or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim

Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim

post #1 of 8

Hi,

3 days ago I purchased the highest end Macbook Pro 15".  The computer is amazing, fast, and light.  However, one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 3 year old Macbook Pro was due to the claim of up to 8 hours of life (using wireless web or itunes).  I am getting a little over half that with just email (Apple Mail program) and Safari open.

I've had my computer diagnosed at the Apple store and it checked out.  I've had a couple of calls with their level 2 tech support and they went over activity monitor items with me and tried a bunch of things, but the battery is still only doing about half of what Apple claims.  How is this possible?

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/      <- see the battery life info. there.

Is anyone else having this issue with the newest model Macbook Pro's?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Russ

post #2 of 8

Do this.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #3 of 8

I am using it lightly with mainly just Safari and Mail open.  Of course wi-fi is activated, but on Apple's site, they say that the battery is rated at 8 hours for this model with wi-fi use.  Is anyone else having this issue?

post #4 of 8

Apple never tells you the truth about the battery life in their computers . They always exaggerate somewhat I owned MBP and Airs and I know from experience.

post #5 of 8

Hi Russ,

Not sure if you've been able to resolve your problem, but I was having the EXACT same issue. When I first brought the new Macbook home the battery life was as claimed but after having installed Office Suite, Adobe CS etc the battery life plummeted to only 3 hours on wi-fi even if I was only running a browser and Skype.

I was about to take it back to the Apple Store, but decided to try a few settings changes first and the incredibly simple thing that worked for me: Under energy saving preferences I checked the box to activate the "Power Nap".

I now easily get 7+ hours on wi-fi (on my 2.6 ghz model they only claim 8, so close enough!) while running multiple browsers, Photoshop, FTP etc etc.

Hope it works for you!

Cheers, Julie

post #6 of 8

Julie,

Wow, thanks!   I just did that and it increased the battery life by almost double.  Thank you very much for sharing!

-Russ

post #7 of 8

Hi there, 

I have the same problem and I live in Bulgaria where the nearest Apple Center is 140 km away from me. I have the same early 2013 Mac Book Pro Retina display. But the battery lasts  no more than 2 hours. I use on line video clips, Skype, Video player for movies and browse the Net.... Did you find any solution to fix that. I just click on that Power Nap, and started to pray it will help ....

Thanks

Apia

post #8 of 8

Flash when you view videos takes up a lot of battery usage.What browser do you use?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim