the go with you where ever you are.  Save the tablet or laptop for tasks that need a big screen.  I would rather see them make the iPhone more versatile  with things like IR blaster, more battery life, stronger more consistent internet access, waterproof, more accurate sensors, and solid unbreakable/unsnoppable encryption for users who can handle strong passwords or a good encryption solution.

post #52 of 115
Quote:

That makes no sense. Your prefer a smaller phone to the iPhone 5, obviously.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 115

The iPhone doesn’t need to be any bigger. It’s really just common sense. It’s a phone, people. You want to hold something stupid and huge to your face, buy a tablet.

But I’m not totally against the idea of a larger iPod touch. In fact, I don’t think I’m at all against it. I’m just not convinced that Apple would do one. I can see a fair few ways it would improve and expand that product’s experience, but it adds an entirely new resolution for which to develop, which I’m not sure Apple wants to do.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #54 of 115
Quote:

What I fear in the future is that Apple will make their product line too big.

I hear you.  Moreso with the new product lines.  People are clamoring for an iWatch, an actual TV (so dumb), and the lesser mentioned- Car Radio setup (greatest potential IMO).  But if they get into add something like, say, the iWatch, I would venture to say we see the iPod Nano drop off- or at least I would hope.

I do agree wholly- that it is concerning to see them still hold onto the classic MBP, Mac Mini, iPad 2 (mainly due to 30-pin), iPod Classic, etc.  Either upgrade them or get out of the line up!

Edit: Safari just crashed for about the 10th time since upgrading to Mavericks.  Ugh!!!

post #55 of 115

Apple has added functionality to the iPhone since it was introduced. It now has iWorks. I use mine to read lengthy documents on the go, as I don't want to carry multiple electronic devices around. Thus, increasing the size of the screen, while retaining the compact form as much as possible,  now makes sense. 

Obvious Prediction: iPads with Touch ID next year for everybody, not just Tim and a few of his co-workers!

Cubist
Cubist
post #56 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPhone doesn’t need to be any bigger. It’s really just common sense. It’s a phone, people. You want to hold something stupid and huge to your face, buy a tablet.

But I’m not totally against the idea of a larger iPod touch. In fact, I don’t think I’m at all against it. I’m just not convinced that Apple would do one. I can see a fair few ways it would improve and expand that product’s experience, but it adds an entirely new resolution for which to develop, which I’m not sure Apple wants to do.

What does need have to do with it.  8-)
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #57 of 115
As long as Apple keeps the smaller options on the table. I don't have remote control envy that's for sure.
post #58 of 115
Quote:

Yeah, it's so "ridiculous" than 9,000,000+ people snatched it up in a single weekend, and that iPhone is the most popular phone in the world, selling hundreds of millions of units. What single model of phone sells more? So utterly "ridiculous", right? 

What is ridiculous is your post, where you would prefer to hold on to an utterly obsolete, 4 year old, even smaller device (3.5") and forego massive improvements in hardware, software, and services, because of a single factor like screen size. Defies all rationality and logic. And no, I'm not against a larger sized option. I'm against being so ideologically attached to it that you sacrifice having a better experience, for so long, for the sake of "waiting" for this imaginary product and making yourself out to be some sort of victim that is forced to use obsolete hardware.  

Edited by Slurpy - 10/29/13 at 9:28am
post #59 of 115
What does need have to do with it.  8-)

I realize that’s a joke, but this is Apple, after all.

post #60 of 115
Quote:

I hear you.  Moreso with the new product lines.  People are clamoring for an iWatch, an actual TV (so dumb), and the lesser mentioned- Car Radio setup (greatest potential IMO).  But if they get into add something like, say, the iWatch, I would venture to say we see the iPod Nano drop off- or at least I would hope.

I do agree wholly- that it is concerning to see them still hold onto the classic MBP, Mac Mini, iPad 2 (mainly due to 30-pin), iPod Classic, etc.  Either upgrade them or get out of the line up!

Edit: Safari just crashed for about the 10th time since upgrading to Mavericks.  Ugh!!!

I'm hoping all those devices are dropped next year, and that they simply kept them around to hit certain price-points. I don't mind them keeping the iPod classic for sale, since it's such an iconic Apple device, and it's not like they advertise it. Not happy they kept the iPad 2 around, but I'm sure they have sufficient reason. 

Oh, and I haven't had a single application crash in mavericks- and I updated to the OS while having hundreds of apps. It's not an OS or safari issue. They've been rock-solid for me.  

post #61 of 115
Why not just offer an iPad mini will the cellular tech as an option? Can you hear me now? 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #62 of 115
I don't think I would MIND a bigger screen if the overall size of the phone does not significantly increase. Higher resolution can't be bad either. But having used the "phablets," (I'm so sick of portmanteau buzzwords), I found that once you are used to the size of whatever device you are using, you forget about the supposed "expanded" user experience, and think more about the actual weight and size of the device you are holding in your hand - especially after 15-30 minutes. Personally, the iPhone 5 nails it for me - the perfect blend of portability and usability.

The only compelling reason I can see to go to a larger screen size is to accommodate the needs of far-sighted users who struggle to see small text. And that is worthwhile. But the supposed need to have a larger screen for many seems to come down to warm fuzzies that (usually men) get from a spec sheet. It is a fad - kind of like the trend of making cell phones smaller in the first half of the last decade (a la Zoolander).

I for one am not convinced that Apple will ever make the iPhone substantially larger than it is now.
post #63 of 115
I hope this rumor is true. I'm holding on to my antiquated 3GS for one more year, just in case.
post #64 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, and I haven't had a single application crash in mavericks- and I updated to the OS while having hundreds of apps. It's not an OS or safari issue. They've been rock-solid for me.  

I haven't used my home iMac to see if it does it there or not.  Regardless- disk utility- here I come.  ;)

post #65 of 115
Quote:

I realize that’s a joke, but this is Apple, after all.

A lot of people said that the iPad didn't need to be smaller. They are right in a way. The iPad didn't need to be smaller, but the Mini sure added a helluva lot to Apple's bottom line and, imo, it invigorated the iPad lineup.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #66 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

But everything will have to be re-written!!
lol- Where's all the old-time naysayers? There would never be an iPad mini- and definitely never a Retina.

Now they will just change their story and say "Apple was planning to do it all along".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a phone.

Apple will not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody needs copy and paste.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

post #67 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Apple is so late to this. People don't want small 5" screens anymore we've moved to 6" screens where you can't even carry it!

/s

Apple was also late to MP3 players, smartphones and tablets. TVs and watches for that matter.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Now they will just change their story and say "Apple was planning to do it all along".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
Apple will not make a phone.
Apple will not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.
Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody needs copy and paste.
Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

You forgot Apple will not make a left click/ right click mouse!
Cheers!

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #69 of 115
I like a range of sizes for smart phones. A 6" makes sense as does a 4". My wife does not like the current iPhone because it is too big for her pockets. Apple should also go the other direction and make a tiny iPhone with a 3" screen.
post #70 of 115
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If I can use it with one hand and put it in a normal sized pocket then I'm fine with it. If not, it might as well be trash. Those super screen phones are for women and their purses.

Exactly.  I'd hate to have to buy a man-purse just for a big-screen iPhone.

No way I'm getting a disco-bag.  And definitely not one of those really tiny little backpacks.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #71 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If I can use it with one hand and put it in a normal sized pocket then I'm fine with it. If not, it might as well be trash. Those super screen phones are for women and their purses.

charming

post #72 of 115

Personally, I don't get how this whole "Apple is doomed if it does not make the iPhone BIGGER" meme has now latched on even with some pro-Apple commenters. 

In my experience, even the iPhone 5/c/s form factor is pushing things if we're prioritizing one-handed operation.  While the extra screen real estate is nice in many instances, it is also a tradeoff because the 3.5" iOS devices were definitely a lot easier to operate with one hand and to carry in a front pocket.  I don't want a larger device, and I don't think I'm alone.  If Apple comes out with a larger variant, I'm fine with that, so long as they don't move exclusively to those larger form factors.  If they go edge-to-edge and install a larger screen within the existing exterior dimensions, even better.  And if Apple does retain the smaller screen sizes, I also don't want the iPhone to follow Android's lead in basically gimping the smaller screened models. 

Let's not lose track of why these megascreened Android phones came about in the first place -- because that was the only way that they could fit the much larger battery needed to power those devices.  It started out as a necessity, and they managed to market the larger screens as a feature.  But, for consumers that want a smaller screen, they have to settle for second tier devices. 

As evidenced by the iPhone 5s, Apple can make their devices lighter and more compact, yet still deliver class-leading performance and decent battery life. If Apple was to make a larger phone, they have options to push the envelope with performance and/or battery life.  Hopefully, the new iPad mini is a sign that if Apple chooses to go with multiple screen sizes, the smaller models won't get left behind.

Edited by Woochifer - 10/29/13 at 11:37am
post #73 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Exactly.  I'd hate to have to buy a man-purse just for a big-screen iPhone.

No way I'm getting a disco-bag.  And definitely not one of those really tiny little backpacks.

Here is a thought, don't buy one! How hard is that? Apple will continue to make a 4" version even if they make a larger one as well. A larger iPhone would still undoubtedly be smaller than a Galaxy S4 and that fits in a front pant pocket very easily. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #74 of 115
Quote:

... What a wider product base does do, however, is increase complexity on both sides of the aisle. Well, all three sides if you consider Apple’s production and development to be a side.

That is exactly what I meant. My concern is that Apple might creating a "wider product base" that will water down the brand as it did just prior to Jobs' return to Apple. The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. However, now days look at the Apple Store. Trying to decide which computer to buy is like a maze for some. Personally, I prefer more choice. But my fear is that the brand is becoming watered down by continuous product announcements. Where has the excitement gone? When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product? 

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #75 of 115
Originally Posted by techno View Post
The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. 

My problem in that regard is with their naming schemes. My stars, if they’d just call it ‘iPad’ we could solve this whole thing! iPad. Available in 7.9”, 9.7”, and 12”. iPhone. One name, always the same. Three ages at once. Next year the mid-range iPhone will be “iPhone 5SC”. Come on, Apple. Were it just iPhone, iPhone, and iPhone, customers would see the difference in the hardware. They have great charts for comparison already.

They can have more products, easily, if they just streamline the names.

When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product?  

Five seconds ago. I know of many products Apple could release to change the world. Again. I know that most of them require a few more years development, but I’m confident they’ll be realized. There’s big stuff happening.

post #76 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Obvious Prediction: iPads with Touch ID next year for everybody, not just Tim and a few of his co-workers!

I may now wait a year as my 5s has spoiled me bypassing passcodes. I simply can't go backwards.
I predict a spring/summer refresh. The iPad Air s.

post #77 of 115
Quote:

My problem in that regard is with their naming schemes. My stars, if they’d just call it ‘iPad’ we could solve this whole thing! iPad. Available in 7.9”, 9.7”, and 12”. iPhone. One name, always the same. Three ages at once. Next year the mid-range iPhone will be “iPhone 5SC”. Come on, Apple. Were it just iPhone, iPhone, and iPhone, customers would see the difference in the hardware. They have great charts for comparison already.

They can have more products, easily, if they just streamline the names.

Five seconds ago. I know of many products Apple could release to change the world. Again. I know that most of them require a few more years development, but I’m confident they’ll be realized. There’s big stuff happening.

Yes, I think you are right about the naming. It would definitely help if the names were streamlined. 

Oh I can drive myself crazy with all of the possible products. I just mean that the public is becoming jaded with the Apple special events every month. Yes, I am exaggerating. But the point is that I have started feeling deflated after these events. Back in the day I would wait for that, "oh and one more thing." announcement. There was the secrecy, so you didn't know what to expect. Now it seems that everything is pre-announced before it is announced. I don't want to be one of those living in the past. I just don't want to see a return to the past, the early-mid 1990's that is.

TechnoMinds

TechnoMinds

post #78 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

That is exactly what I meant. My concern is that Apple might creating a "wider product base" that will water down the brand as it did just prior to Jobs' return to Apple. The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. However, now days look at the Apple Store. Trying to decide which computer to buy is like a maze for some. Personally, I prefer more choice. But my fear is that the brand is becoming watered down by continuous product announcements. Where has the excitement gone? When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product? 

Let's see:

iMac - introduced during Job's tenure

Mac Mini - introduced during Job's tenure

Mac Pro -  - introduced during Job's tenure

MacBook Air -  - introduced during Job's tenure

MacBook Pro - introduced during Job's tenure

That's confusing? What's confusing is to say, basically, that Steve simplified things. Steve also introduced everything in the lineup except for the iPad mini (and the 5c).

Continuous product announcements? Once a year is too many???

Hmmmmm....

For the last 3 years Apple has had three phones for sale.

Next year Apple will have 3 phones for sale.

Confusing?

Edited by island hermit - 10/29/13 at 1:32pm
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #79 of 115

For the last 3 years Apple has had three phones for sale. Next year Apple will have 3 phones for sale.

Confusing?

Of these, which are the best:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5SC, iPhone 6, iPhone 6C, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SC, iPhone 7.

post #80 of 115
Quote:

Of these, which are the best:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5SC, iPhone 6, iPhone 6C, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SC, iPhone 7.

Well, if Apple sticks with its naming convention then I suspect we'll see:

iPhone 6 - 4.3" - 4.5"

iPhone 5s - no need to tell you what that is

iPhone 5c - no need to tell you what that is

2015 will be the confusing year. Where the hell do you go from here (above)? Transporter? Flux capacitor? Phaser?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use