or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data

After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data

post #1 of 30
In a tweet on Friday, T-Mobile CEO John Legere explained that an "executional mistake" caused some iPad Air buyers to see a $10 per month fee attached to their new tablets, contradicting the "uncarrier's" announced offer of 200MB of free data.

T-Mobile iPad

Without going into detail, Legere assured customers that the promised 200MB of data are indeed free to all comers, and said the issue would be rectified shortly.

November 1, 2013

According to reports, many of those seeing the added $10 monthly charge are existing T-Mobile cellphone subscribers, suggesting the issue lies with accounting methods not meant to be seen by customers.

Shortly after Apple announced the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display last week, T-Mobile announced plans to offer an unprecedented 200MB of free data for the tablets. Of the top four U.S. telecoms, T-Mobile is the only carrier to provide a free data tier, with AT&T charging $14.99 for a similar 250MB per month. Sprint also has a $15 plan, but offers substantially more data at 1GB.

At least one model of T-Mobile's cellular-capable iPads was the first to sell out, with the Online Apple Store showing 5 to 10 day shipping estimates for the largest 128GB space gray Air.
post #2 of 30
Good Evening. My name is "Spell Check." I am out for the evening.
post #3 of 30
Just to be clear, you get this with any new tablet they sell.
post #4 of 30
Is it only for those who bought tablets on t-mobile?
Or can I get this free 200MB plan with my ATT version of iPad 3?
post #5 of 30

Oprah impressionist:  "YOU get 200MB, and YOU get 200 MB, and YOU get 200 MB..."

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #6 of 30
The "report" is wrong. I was never a T-Mobile customer and I was charged the $10 fee as well....
post #7 of 30

200MB, awesome! What is that, like a few webpages these days?

post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Dude it is free! Further, I read my email and surf the web daily all month long and do not crack 200MB. Plus most people have a wi-fi connection at home, work, and places like coffee shops.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I use my iPad on-the-road infrequently enough that it may be perfect for me without having to sign up every month I want to use it. On my iPhone I barely go about 300MB each month and I would say I'm a heavy iPhone user it's just that I'm very frequently in range of WiFi networks.
post #10 of 30
I applaud TMobile for this idea. Perfect for those who rarely need cellular but a few times a month and lets you hit up their towers if something important arises when you need it. I'm a fan of businesses with a "customer-first" mind set personally. I wish that att merger went thru and maybe that thinking woulda rubbed off on them.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I applaud TMobile for this idea. Perfect for those who rarely need cellular but a few times a month and lets you hit up their towers if something important arises when you need it. I'm a fan of businesses with a "customer-first" mind set personally. I wish that att merger went thru and maybe that thinking woulda rubbed off on them.

As a T-Mobile customer, I am very happy the merger did not go through. AT&T wanted T-Mobile to stop this type of innovative thinking.
post #12 of 30

Suppose I bought an iPad via T-Mobile. I'm out somewhere that is out of T-Mobile's network, and I just have to get online. Can I subscribe to AT&T's mobile monthly plan for one month to get online through their network? (assuming I have a signal)

post #13 of 30
200 Mb... How generous of them, hahaha!! What can one do with 200Mb? It is nothing. It is worthless. To be usable in practice, 10Gb is a minimum.
post #14 of 30
Can someone answer this?

Is it 200mb free every month for the life of the device?
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hspanhs View Post

200 Mb... How generous of them, hahaha!! What can one do with 200Mb? It is nothing. It is worthless. To be usable in practice, 10Gb is a minimum.
Pretty sure you're sitting a few Gs outside of the bell curve there dude.

censored

censored

post #16 of 30
Originally Posted by hspanhs View Post

I am fully and completely against the pathetic capping and throttling done by telecoms, but you’re totally wrong.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #17 of 30
I don't understand you people. You make fun of t-mobile for 200 FREE MB per month, which NO ONE else is doing.

And to clarify t-mobile is giving away UNLIMITED data for FREE. The first 200 MB is LTE and then you are slowed down to 2G. If you want more than 200 MB LTE you simply need to buy a bigger package.

For anyone that thinks this is a poor plan, you need your head examined.

- sent from my iPad air on t-mobile. :-P
post #18 of 30
Yes, 200 MB every month. You need to be an existing t-mobile customer with a data plan on your mobile phone plan.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I use my iPad on-the-road infrequently enough that it may be perfect for me without having to sign up every month I want to use it. On my iPhone I barely go about 300MB each month and I would say I'm a heavy iPhone user it's just that I'm very frequently in range of WiFi networks.

I smash through 3 GB per month easily.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinfl View Post

Yes, 200 MB every month. You need to be an existing t-mobile customer with a data plan on your mobile phone plan.

That sucks. I was actually considering trading in my iPad 3 to Apple today to get an iPad Air on T-Mobile but if I also need to have a cellular phone plan with them it's just not going to happen.
post #21 of 30
I wonder if they'll expand this to smartphones like the iPhone on prepay plans? A cross-country move meant shifting my 3gs to AT&T to get better coverage in a small university town. I'd be willing to live with that one less bar if going back meant a sip of free data each month. I'm not always in range of WiFi.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You'd need to pay for a data plan then, but there are plenty of people who don't use much, at all. Either because they're covered by Wi-Fi almost all the time or because only use cellular to check e-mail and visit some websites. If you save Netflix, YouTube, and downloads (apps, music, etc) for Wi-Fi you save a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post
That sucks. I was actually considering trading in my iPad 3 to Apple today to get an iPad Air on T-Mobile but if I also need to have a cellular phone plan with them it's just not going to happen.

There seems to be lots of confusion right now, on the website, among retail stores, and news sites but many have reported activating their iPad Air on the 200 meg plan w/o any existing service and without having to put in a credit card, otherwise.

post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well done, you'll want a plan then. The free option is for light users.

censored

censored

post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

There seems to be lots of confusion right now, on the website, among retail stores, and news sites but many have reported activating their iPad Air on the 200 meg plan w/o any existing service and without having to put in a credit card, otherwise.

I have some time for them to work out the specifics since I'm more interested in the Retina iPad Mini.
post #25 of 30

Went to T-Mobile retail store in Old Town Pasadena, CA this afternoon. The accounting system still won't allow me the free 200MB. The staff went out of their way and called someone in the HQ who refused to give the free data.  I hope I will eventually get the $10 credit as publicly promised by their CEO.  Yes, there is a $10 fee for sim card, (and $75 stocking fee, if I return the iPad). 

post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchhrr View Post

(and $75 stocking fee, if I return the iPad). 

One reason I try to buy at Apple Store is there are no restocking fees.
post #27 of 30
200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G, T-Mobile says come on in to our overage trap.

Here in Australia Vodafone charges $20 for 2.5GB.

The US used to be ahead of us in this regard.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G.

That is a very disingenuous way to look at cellular usage, as well as grossly inaccurate*. I'm responding to this message on my LTE enabled iPhone which will take about 2 minutes to load, read all the new replies, choose to comment on your post, load the comment for your post, write the reply and post it, but I'm not being charged 4.8GB for that 2 minutes.

* 200MB over 5 seconds equates to about 320Mb/s?
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G, T-Mobile says come on in to our overage trap.

Here in Australia Vodafone charges $20 for 2.5GB.

The US used to be ahead of us in this regard.

This isn't an attack, btw. But, just so you know you put your foot in your mouth with comment. It's not that bad, though. You are just ignorant of T-mobile USA's differentiation. They throttle instead of charge an overage fee. Overage fees are an AT&T and Verizon's thing.

post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinfl View Post

Hmm I guess I should've done research before canceling the AT&T air for a tmobile.

I think some people are missing a great thing about this.

FIND MY IPHONE/iPAD WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE NOW

I have a iPad 2 with cellular but never spring for a 30$ plan as I am usually near a wifi. Unfortunately you had to buy a data package to track it if lost or stolen.

Still couldn't justify the cost versus usage. I was gong to go without the cellular option this round ...

But now with this, I can always have the option for light email and find my iPhone options on the road.

This is awesome.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data