or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined - Page 5

post #161 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

They are a MONTH faster to 40M than the S3 was.... guess what that means? Faster growth.

 

The Note 3 is currently shipping TWICE as fast as the Note 2.... guess what that means? Faster growth.

 

What am I missing that you aren't?

 

...and iPhones easily outsell both.

 

So what does Samsung count as an "S4", S4, S4 LTE, S4 LTE Class 4, S4 Active, S4 Mini?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #162 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

...and iPhones easily outsell both.

 

So what does Samsung count as an "S4", S4, S4 LTE, S4 LTE Class 4, S4 Active, S4 Mini?

 

I like how you say "iPhones".... yes they do... ESPECIALLY since everyone throws in 4S, 5, 5C and 5S sales in one large bucket.

 

And nope... Samsung's sales for the S4 were only for the standard S4.... I won't link an article. Don't want to upset the "bees" :)

post #163 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts bees View Post

He
he's a samsung low end user and apologist. Nothing matters to him apparently.

Laggy interface
Inferior screen quality
Slow in practically every way performance
Crippling ecosystem
Fragmented OS
Inferior hardware
Viruses
Etc etc etc.

But don't let that fool him.

Emerging markets class things up when everything else fails!!

Watch out.. Here he comes with facts and numbers.. Get out your notepad!

 

You left out absurdly low onboard memory, especially after Samsung duplicates all the Google services with their own brand of crap.

 

Selling an S4 as a 16GB phone is ridiculous when it ships with a little over 9GB free and that's if you delete everything you possibly can without voiding the warranty by rooting it..

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #164 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

I don't know, ask Google.

 

I already know the answer... I was hoping someone else would realize how stupid their argument was about Samsung's tax being less than Apple's... yeah right.

 

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2733381992001/sec-ends-probe-of-apples-102b-in-offshore-cash/ if anyone is interested, it's 102 BILLION.

post #165 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

I like how you say "iPhones".... yes they do... ESPECIALLY since everyone throws in 4S, 5, 5C and 5S sales in one large bucket.

 

And nope... Samsung's sales for the S4 were only for the standard S4.... I won't link an article. Don't want to upset the "bees" :)

 

"Standard" S4, would that be the Qualcomm LTE model or the Octocore 3G model?

 

Here's the source you referred to.

 

P.S. It's in Korean

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #166 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

You left out absurdly low onboard memory, especially after Samsung duplicates all the Google services with their own brand of crap.

 

Selling an S4 as a 16GB phone is ridiculous when it ships with a little over 9GB free and that's if you delete everything you possibly can without voiding the warranty by rooting it..

 

This is true... VERY true. I agree completely... the bloatware Samsung installs on their phones is ridiculous. Only bonus I can see here is that I can EASILY install an insanely cheap micro-SD into the phone and get tons of CHEAP storage on which to play movies on the go, whereas that cannot be done with my iPhone.

post #167 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

I already know the answer... I was hoping someone else would realize how stupid their argument was about Samsung's tax being less than Apple's... yeah right.

 

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2733381992001/sec-ends-probe-of-apples-102b-in-offshore-cash/ if anyone is interested, it's 102 BILLION.

 

I meant ask Google about avoiding tax, they do it better than Apple.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #168 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

"Standard" S4, would that be the Qualcomm LTE model or the Octocore 3G model?

 

Here's the source.

 

P.S. It's in Korean

 

#1 - Sorry, but that is NOT the source... that article is talking about the Note 3, NOT the S4.

 

#2 - BOTH of those are considered "standard" S4s... I realize they both have different processors, which Apple would never do(Samsung did... so what?) HOWEVER trying to differentiate two phones based on their cellular connectivity is absurd. If that is the case, then do we need to start breaking down iPhone sales into separate categories as well?

post #169 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

I meant ask Google about avoiding tax, they do it better than Apple.

 

LOL, I thought you meant GOOGLE it... sorry, I misunderstood. ;)

 

As far as who "hides" the most... I have no clue, I just know they ALL do it. Apple was just the one that came to mind because of them being in the new recently.

post #170 of 216
I'm with qwerty on this one, I don't understand what burst means with "emerging markets" "cheap phones".
Qwerty is not talking about the products, he's talking about profits. If you have arguments to refute that their earnings are "wrong" then say something, don't ask someone to address an issue that has nothing to do with the point they were making if you are not adding anything yourself.

At first I was annoyed by Qwerty, but after reading burst's answers to his simple posts I just couldn't take burst's posts.
post #171 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Yes it was... it had only sold 30 Million @ 6 months. And the Note 3 has sold 5 Million in a month, whereas it took two months for the Note 2.

So why do S4 users use flickr so much less than S3 users? Why are Note 3 users not using flickr at all ?
flick dot com/cameras/samsung/
post #172 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

I already know the answer... I was hoping someone else would realize how stupid their argument was about Samsung's tax being less than Apple's... yeah right.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2733381992001/sec-ends-probe-of-apples-102b-in-offshore-cash/ if anyone is interested, it's 102 BILLION.

Not hiding. Money made outside the US. Just not being repatriated at the current tax rate.
post #173 of 216

Here Samsung's more recent smart phones are selling discounted.

Samsung buyers are simply attracted to cheap, with little or no down payment.

Even 3+ yr older Samsung smart phones are still being pushed. My 3 yr iPhone4 contract ends in Jan, my carrier has offered me a Samsung phone now (early no penalty) with nothing down, in fact they will pay me $25 to take it!

post #174 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

LOL, I thought you meant GOOGLE it... sorry, I misunderstood. 1wink.gif

As far as who "hides" the most... I have no clue, I just know they ALL do it. Apple was just the one that came to mind because of them being in the new recently.

When you talk about Samsung's profits/margins/sales/whatever, do you mean Samsung mobile? Samsung fab? Samsung group? We cannot compare Apples to grapes (see what I did here? ;-) )
post #175 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunys View Post

When you talk about Samsung's profits/margins/sales/whatever, do you mean Samsung mobile? Samsung fab? Samsung group? We cannot compare Apples to grapes (see what I did here? ;-) )

I was actually referring to Samsung as a whole. Just like I am referring to Apple as a whole.
post #176 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

LOL... and HOW much of Apple's money is stored off shore for these "tax write off" purposes??

 Just because Apple has about $100 billion in cash off shore doesn't mean that they didn't pay taxes on any of it. In fact Apple paid the tax in the country the money was made. They are only avoiding US tax by keeping the money off shore. I'm sure some of that money was taxed at a lower rate than Korea and some more than that of Korea. But you thinking that Apple didn't pay any tax on that money just show that you really don't understand how to read the financial statement of a company. And you thinking that it's a "tax write off" proves it even more. 

 

BTW- Foreign sales is about 60% of Apple revenue. That means that 40% of Apple revenue is taxed in the US. Apple do not move money they make in the US off shore to avoid paying taxes on it. That would be illegal and the US has already came out and stated that Apple was not doing anything illegal when they concluded their investigation of Apple off shore money. But I think (though Apple doesn't break it down exactly), the revenue from iPhones alone is greater in the US than from foreign sales. It's known that the US is Apple biggest market for the iPhone.  

post #177 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post

So why do S4 users use flickr so much less than S3 users? Why are Note 3 users not using flickr at all ?
flick dot com/cameras/samsung/

I'm guessing because the S4 has been out for 6 months as opposed to a year and 6 months for the S3? Or maybe S4 users don't use Flickr? I honestly don't know. And to tell you the truth I really couldn't care less, lol. I am NOT a Samsung fan. I will repeat until that gets through. I was simply posting some links so that you could be informed and dispell some wrong information.
post #178 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

As a consumer they are all over priced in my opinion.

 

In Apple's  and other companies' opinion... well, they'd be stupid to price something lower when they know they'll do better financially if they price it higher.

 

 

what??
Apple is selling the 16 GB version for a profit of less than 1 entire dollar.
is that overpriced??
post #179 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

I see that only one person has tried to decipher Apple's channel inventory for me.

 

If nobody knows what it means then I'm wondering how relevant that data really is to the masses.

Apple channel inventory is use to buffer any production problem or any anticipated big jump in sales due to promotions or seasonal event like Christmas. If there's a problem with production like yield problem, fire, earthquake, worker strike, etc., Apple would want to have enough inventory in their channel to meet the demand, until the production problem is fixed. Since Christmas is around the quarter, I'm sure Apple would want more inventory in their channel now, to meet the upcoming demand. Apple just can't double production a couple of months before Christmas, when they already at near max. So it's no surprise that Apple has increased their channel inventory before the Christmas quarter.

 

As far as I know, Apple does not count channel inventory as "sold". That would be pointless because most of Apple inventory is sitting in their Apple stores or in their own warehouses. Apple can't sell it to themselves and report that they sold it. Though they might count third party sellers inventory as sold. But since most third party sellers often run out of inventory, it safe to assume that all their inventory will be eventually be sold sooner than later. 

 

Unlike Samsung, whose inventory channel is nearly all third party. So Samsung counts channel inventory as sold, even though it may be sitting in a Best Buy warehouse and may never be sold. Or at a least sold at any where near their originall retail price. This means that Samsung can increase channel inventory and make it look like they sold a lot more than they actually did. Dell was a master at this. Dell would stuff the inventory before the end of the quarter to make sure they meet their numbers and then offer a rebate the next quarter to get rid of the inventory. And then they don't mail out the rebate until the quarter after that, so all the revenue from the sale shows up in the quarter it's sold. And then they would stuff the channel again. It usually takes a quarter or two, but we eventually we find out how much "channel stuffing" was done when we see a rebates, big reduction in price or buy one get one free deals to get rid of unsold inventory. Or a write down in earnings because they had to buy back any unsold inventory. But sometime all of these events may just mean that the company misjudged demand. Like MS did with their Surface.  

 

It means nothing to the masses. But share holders knows that there are analysis that likes to use or misuse the data to influence AAPL stock.

post #180 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

But... last quarter they DIDN'T earn more. How many times does it have to be posted.... Samsung's NET PROFIT was HIGHER than Apple's. Not only that, but Samsung's YOY was WAAAAY up, and Apple's was down.

 

Apple is NOT doomed, not in the foreseeable future anyhow, but the FACT is.... they only made 92% as much money this year for the same quarter, whereas Samsung made 130% as much.... making their profits VERY close, BUT Apple's NET profit was "only" 96% what Samsung's was.

 

Ok einstein.

Apple set a record for sales this quarter( a personal record but still a record)

But still their profits went down .

What does this mean??(hint.It meant they are loosing on margin)

samsung overall profit includes those from washing machines and toilets and TVs and the saving they get by employing candy crush players instead of actual R&D.

The fact than samsungs profit increased doesn't meant anything in particular.

post #181 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

 

Ok einstein.

Apple set a record for sales this quarter( a personal record but still a record)

But still their profits went down .

What does this mean??(hint.It meant they are loosing on margin)

samsung overall profit includes those from washing machines and toilets and TVs and the saving they get by employing candy crush players instead of actual R&D.

The fact than samsungs profit increased doesn't meant anything in particular.

 

R&D? Don't play THAT card.... Samsung spends WAAAAY more on R&D than you think - http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ranks-second-as-top-rd-spender-intel-and-microsoft-close-by/

 

Advertising? Same thing - http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/09/samsung-to-spend-13-billion-on-marketing-this-year-analyst/

 

How else is Samsung able to sell copious amounts of product? By finding out what people will buy(R&D) and advertising the life out of it. Is their product any good? No idea(although the stuff I've played with seemed ok)... but they are selling it... and selling TONS of it. They have figured out how to make a product that people will buy. Those are just the facts.

 

It's the SAME principle as Saks 5th Ave. vs. Walmart - Which company sells HUGE amounts of junk? In two or three years time, Samsung will be Walmart and Apple will be Saks. People buy clothing at Walmart because it's cheap and "works" well enough. People buy at Saks because they have an appreciation for quality and don't have any issue paying for it.

 

I would say that Apple Fans® need to get used to seeing Apple making less and less money and Samsung making more and more. Does it mean Samsung's stuff is better? Nope.

 

Hey - if I can package poop and sell it making a profit(not saying Samsung is but.....) then more power to me! It's the consumers' fault for buying, not for me selling. ;)

post #182 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

They are a MONTH faster to 40M than the S3 was.... guess what that means? Faster growth.

 

The Note 3 is currently shipping TWICE as fast as the Note 2.... guess what that means? Faster growth.

 

What am I missing that you aren't?

 

You are missing the source of these "FACTS".  Those numbers don't mean ANYTHING.  Those are NOT facts. 

 

If Jeffery Skilling of Enron told you that his company sold $10B in gas would you believe him?  So why do you believe Mr Shin who is a two time convicted FELON?  Convicted for various crimes including fraud, tax evasion and sentenced to years jail in Korea but was pardoned by his friend the Korean president.  So you take his UNAUDITED press release as FACT?????  Don't be STUPID.  He could easily be telling lies again and no one could do ANYTHING about it.  If these are FACTS why aren't these numbers included in the audited earnings report?  Why doesn't Samsung report Channel inventory?  Or break down cheap phones with expensive phones? 

 

You ENTIRE argument falls flat on its face because those sells numbers have no leg to stand on.  Unlike iPhone shipments that are presented on the audited financials and also include channel inventory instead of just 'shipments'. 

post #183 of 216

Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

R&D? Don't play THAT card.... Samsung spends WAAAAY more on R&D than you think - http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ranks-second-as-top-rd-spender-intel-and-microsoft-close-by/

 

Their R&D costs that much.

Apple pays for it.

Who said anything about advertising??

OFC they spend a whole lot to advertise their second rate products.They pay extra money to make sure people bash their competitors and their ads come up on all apple related articles.

Quote:
 How else is Samsung able to sell copious amounts of product? By finding out what people will buy(R&D) and advertising the life out of it. Is their product any good? No idea(although the stuff I've played with seemed ok)... but they are selling it... and selling TONS of it.

by making a million different products.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that a gazillion samsung products are outselling(vastly) and bringing in more profit than the limited number of iDevices.

 

Quote:
 I would say that Apple Fans® need to get used to seeing Apple making less and less money and Samsung making more and more. Does it mean Samsung's stuff is better? Nope.

wait apple made more profit b4??

post #184 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

You are missing the source of these "FACTS".  Those numbers don't mean ANYTHING.  Those are NOT facts. 

 

If Jeffery Skilling of Enron told you that his company sold $10B in gas would you believe him?  So why do you believe Mr Shin who is a two time convicted FELON?  Convicted for various crimes including fraud, tax evasion and sentenced to years jail in Korea but was pardoned by his friend the Korean president.  So you take his UNAUDITED press release as FACT?????  Don't be STUPID.  He could easily be telling lies again and no one could do ANYTHING about it.  If these are FACTS why aren't these numbers included in the audited earnings report?  Why doesn't Samsung report Channel inventory?  Or break down cheap phones with expensive phones? 

 

You ENTIRE argument falls flat on its face because those sells numbers have no leg to stand on.  Unlike iPhone shipments that are presented on the audited financials and also include channel inventory instead of just 'shipments'. 

 

Ok, had no idea Mr. Shin was such a crook... I have read many articles, but never that. So if he lies, sure... the numbers could be skewed?! If that is true, can you post links with proof of that fact?

 

Regardless.... unless they lie on their financials, Samsung(as a whole) is still "currently" making more money than Apple.

post #185 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

wait apple made more profit b4??

 

Ummm.... yes, like every single quarter for YEARS! This is the first time in recent history that Samsung's NET profit has been more than Apple's.

 

As far as REVENUE, yes... Samsung has been far ahead of Apple, NET profit? Nope.

post #186 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

Their R&D costs that much......

 

Whose R&D costs that much? Apples? - http://bgr.com/2013/04/25/apple-r-d-spending-2013-465066/

 

Apple's R&D is in the $4B range... not even in the top 20! And less than 40% of what Samsung spends.

post #187 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Ok, had no idea Mr. Shin was such a crook... I have read many articles, but never that. So if he lies, sure... the numbers could be skewed?! If that is true, can you post links with proof of that fact?

Regardless.... unless they lie on their financials, Samsung(as a whole) is still "currently" making more money than Apple.

Sammy sells everything including the kitchen sink. Compare the product groups Apple participates in with the same group Sammy has.
post #188 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Sammy sells everything including the kitchen sink. Compare the product groups Apple participates in with the same group Sammy has.

 

So by doing that we should have been valuing MS higher than Apple, because until the last year* they have pretty much only been selling software? Great point!

 

*I realize MS now sells the Surface, but until this time a year ago they didn't. Actually considering they LOST money on it, perhaps STILL shouldn't be selling it! ;)

post #189 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
what??
what??
what??

 

 

Problem with English? Not sure.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #190 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

 

It means nothing to the masses. But share holders knows that there are analysis that likes to use or misuse the data to influence AAPL stock.

 

... and some posters like to use or misuse the data to influence their point of view (by all means, I am not inferring anything concerning you).

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #191 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Problem with English? Not sure.

 

Their 16 GB phone has a profit margin of a smoking entire 1 dollar.

define overpriced.

I actually said something else but a bug displayed what? thrice.

post #192 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

So by doing that we should have been valuing MS higher than Apple, because until the last year* they have pretty much only been selling software? Great point!

*I realize MS now sells the Surface, but until this time a year ago they didn't. Actually considering they LOST money on it, perhaps STILL shouldn't be selling it! 1wink.gif

What are you talking about? Who is comparing Apple to MS? Apple crushes MS in hardware and MS beats Apple on software profits. No one is arguing otherwise.

Here's the difference, Sammy sells fridges, washers, dryers, Dyson clones, etc. none of those are related to what Apple, MS sells.
post #193 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

So by doing that we should have been valuing MS higher than Apple, because until the last year* they have pretty much only been selling software? Great point!

 

*I realize MS now sells the Surface, but until this time a year ago they didn't. Actually considering they LOST money on it, perhaps STILL shouldn't be selling it! ;)

Don't forget Xbox, Xbox Live, Zune, Kin, Bing and keyboards and mouses as far as I can remember. And now Lumia phones are their brand, since they bought Nokia mobile phone division. We're going to have to wait and see if they make more money from selling Lumia phones than from the licensing fee they get from Samsung phones for using Android. But 80% of their revenue still comes from Office and Windows. But it's shrinking as PC sales shrinks. 

post #194 of 216

Whose phone has a profit margin of $1?

 

What?

 

What?

 

What?  8-)

 

(we have to help get the post count up to 200)


Edited by island hermit - 10/31/13 at 6:49am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #195 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

 

Their 16 GB phone has a profit margin of a smoking entire 1 dollar.

define overpriced.

I actually said something else but a bug displayed what? thrice.

 

Pardon ME? Whose phone has a profit margin of $1? You have definitely piqued my curiosity.


Edited by QwertyJuan - 10/31/13 at 7:20am
post #196 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

Pardon ME? Who's phone has a profit margin of $1? You have definitely piqued my curiosity.

 

Certainly not any of Apple's offerings, that's for sure.

 

(... and don't you start with the who's, whose thing!  lol)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #197 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

Pardon ME? Who's phone has a profit margin of $1? You have definitely piqued my curiosity.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Certainly not any of Apple's offerings, that's for sure.

 

(... and don't you start with the who's, whose thing!  lol)

If I remember correctly the phones took about $198 and a few cents to manufacture.

They are sold starting $199.

post #198 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

 

 

 

 

If I remember correctly the phones took about $198 and a few cents to manufacture.

They are sold starting $199.

 

Who? Apple?

 

Apple most DEFINITELY does NOT sell ANY of their phones for $199.00.

post #199 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post
 

 

Who? Apple?

 

Apple most DEFINITELY does NOT sell ANY of their phones for $199.00.

 

I think bananaman thought that the subsidized price is the unsubsidized price. That would be nice... but, sadly, not the case.

 

(just one more post and we'll hit 200!)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #200 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I think bananaman thought that the subsidized price is the unsubsidized price. That would be nice... but, sadly, not the case.

 

(just one more post and we'll hit 200!)

200!!

well yeah I was talking about the unsubsidised prices.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined