or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost - Page 2

post #41 of 224
My assumption is that either the overall rank is not mathematically derived from the survey categories, or cost is a disproportionately high component of the overall score. Did J.D. Power explain how they calculated the overall ranking? Because its not explained in the AppleInsider article (which is not surprising)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 224
Count up the white dots vs. the orange and see who won. I also like How Samsung got 5 out of 5 for overall satisfaction, yet, overall, it didn't score a 5/5 on any category. Talk about BS.
post #43 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Did they test the iPad Air? No? Meaningless.

How could they? Their scores are based on customer surveys, aren't they?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 224
I have never used JD Power to influence my buying of cars. Good thing, given that they can't add their own scores correctly. I might have ended up with a Pontiac Aztek. Sure it was utterly hideous, but you sure could get them cheap.
post #45 of 224
4.6 > 5.4

MATH!
post #46 of 224
If samsung is 3.4 3.4 4.4 4.4 5.4 = 21 points / 5 = 4.2

and apple is 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5 1.5 = 19.5 points / 5 = 3.9

using rounding for the stars this scenario (most extreme one) is possible
post #47 of 224

First Tim Cook talks about Market Share stats, then units sold, then web surfing stats, then JD Powers sat scores, now what can he talk about? Samsung has conquered them all. 

Apple used to push innovation, bring out new technology rapidly, make big improvements in software quickly and constantly cut prices. 

The Apple we´re seeing now is holding back tech (TouchID, 802.11AC), they are making small improvements in hardware, not coming out with new categories, and almost never cutting prices like before, in fact they seem to increase them. 

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. Otherwise, it will rot from the inside out over time.

post #48 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How could they? Their scores are based on customer surveys, aren't they?

If this was based only on volunteered customer surveys... the survey says a lot more about Samsung users than anything. "sure this is a piece of crap, but it was really cheap piece of crap... Thank you Mr. Samsung. A+ ". But it also shows math isn't being taught in schools anymore.

Edited by TeeJay2012 - 10/31/13 at 1:40pm
post #49 of 224
I guess JDP has to redo their car rankings. No way BMW or Mercedes will get high marks for cost.

In addition, did they survey consumers that actually bought the device?
post #50 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Huh.  Must be weighted with cost being the biggest factor.  So with that, would a free turd rank best?

Damn funny.

oneof52
oneof52
post #51 of 224

The world seems to think that quality and cheap should go together.  Screw them.

post #52 of 224

wait.

I just made a brick here that I am giving out for free.

it gets infinite stars on price so I guess it is better than the rest then...

post #53 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

First Tim Cook talks about Market Share stats, then units sold, then web surfing stats, then JD Powers sat scores, now what can he talk about? Samsung has conquered them all. 

Apple used to push innovation, bring out new technology rapidly, make big improvements in software quickly and constantly cut prices. 
The Apple we´re seeing now is holding back tech (TouchID, 802.11AC), they are making small improvements in hardware, not coming out with new categories, and almost never cutting prices like before, in fact they seem to increase them. 

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. Otherwise, it will rot from the inside out over time.

I know. It's like it's been 3-4 yrs since the iPad was announced. I remember Jobs creating 7 new product categories in a week.
post #54 of 224
Just using averages alone should land Apple on top.

Five categories, five points each. Apple scored 22 out of 25. Samsung scored 18 out of 25.

How is Samsung getting the award? Based on price?? Oh, I see, the PRICE they must have paid for this %u201Cpaid PR%u201D chart released by J. D. Panders, er, Powers.
post #55 of 224
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. 

Explain where, in the last TEN YEARS of Tim Cook being at Apple, he has done this.

We’ll wait.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #56 of 224

How can Samsung have 5 when every detail metrics are below 5?

post #57 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

JDP seems to think cost = price.

Once again we need to re-educate people about the difference between purchase price and cost.

True cost.

I.e., cost of ownership.

customers don't think like that. They do think cost=price

but still. come someone explain this math to me. Exactly how can Apple get 5 points on all but one area and get second place. I am just not seeing the math here

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #58 of 224
i count more dots on apple than samsung looks like apples a winner 24 dots to 27 (nut said)
post #59 of 224
That is ok. No one really believes JD Power - they are paid to promote products.
post #60 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I know. It's like it's been 3-4 yrs since the iPad was announced. I remember Jobs creating 7 new product categories in a week.

Every week! He made Chuck Norris look like Tinkerbell!

Since Steve passed, that slacker Tim Cook has only managed to reduce the size of the iPad by 20%, the weight by 30%, while doubling the resolution, quadrupling the cpu power and gpu power multiple times over, while selling another 100 million of the devices in the process.

Yep. Epic fail, there, Tim… epic fail…

/s in case anyone missed that in the delivery.
post #61 of 224
http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/919201690/2013-Tablet+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

The 2013 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study--Volume 2 is based on experiences evaluated by 3,375 tablet owners who have owned their current device for less than one year. The study was fielded between March and August 2013. The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%).

Based on this criteria.. yea... the ranking for price might have done it... apple only lost by 2 points in total.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #62 of 224

LOL - ya get what you pay for - "cheap" = Samsung!  

Apple iPad ROCKS - PERIOD

post #63 of 224
Where did you get a free turd?
Can I get one?
post #64 of 224

At least we now know where some of Samsung's marketing dollars were spent. 

post #65 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post
The study was fielded between March and August 2013.

So this was a study done in 2013 of tablets sold in 2012.

post #66 of 224
Here's another question: how did they ask the question on price?
post #67 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

How can Samsung have 5 when every detail metrics are below 5?

Voodoo and flawgic.

I went to the JDP website and they don't explain the math. Then I saw this clause:

*Please note that JDPower.com ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Voodoo and flawgic.

I went to the JDP website and they don't explain the math. Then I saw this clause:

*Please note that JDPower.com ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards.

I suppose one of the questions is Android compatibility. iPad fails at this: 0 stars.
post #69 of 224
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
I suppose one of the questions is Android compatibility. iPad fails at this: 0 stars.

OH HO, YOU’VE SPOKEN TOO SOON!

post #70 of 224

The little bubbles are misleading.  The iPad scored 0.2% less than Samsung tablets, which is effectively equal, yet has 4 overall bubbles compared to Samsung's 5.  I am guessing the price was significantly better for Samsung.  Kindle scored 1% less which in my book is effectively equal too.  Heck, the Study Average score is only 1.7% less than the top score.  So the take away is.  Eh, people like their tablets all about the same and a couple people quizzed here and there would change it all around.

Edited by Brian Ward - 10/31/13 at 2:10pm
post #71 of 224
Screw JD P&A. They are a well padded organization.
post #72 of 224
This is true. For most users the cost is the most important issue. Apple could easily change the impression by setting the 32 GB version as the base model. One advantage is it is not easy for Samsung to match without raising its price.

I can elaborate why I think the iPad is overpriced. Say, if you needs larger memory. If you go to the 32 GB model, you will pay $100 more for $599. You paid $100 for only an addition of 16 GB for a tablet its 16 GB version is already being considered expensive by a lot of people. A 32 GB model will give it a premier impression.
Edited by tzeshan - 10/31/13 at 2:16pm
post #73 of 224
Yes, Walt Mossberg says it is the best tablet he has ever tested and, if you can afford it, hands down get one.

And so we shall, dudes, and so we shall.
post #74 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

So customers are more satisfied with an 199 $ SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7" than an 399 $ iPad mini with retina display ?
Only because of price ?
REALLY ???

If that is true Apple wouldn't survive every super cheap bloat from competition (ultra cheap iPod clones, netbooks, and now cheap 199$ tablets) and still they are there.

Uhhh... AFAICT, Apple hasn't shipped any iPad Airs or Retina iPad Minis yet... so they cannot be included in the ratings.

Which gives rise to the questions: When was the study conducted? What dates of tablet availability are included in the study? What particular tablet devices are included in the study?

I suspect that if a study were made between tomorrow and December 31, that the results would be dramatically different.

This is no slam against J.D. Powers or Sammy (for that matter) -- but product release cycles (for all competitors) can have a significant effect on ratings for a study like this.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #75 of 224
I'm surprised JD Power would rate tablets. It seems like it should have been a clue when they couldn't find the tailpipe. They should stick with cars, although I'm not sure how much credence they deserve after this ranking.
post #76 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is psychotic. The price was never an issue before. How can they possibly justify this?

Five. Five. Five. Five. Five. Two.

Where’s the chart for last time?

And taking it one step further.

At the same time, the firm maintains that its study "measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance):

performance (26%)

ease of operation (22%)

styling and design (19%)

features (17%)

cost (16%)

post #77 of 224
J.D. Power and Associates, sponsored by Samsung.

A Chevy Spark v Mercedes CLA show down would be a walk over for Chevy. Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck will wipe out the high end wine industry ... Oh J.D. Power and Associates have really started a new trend here!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #78 of 224
Lets try value for you money in future can we

How many tablets sit around and gather dust because they are useless. I bet no iPad suffers that fate
post #79 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

Lets try value for you money in future can we

How many tablets sit around and gather dust because they are useless. I bet no iPad suffers that fate

Oh come on, don't bring common sense into this!
post #80 of 224

For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost