or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's late-2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Apple's late-2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post
 

ALERT:  Battery life on brand new retina macbook pro not as stated.  See below.

 

 

ALERT:  Mail is a power hog.  

 

Disable spotlight from scanning Mail and Messages (System Prefs, Spotlight) and see if it gets better.  

 

It also power hogs when the mail index is borked.  If turning off spotlight doesn't help go to 

 

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

 

Delete files and let mail reindex.  Beware if you have an asston of email messages.  Back up first.  (read thread below...there can be complications)

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1563827

 

Plus Mail is having issues with Gmail.  There's probably some reindexing churn if you're using that.

 

ALERT:  When any process shows 1:45:17.20 CPU use in less than 4 hours of run time you left "light" use 2 hours ago.  You're essentially running your one of your cores at 50%+ CPU load.  That probably is messing with the energy saving code in Mavericks in a big way.

 

There's nothing wrong with your hardware.  And you should plug that puppy in anyway.

post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You've got to be kidding. That's nowhere near a heavy use case, and would struggle to be described as moderate. MacBooks have been running flash and GotoMeeting for years without that kind of battery problem. And saying that a 71% battery life and a 70% brightness claim is suspicious is ridiculous. It's perfectly reasonable for two numbers to be close, and not indicative of anything.

Ruzzell, I don't doubt anything you've said, but your experience seems so far outside of the norm for an Apple laptop (especially their most recent, and claimed most power efficient one) with little evidence that it's part of a widespread problem, that I think you must have just been incredibly unlucky. It does happen, I had a friend who had three iPods die on him within the space of six months while mine and most other peoples kept on cranking out the tunes for years. He didn't treat them badly, he was just unlucky. I'd suggest (if you can) that you try an Apple Store and show them that battery percentage and time remaining and get a replacement set up then and there in the store so you can check the difference.

Heavy use is not based on how the user sees themselves but what is running on the user's system. Absolutely nothing about his screenshots shows his MBPs have been faulty and his claims that Apple is lying to every MBP user are ridiculous. You two need to educate yourselves on what is being measured and what "up to 8 hours" means.
post #43 of 57
"Up to 8 hours" of wireless web or movie playback, to be exact; a fairly normal use case, and not altogether unlike basic Safari and Mail use, with Flash diddling mostly in the background and GoToMeeting diddling mostly in the background. Neither of those things should account for a >50% loss in battery life.

I don't think Apple are lying either, I think something is wrong with his MBP, but you need to educate yourself about reasonable expectations.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

"Up to 8 hours" of wireless web or movie playback, to be exact; a fairly normal use case, and not altogether unlike basic Safari and Mail use, with Flash diddling mostly in the background and GoToMeeting diddling mostly in the background. Neither of those things should account for a >50% loss in battery life.

I don't think Apple are lying either, I think something is wrong with his MBP, but you need to educate yourself about reasonable expectations.

From my extensive experience the mostly cause of poor battery life and poor WiFi are from user error not from blanket statement about Apple lying or all of Apple's products being faulty. As I stated previously it's technically possible but not likely and both his insufficient evidence to support his initial claim and later screenshots point to him not knowing what he's talking about. You have ignored the Mail usage time and oddly thinking that video playback doesn't mean something very specific. Hint: You won't get 8 hours out of an MKV or AVI in VLC.
post #45 of 57
"The Mail usage time"? You're stretching man, however much extensive experience you have. Mail isn't a battery killer, not by anyone's measure. And video format isn't the issue, whatever you want to claim I'm thinking (psychic are you?)

You're making bad excuses in place of useful suggestions.

Ruzzell, if it isn't meeting expectations, then return it. I think there's probably something wrong with your unit, but if you were to take it to an Apple Store and explain your usage maybe they could make some other suggestions. It's not really probable that a forum will be able to help you out based on a snapshot of activity monitor.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

"The Mail usage time"? You're stretching man, however much extensive experience you have. Mail isn't a battery killer, not by anyone's measure. 

 

His screen shot proves that Mail is the battery killer.  Simply Google "mail 100% CPU mac".  Mail was showing 1 hour 45 min of CPU usage and he was claiming around 4 hour run time (half what Apple states).  That means that Mail was pegging one of his cores a lot.  Even 12% is high.

 

My mini has been running 24 hours with mail.app running.  It's around 9 minutes of total CPU run time. 

 

It's not a stretch.  It's f*cking obvious what's causing the problem.

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

"The Mail usage time"? You're stretching man, however much extensive experience you have. Mail isn't a battery killer, not by anyone's measure. And video format isn't the issue, whatever you want to claim I'm thinking (psychic are you?)

You're making bad excuses in place of useful suggestions.

Ruzzell, if it isn't meeting expectations, then return it. I think there's probably something wrong with your unit, but if you were to take it to an Apple Store and explain your usage maybe they could make some other suggestions. It's not really probable that a forum will be able to help you out based on a snapshot of activity monitor.

If you can't look at those Activity Monitor screenshots and tell that Mail is using an abnormally high and excessive amount of CPU cycles and power then you shouldn't be commenting on a technical forum. There is very extrapolation required to understand its impact and zero math required. This is not up for discussion unless you want to claim that Activity Monitor is wrong.

So why exactly do you claim this is mostly likely a HW issue despite this happening on multiple Macs? Why do you not think this can't be a SW issue with those results? Why do you and Ruzzel think it's OK to exclaim from on high that Apple is a liar and that no MBP HW can match their stated battery times?
post #48 of 57

Reading back, I've been a bit of a jerk here, I apologise.  nht's post at the top of this page is good.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #49 of 57
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post
ALERT:  Battery life on brand new retina macbook pro not as stated.
 
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post

Battery life on this machine is substantially less than what Apple claims.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

 

Well, stop the FUD. Second, I imagine you just got it, so do this: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

 

It’ll help.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #50 of 57

Thank you very much for your insight guys.  I will try what Cartography! recommended above right away.

 

Akquies:  You have a tone which is unbecoming to a forum like this which is about people helping each other find solutions and sharing positive ideas.  If your motivation is not to help with this issue, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in your feedback.

 

Obviously, it was just coincidence that the remaining battery life in the above screenshot showed 70% and I have my monitor brightness set to about 70%.  I've been using Apple products for many years and own 2 other Macbook Pros as well as a 27" iMac, 2 iPads, and an iPhone.  I know how these products are supposed to work and how they normally are consistent in terms of battery life to what Apple claims.  However, in this case with this brand new Macbook Pro, the battery gets about 50% of the life they claim.  I've tried trouble shooting not only with their level 2 support, but also on my own to no avail.  I put in the latest update yesterday and restarted, and it reindexed the Mail, but the same battery life exists.  Since this is the second computer I have (as one was already replaced last week), my hunch is that there is some kind of setting I have on or some kind of software hogging power, but I can't find it nor can the Apple tech support guys.

 

Here's a shot of remaining battery life and correlating time from just moments ago.   As you can see, there is 83% left but only 3:45 minutes.    

I love this computer and it's making me much more efficient in my work, but this battery life is about the same as my 3 year old Macbook Pro and nowhere near the time Apple claims.  If someone from Apple is reading this, please contact me here.

 


Edited by Ruzzell - 11/8/13 at 9:37am
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post

Thank you very much for your insight guys.  I will try what Cartography! recommended above right away.

Akquies:  You have a tone which is unbecoming to a forum like this which is about people helping each other find solutions and sharing positive ideas.  If your motivation is not to help with this issue, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in your feedback.


Obviously, it was just coincidence that the remaining battery life in the above screenshot showed 70% and I have my monitor brightness set to about 70%.  I've been using Apple products for many years and own 2 other Macbook Pros as well as a 27" iMac, 2 iPads, and an iPhone.  I know how these products are supposed to work and how they normally are consistent in terms of battery life to what Apple claims.  However, in this case with this brand new Macbook Pro, the battery gets about 50% of the life they claim.  I've tried trouble shooting not only with their level 2 support, but also on my own to no avail.  I put in the latest update yesterday and restarted, and it reindexed the Mail, but the same battery life exists.  Since this is the second computer I have (as one was already replaced last week), my hunch is that there is some kind of setting I have on or some kind of software hogging power, but I can't find it nor can the Apple tech support guys.

Here's a shot of remaining battery life and correlating time from just moments ago.   As you can see, there is 83% left but only 3:45 minutes.    
I love this computer and it's making me much more efficient in my work, but this battery life is about the same as my 3 year old Macbook Pro and nowhere near the time Apple claims.  If someone from Apple is reading this, please contact me here.

How is anything with you "obviously a coincidence" when you think you have two bad MBPs which could just be a coincidence but claim is proof that Apple is a big ol' liar and that all MBPs suffer the same proposed HW defects as yours? You clearly don't didn't think thats a coincidence or you wouldn't have arrogantlymade your irrational statements.
post #52 of 57

Akquies:  You are a piece of work for assuming I'm here for any other reason than to get my new Macbook Pro running right.  Go troll other forums for your victims as you are not welcome here unless you can offer specific advice for a solution.

 

Tallest Skil:  I went to that link.  Thank you.

post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post

Akquies:  You are a piece of work for assuming I'm here for any other reason than to get my new Macbook Pro running right.  Go troll other forums for your victims as you are not welcome here unless you can offer specific advice for a solution.

Tallest Skil:  I went to that link.  Thank you.

This is an internet forum to discuss relevant topics not for you to make claims of doom and gloom you can't hack up with facts. If you weren't trolling you won't have issued your warning of how Apple twicked you and how we should all beware of Apple's claims.

Even now, days later with your "claimed" horrible battery life you sttill haven't shown you've done any due diligence to show you have done anything to figure out what is going on.

Here is my remaining battery life with a new 15" MBP playing a 720p video. You see that? 5.75 hours remaining while watching a 720p video. You don't know why that's possible? Because it's in iTunes, or rather, a video player that can use HW acceleration. It's been spelled out to you yet you probably think playing a video in Flash in a browser should get you the same 8 hours of video playback.


How 'bout them Apples?

You've already bitched and moaned enough about battery life and then stupidly showed Activity Monitor showing your activities that are draining the battery fast. Don't blame me for your incompetence. Suck it up and learn from your mistake.


PS: Let's be clear how you started your comments here…

Alert: Battery life on this machine is substantially less than what Apple claims.

Yet you want us to believe that this claim is a reasonable start to just wanting assistance with something you claim is an isolated situation.

Then, SIZE=4]There are minimal resources being used according to the activity monitor.[/SIZE]

and... There is nothing abnormal about what is going on in activity monitor in terms of CPU or energy use,

Which you proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that was not the case, at least with the screenshots shown.

You also repeated this again…
Alert: Battery life on this machine is substantially less than what Apple claims.

Now why am I suppose to think you're not a concern troll just wanting help with an unfortunate luck of the draw with all that crap written?
Edited by akqies - 11/8/13 at 10:16am
post #54 of 57

That's not the screenshot I put in of my battery life.  That's your photo.

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post
 

That's not the screenshot I put in of my battery life.  That's your photo.

 

Which part of "Mail is what is wrong" is confusing you?

post #56 of 57

I ordered a custom 15" with a 1TB SSD and all the bells and whistles a while back... It's back ordered and now pushed back again... I'm wondering how many others are suffering from supply constraints?? This will affect the quarterly numbers and the price of the stock if these delays continue... What's the hold up Apple???????

post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post

That's not the screenshot I put in of my battery life.  That's your photo.

If posting the text "Here is my remaining battery life…" followed by a screenshot showing my remaining battery life confuses you then I can definitely see how you are confused by your own Activity Monitor results..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's late-2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display