or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad Air now available in US Online Apple Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad Air now available in US Online Apple Store - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The 5c at least makes since... it is a different color.  I dislike the Air name.  I would just assume that people call it the iPad in the real world- no way I'm saying "You have an iPad?  I have an iPad Air"

If people ask me which iPad I have, or whether I have one, I'll just say "I have the air", which is what I imagine most people will say.
post #42 of 66

After much debate, I finally decided on buying my first Silver iPad. I ordered from the Apple Store online right at 12am. I'm hoping it delivers on 11/4 as the website says. 

post #43 of 66
Be careful- if you don't keep using your Verizon data account VZ will burn out your SIM card remotely. It just happened to my iPad 3- rendered it a WIFI model unless I pay for a new SIM card with plan.
post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So I did in store pick up and everyone who did got moved to the front to get their devices first. I like the space gray color but the white gets me every time....ATT 32GB

I agree- I would prefer a white w space grey ultimately.
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Be careful- if you don't keep using your Verizon data account VZ will burn out your SIM card remotely. It just happened to my iPad 3- rendered it a WIFI model unless I pay for a new SIM card with plan.

That's not good. This will be my first Verizon iPad. I'm still not sure if I should do the month to month plan or add the iPad to my family plan account to share the data. 

post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Be careful- if you don't keep using your Verizon data account VZ will burn out your SIM card remotely. It just happened to my iPad 3- rendered it a WIFI model unless I pay for a new SIM card with plan.

Nonsense!
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

That's not good. This will be my first Verizon iPad. I'm still not sure if I should do the month to month plan or add the iPad to my family plan account to share the data. 

For ten bucks, I'm going to add it to my family plan. I find that as I never download movies or tv shows other than from WiFi, my unlimited AT&T plan has never been used in that manner. Around 1GB a month seems to be the average, going, rarely, to somewhat less than 2.
post #48 of 66
Was finally able to order online at 12:40 last night. My very first iPad will be in my hands by the 14th. :-)
post #49 of 66
Sorry for the double-post.
Edited by Trubador - 11/1/13 at 10:26am
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


For ten bucks, I'm going to add it to my family plan. I find that as I never download movies or tv shows other than from WiFi, my unlimited AT&T plan has never been used in that manner. Around 1GB a month seems to be the average, going, rarely, to somewhat less than 2.

I think I will end up doing that. I don't use much data on my iPad when I'm away from home.

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nonsense!


That's not nonsense at all- there is a whole Apple thread about it. Don't be dismissive about something you obviously know nothing about.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

For ten bucks, I'm going to add it to my family plan. I find that as I never download movies or tv shows other than from WiFi, my unlimited AT&T plan has never been used in that manner. Around 1GB a month seems to be the average, going, rarely, to somewhat less than 2.

You'd better add it to your family play less bare the risk of VZ burning out your SIM card from lack of use!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Gift cards are the same as cash- sp maybe you got $15.

 

Nope. Transaction already showed up in my account. I got zip, nada! :lol:

 

post #54 of 66

Oh.  Wow.  This thing really is delicate.  So thin, so light.  The difference is very noticeable.  VERY.  Unreal.

 

Personal pickup rocked.  In and out in like 3 minutes.  And a bonus was the gal helping me was seriously hot -- and very enthusiastic.  :)

post #55 of 66

Picked up the 32GB Black model today- they had everything in stock. It's a brilliantly engineered tablet. Only thing I'm noticing is that iOS7 still needs some optimization on the iPad, especially some animations which are jittery- which is completely inexcusable on such powerful hardware. Also, they seriously need to fix the animation when you use the multi-touch close gesture, where the last few frames of the animation cuts out and the icons just jump into place in a jarring fashion.  I assumed it would be fixed in the bestas, but it's still there, on the new iPad Air on 7.03. It's such an obvious thing, I can't see how they wouldn't have noticed/fixed it, especially since it's perfect on iOS6. I expect more when it comes to this kind of attention to detail, very un-Apple like. 

 

I've gotten so used to the size of the mini, so this still feels large in spite of the size decrease, will debate in the next week whether I will keep it or return it and wait for the retina mini. 

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't see how they wouldn't have noticed/fixed it, especially since it's perfect on iOS6. I expect more when it comes to this kind of attention to detail, very un-Apple like.

That is indeed weird; normally they hit home runs with these type of things.
Quote:
I've gotten so used to the size of the mini, so this still feels large in spite of the size decrease, will debate in the next week whether I will keep it or return it and wait for the retina mini.

That's a clever thing to do, try before buy, and use the refund for the Mini - I like it.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Nope. Transaction already showed up in my account. I got zip, nada! lol.gif



Dang. Oh well

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That's not nonsense at all- there is a whole Apple thread about it. Don't be dismissive about something you obviously know nothing about.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0

I read several pages of that. Verizon is sort of screwed up there. Nothing new. Verizon's service has never been good. But one guy claims that the sim gets burned. So you quote that one guy as though he knows what he's talking about. There is no doubt a sim problem. But that doesn't mean that Verizon is deliberately damaging that sim. That doesn't even make sense.

If they did that, then it would cost them a lot more to get your service back, as most people on that thread are trying to do. So something is happening here, but to say that Verizon is deliberately destroying people's sim's is nuts! This is an issue that hopefully Verizon will figure out and fix.
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

You'd better add it to your family play less bare the risk of VZ burning out your SIM card from lack of use!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0

Give it up. It's just plain stupid to believe that. I don't really care what some ignorant posters think Verizon is doing, as opposed to what the real problem is.
post #60 of 66
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
You'd better add it to your family play less bare the risk of VZ burning out your SIM card from lack of use!


To be clear, compared to what some in that thread are saying, YOU personally do not mean that Verizon is physically altering your hardware in any way, correct? By “burning out”, you mean “rendering unusable server-side, necessitating a new SIM from a store”, right?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


To be clear, compared to what some in that thread are saying, YOU personally do not mean that Verizon is physically altering your hardware in any way, correct? By “burning out”, you mean “rendering unusable server-side, necessitating a new SIM from a store”, right?

I HOPE he means that, but I don't think he does. One poster in that thread accused Verizon of burning the sim. The next poster, of course, agreed. So this guy is essentially quoting that guy who said that was what is happening.

He didn't bother to note the posts that shows some people of having problems with the account, but getting it straightening out without needing to pay for a new sim.

A problem some people have, I've noticed over the years, is that they are so eager to blame a company for something, that they don't think the business case for that action through.

Companies screw up. They don't screw up on purpose. They may want to conceal their screwups, and that certainly does happen! But what business case can be made by Verizon for destroying someone's sim? Almost everyone in that thread, at least in the four pages that I read, wanted Verizon to restore their service. They weren't going anywhere else. So now, it costs Verizon anywhere from $10-40 to do that. The larger number is for a new sim to the customer. Some people were charged for the sim, and some weren't . Meanwhile, Verizon loses all of the money they would have collected from these customers if the sim worked properly. This is a case of a bug, and employees who aren't trained properly in the way to handle it. Not a deliberate action to destroy a customers property.
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


To be clear, compared to what some in that thread are saying, YOU personally do not mean that Verizon is physically altering your hardware in any way, correct? By “burning out”, you mean “rendering unusable server-side, necessitating a new SIM from a store”, right?

Verizon permanently disabled, ( fried/ burned) my Sim card when I went to suspend my current LTE account- it was the only option given. So is it 's not physically altered perhaps but it 's rendered cellular useless - as it is now cellular disabled iPad or wifi only if you will. This for a product that I paid a premium of $129 more. I I haven't tried getting a new Sim card yet but I'm hearing that they require now with the preinstalled plan on it going forward. One of the reasons I bought this version of the iPad was so that I could turn the plan on and off easily and now I can't. I travelled last week and used it wifi only which was fine but not acceptable. I will never buy with Verizon again and I doubt a cellular iPad in general . I just bought a WIFI only. iPad Air.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I HOPE he means that, but I don't think he does. One poster in that thread accused Verizon of burning the sim. The next poster, of course, agreed. So this guy is essentially quoting that guy who said that was what is happening.

He didn't bother to note the posts that shows some people of having problems with the account, but getting it straightening out without needing to pay for a new sim.

A problem some people have, I've noticed over the years, is that they are so eager to blame a company for something, that they don't think the business case for 1rolleyes.gif


No-my SIM card was fried/ burned too. Last Friday I
t's pretty easy to get upset and blame a company which never forewarned its customers prior to sale that this was part of the deal we were buying into.
You need to re-read the posts- some had 2 options while others only had one. It was arbitrary.
Edited by pazuzu - 11/3/13 at 10:27am
post #64 of 66
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Verizon permanently disabled, ( fried/ burned)

 

See, those words are generally associated with physical change. You can fry a CPU by installing it without a heatsink. You can burn out a transmission in a vehicle.


“Verizon permanently deactivated my SIM” would be better, or “Verizon bricked my SIM”.

 

I’m not arguing the stupidity of the action–it’s Mr. Bean goes on a date levels of stupid–but just what’s happening in performing it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Verizon permanently disabled, ( fried/ burned) my Sim card when I went to suspend my current LTE account- it was the only option given. So is it 's not physically altered perhaps but it 's rendered cellular useless - as it is now cellular disabled iPad or wifi only if you will. This for a product that I paid a premium of $129 more. I I haven't tried getting a new Sim card yet but I'm hearing that they require now with the preinstalled plan on it going forward. One of the reasons I bought this version of the iPad was so that I could turn the plan on and off easily and now I can't. I travelled last week and used it wifi only which was fine but not acceptable. I will never buy with Verizon again and I doubt a cellular iPad in general . I just bought a WIFI only. iPad Air.

Ridiculous! This doesn't seem to be normal.
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

No-my SIM card was fried/ burned too. Last Friday I
t's pretty easy to get upset and blame a company which never forewarned its customers prior to sale that this was part of the deal we were buying into.
You need to re-read the posts- some had 2 options while others only had one. It was arbitrary.

I said that I read four pages of the posts. And this experience seems to be odd, to say the least, in your description of it, that is.

Can you give a good business reason why Verizon would do that? I've asked for one, but I don't see a response. The answer, of course, is that there isn't one. Something happened to some people's sims, not all of them , but to some, maybe even a majority. But that doesn't mean that Verizon is doing this deliberately. It makes no sense at all. This will cost Verizon as much as it will cost the consumer to straighten out. And then there are bad feelings. Something's happening, but Verizon deliberately burning out a sim is not one of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad Air now available in US Online Apple Store