or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use - Page 3

post #81 of 115
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, if Apple sticks with its naming convention then I suspect we'll see:

iPhone 6 - 4.3" - 4.5"

iPhone 5s - no need to tell you what that is

iPhone 5c - no need to tell you what that is

That doesn’t make sense. What year is this, next?

2014:

iPhone 6

iPhone 5SC

iPhone 5C

2015:

iPhone 6S

iPhone 6C

iPhone 5SC

2016:

iPhone 7

iPhone 6SC

iPhone 6C

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #82 of 115

I said my thoughts. I have no desire to go on and on. 

Eject.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #83 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That doesn’t make sense. What year is this, next?

2014:

iPhone 6

iPhone 5SC

iPhone 5C

2015:

iPhone 6S

iPhone 6C

iPhone 5SC

2016:

iPhone 7

iPhone 6SC

iPhone 6C

Makes sense to me.

I see Apple continuing to sell the 5S.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #84 of 115
Quote:

My problem in that regard is with their naming schemes. My stars, if they’d just call it ‘iPad’ we could solve this whole thing! iPad. Available in 7.9”, 9.7”, and 12”. iPhone. One name, always the same. Three ages at once. Next year the mid-range iPhone will be “iPhone 5SC”. Come on, Apple. Were it just iPhone, iPhone, and iPhone, customers would see the difference in the hardware. They have great charts for comparison already.

They can have more products, easily, if they just streamline the names.

Five seconds ago. I know of many products Apple could release to change the world. Again. I know that most of them require a few more years development, but I’m confident they’ll be realized. There’s big stuff happening.
I know like macs, I figure we will hit it sometime, with the scheme
Mactower(mini or pro in same body)
iMac-what it is now
MacBook-13,15, maybe 17 inch single laptop with plenty of minor configs for a $1000-$1500 or $2000
IPad-1 device in 8 10(maybe 12) inch models for $350ish to $1000
iPhone cell/wifi like the IPad with it in different body at 3.5, 4, 4.5,5 inch display(or simular) replacing iPod by a iPhone body obviously.
post #85 of 115
They need to stick a voice chip in the LTE mini and be done with it.

Go big or go home.
post #86 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I like a range of sizes for smart phones. A 6" makes sense as does a 4". My wife does not like the current iPhone because it is too big for her pockets. Apple should also go the other direction and make a tiny iPhone with a 3" screen.

I've been saying this ever since they introduced the 5. I like my 3.5" 4 screen. 3" would be even better, or at least a shorter form factor (put the home button the back, and embed the earpiece in the screen for instance).  

And there's no reason whatsoever not to sell a larger phone if there's a market for it. 

Where are the studies that show people don't want smaller or larger phones? Not that Apple listens to them anyway, then again, they just felt like now was the time for a less expensive plastic phone as they expand into critical international markets that don't have subsidies?

post #87 of 115
There are good reasons for Apple to make larger screen iPhones. I know bunch of business people that switched to Samsung just because of a bigger screen! And they don't want to go back, because iPhone screen is just to small. And I agree. Samsung S3 and S4 can be easily handled with 1 hand. It does easily it into the pocket, and a larger screen is really something nice to have. I have no clues why Apple is waiting so long!
post #88 of 115
Originally Posted by Jume View Post
Samsung S3 and S4 can be easily handled with 1 hand.

Hey, Shaq, we’re not all you.

post #89 of 115

I couldn't care less if a larger iphone is operable in one hand as i have two hands. Gimme a 5" iPhone 6. For me that would be about perfect.

post #90 of 115
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post
I couldn't care less if a larger iphone is operable in one hand as i have two hands.

Always available, never carrying or doing anything else, ever, at any time you might want to be using the phone? Good to know. You’re in the minority.

post #91 of 115
I sure hope Apple comes out with a competitive 5.7 inch phone as rumors say in 2014. I was hoping I would have had one this year...Oh well.

I also know that as a single person, Apple does not care about me...but, they are loosing out on a large middle age demographic who wants larger phones to see more easily. ("no" zoom does not help much).

All I can say is that if Apples does not have a 5.7 ich or larger phone in 2014, I will be saying "Hello HTX MAX or Samsung Galacy Note 3".
post #92 of 115
Originally Posted by expertmagician View Post
5.7 inch

That’s not a phone. Just go buy some Schmidt from someone else already.

post #93 of 115
Ya know people have different hand sizes%u2026. while I'm not advocating for Galaxy sizes, a 5" screen would be very welcomed%u2026 just don't make it long again%u2026 a little width would be nice. I think this would be the perfect opportunity to split the iPhone market into two screen sizes%u2026 you don't need more but two would satisfy most people. i for one would love a large screened phone (not Galaxy note size though) but there is no way in hell I'm going to Android again (been there, done that%u2026. hated the experience). Given that we just saw an "S" upgrade of an iPhone it will not be surprising at all if the next phone has a complete redesign and brings a different screen size. Kinda fits into the way Apple has thus far operated.
post #94 of 115

Google just announced the Nexus 5 with a 4.95" screen. Available tomorrow, November 1st.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #95 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Google just announced the Nexus 5 with a 4.95" screen. Available tomorrow, November 1st.

And since no one will buy it, this begs the question..... why? ;)

post #96 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

[...] there's no way Apple would be leaking stuff like this because it very well could have an impact on 5S sales.

For those of us holding out for a larger screen, purchasing a 5S isn't a consideration anyway. If Apple really is planning a larger screen for next year, it would be a good idea to let people like me know before we get desperate and do something foolish we'll all regret later...

post #97 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

"the first big-screen phone able to be operated with just one hand."

I've played with the Note series of phones in stores and had no issues using it with one hand. I guess if you're female or have small hands I could see an issue.

My question is WHY Apple makes such a big deal about being able to use it one-handed in the first place? From what I see, no one does that!

If anyone wants to see it, I'll video record my 15 minute train ride to work. If you can pick out even one person using their smartphone one-handed I'll buy a 5S.

post #98 of 115
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

From what I see, no one does that!

So you see no one using their smartphone with one hand. Ever. At any time.

post #99 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Agreed. A phone should be as small as possible. When I want to read the NY Times I use an iPad.

This utterly illogical argument again...

"A larger phone would be too much bulk to carry. I overcome that by carrying TWO devices instead."

:no:

post #100 of 115

"A larger phone would be too much bulk to carry. I overcome that by carrying TWO devices instead."

“I want a car so big it can be used as a semi. What do you mean I lose fuel efficiency and speed that way?! I demand to not lose fuel efficiency and speed!”

:no:, indeed.

post #101 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.

YOU'RE stupid. Where do you get off coming here and insulting me because of the device I use to watch video? Try carrying your 10" TV on the bus with you, genius.

When you grow up you'll slowly begin to recognize that the crowd around you is made up of people and some of them do things you don't understand.

Either than or you'll just be a dumbfuck forever. Either way.

post #102 of 115
Quote:

Honestly, I swear to whatever deity you prefer, aside from 20th-century-style phone talking (holding it to the head with no use of any headset whatsoever -- so quaint), no. Never. Ever.

Fumbling for your keys? Why the fück would you try to send a text message with the other hand rather than just wait ten seconds? Carrying the kid? Responsible parents put her DOWN rather than trying to do a one-handed map search.

Seriously, I just don't see people trying to use their phones with one hand. Do you? Where? What are they trying to do and why?

post #103 of 115
Quote:

“I want a car so big it can be used as a semi. What do you mean I lose fuel efficiency and speed that way?! I demand to not lose fuel efficiency and speed!”

:no:, indeed.

Reductio ad absurdum? Wait, no, thats not right... whaddaya call it when someone exaggerates an argument to ridiculous extremes then criticizes the outcome? Whatever it's called, that's what you're doing and it's beneath you.

Whaddaya say we reel in the hyperbole a little an bring the analogy closer to reality?

No one is talking about merging an iPhone and a 27" iMac. We're talking about a phone and an iPad. So, not a car vs. a semi, but rather a car vs. a pickup truck. Make THAT comparison and yes, it is fucking moronic to think taking both everywhere you go is somehow more efficient than just getting a minivan.

Edited by v5v - 10/31/13 at 9:31pm
post #104 of 115

whaddaya call it when someone exaggerates an argument to ridiculous extremes then criticizes the outcome?

“Exactly what you did in the post prior.” Come off it.

No one is talking about merging an iPhone and a 27" iMac. We're talking about a phone and an iPad. 

Same thing. The devices are in no way the same nor suited for the same tasks. A phone is a phone. An iPad isn’t.

So, not a car vs. a semi, but rather a car vs. a pickup truck.

And you want an El Camino. Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

post #105 of 115
Quote:

............And you want an El Camino. Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

I would think that by now, ANYONE that knows anything at all about Apple will know that they don't listen TO their audience, they TELL their audience what to listen TO.

Steve Jobs did this time and time again... he didn't ask ANYONE if they wanted an iPad... he just envisioned one, had it produced and TOLD people that they wanted one... and guess what? They did.

No use arguing over something that's not going to change.

post #106 of 115
Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, I swear to whatever deity you prefer, aside from 20th-century-style phone talking (holding it to the head with no use of any headset whatsoever -- so quaint), no. Never. Ever.

Fumbling for your keys? Why the fück would you try to send a text message with the other hand rather than just wait ten seconds? Carrying the kid? Responsible parents put her DOWN rather than trying to do a one-handed map search.

Seriously, I just don't see people trying to use their phones with one hand. Do you? Where? What are they trying to do and why?

Even my friends at work who are still rockin' the iPhone 4 use two hands with it almost all the time. Especially when texting they are using two thumbs.

Just admit it - one handed usability for most people is NOT a major priority.

post #107 of 115

Or, maybe, since every telephone ever created (up until Android devices started being too big) has been usable with a single hand, people would use it with a single hand for tasks.

post #108 of 115
Quote:

Or, maybe, since every telephone ever created (up until Android devices started being too big) has been usable with a single hand, people would use it with a single hand for tasks.

Perhaps... when using my 4s, I generally use one hand for doing simple tasks, etc... but when it comes time to type? I ALWAYS use two hands. One handed typing is useless IMO.

post #109 of 115
Quote:

Uh huh......

post #110 of 115
Uh huh......

Hold it, thumb on the keys. I was thinking someone might post something more difficult, like a rotary phone. :p

post #111 of 115
Quote:

[...] Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

Nobody is FORCED to make anything, just like I won't be "forced" to buy a phone that isn't what I want. Apple does what they think is best for them, I argue for what I think is best for ME. Maybe what's best for me is also best for Apple. Maybe those of you who say a bigger phone is a bad idea are the same people who said a smaller iPad was a bad idea. Oh wait... YOU ARE!

I still don't get why you so vehemently oppose the very suggestion of any device that doesn't fit your personal preferences. How would the availability of a larger phone that makes ME happy have any kind of negative affect on you? Did the announcement of the iPad mini cause you harm?

post #112 of 115
Quote:

Skil, no one is doing SHIT with their phone one-handed with the possible exception of dialing voice calls. Don't take my word for it -- go outside and LOOK. Spend just ten minutes on any downtown street corner at noon. Ride a transit train. LOOK AROUND.

Apple is restricting usefulness for web browsing, text messaging, video viewing, game playing and EVERY SINGLE OTHER USE OF A SMARTPHONE just to make it slightly easier to dial a voice call with one hand? I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anyone who thinks that's a good idea is an idiot.

post #113 of 115

Apple is restricting usefulness for web browsing, text messaging, video viewing, game playing and EVERY SINGLE OTHER USE OF A SMARTPHONE just to make it slightly easier to dial a voice call with one hand?

Ever read the name of the device? They’re making it easier to use overall. If you were right, they would have made a larger one by now. Or maybe you think it’s physically impossible for them to do so?

post #114 of 115
Quote:

Uh huh......

Hold it, thumb on the keys. I was thinking someone might post something more difficult, like a rotary phone. :p

Haha, yeah I should have....!

post #115 of 115
Quote:

Ever read the name of the device?

Oh, you don't wanna go down THAT road. Wanna talk about a device called iPad?

Quote:

They’re making it easier to use overall.

I strongly disagree, and have given specific examples of how and why. Your argument has no validity without similar support. Saying "Yes it does! Yes it does! Yes it does!" does not make it so.

Quote:

If you were right, they would have made a larger one by now.

Not necessarily. Apple has been late to the party before, and other companies have had tremendous success with products Apple doesn't make. Apple is not omnipotent or infallible.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use