or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains

iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains

post #1 of 104
Apple's share of the worldwide tablet market slipped to its lowest point ever in the third quarter of 2013, falling off 11 percent from the same time one year ago, while No. 2 Samsung more than doubled shipments of its Android-based offerings.

IDC
Source: IDC

According to the latest data from research firm IDC, Apple shipped 14.1 million iPads in the third quarter of 2013, a 500,000 unit sequential decline from quarter two, while rival Samsung took second place with shipments of 9.7 million Android devices.

The firm attributes Apple's stagnating growth to a lack of new models in the second and third quarters. Year over year, Apple's marketshare drooped 11 percent to 29.6 percent, with growth at 0.6 percent over the same period. Apple shifted its iPad launch schedule last year when it introduced the first-generation iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad in October.

Apple will likely see a strong rebound with the all-new iPad mini with Retina display both launching in November, the research company said.

IDC research analyst Jitesh Ubrani notes Apple's latest iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display should appeal to a wider audience, though pricing may be an issue.

"While some undoubtedly hoped for more aggressive pricing from Apple, the current prices clearly reflect Apple's ongoing strategy to maintain its premium status," Ubrani said. "It's worth noting that Apple wasn't the only one to increase the price of its small-sized tablet during this product cycle: Both Google and Amazon increased the price of their newest 7-inch tablets from $199 to $229 to cover the higher costs associated with high resolution screens and better processors."

Samsung vaulted from a 12.4 percent marketshare to 20.4 percent on shipments of 9.7 million units in the third quarter, a gain of 123 percent. Number three Asus also grew its share with shipments of 3.5 million, up 53.9 percent from last year.

The September quarter's biggest mover was fourth place Lenovo, which exhibited 420.7 percent year-over-year growth, jumping from a 1.1 percent share to 4.8 percent. The company shipped a total of 2.3 million tablets.

Rounding out the top five is Acer, which managed to ship 1.2 million units to take 2.5 percent of the market, up 346.3 percent from 2012.
post #2 of 104
Yawn ....

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/30/apple-earned-more-than-samsung-lg-nokia-huawei-lenovo-motorolas-mobile-shipments-combined

So I guess iPads are just icing on the cake.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #3 of 104

"iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains"

I'll never fucking understand the utterly false analogy of directly comparing "iPad" or "iPhone" with "Android" as if they're competing products. It's so sad than even this site engages in this analogy for clicks. "iPad" is a single line of tablets, made by a single company, updated a single time a year. "Android" is a damn OS, that is installed on THOUSANDS of tablets, on HUNDREDS of product lines, by DOZENS of companies, that release multiple tablets per year. So, why the **** is this a fair comparison? COmparing a single product with the combined marketshare of almost every SINGLE other competing product in the world? SO we can use the word "drops" in the headline?

iPad is by far the best selling tablet in the world. The only way to attempt to put a negative spin on things is if you use false analogies such as this, as if "Android" is some product, or some entity. "Android" or Google even, is not benefitting by these truckloads of cheap chinese tablets taht run the OS. The comparison is utterly meaningless. Stop with these Apples to Oranges comparison. Android, a free OS, cannot be compared with iPad, a tablet.  Why not actually compare the iPad line against any other tablet line? Oh yeah, cause it would be an absolute slaughter, so we have to combine ALL other tablet lines on the planet then use THAT for comparison, as if that means anything anymore. The tablet market is still growing, and being flooded with cheap models, so  decrease in marketshare is expected. I'm dissapointed in Appleinsider for engaging in this click-bait, idiotic comparisons.

post #4 of 104
That last column "3Q12-3Q13" seems to be neither consistently nor correctly calculated. Either in absolute values, percentages, or percentages of percentages.
post #5 of 104
I get around a lot, travel to a lot of places. I've seen quite a few Kindles, a couple of Nexus tablets, nary a Samsung (except on an American Airlines flight from Latin America, where Samsung tablets were being handed out as entertainment devices for those sitting up font -- after which, I decided to drop AA), and yet, I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of iPads.

Where are all these vaunted, non-iOS tablets that apparently have shipped by the gazillions!? Who uses them, for what!? Are most of the non-iPad users simply embarrassed to be seen with them in public?
post #6 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Let's hear all the AAPL apologists rationalize why this is good news... Wait, now begin!

It's irrelevant news, actually.
post #7 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

"iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains
"

I'll never fucking understand the utterly false analogy of directly comparing "iPad" or "iPhone" with "Android" as if they're competing products. It's so sad than even this site engages in this analogy for clicks. "iPad" is a single line of tablets, made by a single company, updated a single time a year. "Android" is a damn OS, that is installed on THOUSANDS of tablets, on HUNDREDS of product lines, by DOZENS of companies, that release multiple tablets per year. So, why the **** is this a fair comparison? COmparing a single product with the combined marketshare of almost every SINGLE other competing product in the world? SO we can use the word "drops" in the headline?

iPad is by far the best selling tablet in the world. The only way to attempt to put a negative spin on things is if you use false analogies such as this, as if "Android" is some product, or some entity. "Android" or Google even, is not benefitting by these truckloads of cheap chinese tablets taht run the OS. The comparison is utterly meaningless. Stop with these Apples to Oranges comparison. Android, a free OS, cannot be compared with iPad, a tablet.  Why not actually compare the iPad line against any other tablet line? Oh yeah, cause it would be an absolute slaughter, so we have to combine ALL other tablet lines on the planet then use THAT for comparison, as if that means anything anymore. The tablet market is still growing, and being flooded with cheap models, so  decrease in marketshare is expected. I'm dissapointed in Appleinsider for engaging in this click-bait, idiotic comparisons.
All true, although on current growth Samsung will move past Apple as the number one tablet maker within a few quarters.

Certainly is iPhone vs combined android scenario all over again, which is fine.

At the end if the day Apple only cares about the cream if the market where the real money lies.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #8 of 104
Quote:

"iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains"

Well said, my friend. Well said.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #9 of 104
Give me a break. Some people by Mercedes and some buy Toyotas. Apple can't have all the market. And I know these types of write ups are meant to screw the Apple stock. It is so damn obvious.
post #10 of 104
Quote:

Same's been true of Mac vs. PC for decades, but that hasn't stopped anybody from making the comparison.

post #11 of 104

In other news: BMW didn't sell as many cars in Q3 as "All-non-BMW-branded-cars-combined". For this reason BMW's stock plummeted 14% on the bad news. *sheesh* 

post #12 of 104

Just means that those that purchased an Android model will most likely get an iPad after:

- said Android product breaks after a couple months.

- consumer returns it after realizing it's a poor substitute for an iPad.

- Android product gathers dust in desk drawer and customer forgets/doesn't care.

Edited by sflocal - 10/30/13 at 4:19pm
post #13 of 104
Quote:

I do agree with your sentiment, however this study does look at individual tablet manufactures. What I don't get is that they do not indicate acceleration or deceleration of the market over time. They show the percentage change from '12 to '13 but there is no insight into the cyclical nature of the drop. They do mention it, however the study does nothing to quantify the impact. This is fairly meaningless information without that context.

For example if the growth of the tablet market has a trend of 50% year over year in the third quarter and we only saw a 34% growth we saw a deceleration of growth that has a positive correlation with the lack of a new iPad in the quarter. I'm not saying this is the case; simply pointing out that we are missing some contextual information to draw conclusions regarding market performance.

post #14 of 104
Quote:

Let's hear all the AAPL apologists rationalize why this is good news... Wait, now begin!

Ah. Right on cue.
post #15 of 104
Quote:

I'll never fucking understand the utterly false analogy of directly comparing "iPad" or "iPhone" with "Android" as if they're competing products. It's so sad than even this site engages in this analogy for clicks. "iPad" is a single line of tablets, made by a single company, updated a single time a year. "Android" is a damn OS, that is installed on THOUSANDS of tablets, on HUNDREDS of product lines, by DOZENS of companies, that release multiple tablets per year. So, why the **** is this a fair comparison? COmparing a single product with the combined marketshare of almost every SINGLE other competing product in the world? SO we can use the word "drops" in the headline

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Give me a break. Some people by Mercedes and some buy Toyotas. Apple can't have all the market. And I know these types of write ups are meant to screw the Apple stock. It is so damn obvious.

Well that single line of tablet did had almost 100% of the market share back in 2010. Apple could had pulled an iPod and maintain dominance, but it looks more like a repeat of the iPhone. 

That being said I think Apple have a nice line up, its bringing more choices on the iPad line, something it didn't do on the iPhone line.   I am hoping the free iWork and iLife makes a difference.  Many people argue Apple products are overprice, but now you can reply they come with a solid set of free softwares and free OS updates. Now we pay more, but we also get more, other than high quality hardware.

post #16 of 104
Quote:

LOL...off your meds?

I am not sure exactly what a "false analogy" is although I can certainly recognize faulty logic (and bad grammar). And its hilarious that you say the "iPad" is the best selling tablet in the world while you are counting all the different models as a lump sum. According to your rather flawed logic, shouldn't each model be considered separately?

Would it make you feel better if instead of talking about "iPad" vs Android tablet marketshare they said "iOS tablet" vs Android tablet marketshare? The fact that Apple is the only company making iPads is irrelevant.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #17 of 104

Another useless survey from IDC.  If you go read there metrics in this android vs apple survey there counting sub 100 dollar white box tablets now in china against apple as well.    Sad thing is that none of the 30% of Other (white box)  will connect to google play and make google absolutely no money. Those tablets don't even compare to an iPad.  Most of them after 6 months are landfill in a dump.  All of them start with an old version of android and will barely make a picture.  They use substandard parts and last accordingly.

IDC is now the yellow sheet analytic firm. There the National Inquirer of survey firms.

post #18 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Same's been true of Mac vs. PC for decades, but that hasn't stopped anybody from making the comparison.

Actually, it's even worse this time. At least OEMs PAYED for Windows licenses, so one could say that at least Windows was making sales. In this case, Android is free, so by default that's what every single no-name brand will throw onto their tablets, because it reduces their R&D, and it's FREE. Not to mention this survey is counting tablets that cost less than $100, that arguably neither Google nor the manufacturer (nor the user) benefits from. So it's even a worse comparison this time, and it implies Apple needs to change it's strategy, or is "losing"- when it doesn't, and it isn't. It's "winning" on all fronts that actually matter. 

post #19 of 104
Quote:

LOL if you want to believe what IDC spews then go right ahead there the worst analytical firm on the planet.  With surveys based in wild guesses about how many tablets are shipped when no android manufacture ever states shipped or sold.  Then they add in sub $100 dollar white box android tablets that make up about 30% of that survey, and none of those tablets will ever connect to google play and will never make google or android a dime.  Fact is the only manufacturer that gives sold numbers (as in the hands of a real person that bought it) is Apple.

post #20 of 104
The big problem with this report is not its 'fairness' - i.e., iPad vs. Android - but the fact that shipments do NOT equal actual usage... As we all saw with Surface V1.0, you can 'ship' lots of tablets that sit on shelves and get written off later... Or, you can 'ship' lots of tablets, some of which are actually sold to end users, but don't get actually used much...

What's fasincating is that the tablet TRAFFIC statistics, vs. units 'shipped' statistics, remain dominated by Apple... For all the units 'shipped' by Samsung and other vendors, there is no way to know how many are stuck in the channel or not being used by their buyers, except for the - wait, wait, don't tell me - TRAFFIC statistics!

Combined with the fact that Apple customers typically postpone tablet purchases in the weeks before a new product introduction, it's fairly certain that Apple's share will recover nicely next quarter...

That's why articles such as these - which pretend to headline a trend with incomplete information - are pretty lame...
Edited by Ken_sanders_aia - 10/31/13 at 3:30am
post #21 of 104
Quote:

Asked and you shall receive. Because it's quite tiring this statistic without a good analysis, especially coming from IDC who was wrong time and time again.

Analysis of Tablet Market Share.

Quote:
If this theory is correct, it suggests that Apple's $300 Mini really isn't a competitive problem, because the iPad doesn't yet face a strong competitive threat (quite unlike the iPhone). Rather, there are actually two quite different markets: the post-PC vision, where Apple is dominant, and a ultra-low margin product that’s also called a tablet but which is really a totally different product.  
post #22 of 104

This is the usual and sensational BS to send the stock down a few points and nothing else. In fact, it is hardly worth to debate those numbers in any way, because they're completely out of context.

The sensational headline doesn't help credibility, it mentions iPad marketshare plummeting xyz percent, however the numbers are related to quarterly unit shipments rather than marketshare by any metric.

All that has been said above is correct, people don't "feel" those numbers right, because all those Android tablets are nowhere to be seen out in the wild, those numbers also feel wrong because none of these numbers translate into any usage share whatsoever, so we all know about what kind of devices are being counted there, not even speaking of other funny jokes such as Galaxy Notes probably being double counted as phone and tablet shipments. ;-)

However:

1.) Quarterly shipments and marketshare are two very different things.

2.) It is totally irrelevant to compare Q3 of this year to last years, considering that last year there was a brand new model in this very same quarter and this year there wasn't.

All in all, I'm getting used to such garbage from IDC, tailored towards affecting the stock price and nothing else, because the numbers are totally meaningless and we'll be proven right once again the next time some actually meaningful numbers are published.

post #23 of 104
I wonder what the numbers looked like if you removed the brands and models that don't actually get used, but are the cheap crap that's actually used for about a week and then put in a drawer and forgotten?
post #24 of 104
Can anyone please tell me who the 16+ other companies making all these 'Other' tablets are and what models they are selling? It would make the figures slightly less difficult to swallow!
post #25 of 104
How does IDC arrive at its numbers? I think it's BS. And yes I know Apple sometimes quotes these figures, but I don't care. Since Apple is the only manufacturer to provide shipment figures how in the world can IDC know what % of the market they have? And do we know how many of these tablets are actually being used on a regular basis? Honestly I don't think Apple is competing with some cheap garbage android tablet sold at Tesco's.
post #26 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's irrelevant news, actually.

Irrelevant, sure... but I'd love to see Apple sell 85 million iPads in 2014 to make it even more irrelevant.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #27 of 104
Hello Apple fans, just to let you guys know, in Samsung's home country South Korea, Apple is already a bankrupt company. That's how most of the Korean media portray Apple day in and day out. They love to diss Apple any way they can. I guess this is because Samsung is practically the whole country of South Korea, the entire economy is dependent upon Samsung which is responsible for 28% of the nation's exports. it's pretty pathetic the entire nation depends on just ONE company for its economic future. Trust me, it will be China, not Apple or Google, that will kill Samsung. The Chinese will copy whatever Samsung has done at lightning speed and dump all kinds of electronics products at rock bottom prices. That's how Samsung will be killed....by the Chinese.
post #28 of 104

Apple is not in the business of selling cheap junk to poor people, so who cares about Android market share? It's pretty much meaningless. That's the typical Android customer, somebody who is a penny pincher, and who is merely looking to buy whatever is cheap. This particular breed of people will balk at anything that costs more than a few hundred dollars. 

As an example, Tim Cook said in the earnings call that it was never Apple's intention to make the iPhone 5c an entry level phone. Quite a few people were mistakingly expecting that. Apple is playing on a higher level, a much higher level. Apple is about making the best products and having the best customer satisfaction out of anybody. That's their words, not mine. Apple is not chasing market share by making devices with little or no profit and selling those devices to bums who have no money. Apple's strategy is working out just fine, as they are raking in a ton of money, because they do have the best products in the world, the best user experience in the world, the best eco-system in the world, and there is no shortage of people willing to buy those products.

It's pretty funny how Apple has to be compared to every other company in the world (combined!) that makes Android products, and Apple is still kicking their pathetic asses.

And just wait until Friday, when the best tablet in the world goes on sale. 

post #29 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Well that single line of tablet did had almost 100% of the market share back in 2010. Apple could had pulled an iPod and maintain dominance, but it looks more like a repeat of the iPhone. 

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to maintain a dominant marketshare in ANY market where others see interest. Competitors will flood the market with devices continuously pushing Apple's share down. There's absolutely nothing Apple can do about that nor does it have any reflection on how well Apple is running their business or how well the iPad is actually doing. "Shipments" that are reported by these reports are just that, devices that were shipped to market. It doesn't say anything about how many are sold and if they're even being used by people that did buy them. The stats that do show real world "usage" numbers, overwhelming show that the iPad is still way out ahead of any competitor.

The iPod maintained its marketshare because Apple entered the market at the perfect time, while MP3's were still relatively unknown to consumers. As the iPod became more and more popular, the appeal of digital music grew in consumer's minds. Out of this came the generic term for a digital music player... Everyone asked for an iPod. By the time other high profile names got in the game, the iPod and iTunes were so wildly popular there wasn't much room for anyone else. So not many bothered. Not to mention the only "open" system, Microsoft's "Plays For Sure" was a complete mess compared to iPod+iTunes. After that everyone tried to open their proprietary stores+device combinations. They all failed.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #30 of 104

I'm definitely pro-Apple but you guys are wrong about a few things.

1) The article pits manufacturer's tablet lineup against manufacturer's tablet lineup... which is fair. Not iPad vs all Androids tablets.

2) Even though only Apple reports it's sales numbers, these speculative figures won't be off by some astronomical number. The affect of wrongful analysis in the worst case shouldn't change the percentages by more than a few points.

3) "Others" is ugly, likely completely inaccurate and woefully crappy products but they're still tablets by definition.

4) Asking an article to compare market share (devices sold) by how often people use them or how limited their features are, isn't very feasible.

What all iOS market share comparison articles SHOULD do is the same as they do for cars. Comparing "luxury" models to one another. This is the only market segment Apple cares about competing in.

If an article came out and compared Apple's products to other companies in the mid-high end market (over $300 base price?) and shows Apple losing ground, that would be a completely valid point to make and one that would convince me that Apple is failing because that is where they are specifically trying to dominate.

For example, the Samsung Y launched recently with the similar specs as the iPhone 3G (4 years old?).... should that count as valid market share compared to Apple's current line-up? Yes, it should... if the base price for the device is over $300, if not then it should be compared in it's own "low end" market.

post #31 of 104

I think Apple losing market share solely due to price.  Apple had a good opportunity to remedy this problem but failed.  Apple could have price the iPad Air at $499 with 32 GB as base model.  I think Tim Cook did not fully understand the difference between iPhone and iPad.  To iPhone storage is not as important as on iPad.  The iPad could be a replacement for a PC.  For a PC, the more storage the better.  Do I need to elborate more?

post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

Hello Apple fans, just to let you guys know, in Samsung's home country South Korea, Apple is already a bankrupt company. That's how most of the Korean media portray Apple day in and day out. They love to diss Apple any way they can. I guess this is because Samsung is practically the whole country of South Korea, the entire economy is dependent upon Samsung which is responsible for 28% of the nation's exports. it's pretty pathetic the entire nation depends on just ONE company for its economic future. Trust me, it will be China, not Apple or Google, that will kill Samsung. The Chinese will copy whatever Samsung has done at lightning speed and dump all kinds of electronics products at rock bottom prices. That's how Samsung will be killed....by the Chinese.

Sammy does pay the govt well, unofficially of course.
post #33 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple losing market share solely due to price.  Apple had a good opportunity to remedy this problem but failed.  Apple could have price the iPad Air at $499 with 32 GB as base model.  I think Tim Cook did not fully understand the difference between iPhone and iPad.  To iPhone storage is not as important as on iPad.  The iPad could be a replacement for a PC.  For a PC, the more storage the better.  Do I need to elborate more?

Those people who need more than 16GB of storage on an iPad have the option to buy 32, 64 or 128. Problem solved. It's their choice. And if that is too costly for them for whatever reason, then they have the option of not buying any iPad at all. That's also their choice. It doesn't really make a difference what they do. These new iPads will be selling like hotcakes regardless. 

And if somebody is really broke and needs at least 32GB, then they should get the iPad Mini Retina with 32 GB, for the same price as the 16 GB iPad Air.

post #34 of 104

And just to add one more thought.

Having the base iPad model come with 32 GB is a terrible idea, not to mention extremely naive.

With all of the tens of millions of iPads that Apple sells, do you think that flash memory grows on trees?

Not to mention that 16 GB is more than enough for many people, so it would be a total waste to have the base model come with 32 GB, even if they were able to pull it off. I know at least a few people who have 16 GB iPads and they aren't anywhere near using up their memory space. The typical customer is not you or I, and people should think more objectively when commenting on Apple.

post #35 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since Apple is the only manufacturer to provide shipment figures how in the world can IDC know what % of the market they have?
I think Motorola also reports sales numbers each quarter.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #36 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And just to add one more thought.

Having the base iPad model come with 32 GB is a terrible idea, not to mention extremely naive.

With all of the tens of millions of iPads that Apple sells, do you think that flash memory grows on trees?

Not to mention that 16 GB is more than enough for many people, so it would be a total waste to have the base model come with 32 GB, even if they were able to pull it off. I know at least a few people who have 16 GB iPads and they aren't anywhere near using up their memory space. The typical customer is not you or I, and people should think more objectively when commenting on Apple.

Having the base model be 32 GB is a great idea....I have 32 GB on my phone and it's barely enough! 

post #37 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Having the base model be 32 GB is a great idea....I have 32 GB on my phone and it's barely enough! 

The more storage space, the better. My current iPad is 32 GB, and my next one will be more.

However, having it in the base model is a bad idea because of the reasons which I stated. 

post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think Motorola also reports sales numbers each quarter.

You mean Google 1smile.gif
post #39 of 104

It is what it is.  If they want to give away their devices to be used as door stops, so be it.

Apple makes more profits on mobile devices than all the others combined.  Go figure.

post #40 of 104
It shouldn't have taken Apple a year to release a Retina mini.
And now they're constrained? What is this- Alchemy?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains