or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google deploying floating structures at ports on east and west coast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google deploying floating structures at ports on east and west coast - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmaster View Post

It's the Google Borg v1.0 scratch that Beta. They really are branching out these days.

My thought, exactly. They intend to assimilate us.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Floating data centers free from the prying eyes and dictates of our out-of-control government? I'm all for it.

Whatever connected to Google will never be free from prying eyes. Government or not.

I'm surprised nobody commented this: what an ugly ship!
post #43 of 61
Larry Page challenges for the Americas Cup !
post #44 of 61
And cue the data pirates.
post #45 of 61
It's Google's Ark. The rest of us are goners.
post #46 of 61

Zombie breeding facilities.  You read it here first.  'Do no evil' my @$$.

 

(That's much more likely than that "Google Glass marketing platform" BS.)

post #47 of 61
Probably Google's re- education facilities. They will "teach" customers not to value their privacy.
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBrazil View Post

So, I find it hard to believe no government agency knows exactly what this is. From a homeland security standpoint, you would think you could not just build a huge floating barge, park one on each coast, and not have someone demand to know exactly what it is. Even less sinister, you would think that you could not build a monster floating structure in SF Bay and not have SF or at least California not know exactly what it is for environmental compliance reasons or complying with work safety rules during construction and other regulations.

Quote:
"We know what's inside," said a Portland Coast Guard station spokesman. "We know it's not a threat to public safety here in Portland. It's following all regulations."
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
"We know what's inside," said a Portland Coast Guard station spokesman. "We know it's not a threat to public safety here in Portland. It's following all regulations."

I.e.: Google's checks cleared 1smile.gif
post #50 of 61
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
"We know what's inside," said a Portland Coast Guard station spokesman. "We know it's not a threat to public safety here in Portland. It's following all regulations."

 

Portland, sure. Nothing’s a threat to Portland. What about the rest of the planet?!

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #51 of 61
They're going to fill them with unsold google TVs and sink them offshore as artificial reefs.

Either that or use them to "farm" giant glass tanks of Google Meat.

Just remember what Soylent Green was made from...
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Portland, sure. Nothing’s a threat to Portland.

You've missed a lot of Stephen King stories haven't you? In horror movies it seems like everything is a threat to Maine.1tongue.gif

Don'cha love a good mystery tho? According to news stories both the State of California and the Coast Guard know what's on those barges but signed NDA's before boarding for inspections. Welders who worked on the project for months won't say a word about what they worked on. The barge owners won't even acknowledge that Google is involved in any way. Chain-link fences, security guards, unidentified electronics put on board, people working around the clock. . . even government inspectors reportedly had to surrender cell phones before entering!

That's how you "double-down on secrecy" 1smoking.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/30/13 at 8:29am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBrazil View Post

So, I find it hard to believe no government agency knows exactly what this is. From a homeland security standpoint, you would think you could not just build a huge floating barge, park one on each coast, and not have someone demand to know exactly what it is. Even less sinister, you would think that you could not build a monster floating structure in SF Bay and not have SF or at least California not know exactly what it is for environmental compliance reasons or complying with work safety rules during construction and other regulations.

Quote:
"We know what's inside," said a Portland Coast Guard station spokesman. "We know it's not a threat to public safety here in Portland. It's following all regulations."

I don't get it, the poster is talking about SF and you're quoting about Portland...
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't get it, the poster is talking about SF and you're quoting about Portland...

Yeah I think you really do get it despite your post. The Coast Guard isn't state-specific but rather an arm of the US Military covering both California and Maine. Portland is also a pertinent mention due to the AI article commenting on both the Cali and Maine barges. If you'd like a further link to help "get it" more thoroughly there's this one from Reuters where California state inspectors are reported to have visited.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-google-mystery-idUSBRE99T02L20131030
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #55 of 61
Factories for converting people to cybermen?
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Taking that barge down to Mavericks WOULD be a gamble… have you seen those waves??

Well I assumed it would be the Mississippi Brett, Bart, Beau and Brent would be gambling on (hey it was my joke).
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergonCube View Post

It's Google's Ark. The rest of us are goners.

Oh Shit!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #58 of 61
If they're data centers, there needs to be fiber optic bundles going to it.

Sure, you can have wireless transmission of data, such as satellite or microwave, but where is the dish or antenna? Also, satellite and microwave won't nearly have the capacity of fiber bundles.
post #59 of 61
I'm not saying that it's aliens%u2026 but it's aliens 1wink.gif
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

I'm not saying that it's aliens%u2026 but it's aliens 1wink.gif

Makes sense. Google is mapping the human body from the inside out. Aliens perform anal probing.
post #61 of 61
It's now reported those barges are huge "transformers", soon to morph into platforms for introducing Google Glass to a very specific audience.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google deploying floating structures at ports on east and west coast