or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat

Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat

post #1 of 121
At a Friday event in San Francisco, Google took the covers off their newest Nexus-series handset and unwrapped the next version of Android, version 4.4, or "KitKat."

Nexus 5

The Nexus 5's announced specifications line up with previous leaks, and it appears Google has packed nearly every available technology into the device. A 2.2-gigahertz Qualcomm processor with 2 gigabytes of RAM drives a 4.95-inch 1080p display, while support for 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, and inductive charging can be found on board, reports Engadget. Like the Nexus 4, Google partnered with South Korean manufacturer LG for the handset.

Android's newest flagship also includes what appears to be a response to Apple's M7 motion coprocessor, adding "two new composite sensors -- step detector and step counter -- that...track steps when the user is walking, running, or climbing stairs." Google notes that the "new sensors are implemented in hardware for low power consumption," though KitKat is also required.

Google says the Nexus 5 will ship today in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan and Korea. An unlocked, off-contract 16-gigabyte model will retail for $349, while bumping the onboard memory to 32 gigabytes will raise the price to $399.

KitKat, meanwhile, is said to sport several user interface and app updates that Google promises will make using KitKat devices easier than those running older versions of the operating system. Google Now features prominently, with the Nexus 5 gaining the now-famous "OK, Google" wake-up feature.

Google also slimmed KitKat down, according to the release, allowing it to run on devices with as little as 512 megabytes of RAM. The Mountain View company says the efficiency effort was designed to broaden support for low-powered Android devices which are popular in the developing world.

Behind the scenes, in addition to the new step detection features, KitKat gives developers native APIs for printing, new NFC capabilities, a standardized method for interacting with SMS and MMS messages, and support for building full-screen applications.
post #2 of 121

Screw their devices... they need to do more marketing of their amazingly fast copy machines!

post #3 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Screw their devices... they need to do more marketing of their amazingly fast copy machines!

Copy machines? Please explain....

post #4 of 121
It's a stretch to refer to Google's motion tracker as a "response" to Apple's, since it was under development at the same time as Apple's, but I know what your sayin'.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #5 of 121
im so exited!! Not.. just another way for google to track you!
post #6 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It's a stretch to refer to Google's motion tracker as a "response" to Apple's, since it was under development at the same time as Apple's, but I know what your sayin'.

Oh.... THAT'S what he's talking about. What about the Moto X that was introduced 3 months ago and all the extra sensors it has? Who did THEY copy from?

post #7 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Oh.... THAT'S what he's talking about. What about the Moto X that was introduced 3 months ago and all the extra sensors it has? Who did THEY copy from?

extra sensors??

the topic is about a chip that tracks  all sensor data right??

did I miss something?

post #8 of 121
How ironic that the company with the "dont be evil" motto launch their new product on Halloween.
post #9 of 121
Cue the Apple is doomed meme because this phone litters up the spec sheet and is cheaper than iPhone. lol.gif
post #10 of 121

is it our turn to say that Android is getting stale? 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #11 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

extra sensors??

the topic is about a chip that tracks  all sensor data right??

did I miss something?

No I am talking about the X8 -  their natural language and contextual computing processor. Since Google produces "copy" machines, I was wondering who they copied THAT from.

post #12 of 121
With that new step sensor, Fandroids will be assured of when they arrive safely at home, in their parent's basement.
post #13 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

With that new step sensor, Fandroids will be assured of when they arrive safely at home, in their parent's basement.

After visiting their great-grandmother and helping her setup her new iPhone!

post #14 of 121

Monkey see, monkey do….

post #15 of 121
I'm so excited! To order my iPad Air tomorrow. LMAO
post #16 of 121

I love spending money on Apple products but I love Google as well as long as Youtube and Google Search is for free :lol:

I am a Cheap Google lover but I am also Premium Apple Buyer (Getting iPad Air tomorrow- Still need iPad Mini w Retina) 8-) 

post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

How ironic that the company with the "dont be evil" motto launch their new product on Halloween.

Well, their user community certainly didn't read the Motto, they are usually some of the most vindictive, and mean spirited bunch.

I had one of them tell me I was an ass for suggesting that Apple is readying a large screen iPhone for next year and he said they aren't, but he wouldn't take me up on a Gentleman's bet since the stakes were too high.
post #18 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I love spending money on Apple products but I love Google as well as long as Youtube and Google Search is for free :lol:

I am a Cheap Google lover but I am also Premium Apple Buyer (Getting iPad Air tomorrow) 8-) 

I don't like being a product for Google to be sold to advertisers. Google free products are sheep farm. 

Edited by BigMac2 - 10/31/13 at 1:14pm
post #19 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What copy machines? It is the same SoC that the LG G2 has and it was presented on August

post #20 of 121

It does not matter how hard google and their gangs to try and put all the latest and greatest hardware inside their devices.

It also does not matter how hard they try to make sure android runs with min amount of RAM.

This company has no class no culture and no shame stealing and selling their users' private info.

For that reason alone, there are millions, if not billions of people, who never EVER waste their money to purchase any device with google behind it.

NEVER EVER ....

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #21 of 121

I'm sure most here will hate this phone, but it looks pretty good to me.  Solid phone at a great price.  The only thing I can see that it's missing is an external SD slot as Google is against putting them in their phones.

post #22 of 121
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
The only thing I can see that it's missing is an external SD slot as Google is against putting them in their phones.

Huh. Interesting.

“What’s your impli–”

It’s interesting.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #23 of 121
No mention of Google also saying Kit-kat will not be put on the galaxy nexus. Their policy of not supporting upgrades after 18 months really sucks for fandroids. You are not even out of your two year contract and you are locked out if OS upgrades? Ouch!
post #24 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I'm sure most here will hate this phone, but it looks pretty good to me.  Solid phone at a great price.  The only thing I can see that it's missing is an external SD slot as Google is against putting them in their phones.

While the documentation for Android 4.4 mentions IR support, there's no mention of the Nexus 5 having an IR blaster.  That's another feature that would be hard to give up after having it.

post #25 of 121
I'm seeing in my twitter feed that is already sold out.
post #26 of 121

Thats a very nice phone for the price. Other than hurting the iphone a bit, it should piss off the other android manufacturers since the Nexus 5 will sell for half the price of there flagship phones.

post #27 of 121
Fresh meat for the forums. Click traffic, FTW.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 121

One thing it looks like they did copy: The new transition effects in KitKat. Icons now zoom onto the page and when you go into an app it zooms into it. Just like iOS 7.

post #29 of 121
Not a lot of margin in those phones, if you factor in LG%u2019s cut. It really is an LG %u201Coem%u201D phone with Googles name on it after all.

One assumes Google is selling them to lock more people into their %u201CNo reasonable expectation of privacy%u201D network. Ad revenue, behavioral tracking, invasive consolidation (e.g. I recently used someone's gmail account to %u2018share%u2019 an APPLE calendar event with, and the next time I accessed it, instead of it opening in Calendar it opened in a browser window, using %u201CGoogle Calendar%u201D and MY %u201CGoogle %u201D account, which I was pretty sure I never signed up for or activated.

No, not this fool, thank you.

PS: I%u2019ve since shut down all %u201Cgoogle %u201D activity on that account, and am moving myself off any and all google accounts. That really was the last straw. It wasn%u2019t benevolant convenience, it was an uninvited invasion into my workflow. They are so gone!
post #30 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

r-i-i-ight, because all these cutting edge products only have 3-month development cycles, yes?

pretty stupid supposition there, friend...
post #31 of 121
Ah yes... another Nexus phone.

The phone that gets talked about so much... yet is never a big seller.
post #32 of 121
So why did Google buy Moto again? Where's Googleguy for an explanation.
post #33 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I love spending money on Apple products but I love Google as well as long as Youtube and Google Search is for free lol.gif

I am a Cheap Google lover but I am also Premium Apple Buyer (Getting iPad Air tomorrow- Still need iPad Mini w Retina) " src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1cool.gif" style="width:16px;">

YouTube isn’t FREE…….

YOU pay for it with YOUR time clicking through five-second blipverts and full-run advertisements on nearly every video now.

I dropped Hulu+ for Netflix, because Hulu still force-feeds you ads, even when you PAY for their service. Netflix is ad-free.

I dropped YouTube for Vimeo, because a) Vimeo doesn’t force ads on you in-line with videos and b) their content is generally better.

I only visit YouTube when I have no choice now.

I’m tired of being force-fed advertisements EVERYWHERE I turn. Google is leading that charge, right into your telephone handset. But it’s CHEAP! And handsome! You KNOW you want it (wait, here’s a microsoft Surface commercial we want you to see first…. got it? OK!), new Nexus! yumyum!

Can I get a social security number with that email address and phone number? Thanks!
post #34 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So why did Google buy Moto again? Where's Googleguy for an explanation.

I was thinking that myself. Wait… Google owns Motorola Mobility (or whatever it’s called), and yet, LG is making their handsets…? wha…?
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

One thing it looks like they did copy: The new transition effects in KitKat. Icons now zoom onto the page and when you go into an app it zooms into it. Just like iOS 7.

That was introduced in Jelly Bean. 

And just because Google now owns Motorola Mobility doesn't mean the Nexus 5 wasn't already in dev with LG and also doesn't mean Google and Motorola are one company just in a weekend.

post #36 of 121
This piece looks like it was regurgitated out of Google PR. Amazing.
post #37 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At a Friday event in San Francisco...

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that today is a Friday~

post #38 of 121
How the hell did they get up to snuff with Apple that fast? LOL!
post #39 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Sorry dude, but my Nexus 7 tablet does that and has for a long time. Who copied who?

post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Well, their user community certainly didn't read the Motto, they are usually some of the most vindictive, and mean spirited bunch.

I had one of them tell me I was an ass for suggesting that Apple is readying a large screen iPhone for next year and he said they aren't, but he wouldn't take me up on a Gentleman's bet since the stakes were too high.

I have a good friend at work who is pro-Android and completely absorbed by his hatred for Apple. I don't understand why he gets so heated and upset. It used to be just smartphone-related conversations that were issuematic, but now it seems like anything tech-related will drift towards a rant against Apple... so I just do my best not to talk to him about technology.

Personally, I used to build my own computers and never thought twice about Apple... until I borrowed a friend's iPhone 3GS and then had to have my own. I've since replaced all of my personal computing devices with Apple products because I enjoy them, but I've never felt the need to hate on Android. I've tried Android and I don't care for it, but that's it. I'm not going to talk to anybody about it, much less rant about it, because I prefer to talk about the things I like.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat