or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now listing native iOS apps such as Safari & Messages in App Store search results

Apple now listing native iOS apps such as Safari & Messages in App Store search results

post #1 of 40
When using relatively generic search terms like "web" or "SMS" in the iOS App Store, users now receive inline "advertisements" for Apple's built-in equivalents before any third-party apps are shown.

New App Store interstitials

Each placard is the same size as a normal app page, but features a different design with fewer elements --?the app's icon, a small market blurb about its features, and a direct link to the app or to Apple's website. The interstitials were first noticed by MacStories.

A search for "web," for instance, returns Safari's familiar compass logo with accompanying text that prods the reader to "see the web the way it was meant to be seen" and a button that switches to Apple's browser. Using the term "SMS" shows a similar format, but swaps the application button for a "Learn More" link to the Messages marketing page on Apple.com.

As noted by MacStories, this is not the first time Apple has manually altered results for specific search terms. Searching for "maps" still brings a link to a listing of alternatives to Apple's built-in navigational aide that was first introduced after the disastrous release of Apple Maps in iOS 6.

The App Store search and ranking system is often criticized by developers, and Cupertino's latest move will likely add fuel to that long-burning fire. The company has made several efforts to improve discoverability in the store, most notably acquiring cross-platform app indexing startup Chomp in 2012.
post #2 of 40

Makes sense. So many people don’t have a clue what their device already does that they install third party crap to duplicate functionality. No sense in that.

post #3 of 40

Maybe some default apps are going to the app  store ?

post #4 of 40

Please tell me this will not happen every time I perform such a search.

post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

What will not happen?
post #6 of 40
Quote:

If you do a generic search for an app Apple provides as standard, it takes 1 flick of the finger to get rid of it and into the apps in the store - not that much of a hardship.

Be a little more specific with your search and it takes you straight to the app you want.

post #7 of 40

I think it's a great thing... if users are also allowed to rate/review these apps. For instance I can find no current way to review/rate apple maps.

post #8 of 40
This is a new addition for many. I can see my parents searching from the appstore if they lose an icon or something.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Maybe some default apps are going to the app  store ?

I hope so, I could then finally delete the "Crap I don't use" folder.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #10 of 40
Quote:

Feel free not to use the App Store if this pisses you off too much.

post #11 of 40
OK, here's a wild theory (based on little to no evidence, admittedly).

Apple extends the Apple App Store to start to include Windows, Linux and Android software.

Crazy, right? After all, Apple is a hardware manufacturer that offers software as a side business, in part subsidized by hardware sales. What happens if the cost of hardware continues to drop thanks to vastly improved manufacturing efficiencies (I'm thinking of solid-state, "one piece" electronics and nano-fabrication in the near future). In that case, it makes sense to focus on quality and quantity of software distribution, all via their App Store.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Makes sense. So many people don’t have a clue what their device already does that they install third party crap to duplicate functionality. No sense in that.

So it makes sense when Apple does it but it's bad when Google does? What hypocrisy.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So it makes sense when Apple does it but it's bad when Google does? What hypocrisy.

What the hell are you talking about? Please, don't tell me you're making an equivalency between Apple prioritizing it's own apps on it's OWN curated store running on it's OWN software, installed on it's OWN hardware - to a search engine that scours the entire internet and is supposed to give unbiased rankings?

I'll pretend you didn't make that comparison. 

post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the hell are you talking about? Please, don't tell me you're making an equivalency between Apple prioritizing it's own apps on it's OWN curated store running on it's OWN software, installed on it's OWN hardware - to a search engine that scours the entire internet and is supposed to give unbiased rankings?

It is their OWN search engine, using their OWN algorithm, is it not?
post #15 of 40

I’m just gonna quote the following, since it’s exactly what I would have said:

Exactly.

post #16 of 40
Quote:

I’m just gonna quote the following, since it’s exactly what I would have said:

Exactly.

A search is a search regardless if it's in the app store or on the Web. You'd be up in arms if Google was doing it in the Google Play store.
post #17 of 40
Hopefully this means we will soon be able to give ratings, reviews and comments to these apps.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wow. What a well thought out solution.
post #19 of 40
Quote:

Apple does know their demographic.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

Hopefully this means we will soon be able to give ratings, reviews and comments to these apps.
Best way to improve them, no?
post #21 of 40
Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post
Apple does know their demographic.

Just shut up. I don’t need to call you out on your claim, I don’t need to restate it, explicitly, to clarify the implicit statement here. Just shut up.

post #22 of 40
Quote:

Just shut up. I don’t need to call you out on your claim, I don’t need to restate it, explicitly, to clarify the implicit statement here. Just shut up.

You call people stupid then jump down his throat for agreeing with you.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OK, here's a wild theory (based on little to no evidence, admittedly).

Apple extends the Apple App Store to start to include Windows, Linux and Android software.

Won't happen. There is NO way that Apple is going to open their stuff up to other OS. The point of the software is to drive sales to their hardware. They don't want to actively remind folks there are other systems. And they aren't going to waste time and resources on supporting other teams 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #24 of 40
Apple seem to have this backwards...

On iOS you can't delete these system apps, so there is little reason for them being in the store.
On OS X you can delete the system apps (if you are clueless & make mistakes) but there is no way to restore them from the App Store. You are left to using Pacifist or working out how to do a system restore.

I don't mind this on iOS, but please get around to adding the ability to restore all system apps on OS X via the Store.
post #25 of 40

Read his post, please. You speak the same language; you know what he’s saying.

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The concept of UX friction has been discussed here before.

I hope the app store logic is intelligent enough to detect that I've already been reminded more than a few times, and it will cease when that threshold is met.

Windows nags like a broken record, but it's just another mouse click, eh?   :no: 

Edited by PScooter63 - 10/31/13 at 11:39am
post #27 of 40
Quote:

That's not very smart.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

to a search engine that scours the entire internet...

In this case I'll take the Wiki definition.

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #29 of 40
Can we post reviews? Then it would be a useful (to the public) feedback mechanism. The public cannot view the feedback sent to Apple in the normal feedback web pages.

PS: The App Store has been a GUI disaster since iOS 6. I can't believe they haven't replaced it in iOS 7. Do the pages slide like native iOS components yet, or are their gesture behaviors still wrong?
post #30 of 40

If I search for apps will I get a page and link to the App Store app?

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In this case I'll take the Wiki definition.

I didn't know you like it wet. lol.gif
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I hope so, I could then finally delete the "Crap I don't use" folder.
This, please.

censored

censored

post #33 of 40
Would love the option to delete calendar, stocks, weather, voice memo, passbook, contacts, and newstand.
post #34 of 40
Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post
contacts

Not everyone has eidetic memory for phone numbers.

post #35 of 40
I noticed this only happens when searching for apples more updated apps, which I feel the never clicked ones should pop up better for them.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Won't happen. There is NO way that Apple is going to open their stuff up to other OS. The point of the software is to drive sales to their hardware. They don't want to actively remind folks there are other systems. And they aren't going to waste time and resources on supporting other teams 

Are you telling me you deliberately misread my post just so you'd be able to comment?

You ignored these caveats:  "After all, Apple is a hardware manufacturer that offers software as a side business, in part subsidized by hardware sales. What happens if the cost of hardware continues to drop thanks to vastly improved manufacturing efficiencies (I'm thinking of solid-state, "one piece" electronics and nano-fabrication in the near future). In that case, it makes sense to focus on quality and quantity of software distribution, all via their App Store."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 40
Quote:

I use the contacts that are built in the phone app. Is this different than the stand alone app? Am I missing something?
post #38 of 40
Quote:

I can barely remember my own phone number! :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #39 of 40
Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post
I use the contacts that are built in the phone app. Is this different than the stand alone app?

It IS the standalone app. You can’t have one without the other.

post #40 of 40

Anyone else find it unusual that all three searches ("movies", "web" and "sms") produce an equal number of results - 2201? Is that a magic number in some way?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple now listing native iOS apps such as Safari & Messages in App Store search results
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now listing native iOS apps such as Safari & Messages in App Store search results