or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim

Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim

post #1 of 8

Hi,

3 days ago I purchased the highest end Macbook Pro 15".  The computer is amazing, fast, and light.  However, one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 3 year old Macbook Pro was due to the claim of up to 8 hours of life (using wireless web or itunes).  I am getting a little over half that with just email (Apple Mail program) and Safari open.

I've had my computer diagnosed at the Apple store and it checked out.  I've had a couple of calls with their level 2 tech support and they went over activity monitor items with me and tried a bunch of things, but the battery is still only doing about half of what Apple claims.  How is this possible?

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/      <- see the battery life info. there.

Is anyone else having this issue with the newest model Macbook Pro's?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Russ

post #2 of 8

Do this.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #3 of 8

I am using it lightly with mainly just Safari and Mail open.  Of course wi-fi is activated, but on Apple's site, they say that the battery is rated at 8 hours for this model with wi-fi use.  Is anyone else having this issue?

post #4 of 8

Apple never tells you the truth about the battery life in their computers . They always exaggerate somewhat I owned MBP and Airs and I know from experience.

post #5 of 8

Hi Russ,

Not sure if you've been able to resolve your problem, but I was having the EXACT same issue. When I first brought the new Macbook home the battery life was as claimed but after having installed Office Suite, Adobe CS etc the battery life plummeted to only 3 hours on wi-fi even if I was only running a browser and Skype.

I was about to take it back to the Apple Store, but decided to try a few settings changes first and the incredibly simple thing that worked for me: Under energy saving preferences I checked the box to activate the "Power Nap".

I now easily get 7+ hours on wi-fi (on my 2.6 ghz model they only claim 8, so close enough!) while running multiple browsers, Photoshop, FTP etc etc.

Hope it works for you!

Cheers, Julie

post #6 of 8

Julie,

Wow, thanks!   I just did that and it increased the battery life by almost double.  Thank you very much for sharing!

-Russ

post #7 of 8

Hi there, 

I have the same problem and I live in Bulgaria where the nearest Apple Center is 140 km away from me. I have the same early 2013 Mac Book Pro Retina display. But the battery lasts  no more than 2 hours. I use on line video clips, Skype, Video player for movies and browse the Net.... Did you find any solution to fix that. I just click on that Power Nap, and started to pray it will help ....

Thanks

Apia

post #8 of 8

Flash when you view videos takes up a lot of battery usage.What browser do you use?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim