or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly ups orders for new Retina MacBook Pros, Sharp blamed for Retina iPad mini shortages

Apple reportedly ups orders for new Retina MacBook Pros, Sharp blamed for Retina iPad mini shortages

post #1 of 36
Cupertino has maxed out capacity at its Taiwanese component suppliers thanks to strong projected sales of the new Haswell-powered MacBook Pros, while low display yields from Sharp may cause launch shortages of the Retina-equipped iPad mini, according to twin reports out of Taiwan.

MacBook Pro

Hit-and-miss Taiwanese trade publication Digitimes says that Apple's MacBook Pro suppliers in the Asian country are hesitant to increase their ability to manufacture parts for the laptops, despite capacity problems, because they are wary of a sudden downward shift in order volume.

The publication notes that "most of the suppliers are unwilling to expand capacities on concerns that Apple may stop taking its ordered shipments suddenly like it did in the fourth quarter of 2012."

The MacBook Pro update, unveiled last week, is headlined by a move to Intel's new Haswell architecture, including the company's Iris graphics chips. The new models boast significantly improved battery life over their predecessors, while the 13-inch variant slimmed down to match its larger sibling.

iPad mini

Meanwhile, Digitimes also reports that the second-generation iPad mini may face supply constraints due to low yields of its Retina display panels from secondary supplier Sharp. LG, reportedly the tablets's primary display supplier with 60 percent of the orders, is said not to face the same issues.

The report adds to a pile of mounting evidence pointing to limited availability of the Retina iPad mini when it launches later in November. Apple CEO Tim Cook said during the company's fourth quarter earnings call that it was "unclear" whether they would have enough units of the tablet for the holiday quarter, while several analysts earlier predicted similar constraints.
post #2 of 36

Third time: call for no more “supply” articles.

post #3 of 36
Seconded
post #4 of 36
Thirded.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 36
Fourth-ed ?
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fifth 

post #7 of 36
Sixth. Not sure what I'm sixthing- but it seems fun.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #8 of 36

"Sharp blamed for Retina iPad mini shortages"

On a product that isn't even on sale yet. Dumb sensationalist headline.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #9 of 36

Hold it! Isn't this just a ploy by Cook to increase demand?

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #10 of 36
It is about time for Apple to ask Samsung for help with supply of retina display panels, and apologize past arrogant behaviour...
post #11 of 36

Need to work out the quirks in the new MBP.  Either it's Mavericks or it's the new hardware or some inter-connected facet.  But the freezes and random reboot is not a good thing.

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

"Sharp blamed for Retina iPad mini shortages"

On a product that isn't even on sale yet. Dumb sensationalist headline.

If there are no manufacturing bottlenecks, why is the Mini with RD available after the iPad Air?

Edited by StruckPaper - 10/30/13 at 4:08pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

It is about time for Apple to ask Samsung for help with supply of retina display panels, and apologize past arrogant behaviour...

I actually spit out my coffee laughing at your comment. Good one!!

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sixth. Not sure what I'm sixthing- but it seems fun.

I'm not seventh-ing, because this is a supply article with more detail. Of course, you could say it could be Taiwan bias making up stories about Japan incompetence, but LG is Korean, so there goes that theory. The point is we have a searchable reason given for a shortage this time. And it's not Apple trying to make a shortage for marketing reasons, surely one of the stupidest things said around here.
post #15 of 36

Oh yeah, good idea. And in the same vein BMW should ask Mercedes Benz for forgiveness for competing against them all these years, and humbly ask Mercedes to build the engines for the next  BMW 3-Series, right? :lol: I mean .... you were joking ... right? :???: 

post #16 of 36
Seventhed
post #17 of 36
Quote:
 Hit-and-miss Taiwanese trade publication Digitimes says that Apple's MacBook Pro

STOP RIGHT THERE!

No need to read any further.  This whole article is not worth the time it took to write it.

Anything that starts with Digitimes is a waste of time.  

post #18 of 36
Quote:

Absolutely. Oh and Eighth

post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hit-and-miss Taiwanese trade publication Digitimes

A capital S is missing from the beginning of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

If there are no manufacturing bottlenecks, why is the Mini with RD available after the iPad Air?

Because they know it will be more popular than the iPad air so they don't want initial sales encroaching on their larger iPad plus they need a bit longer to make more to keep up with demand.

Why? Are you saying that Apple are going to stop production of the iPad air for 2 weeks to knock out a quick 30 million iPad minis and then maybe flip between the 2 manufacturing processes to keep the stocks up of each type?

Apple hasn't strained the manufacturers to breaking point, they don't have to choose which one they make at any one time.

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

A capital S is missing from the beginning of that.

Because they know it will be more popular than the iPad air so they don't want initial sales encroaching on their larger iPad plus they need a bit longer to make more to keep up with demand.

You're just making this up. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Why? Are you saying that Apple are going to stop production of the iPad air for 2 weeks to knock out a quick 30 million iPad minis and then maybe flip between the 2 manufacturing processes to keep the stocks up of each type?

I didn't say that. Didn't imply it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Apple hasn't strained the manufacturers to breaking point, they don't have to choose which one they make at any one time.

Tim Cook himself explicitly stated that he couldn't be sure they could meet demand. Are you questioning him?

post #21 of 36

How about a rumor on when the iPad Mini is expected to ship?

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

How about a rumor on when the iPad Mini is expected to ship?

Lol - right!? Why blame Sharp and not Apple? Ridiculous.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

post #23 of 36
Would love to see MBA/MBP split. Feels like a lot of first-time Mac buyers went with the MBA and now that they are fully adjusted most are willing to go Pro.
post #24 of 36
Quote:

??? Samsung is the one who has been found by a court for copying Apple. It's a bit arrogant for a supplier to become their customer's biggest competitor. I don't blame Apple one bit for looking for alternatives to relying on their biggest competitor. Anyway, Intel is going to start manufacturing ARM chips, so Samsung may have some competition in the future for Apple's business.

post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Lol - right!? Why blame Sharp and not Apple? Ridiculous.

We don't really know who is to blame. Did Sharp make a promise they couldn't keep? Did Apple make an unreasonable demand?

post #26 of 36
Ipad min retina is not even out yet... Lol. Come on.. This s getting ridiculous!!!
Pointing fingers for shortage of a product that is not even out yet! If that is not Hilarious what can possibly be!?

And some here are actually going along with this fud as their posts reflect ...

Unreal.!
post #27 of 36
Quote:

Ninthed!
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

Would love to see MBA/MBP split. Feels like a lot of first-time Mac buyers went with the MBA and now that they are fully adjusted most are willing to go Pro.

Long time Mac user since '84.

Just bought the 13" 512GB/8GB/2.6I5 MBP retina.

Had a late 2012 air, but this pro is sizzling.

Lightning fast and finally enough ports for everything. Mavericks makes up for everything I hated about the lions.

Truly amazing machine. Don't see how a windows 8 could top this for speed or usability.

Only thing better would be the new Mac Pro.

Browsing is insanely fast. I have emulators for a 1977 HP2000 minicomputer, a 1984 Mac 128kb and a 1992 IBM MVS mainframe.

This 13" retina is truly the epitome of computing. If I had seen something like this even 10 years ago my eyes would have bugged out of my head.

They're going to sell a sh*t load of these...
Edited by vaporland - 10/30/13 at 11:32pm
post #29 of 36
How many more articles emanating from the DigiTimes source am I going to read here, that always sound alarms over Apple supply shortages?

It seems to be what they’re best at, and AI always picks up the (non)story.

It’s becoming a pretty consistent pattern. Apple announces new device, typically with some new 'hard to manufacture cutting edge component', and sure enough there’s DigiTimes announcing that an as yet UNRELEASED product is already "suffering shortages".

What they always forget to mention is that it could also simply be the huge ‘burst' demand on the launch of these same devices, making ANY amount of pre-launch ramp look inadequate. They can get away with calling it shortages, as if someone has dropped the ball, so there won’t be enough to go around (which is always true with most Apple products at release anyway).

Apple can’t, nor should they try to, satisfy 100% of pre-launch demand. They sold 9 million iPhone 5s/5c opening weekend. Ramping any harder than that opens the door for poorer QA, less reliable devices, etc. Quality suffers.

Now, every time I open an AI article and discover it’s a digitimes sourced story, I just “psh!” at it and move on to the next. They’ve got almost no credibility with me anymore. I think AI should drop them from the sources list. They’re pretty much completely unreliable now. TOO 'hit and miss’ if you ask me.

We can do better than this!
Edited by tribalogical - 10/31/13 at 2:12am
post #30 of 36
Quote:

bwaaa hahahaha HA hahaha hah ha HA HA haaaaa!!!

OK sorry. Couldn’t help it.

Wait, did you mean ask Samsung to help, AND ask Samsung to apologize for their arrogant behavior? If that’s the case then sure. We’ll wait for an apology, and then let you know about the rest...

Otherwise I’m thinking you meant, “Samsung copied Apple designs, Apple complained. How ARROGANT of Apple! They should apologize!”

Is that right?? If so...

Bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Tim Cook himself explicitly stated that he couldn't be sure they could meet demand. Are you questioning him?

You never heard of panic buying?
Apple thrives on being able to report incredible 1st weekend and 1st week sales.
They want people to camp outside in long lines because they are worried they won't get one.
They want people buying them as presents to think that they have a small window of opportunity before Christmas or they'll be too late.
They don't want people thinking "I'll just pick one up next month".

Tim is just helping the panic manifest.

I have never preordered, never queued, never bought in the first week but have never had problems just walking into an Apple store and buying an iPad or iPhone.
It's not the stock levels they make that is the issue, it's the distribution. Sure the big stores are going to sell out and sell outs will be reported worldwide however, there is always a store somewhere with stock.
post #32 of 36

Utter nonsense.  It's the lying crooks at Samsung who should do the apologizing.  But, I'll settle for Apple continuing to take the lions share of all profits made in smart phones and tablets globally.

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

We don't really know who is to blame. Did Sharp make a promise they couldn't keep? Did Apple make an unreasonable demand?

Why would Apple announce and release something without all their eggs in the basket?

post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why would Apple announce and release something without all their eggs in the basket?

Don't know.

Happened last year as well with the iMacs.

If Tim Cook hadn't also mentioned shortages then I'd think this was just fud.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #35 of 36
The issue on hand is "a serious short supply" of Retina Display Panels" due to deliberate choice Apple made by refusing to buy them from Samsung who can help in very large quantity, if Apple ask for with a sincere apology. Guys, stay focused on the issue of Apple not being able to sell enough Retina iPad Mini to meet the demands. That is the problem...
post #36 of 36
The issue on hand is   serious short supply of Retina Display Panels due to deliberate choice Apple made by refusing to buy them from Samsung...

Source?

…if Apple ask for with a sincere apology.

Shut up.

…the issue of Apple not being able to sell enough Retina iPad Mini to meet the demands. That is the problem... 

No, really. Shush.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly ups orders for new Retina MacBook Pros, Sharp blamed for Retina iPad mini shortages