or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up

Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up

post #1 of 109
Though OS X 10.9 Mavericks is only a few days old, Apple is unsurprisingly hard at work on the next major version of its Mac operating system, with traffic from the unreleased software steadily growing over the last month.

OS X 10.10

Traffic to AppleInsider from Macs running Apple's as-yet-unnamed OS X 10.10 grew throughout the month of October. In the last week, after OS X 10.9 Mavericks was released, traffic saw a significant increase.

Of course, a release for OS X 10.10 likely remains at least a year away, or potentially more. Apple had a 12-month wait between OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and a 15-month window between Mountain Lion and OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

What features or changes OS X 10.10 might include are also unknown, but it's likely that Apple will continue its trend of sharing features between its iOS and OS X platforms. For example, in addition to a number of under-the-hood performance improvements, Mavericks also brought over iBooks and Maps from iOS.

Mavericks

One thing that is known about OS X 10.10 is price: Apple indicated in this week's quarterly earnings conference call that like Mavericks, all future releases of its Mac operating system will be free upgrades through the Mac App Store.

The next major release of OS X 10.10 will also presumably be named after a famous California location, as Apple moved away from its traditional cat names starting with Mavericks this year.

Since its release last week, Mavericks has been off to a rousing start for Apple, with downloads of the free update tracking three-times faster adoption than that of Mountain Lion. The update brings deep architectural enhancements that wring even more battery life out of Apple's laptops, as well as enhanced support for multiple displays, an updated to the Safari web browser, new iCloud Keychain functionality, and a new tabbed mode for Finder.
post #2 of 109

Well, yeah there’s Apple traffic here. Apple has to see what they’re rumored to do, after all. How else will they know what they’re doing next?

But why is the number of visits wiped in that image?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 109

Carrying forward the Excitement.

post #4 of 109
I'm really curious what names they choose to go with for these releases:

Sequoia
Yosemite
Sonoma
Hollywood (not likely)
post #5 of 109
Interesting time for the Mac. I would've guessed that something big was coming within the next couple of years. Like when we first saw OS X so many years ago.

But then why would they start this new naming paradigm? Does that mean we're getting small, annual California-themed upgrades for the next decade? 1frown.gif
post #6 of 109
Mavericks is amazing. I have absolutely no idea how they can get better. Just hope they now keep the battery saving features from Mavs.
post #7 of 109

Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #8 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Sequoia
Yosemite
Sonoma
Hollywood (not likely)

What about Tahoe,  Big Sir, Shasta, just a couple of others.  They may have more names to choose from but I don't know how many "usable" that sounds right, from a marketing perspective.  I think they should have used words from more astronomy, different animal species or maybe famous people from the entertainment or science/technology industry last names (as long as they weren't criminals or politicians, kind of the same thing).

post #9 of 109

East Los Angeles
South Central
Inglewood
Crenshaw
post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Mavericks is amazing. I have absolutely no idea how they can get better. Just hope they now keep the battery saving features from Mavs.

I'd like Messages to loose the bubbly Aqua look.
post #11 of 109
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
Does that mean we're getting small, annual California-themed upgrades for the next decade?

Not small, probably California, and I’d bet that OS X is supplanted before 2020.

post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

East Los Angeles
South Central
Inglewood
Crenshaw

OSX: Compton. All the chrome has a gold chain look and Siri has been renamed to Ho. She will also respond to Yo B*tch

post #13 of 109

I hope they keep focusing in stability but change OSX them altogether.

iOS7-like theme, please. We need similar icons for coherency, similar gestures for multitasking, etc. However, OSX needs a redesign, clearly they didn't had time for Mavericks. It's not because of chromeOS, or Windows 8, or Android... Besides coherency, It's because iOS makes mavericks look 100 years old.

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

post #14 of 109

So not going to OS 11 then. 

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What about Tahoe,  Big Sir, Shasta, just a couple of others.  They may have more names to choose from but I don't know how many "usable" that sounds right, from a marketing perspective.  I think they should have used words from more astronomy, different animal species or maybe famous people from the entertainment or science/technology industry last names (as long as they weren't criminals or politicians, kind of the same thing).

Tahoe is the best name I've seen in regards to the name format and inspiration of the location, but I'm not sure even that would be used. Note that Mavericks is a location but it's not a city or town or park or anything else I'd call official. Google Maps will locate "Mavericks, CA" about 2 miles off the shore of Pillar's Point in the water, but I'm not sure you'll find it on a AAA map. I hope this sets the stage for places that are well known locally around CA but are not places that the world has ever heard of.
post #16 of 109
"The next major release of OS X 10.10 will also presumably be named after a famous California location, as Apple moved away from its traditional cat names starting with Mavericks this year."

Has Apple confirmed the naming strategy? Wouldn't it be much more exciting for them to use famous surfing locations? Surfing is more international, as well.
Kandahar (Mexico)
Tamarindo (Costa Rica)
Waikiki (USA-Hawaii)
Taghazout (Morocco)
Siargao (Philippines)
and on and on......
post #17 of 109
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It’s too soon. Technology has to catch up with the idea first.

post #18 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Sequoia
Yosemite
Sonoma
Hollywood (not likely)

Sequoia is a type of tree, Redwood would be more apt, and a much nicer name. And I'd say Yosemite is a dead certainty at some point. On a personal front I find redwood trees some of the most inspiring things.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #19 of 109
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sequoia is a type of tree, Redwood would be more apt

:???:

post #20 of 109

Kandahar, may an Afghan theme next for the blood to be drawn from Windows and Android!

post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Sequoia

Yosemite

Tahoe

Big Sur

Shasta

Beach Themes:

Malibu

Newport

Carmel

Coronado

Carlsbad

Mountains:

Shasta

Sierra

Mammoth

Lassen

Lots of choices

post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

http://apple.com/feedback
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Why would they force the Mac App Store? That would be exceedingly stupid on a desktop OS.

Quote:

Quote:

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

And there are significant disadvantages for anyone doing things such as development work that requires using programs that will not work at all if sandboxed. Have fun, for example, trying to run a debugger when inside a sandbox. Have fun trying to run VM software in a sandbox. Requiring everything to be sandboxed to be in the Mac App Store would seriously cripple OS X as a development system.

post #24 of 109

Nothing; it has already taken off and there’s no reason to force it.

post #25 of 109

Pipeline.

post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apparently it's going to be "Mac OS ten ten point ten."  Kinda weird, to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

But there is plenty of time for Apple to change the name.

post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Right-click (or control-click) on the update in the Mac App Store and choose Hide Update.  You won't see it again.  

post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apparently it's going to be "Mac OS ten ten point ten."  Kinda weird, to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

What is weird about it? Plenty of software uses the same version number scheme. Also it's not more "mathematically weird" than say 10.8.3 as a version number. Versions numbers != mathematical values and they were never meant to be.

post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Quote:

Why would they force the Mac App Store? That would be exceedingly stupid on a desktop OS.

Quote:

Quote:

And there are significant disadvantages for anyone doing things such as development work that requires using programs that will not work at all if sandboxed. Have fun, for example, trying to run a debugger when inside a sandbox. Have fun trying to run VM software in a sandbox. Requiring everything to be sandboxed to be in the Mac App Store would seriously cripple OS X as a development system.

Because regular desktop OSes are a thing of the past.

I believe common ground can be reached, no? Xcode does it's job, afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing; it has already taken off and there’s no reason to force it.

Nothing close to iOS level, even when adjusted to the discrepancy in numbers of devices being sold. I just see lots of advantages of doing it.

post #30 of 109
to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

Ten comes after nine. Somehow that’s weird?

They’re not changing the name until the OS inherently changes.

post #31 of 109
Quote:

But there is plenty of time for Apple to change the name.

Did you fail math?  10 comes after 9.  Don't know why some of you can't comprehend 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 to indicate 10th, 11th, and 12th update versions of software, should it continue that far.  Some fanbois went ape-shit when Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.  They could not comprehend that Tiger had 11 bug-release fixes.  They insisted that 10.5 came after 10.4.9.

post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Hahaha. Good joke. It's good that Apple doesn't share your absurd outlook on OS X that would basically no longer allow VM software, development tools, etc.

Quote:

Yes, because Xcode is not sandboxed specifically because most of the tools it uses would not work when in a sandbox. Do you honestly not know how things like debugging and performance/memory profiling work?

post #33 of 109

@ GadgetCanada V2: Keep trying. My mid-2007 iMac wouldn't allow me to update due to not meeting the minimum specs. I tried at least a dozen times, and then when it was updating some other software... I think when I clicked on Update All (although that gave me the same error every other time)... the iMovie update downloaded, installed, and works just fine.

post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Quote:

Hahaha. Good joke. It's good that Apple doesn't share your absurd outlook on OS X that would basically no longer allow VM software, development tools, etc.

Quote:

Yes, because Xcode is not sandboxed specifically because most of the tools it uses would not work when in a sandbox. Do you honestly not know how things like debugging and performance/memory profiling work?

In the same way that Xcode isn't sandboxed other apps could have the same status, like parallels, etc, will still being on the MAS.

I know almost nothing about that specific subject, yet.

post #35 of 109

The name isn't going to be any of those old traditional vacation destinations. It will be something cool, young, hip and mostly unknown to the older generation. Something like 'Trestles' .

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 109

I for one am looking forward to more OS X updates named after great surfing spots.  :^)

post #37 of 109
Quote:

In the same way that Xcode isn't sandboxed other apps could have the same status, like parallels, etc, will still being on the MAS.

I know almost nothing about that specific subject, yet.

Yes, you clearly know nothing about the subject. Also, letting third-party software not be sandboxed in the MAS sort of defeats one of the major points of using the MAS in the first place which is that the apps are sandboxed for increased security protection. You realize that it would require enormous effort on Apple's part to verify the security of all the non-sandboxed apps, right? It seems far more logical to just allow people to just install third-party software as they can do now by changing the Gatekeeper settings. Apple also seems to realize this as well and hopefully will never have anyone like you running OS X development.

post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Did you fail math?  10 comes after 9.  Don't know why some of you can't comprehend 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 to indicate 10th, 11th, and 12th update versions of software, should it continue that far.  Some fanbois went ape-shit when Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.  They could not comprehend that Tiger had 11 bug-release fixes.  They insisted that 10.5 came after 10.4.9.

Not failing Math might be the problem because in mathematics 10.10 ( which is exactly the same as 10.1) does not come after 10.9, but 0.8 behind it.

But this isn't math. The dot is not a decimal place. The dot demarcates name and major and minor ( i.e. name.major.minor) release versions. Of course you know that, but it would actually confuse some mathematicians. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Right-click (or control-click) on the update in the Mac App Store and choose Hide Update.  You won't see it again.  

I'm right clicking and control clicking everywhere on the Mac App Store update page and no menu is showing up.

post #40 of 109
Quote:

I see people have responded to you but I haven't seen a specific answer to this. The MAS has specific rules, rules I don't think VLC will pass for the same reason their iOS was pulled, Transmission could be seen as a potential issue for content owners whomApple partners with, and Dropbox needs you to enter your Admin password to install files where MAS files aren't allowed.

I have to wonder why MAS has to be the only option. Right now it's the best of both worlds for Mac users.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up