or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production

Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production

post #1 of 62
It was announced on Monday that Apple will build a new advanced sapphire manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona, bringing a portion of its device production back to the United States.

Touch ID

The announcement came from Arizona Governor Jan Brewer, who highlighted (PDF) Apple's latest initiative as a growth driver for the state. Brewer said the project will create at least 700 "quality" jobs in the first year alone, as well as an additional 1,300 construction jobs associated with the facility's construction.

"Apple is indisputably one of the world's most innovative companies and I'm thrilled to welcome them to Arizona," Brewer said. "Apple will have an incredibly positive economic impact for Arizona and its decision to locate here speaks volumes about the friendly, pro-business climate we have been creating these past four years. Their investment in renewable energy will also be greening our power grid, and creating significant new solar and geothermal power sources for the state."

GT Advanced Technologies will manufacture sapphire material on the Arizona site. Apple made a prepayment of $578 million for the build, which GT Advanced will reimburse in full starting in 2015.

In 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he wanted to bring back some of the company's outsourced manufacturing jobs to the U.S. Currently, Apple's East Asian partner manufacturers, like Foxconn and Pegatron, build a lion's share of devices.

It was reported in June that Apple would hand off manufacture of the upcoming Mac Pro to Flextronics, which would in turn assemble the desktop on U.S. shores.

With today's news, Apple is no longer being coy in its belief that sapphire is a material of choice for certain applications. Questions remain as to what parts will be manufactured at the Arizona plant, though Apple currently uses the material as a cover glass for the iPhone 5s' Touch ID fingerprint sensor, as well as the handset's rear-facing camera.
post #2 of 62
I wonder how they are going to make that work with the difference in wages between USA workers and overseas. But I'm certainly glad to see anything coming back to America.
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #3 of 62
Mesa, Arizona needs way more than 700 permanent jobs.
post #4 of 62
What a shame to have such a global company have its return to the US be to land of we hate immigrants and the backyard of the likes of Sheriff Arpaio.
post #5 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

I wonder how they are going to make that work with the difference in wages between USA workers and overseas. But I'm certainly glad to see anything coming back to America.

More automation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pI5450 View Post

What a shame to have such a global company have its return to the US be to land of we hate immigrants and the backyard of the likes of Sheriff Arpaio.

They hate immigrants in Arizona? So all Irish, Chinese, Canadians, Brits, Africans, etc. who have gone there have faced discrimination? I thought it was the "undocumented immigrant" that was the issue.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 62
Quote:

That is offensive. I don't know anyone who hates immigrants. We are a nation built on immigrants. 

post #8 of 62
Didn't take long for someone to turn this into a political issue. But if we're going to go there, perhaps Arizona, like Texas has a more friendly business climate than, say California?
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Didn't take long for someone to turn this into a political issue. But if we're going to go there, perhaps Arizona, like Texas has a more friendly business climate than, say California?

"Apple’s investment in Arizona is the latest in a growing line of companies that have taken notice of Arizona’s strong pro-business tax and regulatory environment, and the highly skilled, quality workforce that is available -- all of which have positioned Arizona as the best state in the country to do business."

http://azgovernor.gov/dms/upload/PR_110413_Apple.pdf 

post #10 of 62

It's not a wage difference that's keeping manufacturers out of the states.  Apple themselves have state this.  We don't have the facilities here, and there is a significant tax advantage to keeping manufacturing overseas.  I'm 99% positive this is Apple's way of creating their own loophole in order to bring their offshore money back home without being taxed on it.

post #11 of 62
Quote:

Well, that’s the $64,000.00 question isn’t it. Let’s see if all those consumers lamenting the exodus of American jobs to China will put their money where their mouths are. Let’s see if they will pay more for an American made product like they say they will. It would really frost their cakes if Apple somehow figured out how to make iPhones and iPads totally automated, using human labor just to monitor and maintain the machines. 

post #12 of 62

Where does Apple purchase this glass now? 

If it is to be used as the front glass, as some suggest, then it may be a neutral cost benefit as the current Gorilla Glass is manufactured in the U.S., correct? 

I also hope this will be used for the internal lens elements as they are still plastic. 

post #13 of 62

You can be a lawful immigrant in Arizona and still get crapped on.  http://www.statepress.com/2013/10/02/arizona-dreamers-still-unable-to-receive-drivers-licenses/  

post #14 of 62

That makes no sense.  Apple is based in California.  

post #15 of 62
Quote:

You can be a lawful immigrant in Arizona and still get crapped on.  http://www.statepress.com/2013/10/02/arizona-dreamers-still-unable-to-receive-drivers-licenses/  

You can be a citizen and still get crapped on. Doesn't mean they hate you. And what is a DREAMer anyway? 

post #16 of 62
Quote:

Because a company can only hire people from within their own State? Apple has facilities in other States and it is a common business practice. 

post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Yah I know, you’re right. Apple is just one of those loser companies that can’t do anything right. By the way, how do you even get through the day with that downer attitude of yours? Life must suck for you. I can just see the plaque hanging in your hallway. “Life’s a Bitch and then You Die.”

post #18 of 62
Quote:

You can be a lawful immigrant in Arizona and still get crapped on.  http://www.statepress.com/2013/10/02/arizona-dreamers-still-unable-to-receive-drivers-licenses

Oooo, we got us a real live activist here. Joined just to tell us how evil Apple is by opening a plant in Arizona.

post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More automation.

No they won't. They'll offset the cost as part of R&D.

People are under the extreme delusion that robotic fully automated manufacturing, instead of mixed-use human/robotic symbiotic relationships is the present and future roads in manufacturing.

The 130 pairs of hands in a modern and robust Taiwan manufacturing facility for the iPhone isn't due to TSMC and others not having the latest in robotic automation processing. It's the human factors engineering part of the equation that will never change.

post #20 of 62
It's about the money....Apple needs to do something with all its cash before the shareholders get too upset....

But why build in the USA... I thought Apple told the US it did not have the infrastructure to support Apple manufacturing.... it was not the line workers that was the issue since we have ample high school dropouts, but the real problem was trying to get engineering staff in both sufficient quantity and quality that can work under the pressure they put on the overseas facilities.....
post #21 of 62
Quote:

I happen to think that pink underwear is awesome, and that Sheriff Arpaio is a stand up guy.

I am glad to see Apple doing business in Arizona. And there's nothing wrong with immigrants, but illegals on the other hand are no good, and should be removed.

post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskeverything View Post

It's about the money....Apple needs to do something with all its cash before the shareholders get too upset....

But why build in the USA... I thought Apple told the US it did not have the infrastructure to support Apple manufacturing.... it was not the line workers that was the issue since we have ample high school dropouts, but the real problem was trying to get engineering staff in both sufficient quantity and quality that can work under the pressure they put on the overseas facilities.....

I believe crystal growing, cutting and lapping have been an American specialty since the 1960s. Not that other countries haven't developed it, just that the silicon trade, for example, was never completely abandoned by US companies. Lots of knowlege base to draw on, I think.
post #23 of 62
Quote:

This isn’t hand assembly of +150M mobile devices per year. It’s a factory that grows crystals. 

The reason Apple is manufacturing in China is speed of ramping up production of tens of millions of new devices. That’s not a problem here, or in the glass Corning builds for Apple in KY, or the chips Samsung builds for Apple in Texas, or the Mac Pros Apple will assemble in its own plants. Apple isn’t going to be cranking out 100 million Mac Pros. They are going to be building ~100 thousands, a very different scale by 1000x.

America doesn’t need manual jobs for newly emerging peasant class. The poor in the US are all on welfare or federal disability (an insane 10% in the South!). They’re not going to get factory jobs. The US needs high education / STEM jobs.

Unfortunately, the Red States that erased their worst unemployment problems by shifting laid off workers to federal disability programs are now trying to disband the federal government so they can set up a Big Church taliban and return to illegal abortions and eventually the restoration of slavery. 

post #24 of 62
Quote:

They hate immigrants in Arizona? So all Irish, Chinese, Canadians, Brits, Africans, etc. who have gone there have faced discrimination? I thought it was the "undocumented immigrant" that was the issue.

irish, canadian, brits, maybe not.

Africans, yes.

Chinese, yes.

They hate undocumented non-white people so much that documented non-white people feel the wrath.

post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I happen to think that pink underwear is awesome, and that Sheriff Arpaio is a stand up guy.

I am glad to see Apple doing business in Arizona. And there's nothing wrong with immigrants, but illegals on the other hand are no good, and should be removed.

Jesus and his parents were undocumented 'illegal' aliens for the first years of his life.  Sometimes the moral thing to do is leave one country for the survival of your family.  

post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

This isn’t hand assembly of +150M mobile devices per year. It’s a factory that grows crystals. 

The reason Apple is manufacturing in China is speed of ramping up production of tens of millions of new devices. That’s not a problem here, or in the glass Corning builds for Apple in KY, or the chips Samsung builds for Apple in Texas, or the Mac Pros Apple will assemble in its own plants. Apple isn’t going to be cranking out 100 million Mac Pros. They are going to be building ~100 thousands, a very different scale by 1000x.

America doesn’t need manual jobs for newly emerging peasant class. The poor in the US are all on welfare or federal disability (an insane 10% in the South!). They’re not going to get factory jobs. The US needs high education / STEM jobs.

Unfortunately, the Red States that erased their worst unemployment problems by shifting laid off workers to federal disability programs are now trying to disband the federal government so they can set up a Big Church taliban and return to illegal abortions and eventually the restoration of slavery. 

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #27 of 62
Quote:

Samsung recently bought 7.4% of Corning Glass to spy on Apple, thats why Apple is diversifying. Arizona is going blue in the next 4-8 years anyway, the Republicans love low wages more than they hate brown skin people, Cinco de Mayo baby!

Edited by Danox - 11/4/13 at 4:11pm
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

That is offensive. I don't know anyone who hates immigrants. We are a nation built on immigrants. 

err.. actually the US was built on the backs of African slaves, who had no choice in the matter.  

And a lot of white people still hate non-white people, and they feel they can define 'whiteness' based on a social norm. (italian americans weren't considered white for the longest time by federal statute, nor were (are?) Iranians... who by definition are the basis of whiteness (Iranian is derived from the same root as Aryan).

post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

700 at a time is a good number.  

Apple is doing the what it can, which isn't much.  I'm a recovering capitalist, and I see Apple like any corporate giant.  They'd love to make all their phones in countries where they are sold, but most countries aren't set up to make that profitable (or 'as profitable'.)    You can't complain about a $500 stock price  being too low, and a $399 ipad mini being too high, and then say Apple isn't hiring enough Americans for it's factories.  Something has to give.

post #30 of 62
Do other companies opening manufacturing facilities in the US get such negative responses? I saw this as a positive move for the US, Arizona and Apple.
post #31 of 62
Quote:

If you've priced commercial real estate in Silicon Valley recently, it makes a lot of sense.  With tech companies gobbling up every newly vacated building as they become available and driving prices into the stratosphere, low margin component manufacturing just isn't feasible in that part of the world.  In Mesa, Apple is refitting an abandoned solar panel factory for another company to make sapphire glass ingots.  It's high tech materials and processes, but the margins will be low.  Besides, GT Advanced Technology is already located in Arizona. 

There's a reason why Apple is spending~$4 billion on its new Cupertino headquarters, and leaving component manufacturing to other areas. 

post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Jesus and his parents were undocumented 'illegal' aliens for the first years of his life.  Sometimes the moral thing to do is leave one country for the survival of your family.  

Jesus has as much relevance to the topic as Bilbo Baggins does, in other words not much.

The illegals here aren't fleeing from some life threatening situation in their home country, they're here to commit fraud and make a quick buck. An illegal has as much integrity as a bank robber.

post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Questions remain as to what parts will be manufactured at the Arizona plant, though Apple currently uses the material as a cover glass for the iPhone 5s' Touch ID fingerprint sensor, as well as the handset's rear-facing camera.

What's with the 'though' there?

Shouldn't it be written like this?

Questions remain as to what parts will be manufactured at the Arizona plant. Apple currently uses the material as the glass shield for the Touch ID sensor and the rear-facing camera on the iPhone 5s, and previously the camera shield on the iPhone 5.
Edited by Ireland - 11/4/13 at 4:35pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

err.. actually the US was built on the backs of African slaves, who had no choice in the matter.  

And a lot of white people still hate non-white people, and they feel they can define 'whiteness' based on a social norm. (italian americans weren't considered white for the longest time by federal statute, nor were (are?) Iranians... who by definition are the basis of whiteness (Iranian is derived from the same root as Aryan).

First, the absurd assertion that America was built by slaves is laughable, and screams of left wing propaganda education. 

You can find any group who hates other groups, but equally absurd that you suggest only whites discriminate and your implication that there is a huge group of whites that hate non-whites. Every groups has those that hate outside groups, that is the human nature. 

Your grievance industry mentality has no merit!  

post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswellington View Post

It's not a wage difference that's keeping manufacturers out of the states.  Apple themselves have state this.  We don't have the facilities here, and there is a significant tax advantage to keeping manufacturing overseas.  I'm 99% positive this is Apple's way of creating their own loophole in order to bring their offshore money back home without being taxed on it.

Not possible unless the tax laws change.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 62
Quote:

Not possible unless the tax laws change.

How is it a Korean company Samsung builds every cpu in a Apple phone in the US still (there is no excuse for Apple to not do the same with CPU's, LCD's etc...). Samsung has being stealing too much to let go on forever. The German/Japanese car makers still built most of their cars in their home country, (all of the really high dollar profitable stuff), the countries that still built things are doing better than the paper stuffing countries UK., Ireland, Spain etc... PS the CEO's in Germany and Japan get paid a lot less in comparison to their American counterparts.

post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Wow this post here might swear me off AI forever. How sad that this thread had to turn into political bull shit. 1oyvey.gif
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Jesus has as much relevance to the topic as Bilbo Baggins does, in other words not much.

The illegals here aren't fleeing from some life threatening situation in their home country, they're here to commit fraud and make a quick buck. An illegal has as much integrity as a bank robber.

Oh get realistic.  If you lived in any country in Central America, Mexico, or South America, and were not born into the ruling classes of whatever country, you would do whatever it took to get to America....legally or illegally.  They just want to escape poverty and come to a land where free enterprise is still permitted.  Someplace where a dream can still be fulfilled.  They are not scum.  They just want a chance.

Now, that said, I still think we ought to deport them simply because they are here illegally.

And of course we have California where they get free schooling, drivers licenses, and the laws do not even prohibit them from voting.

SkyKing
SkyKing
post #39 of 62
Wonder how Gov. Jan feels about Apple's support for anti-discrimination laws for LGBT folks. Guess she can make moral compromises when it comes to taking credit for more jobs.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #40 of 62
Quote:

Now, that said, I still think we ought to deport them simply because they are here illegally.

And of course we have California where they get free schooling, drivers licenses, and the laws do not even prohibit them from voting.
Guess it's the least we can do for those from whom we stole the place. We gave Native Americans the gambling concession for essentially the same reason. Justice? Guilt? Take your pick.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production