or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production

Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Mesa, Arizona needs way more than 700 permanent jobs.

So what? In the mean time, just say, "Thank you!" It's not up to Apple alone to cure all of Arizona's woes.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #42 of 62

Apple is not evil. Jan Brewer and people who have the same mentality as her, are!

post #43 of 62

Apple curing their Samsung problem.

post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More automation.

Which is why Apple needs trained engineers and technicians to design, build, operate, and maintain the robots and processes. Almost anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence and dedication to learn can prepare for such jobs. The laggards who've been fired from menial labor or legacy factory jobs who refuse to learn and get qualified for this new demand deserve their self-precipitated fates.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wonder how Gov. Jan feels about Apple's support for anti-discrimination laws for LGBT folks. Guess she can make moral compromises when it comes to taking credit for more jobs.

Jan looks kinda manly, she's going to be in a picture with Tim holding hands.

post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Which is why Apple needs trained engineers and technicians to design, build, operate, and maintain the robots and processes. Almost anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence and dedication to learn can prepare for such jobs. The laggards who've been fired from menial labor or legacy factory jobs who refuse to learn and get qualified for this new demand deserve their self-precipitated fates.

Do you live in the panhandle part? Wow...

post #47 of 62
Feed the Red state. Does that job come with Obamacare?

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The illegals here aren't fleeing from some life threatening situation in their home country, they're here to commit fraud and make a quick buck. An illegal has as much integrity as a bank robber.

So, starving to death is not a "life threatening situation"???

Then you think they risk their lives to come here for two reasons:

(1) To commit fraud. "Si amigo, let us swim a polluted river, and crawl miles across a dessert so we can commit fraud. That would be beeg fun, no?"

(2) To "make a fast buck." How absurd. They come here to work their balls off doing the kinds of hard jobs few citizens want to do for minimum wages. You call that a fast buck, then what do you call what the Wall Street Bankers were doing while they were screwing over you and me and the financial health of America???

So, you think these people you have never met, lack integrity? They work harder than you ever have for minimum wages, have taxes and social security deducted from their pay... knowing full well that they will never collect the social security or file for a refund on the taxes. However, they do know that they will be able to feed their family and live to labor another day.

The factory Apple is setting up in Arizona will be filled with highly skilled and highly educated citizens, if any of these illegals get a job there, it will be doing some kind of dirty hard manual labor, like swabbing out the toilets during the night shift.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They hate immigrants in Arizona? So all Irish, Chinese, Canadians, Brits, Africans, etc. who have gone there have faced discrimination? I thought it was the "undocumented immigrant" that was the issue.
no I was living in Arizona for a year an a us citizen there racist over there an I'm Mexican
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

err.. actually the US was built on the backs of African slaves, who had no choice in the matter.  

And a lot of white people still hate non-white people, and they feel they can define 'whiteness' based on a social norm. (italian americans weren't considered white for the longest time by federal statute, nor were (are?) Iranians... who by definition are the basis of whiteness (Iranian is derived from the same root as Aryan).

Nice post but it's a waste of time, trying to bring intelligent and highly educated points of view to such discussions. You might as well try to convince these folks that evolution is true!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #51 of 62
More than likely the plant is being built in the US to keep this state-of-the-art technology out of the hands of the copycat Asian countries of Korea and China. You simply don't place your technology Crown Jewels there. Further, Apple is probably also tying up the capacity for manufacturing these specialized furnaces, thus keeping them out of competitors' hands, just like they did with the computerized milling machines for making aluminum unibodies. The scale at which they operate is unprecedented in the manufacturing world. One of the reasons it has been so difficult to unplug from Samesung.
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Mesa, Arizona needs way more than 700 permanent jobs.

OK. So what are you planning to do about that? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So, starving to death is not a "life threatening situation" in your pea-brain mind???

Then you think they risk their lives to come here for two reasons:

(1) To commit fraud. "Si amigo, let us swim a polluted river, and crawl miles across a dessert so we can commit fraud. That would be beeg fun, no?"

(2) To "make a fast buck." How absurd. They come here to work their balls off doing the kinds of hard jobs few citizens want to do for minimum wages. You call that a fast buck, then what do you call what the Wall Street Bankers were doing while they were screwing over you and me and the financial health of America???

So, you think these people you have never met, lack integrity? They work harder than you ever have for minimum wages, have taxes and social security deducted from their pay... knowing full well that they will never collect the social security or file for a refund on the taxes. However, they do know that they will be able to feed their family and live to labor another day.

The factory Apple is setting up in Arizona will be filled with highly skilled and highly educated citizens, if any of these illegals get a job there, it will be doing some kind of dirty hard manual labor, like swabbing out the toilets during the night shift.

You and other ignoramuses can make all of the excuses that you like for the criminals, but that doesn't change the fact that they are here illegally. 

And no, they should not even be able to get a job scrubbing the toilets in Apple's factory, since Apple doesn't run a criminal enterprise.

post #54 of 62
Okay, let me see if I get this right. Apple plunks down 500 mil to pay for the factory, then GTAT pays them back in the next few years beginning '15. in other words, Apple gets one helluva rebate! Well it's Mesa, Arizona after all, the rebate capital of the USA.
Edited by tundraboy - 11/5/13 at 9:33am
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You and other ignoramuses can make all of the excuses that you like for the criminals, but that doesn't change the fact that they are here illegally. 

Unlike C. Columbus who was issued a valid immigrant visa by the local inhabitants when he reached the Americas, huh?
post #56 of 62

I am losing respect for a lot of the people posting on this thread, who have demonstrated various bigoted views while diverging into topics that are totally irrelevant.  Can we please be respectful and stick to business-oriented issues?

post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Okay, let me see if I get this right. Apple plunks down 500 mil to pay for the factory, then GTAT pays them back in the next few years beginning '15. in other words, Apple gets one helluva rebate! Well it's Mesa, Arizona after all.

On one hand 500 million seems like a lot of money to spend to get a leg up on the competition and improve the serviceability of one's product, how ever it pales in comparison for what Google got for like twenty times as much: a money-losing factory full of tired drones.
post #58 of 62

Before you start saying how backwards the state of Arizona is as far as tech firms go, why don't you look at what Intel has for facilities in the neighboring city of Chandler. I think that with their new fab plant set to open that they will have about 15,000 employees in Chandler. BTW I believe that Intels investment in their new facility will be around $8 billion. As far as Joe Arpaio the sheriff of Maricopa County goes his force is around 30% hispanic.  Which probably mimics the ethnic breakdown of the county. I would like to think that Apple chose to open a plant there is a lower cost of doing business there, such as energy, taxes, proximity to raw materials, a good transportation network, etc. Having moved to the central part of Arizona 8 1/2 years ago, I have found the state to be split down the middle equally as far as both right, and leftwing partisans go. There is a lot more to this state than desert, tumbleweeds, and giant saguaro cactus, which is what many of the supposedly smarter individuals think. As far as the city of Mesa, there are a couple of other "small" manufacturing  companies such as TRW, and Boeing that have plants there. So I guess that they too are backwards, and racist also. 

post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

I wonder how they are going to make that work with the difference in wages between USA workers and overseas. But I'm certainly glad to see anything coming back to America.

The difference in wages was not the reason Apple said they manufacture in China. It's about procurement and assembly. If all the parts are made in China because the US followed a Conservative policy OF NOT protecting manufacturing, then any component missing means it takes more time to assemble.

Since a Sapphire screen would not depend on other components, it can be in stock where the device is assembled. It helps that they don't have too many screen sizes.

If the US started adding tariffs again to pay for the loss in jobs -- we'd suddenly see more manufacturing here. Ignoring "but we will be less competitive" when we are losing trade to countries that have tariffs is the first step towards being more intelligent in trade.

post #60 of 62

In defense of people with a bad impression of Arizona -- I'd have to say that if you put a cork in some of the representatives in that state who make incredibly stupid comments, it might improve the image. Of course all these morons are Republican -- but is that the fault of people with a bad impression, is that partisanship or is it because they elect morons in that party in Arizona?

post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

In defense of people with a bad impression of Arizona -- I'd have to say that if you put a cork in some of the representatives in that state who make incredibly stupid comments, it might improve the image. Of course all these morons are Republican -- but is that the fault of people with a bad impression, is that partisanship or is it because they elect morons in that party in Arizona?

If we put a cork in the mouth of all politicians, the news cycle would collapse to 1/2 a day lol 

post #62 of 62

Maybe Black Mesa?  That was a joke.  Ha ha. Fat chance.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to open U.S. manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona for sapphire material production