or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air

Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air - Page 2

post #41 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Typical troll nonsense. It never has and never will be a big deal on tablets that actually sell.

No one cares.

Get Side by Side. It's an app that goes up to 4 Windows.  And it's f-ing FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

http://leibao.webs.com/Apps_by_Bao_Lei/Side_by_Side.html

post #42 of 170
Just held one at the Apple store. The drop in weight from an iPad 3 is definitely noticeable. I think I'll wait for the retina mini though. The only advantage I can see to the full size iPad is touch typing. For the difference in price you could buy the mini plus an actual bluetooth keyboard for less than the cost of the iPad Air.

I was planning on buying a leather smart case but after handling them in store they added significant bulk and looked like plastic. definitely a smart cover for me.
post #43 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I like my new iPad Air a lot (32GB, WiFi), but goodness, Safari has bee crash happy on this damn thing. I don't know if it's the extra overhead created by the 64-bit processor or "only" 1GB of RAM, but I've experienced more Safari crashes in the past three days than I have on my iPhone 5 in the past few months. And I never have more than 5 or 6 tabs open at once.

Are you running other apps that are memory hungry?

post #44 of 170

I gotta say that I love my iPad Air, but it still could be lighter. I definitely feel a difference between it and the mini. I think this is because I tend to hold both in landscape mode, and holding it by one end, the Air has a longer lever arm and larger moment of inertia. It torques my wrist more than the mini does, and resists my flipping it around more. This isn't a major complaint, but it is noticeable. When I take the mini out of its case, it seems like it weighs almost nothing. With the Air, I do notice that it weighs a bit more than nothing.

Jetsons' world problem, I know.

Other than that, this thing is flat-out amazing. I really feel like I'm holding something from the future when using it.

Does anyone else think that the blues are a bit ...intense... on it? I swear it seems like the Facebook app fairly glows. Maybe it's just that this is my first iPad with a color-corrected retina display. Photos look fine. It's just blue icons and backgrounds that seem to pop a bit.

post #45 of 170
Quote:

I like my new iPad Air a lot (32GB, WiFi), but goodness, Safari has bee crash happy on this damn thing. I don't know if it's the extra overhead created by the 64-bit processor or "only" 1GB of RAM, but I've experienced more Safari crashes in the past three days than I have on my iPhone 5 in the past few months. And I never have more than 5 or 6 tabs open at once.

I did experience Safari crashes, but all on this website. I hope Apple didnt made a mistake with memory, 100mb free out of 1g with only Safari running seems tight to me.
post #46 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Are you running other apps that are memory hungry?

Nope. Safari, Mail, Facebook. That's about it. I haven't played any games today or anything memory intensive.
post #47 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

Yeah, get back to your (employees) surface forum so you can blow each other whilst waxing lyrical about 2 shit apps on the page at a time and comparing flip out stands.

We aren't shills, we are just clever enough to know what's great and not stupid enough to put up with crap that other companies put out.

post #48 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I would have literally bet a million dollars the iPhone 5s was the only device to get Touch ID this year. And I don't think it's to keep the iPhone 5s at the top of the pile like Gruber suggested in his bollox 'forward looking' comment. I think the 2 reasons why the 5s was the only device getting Touch ID this year was: 1. product clarity, in terms of the product, the customer and marketing, and 2. to give Apple 1 year to test Touch ID in the marketplace before adding it to all of their products. Could you imagine the catastrophic failure it would be if after 6 months in the real world Touch ID started failing? Apple would have to recall every new iDevice sold over that period.

And the bonus for Apple is this time next year, when they feel comfortable with Touch ID they can start slapping it on all new high end iOS devices.

It has been said many times before that the reason why iPhone 5s is short on stock is because they weren't able to keep up with the production of the touch ID components...

post #49 of 170
Quote:

The iPad 6 (Air 2) is seriously going to kill:

And the iPad 7 is going to be better than the iPad 6, but so what?

We live in the here and now, and the iPad Air is killer. What good does an iPad 6 do anybody today? Nothing, that's what.

I prefer to enjoy the present, and I'll enjoy the future too, when that time comes. 

Meanwhile, the procrastinating dude who's always waiting around for the next version might get hit by a bus tomorrow, and they'll never get to enjoy their hypothetical iPad 6, which might be available in 12 months from now. 

post #50 of 170
Quote:

I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

Actually, intelligent discussions are quite welcome. Come back and talk to us when you’re ready to engage in one.
Edited by tribalogical - 11/3/13 at 8:05pm
post #51 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chips don’t exist.

Let’s be honest: not a single word in this post is the truth.

:D

There are Android smartphones with 802.11ac (HTC One, for example), but who knows how good they are.

post #52 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Let’s be honest: not a single word in this post is the truth.

1biggrin.gif

There are Android smartphones with 802.11ac (HTC One, for example), but who knows how good they are.

post #53 of 170
I don't find IOS7 choppy on my ipad3 and I have 8 tabs open in Safari at the moment....but sure, sometimes tabs reload. More memory would be nice but I don't find the current situation problematic per say. I also don't mind having only one window open at a time. Sometimes I need to hop back and forth between Safari and Mail but the switching is pretty fast. On a small screen, multiple windows would be hard to manage.....
post #54 of 170
Quote:

Interesting performance numbers.  So the Moto X has 802.11ac, too.  Google says the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4 are also using the same Broadcom chipset.

Edited by runbuh - 11/3/13 at 8:25pm
post #55 of 170
I'm loving my Air except Safari does crash from time to time. I don't have issues with any other browsers or apps so maybe it's a Safari issue, not hardware.
post #56 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

Looks like performance is the bomb and the weight drop is desireable (especially coupled with the change to the rounded corners).
I'm still really disappointed that the touch Id was not included in the ipad air or iPad mini... I don't know why... But I am. Although the cameras could use a better bump, I wasn't too surprised/disappointed in that... And why no AC wifi?

Not quite compelling enough yet to upgrade from ipad3. Getting close though. I hate waiting...

Don't forget twice as fast! :)

post #57 of 170
Quote:

....not a single word in this post is the truth. Shut up and go away.

Get some sleep, Bro! :)

post #58 of 170
Quote:

Why do I not believe you own an Air.

I don't know. Maybe because you don't believe his observations could be obtained without owning one--that test driving in the store is insufficient.

The jump from iPad 3 to Air is super--really worthwhile. The jump from iPad 4 not so much, because (IMHO) of the stuttering alluded to that still exists with the Air.

I also see the 1 GB RAM as being a key limitation that will coerce people to upgrade sooner rather than later.

post #59 of 170

>The next step of course would be user profiles so when my son used his finger, it would limit the apps that could be used, etc.<

Now you're talking! And when/if user accounts (ever) come to iPad, that'd be an excellent feature. The person who picks it up can only use his/her own account ('side') of the device. Let's see what the mythical iPad pro brings next year. 

post #60 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Con:

• Cameras could use improvement, but does it matter?
  • No Touch ID

These Cons, while expected and not reasonable, I can at least agree with.

Quote:

The iPad 6 (Air 2) is seriously going to kill:

Improved display
8MP camera
802.11ac
Touch ID
A8

You'll need an excuse not to buy it.

These are certainly things I will want to see but how exactly do you expect the display to be improved. Surely you aren't saying they will double the resolution again.

Quote:

The chips don’t exist.

Be careful with those pithy replies. Someone could take you literally to mean 802.11ac chips don't exist at all or for any mobile device. The fact is they simply aren't at a level that are up to par for Apple, just like with Apple and LTE chips which they knocked out of the park with LTE that matched their 3G power usage. AnandTech shows that the iPad Air's MIMO 802.11n is faster than a lot of devices that are using 802.11ac.

Quote:

I know these things seem independent of one another, but you really need to think about the usability...opening the Smart Cover, followed by a Touch ID authentication, seems to be less than ideal.

But it's even less than ideal to open it up and then input your PIN which I don't think people will do. Touch ID's security with convenience is something I wish all devices had, including Macs.
post #61 of 170
I am surprised you guys continued to feed that troll instead of ignore him. Saw the iPad Air last night and you do need to hold it to believe it. It was like holding the mini for the first time compared to the brick of the prior iPads. I am considering selling my iPad mini for the Air, because the Air is as beautiful as the mini and only slightly heavier, but not by much. Easily held with one hand. The A7 in the Air is so fast, especially compared to the A5.
post #62 of 170
Quote:

That says nothing about how much battery life it will have. Let's remember this is Apple so if they announce they are using a new WiFi standard then they will list a single WiFi time based on that standard or split them up into multiple items.

Just like with LTE the benefit of reducing the time needed to send or receive data can increase battery life but this doesn't usually happen out of the box and I can't think of a single first generation wireless tech that achieved that. When the chip is small and power efficient enough for Apple it will be added. They have a long of history of this.

post #63 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm loving my Air except Safari does crash from time to time. I don't have issues with any other browsers or apps so maybe it's a Safari issue, not hardware.

I've had Safari stalls on both Mac and iOS (iPad mini) and cured them by opening Settings/Prefs and clearing the history and cookies (noting that, possibly, iCloud may restore/transfer those things even if you don't know it!) 

post #64 of 170
Quote:

The Air is nice but let's be honest the iOS7 is choppy on this device. The multitasking still sucks and again is choppy, the lack of 2 apps side by side is again a major short coming and 1GB of ram is a huge disservice. I can barely get 5 tabs on Safari without a refresh.

I realize if this was Microsoft people would be up in arms and rightfully so, but because it's Apple things are acceptable as always. The fact that 16GB is still priced at $499 which is woefully inadequate these days makes
me laugh even more.

I'm sure the apologists will bash this post but I don't expect much from Appleijsider these days (I feel like they are paid Apple shills).

It's always great when someone like you posts nothing but horse-shit, non-sensical ramblings, and pre-emptively mocks any response to the specious claims by defining them in advance as "apologists" and "paid shills". It completely cements and confirms the fact that you're nothing but a cowardly troll and you have no interest in any reasonable, honest dialog. 

So, let's look at the facts. Benchmarks show the iPad Air decimating every single other tablet out there. Every single in depth review I've read (about a dozen) contains only extremely positive words about the performance, that the iPad runs like butter, is ultra-fast in every single situation, with nary a hiccup or a stutter, and that there's nothing that was thrown at it that managed to slow it down even a tad. Not ONCE negative word about performance. Oh, and I also happen to own one, and can confirm these findings.

So, there's only 2 scenarios here. One, is that you somehow have a defective unit, something I have yet to hear of, the chances of which are probably one in a million. Or two, you're a shameless liar, something that would seem infinitely more probably considering the tone of your post, and your previous posts. 

In the fictional scenario that you actually DID buy, and have decided to keep the product, I have to say you must be deranged in some way. I don't know who would CHOOSE to buy and keep a device, and then call anyone who says anything positive about it a paid shill, state that you believe it's a ripoff, not to mention expecting it to somehow behave in a way that you knew it would not (ie. 2 windows side by side). It's a level of irrationality that borders on insanity. (PS- if anyone gave a shit about side by side windows on a tablet, the Surface wouldn't only have sold 2 million units in the past year, while the iPad has sold close to 60 million in that same timeframe)

post #65 of 170

So that drew0200 really is a shill account for Microsoft, can the mods delete that account?

post #66 of 170
Quote:

Anyway. I'm done with this thread. The responses on here are clearly fanboyesque at worst and unintelligent at best. I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

Don't forget to post a copy of your receipt before you go...

1wink.gif
post #67 of 170
I just got my ipad air tonight and I have to say what a difference, this thing is a whole new experience, it's not heavy in the hand nod it feels awesome!!!!its very snappy too what an improvement!!!1biggrin.gif
It's been a long wait for an ipad update but the wait was well worth it!
post #68 of 170
Quote:

The Air is nice but let's be honest the iOS7 is choppy on this device. The multitasking still sucks and again is choppy, the lack of 2 apps side by side is again a major short coming and 1GB of ram is a huge disservice. I can barely get 5 tabs on Safari without a refresh.

I realize if this was Microsoft people would be up in arms and rightfully so, but because it's Apple things are acceptable as always. The fact that 16GB is still priced at $499 which is woefully inadequate these days makes
me laugh even more.

I'm sure the apologists will bash this post but I don't expect much from Appleijsider these days (I feel like they are paid Apple shills).
Quote:

me laugh even more.

Microsoft troll earning a few pennies!
Hone your skills bro! More thn obviouse !
post #69 of 170
I am also experiencing Safari slowing down after four tabs are open on the iPad Air. Also, I keep getting the blue screen of death when I install Photoshop on the floppy drive. Damn iPad.
post #70 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

...and clearing the history and cookies (noting that, possibly, iCloud may restore/transfer those things even if you don't know it!)

I'd wish iCloud would sync Safari History across all devices, but alas, only tabs, reading list and bookmarks.
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/#safari

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard can it be"
post #71 of 170
Fifth generation Air? Last time it checked, this was the first generation Air. Or the fifth generation iPad, if you will.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #72 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd wish iCloud would sync Safari History across all devices, but alas, only tabs, reading list and bookmarks.

Maybe not be such a great idea if you're sharing a device, e.g., considering what may, or may not, be on one's History!

How hard?
Regardless of the caveat above, you actually CAN synchronise Safari Tabs by turning on iCloud Safari sharing, then you can access the (cumulative) Tabs by hitting the bookmarks symbol and looking in a folder on the list called iCloud Tabs. 

post #73 of 170
I've had my Air since walking out of my local Apple Store at 8:10am on Friday & as I'm in Aus that makes me one of the first I guess to get my hands on it. (I had a one hour wait in the queue & got a free coffee a bottled water paid for by Apple! How good is that?!!)

I'm flummoxed to work out how it's 5.4 X faster than my iPad 3 though. It is noticeably faster but not 5.4 X faster! Can anyone advise on what activities I could try to test its increased speed?

I do have a problem with a lot of the reviews though. They just don't address the issues that most concern me. For me, I was hankering to upgrade to the Air due to these 4 main shortcomings of my iPad 3:

1) the Safari tab reload shortcoming. This is a big issue for me but unhappily no difference at all with the iPad Air as compared to the 3. :-(

2) lag time with OS animations, web page scrolling, app boot-ups etc. Noticeably improved/solved with iPad Air! :-)

3) Battery life. Quite a bit better but not to the extent I'd like. I'd rather an iPad that was twice as heavy if it had twice the battery life!! (I feel like I'm a voice in the wilderness on this one. Does no one feel likewise?)

4) Battery recharge time. Much better actually. The more efficient hardware allows a smaller battery which is therefore quicker to fully recharge. This, along with the 12 Watt charger, makes it much quicker to recharge than the 3. The Air even restarts from powered down & completely flat within a minute or so! I recharged both my 3 & my Air from completely flat and by the time my Air was 94% my 3 was only at 66%. So that's a big grin on that front from me! :-))

Of course, the niggling software issues with spellcheck, app crashes (both Safari & Notes(!) have crashed so far, along with a few others) and a few new odd bugs, all remain. I wish Apple would respond to these which I've logged with then via their feedback page over the years. :-(

I'm happy with the form factor but it lacks the heft & solidity of, my personal favourite (remember I don't care about the weight much, if at all), the original 2010 iPad. The softly curved edges don't cut into my fingers and thumbs so I'm happy with that.

Apple needs to add more RAM to the SoC next time, and they need to finally get those OS/software issues solved.
post #74 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Fifth generation Air? Last time it checked, this was the first generation Air. Or the fifth generation iPad, if you will.

"I helped my brother Jack, off a horse"
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Maybe not be such a great idea if you're sharing a device, e.g., considering what may, or may not, be on one's History!

How hard?

Regardless of the caveat above, you actually CAN synchronise Safari Tabs by turning on iCloud Safari sharing, then you can access the (cumulative) Tabs by hitting the bookmarks symbol and looking in a folder on the list called iCloud Tabs. 

That's Bookmarks and Tabs; not History. Besides, whenever a friends' kid is using my Mac/phone/pad, I don't have anything to hide. It's History syncing I'd like. The other 2 options aI already use. Quite often.
post #75 of 170

"Apple gave it a slightly higher clock speed at 3.9GHz, or 100Mhz faster than the 5s."

say what?!

Try 1.4GHz instead!

post #76 of 170
Quote:

The chips don’t exist.

Sure they do, the samsung S4 has it. https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4335 but I believe the iPad is still faster.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #77 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am surprised you guys continued to feed that troll instead of ignore him. Saw the iPad Air last night and you do need to hold it to believe it. It was like holding the mini for the first time compared to the brick of the prior iPads. I am considering selling my iPad mini for the Air, because the Air is as beautiful as the mini and only slightly heavier, but not by much. Easily held with one hand. The A7 in the Air is so fast, especially compared to the A5.

Since I'm still waiting on my iPad Air (here tomorrow hopefully) I went down to Best Buy to check them out. I was pretty amazed at how light it is. I'm upgrading from an iPad 3 so the weight and speed blew me away. Best tablet on the market by a wide margin. 

post #78 of 170

Browsing History is indeed a step up in 'risk' from Tabs and I think Apple is conservative when it comes to potential privacy issues with a default-install application.

Google is far less cautious when it comes to "sharing" their users' private details! I certainly wouldn't, but no doubt you could share your Browsing History by using Chrome or Firefox (?) 

post #79 of 170
Quote:

Typical troll nonsense. It never has and never will be a big deal on tablets that actually sell.

No one cares.

I'd quite like it.  

The Windows 8 concept of 1/3 and 2/3 apps is decent, though not good enough to make me prefer the Surface over an iPad.  Having a drawer with Mail, or Twitter, or iMessage updating live would be quite handy, rather than having to flick between apps manually.

I think pretending that the iPad is 100% feature complete, perfect, and beyond criticism is pretty trollish too.

censored

censored

post #80 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Off topic, but I was reminded while texting on my new Air how much I dislike the default behavior of spellcheck when it skips a space after inserting the word. More often than not I have to then backspace to get rid of the space in order to put the ending on the word (e.g. "ing" "ed") or some punctuation or another. Would save me time to just insert my own space before the next word if I need it. Am I alone on this?

This is usually down to bad typing. You should reset the keyboard dictionary in Settings and start typing more slowly and deliberately.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air