or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat

Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Glaring omission

Where the heck is the fingerprint sensor? losers

Doomed I Say, doomed ROFL

oh thats right out innovated by apple again
post #42 of 121

I too am amazed by the polar hatred of Android vs IOS... I have both (used to have 3gs then switched to Skyrocket for LTE speeds and larger screen, and now I'm torn between Nexus 5 and 5S)

While there are differences between the two (I'm sure I don't need to list them), I feel the differences are minor and it comes down to preference as to which phone you like best. You are not a tool if you choose Android, and you are not a snob if you choose IOS.

If only Apple released a larger screen iPhone... Nexus vs iPhone would be a lot easier choice... for me anyway...

post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I have a good friend at work who is pro-Android and completely absorbed by his hatred for Apple. I don't understand why he gets so heated and upset. It used to be just smartphone-related conversations that were issuematic, but now it seems like anything tech-related will drift towards a rant against Apple... so I just do my best not to talk to him about technology.

Personally, I used to build my own computers and never thought twice about Apple... until I borrowed a friend's iPhone 3GS and then had to have my own. I've since replaced all of my personal computing devices with Apple products because I enjoy them, but I've never felt the need to hate on Android. I've tried Android and I don't care for it, but that's it. I'm not going to talk to anybody about it, much less rant about it, because I prefer to talk about the things I like.

You have saw the light and have been converted! Hallelujah!!

post #44 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Glaring omission

Where the heck is the fingerprint sensor? losers

Doomed I Say, doomed ROFL

oh thats right out innovated by apple again

Like the one that Motorola had in the Atrix 2.5 years ago?

post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

After visiting their great-grandmother and helping her setup her new iPhone!

Ah, now I know who you are. Brilliant. /s

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #46 of 121
Quote:

Oh, yeah, that awesome Motorola Artix that was such a good phone with such a good implementation of fingerprint sensor that millions of people around the world bought one?

post #47 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I had one of them tell me I was an ass for suggesting that Apple is readying a large screen iPhone for next year and he said they aren't, but he wouldn't take me up on a Gentleman's bet since the stakes were too high.

$1?

post #48 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Cue the Apple is doomed meme because this phone litters up the spec sheet and is cheaper than iPhone. lol.gif

"Litters up?" Seriously? Which components/capabilities do you consider superfluous?

The price is really quite telling, too, especially the storage upgrade cost - HALF what Apple gouges charges.

I won't litter up the thread with details, but consider that any prudent buyer frequently re-evaluates his commitment to iOS. So far it's still winning, but developments like these, combined with Apple's stubborn refusal to lower prices or increase screen width, do test my decision making.

post #49 of 121
Quote:

Yeah, that one...the one that didn't work :rolleyes:

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #50 of 121
Quote:

That worked so well for them. Google should start putting them in all Moto devices. Oh wait.
post #51 of 121

The article didn't even mention the two coolest features!  The dialer will now search the entire Google directory (probably via Maps) to let you call any listed business.  It also does the reverse for incoming calls to provide caller ID for businesses you don't have saved in your contacts.

The second one is that Google search can now provide links to specific pages within apps instead of directing users to a website.  For example a search for a restaurant or a movie could directly open the page for that specific restaurant or movie in the OpenTable or Fandango apps rather than their websites.  I'm under the impression that it won't even redirect you from the mobile site to the app, but will search for pages within apps.

I think those are cool anyway...

post #52 of 121
Quote:

Oh.... THAT'S what he's talking about. What about the Moto X that was introduced 3 months ago and all the extra sensors it has? Who did THEY copy from?

And that whole fiasco about the multiple processor Moto X and about how googles motorola lied about its configuration.  Saying that the X8 processor  was  a custom 8 core and Adnandtech found out that the X8 was really  just all off the shelf chips crammed together not one single custom processor like Motorola Market.  You mean that MotoX?

post #53 of 121
Quote:

Like the ones that laptops had before the Atrix?The Atrix sensor sucked.  My wife had one.  It would work only sometimes, and after about 6 months of use it just quit working altogether.

And it was nothing like the iPhone 5s sensor.  You had to swipe your finger across the sensor just right or it would fail reading your print.

The sensor would fail early because it was unprotected unlike the 5s with the sapphire cover.  The oil and salt would corrode the sensor and make it fail.

The 5s fingerprint sensor just works and it took Apple to get it right.

post #54 of 121
Quote:
Google partnered with South Korean manufacturer LG for the handset.

I find it hilarious that Google spent billions of dollars to acquire Motorola, but won't eat its own dog food and outsources their hardware builds to LG. Priceless. Way to go Google!!
post #55 of 121
Quote:

Sorry dude, but my Nexus 7 tablet does that and has for a long time. Who copied who?

Shoot the Nexus 1 had that.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #56 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This piece looks like it was regurgitated out of Google PR. Amazing.
As opposed to the other 99% of the stories that are 99% out of Apple's PR corps?
I'm no Android or Google fan and not really sure why this 'article' is on AI - Go to Engadget if you want a rundown of all the competition's goings-on.
But all that said (and as an iPhone owner from year 1) I'd be interested to try this phone to see if Google is managing to actually move the ball forward. Apple is definitely dragging their feet with storage capacity and RAM given how much they charge for their devices - it's their classic play book but really needs to change.
post #57 of 121

Please check the google  quality and service of their website :

http://www.android.com/kitkat/

go to bottom and click  Learn more about Android KitKat link its not working .  

This is how the quality standards of great web service company in the world  of kitkat :(

Learn more about Android KitKa about Android KitKa

post #58 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post
I have a good friend at work who is pro-Android and completely absorbed by his hatred for Apple. I don't understand why he gets so heated and upset. It used to be just smartphone-related conversations that were issuematic, but now it seems like anything tech-related will drift towards a rant against Apple... so I just do my best not to talk to him about technology.

Personally, I used to build my own computers and never thought twice about Apple... until I borrowed a friend's iPhone 3GS and then had to have my own. I've since replaced all of my personal computing devices with Apple products because I enjoy them, but I've never felt the need to hate on Android. I've tried Android and I don't care for it, but that's it. I'm not going to talk to anybody about it, much less rant about it, because I prefer to talk about the things I like.

Words of wisdom this... Also, have you been secretly living my life?

post #59 of 121

GOOG  $1030.58

AAPL $522.70

LOL

Keep talking crap about everyone else....it's amusing.

post #60 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

GOOG  $1030.58
AAPL $522.70

LOL

Surely you're not comparing stock prices as if they have the number of shares.
post #61 of 121
GOOG  $1030.58

AAPL $522.70

LOL

What in the world are you implying?

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely he’s not comparing stock prices as if that has anything to do with honesty, integrity, product quality, customer satisfaction, customer retention, ecosystem strength, profit, marketshare growth, and developer payout.

post #62 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

GOOG  $1030.58
AAPL $522.70

LOL

Sorry guys ridiculous post I know. I really shouldn't come from the bar and go on AI.  I think the reason I posted this was I am just annoyed at the blinders people have on for Apple on this site, so much so that most (not all) of the people here cannot discuss technology products in an unbiased way for the life of them. I guess I am pointing out also that regardless of the profits of Apple, they sure aren't making their shareholders much money compared to certain other tech companies regardless of how much they make.  I care because I do own shares of AAPL and want them to do well. I just feel that lately they are lagging a bit and need to step it up to truly get the magic back.  I am not loyal to Microsoft, Apple, or Google products. I use what suits my needs best. I just wish we could have discussions regarding all the products in a semi unbiased way, but, I realize this will never happen on this site and guess I should look elsewhere. Still hoping for the 5" iPhone. 

post #63 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

How ironic that the company with the "dont be evil" motto launch their new product on Halloween.

What's evil about costumed kids collecting candies..?
post #64 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The article didn't even mention the two coolest features!...It also does the reverse for incoming calls to provide caller ID for businesses you don't have saved in your contacts.

The second one is that Google search can now provide links to specific pages within apps instead of directing users to a website.  For example a search for a restaurant or a movie could directly open the page for that specific restaurant or movie in the OpenTable or Fandango apps rather than their websites.

I think those are cool anyway...
Yeah... kinda cool I suppose.

But, do you regularly receive calls from businesses? Most of my calls are from individuals on their cell phones. When I do get a call from a business they are usually in my contacts. It would be useful if it could provide caller ID for individuals not in my contacts though.

Also, when I search for something, I generally want to go to the website first, not to an app. If I wanted to go to an app, I would have started in the app and searched from there.

So while I can see the "cool" factor, I don't see the "useful" factor. Maybe the way I use my device is different from the norm - maybe it's just me.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #65 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

What's evil about costumed kids collecting candies..?
Obviously you haven't met the kids in my neighborhood!

post #66 of 121
Damn, Google can add 802.11ac, but Apple continues to play the stupid carrot and the stick game with iPhone 5s and leaves the feature out. Boo Apple! 1frown.gif
post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Damn, Google can add 802.11ac, but Apple continues to play the stupid carrot and the stick game with iPhone 5s and leaves the feature out. Boo Apple! 1frown.gif

It might have been a battery life issue. Plus 802.11ac is not that big of a deal with smartphones as it is desktops/laptops. Most people don't transfer large enough files to see a big enough difference or transfer them enough.  There aren't a lot of 802.11ac wifi in public places.  Heck most are probably at least one or generations prior.  I know it looks better on paper to have it, but most people are connecting with public wi fi and 802.11 ac in public places is probably another year or two down the road before people start upgrading those systems.

Plus, they might just drain the battery and that's more important at this juncture. 

post #68 of 121

As a tech lover. I don't understand the hate android or iOS, pick a side thing...

I have an iPhone 5c and a Moto X,   I love them both. 

I agree apples software is better than android, but I get WHY people like android. 

It's actually a pretty cool phone OS.  

I would Love to try the new Ubuntu Phone OS, I think Windows Phone 8 is pretty slick too, although I do give MS some crud about not having apps.

Same with Blackberry, I would love to try a Z30. Just for the fun os trying something new. (never tried BB before)

I have an iMac. Love it. I also have a bootcamp partition with Windows 8. Love Both.

Thinking about making a Ubuntu machine, just for the fun of it. 

People need to quit feeling superior to another simply based on their choice of electronics.... 

I think plasma is better than LCD, wanna fight about that too?

Geez people.

No one is allowed to chose what's best for their own needs without some other jerk thinking his opinion is more correct. 

Why do I have to hate one company because I prefer another? 

Let me help you out. I DON'T. 

I will be buying a Nexus 5, just for the fun of trying it out. 

bring on the 5.5" iPhone 6!!!!
bring on the 5.5" iPhone 6!!!!
post #69 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Yeah... kinda cool I suppose.

But, do you regularly receive calls from businesses? Most of my calls are from individuals on their cell phones. When I do get a call from a business they are usually in my contacts. It would be useful if it could provide caller ID for individuals not in my contacts though.

Also, when I search for something, I generally want to go to the website first, not to an app. If I wanted to go to an app, I would have started in the app and searched from there.

So while I can see the "cool" factor, I don't see the "useful" factor. Maybe the way I use my device is different from the norm - maybe it's just me.

Can't disagree with you.  I haven't gotten to use Kit Kat yet, so I can't say whether these features will turn out to create a significantly more useful operating system.  Regardless, neither feature would detract from your experience.  They provide benefits and options at no cost.

post #70 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

And that whole fiasco about the multiple processor Moto X and about how googles motorola lied about its configuration.  Saying that the X8 processor  was  a custom 8 core and Adnandtech found out that the X8 was really  just all off the shelf chips crammed together not one single custom processor like Motorola Market.  You mean that MotoX?

Really? I remember reading that particular review and don't recall Motorola EVER saying it was an Octo or Anand saying ANYTHING about it being a "fiasco".

Matter a fact - a Google search for "moto x x8 fiasco" returns nothing. Did you actually READ that somewhere, or did someone post that here on this forum, and you just swallowed it hook line and sinker without any actual proof?? Unfortunately that seems to be how it works around here most of the time. :no:

post #71 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

It does not matter how hard google and their gangs to try and put all the latest and greatest hardware inside their devices.

It also does not matter how hard they try to make sure android runs with min amount of RAM.

This company has no class no culture and no shame stealing and selling their users' private info.

For that reason alone, there are millions, if not billions of people, who never EVER waste their money to purchase any device with google behind it.

NEVER EVER ....

where is you info selling so i could go buy it and make me  an id 

post #72 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

This company has no class no culture and no shame stealing and selling their users' private info.

What info is stolen or sold?

post #73 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

As a tech lover. I don't understand the hate android or iOS, pick a side thing...

I have an iPhone 5c and a Moto X,   I love them both. 

I agree apples software is better than android, but I get WHY people like android. 

It's actually a pretty cool phone OS.  

I would Love to try the new Ubuntu Phone OS, I think Windows Phone 8 is pretty slick too, although I do give MS some crud about not having apps.

Same with Blackberry, I would love to try a Z30. Just for the fun os trying something new. (never tried BB before)

I have an iMac. Love it. I also have a bootcamp partition with Windows 8. Love Both.

Thinking about making a Ubuntu machine, just for the fun of it. 

People need to quit feeling superior to another simply based on their choice of electronics.... 

I think plasma is better than LCD, wanna fight about that too?

Geez people.

No one is allowed to chose what's best for their own needs without some other jerk thinking his opinion is more correct. 

Why do I have to hate one company because I prefer another? 

Let me help you out. I DON'T. 

I will be buying a Nexus 5, just for the fun of trying it out. 

WOW! A post I can appreciate! As a fellow tech lover I agree!! Buy things... try them out. Play with them!! Hey - Steve Wozniak does!! Why?? Because he's a tech lover! It seems to me that most people that buy Apple products are NOT tech lovers... they buy ONE brand, and ONLY one brand, and seem scared to try something else. 

I understand... if you've bought 13 "Motorola/Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/Fill in Whatever Brand Here" devices and ALL have been duds, not ever buying another ever again... makes sense. But don't throw out everyone else because of it...

Even that crazy Samsung Galaxy Round - looks stupid and probably works equally as bad... so WHAT?? I'd still LOVE to have one and play with it.

I love being device agnostic! :D

post #74 of 121
Quote:

Even that crazy Samsung Galaxy Round - looks stupid and probably works equally as bad... so WHAT?? I'd still LOVE to have one and play with it.

The problem is ..play what???

curved screen will ruin the experience in many games.

otherwise I agree with the post.

Samsung should go bankrupt, everyone else live hapily ever after.

post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

The problem is ..play what???

curved screen will ruin the experience in many games.

otherwise I agree with the post.

Samsung should go bankrupt, everyone else live hapily ever after.

You're obviously NOT a tech lover, nerd, geek, whatever you want to call me... 

Play what?? Just plain PLAY with it... handle it, fondle it, try games, browsing, etc. on it to see how it performs and looks. Try carrying it around and using it for a few weeks. That's it! That's all people like me what to do with technology! I applaud ALL new innovations and can't wait to see where they lead us down the road.

post #76 of 121
Quote:

You're obviously NOT a tech lover, nerd, geek, whatever you want to call me... 

Play what?? Just plain PLAY with it... handle it, fondle it, try games, browsing, etc. on it to see how it performs and looks. Try carrying it around and using it for a few weeks. That's it! That's all people like me what to do with technology! I applaud ALL new innovations and can't wait to see where they lead us down the road.

oh that.

well gl.

<totally off topic>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2410972/Walkie-Talkie-building-Walkie-Scorchie-skyscraper-firm-scaffolding-protect-nearby-shops.html

imagination isn't always good

</totally off topic>

post #77 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At a Friday event in San Francisco

This was announced on Thursday. How does AI get that wrong? Did Google actually show everything off last Friday in secret and no one could say anything till this week?

post #78 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helio View Post

I too am amazed by the polar hatred of Android vs IOS... I have both (used to have 3gs then switched to Skyrocket for LTE speeds and larger screen, and now I'm torn between Nexus 5 and 5S)

While there are differences between the two (I'm sure I don't need to list them), I feel the differences are minor and it comes down to preference as to which phone you like best. You are not a tool if you choose Android, and you are not a snob if you choose IOS.

If only Apple released a larger screen iPhone... Nexus vs iPhone would be a lot easier choice... for me anyway...

I think the hate is directed mostly at Apple's legal team. At least for me it is. With these BS lawsuits like http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/31/google-samsung-and-others-sued-by-rockstar-consortium-over-nortel-patents.

Those are patents that Apple bought that are archaic and from the late 90's. That's not how you compete. That's not how you drive innovation. That's not what consumers want to see.

That's why many Android users hate Apple. It's nothing against the hardware or software. It's the BS like this that drives me away from supporting a company with Apple's legal stances.

post #79 of 121
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

BS lawsuits like

Do you know anything about what you’re saying?

That's not what consumers want to see.

Yeah. It is. We want Google dead. Stealing an entire OS isn’t how you drive innovation.

It's the BS like this that drives me away from supporting a company with Apple's legal stances.

So leave, then.

post #80 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

No mention of Google also saying Kit-kat will not be put on the galaxy nexus. Their policy of not supporting upgrades after 18 months really sucks for fandroids. You are not even out of your two year contract and you are locked out if OS upgrades? Ouch!

That's the beauty of Android. My Galaxy Nexus is already running a 4.4 ROM. Original Motorola Droid will get it soon too. 4 years of up to date! Anyone that bought the Galaxy Nexus (which was labeled as only a developer phone FYI) can easily get KitKat.

But, I do think it's BS that Google doesn't officially release the update. Poor showing. Fortunately, it really doesn't matter. Most ROMs updates often and automatically. It's all good.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat