or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
Longtime Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is currently testing a new, large-format iPad with the purportedly king-sized device slated to debut next spring, according to a new report out of Mainland China.

iPad Air
Many believe the new iPad Air could be joined by a larger-screened sibling as soon as next year.


The tablet would sport a display diagonal of either 11.4 or 12.9 inches and is in an advanced stage of testing, according to Chinese tablet news site PadNews. The site says Apple could be targeting a March 2014 unveiling.

Rumors and predictions have been swirling around what many journalists have dubbed the "iPad maxi" for months. In July, the normally reliable Wall Street Journal got into the game, saying that sources indicated to the paper that Apple has prototyped a new category of iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally."

The Journal's report was followed in September by word from a different Chinese publication that Apple had a 12-inch iPad in the works with another old collaborator, Quanta Computer. Among others, Quanta has had a hand in manufacturing iPods and recent MacBook Air units for Apple.

Analysts also expect to see a scaled-up iPad. Following the unveiling of the 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s, Barclays Capital's Ben A. Reitzes made the case for a 13-inch iPad with a convertible clamshell form factor, saying that considerations for such a device may have spurred the seemingly early shift to a 64-bit architecture for iOS devices.
post #2 of 80

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

post #3 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post
 

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

How is a 12inch tablet unusable?  It's just slightly larger than the current model.

 

A touchscreen laptop makes less sense.  You have a gesture track pad which covers the entire screen with small finger/hand movements rather than arm/hand/finger movement.

post #4 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.
So that's why Tim Cook calls PC land confused, because Apple is going to copy them? 1oyvey.gif
post #5 of 80
An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X apps on a touchscreen would totally rock.

Apple's long experience with cross-platform code compilation means such a device would be a game changer that would leave intel out of the picture...
post #6 of 80

First iPad Air, next iPad Pro...

post #7 of 80

It has WSJ in it.

nothing to see here folks.

post #8 of 80

iPad Pro

A7X

Touch ID

12 inch screen

12 hour battery

$799 - 32GB

$899 - 64GB

$999 - 128GB

$1099 - 256GB

post #9 of 80

Not likely, but I'd like to see a larger iPhone screen.

 

 

I'm finding it hard to browse websites on my iPhone5, they are too narrow in portrait mode and too shallow in landscape. I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh!

 

Since I got myself into this topic.  I'm also frustrated by iOS7's video player's large, intrusive, opaque play/pause controls yet tiny shuffle/volume sliders. Really Jony? What happened to the 44 pixel rule in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines?!

bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #10 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X apps on a touchscreen would totally rock.

Apple's long experience with cross-platform code compilation means such a device would be a game changer that would leave intel out of the picture...

OS X... not gonna happen (soon).   at least not in a 'my mother's iPad and Mac merging into one' pleasing sort of way (to my mother).

a VDI... for sure... that exists now.

 

The inverse will happen at least on a small scale.  A-Series chips will replace X86 (intel may still be in the picture... but not at the x86 premiums).  Changing the computer is a heckuva lot easier than changing the UX of OSX apps.

 

It's all about the expected interface.

post #11 of 80
Why else would the name the iPad the iPad Air.... Prolly because they have plans to use the iPad name for something else. I dont need a rumor to tell me the obvious.
post #12 of 80

12 inch screen

256 GB

Touch ID

AX7

$1099

post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

How is a 12inch tablet unusable?  It's just slightly larger than the current model.

 

A touchscreen laptop makes less sense.  You have a gesture track pad which covers the entire screen with small finger/hand movements rather than arm/hand/finger movement.

 

A 13" tablet with a keyboard cover and added multitasking capability is creeping into laptop territory. Will it be called iPad Pro?

post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post
 

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

 

While I seriously doubt any rumor that appears this early, I'd snarf this up the first morning. About half of my iPad consumption is reading books. A larger size would allow me to push even more work to the iPad (VNC just doesn't cut it at current size.)

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disruption View Post
 

First iPad Air, next iPad Pro...

This is conceivable.

 

I think the MBA 11" is next on the chopping block (and the 13" Macbook Pro  nonRD).  

by 2015 I wouldn't be surprised to see

 

4" iphone 5s

6" iphone 6

8" iPad Mini RD

10" Ipad Air (rd)

12" Ipad Pro (rd)

13" MacBook Air

13" MacBook Pro (rd)

15" Macbook Pro (rd)

21" iMac

27" iMac

27" iMac Pro (4K)

Mac Mini 

Mac Pro  (4K)

27" Cinema Display (4K)

40" Cinema display (4K)

Apple TV 3 (4K)

 

This is a simple and compelling product swath

post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

12 inch screen

256 GB

Touch ID

AX7

$1099

 

At that cost, I'd expect more. Using Dropbox to xfer non-iCloud content sucks. USB would be enough.

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

12 inch screen

256 GB

Touch ID

AX7

$1099

too much... 

12" 

128GB  (256GB  it too much for a company that is driving to a cloud storage model)

Touch ID

 

No more than $999... it will replace the MBA 11" in the price point range.

and 899 for a 64GB model.

Question would be would they build a 32GB model?  So you have .99(5c)  99(6c) 199((6c/6s)  299 (6s/Mini)  399(MiniRD,old Air 16) 499(new TouchID Air16) 599(New Air32) 699 (new Air64) 799(new air128/Pro32) 899(pro64) 999(pro 128) 1099 (MBA13/128)

 

This again is a compelling product swath with cross over points.   Apple will take whatever wad of cash you have and sell you something;-)


Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 11/5/13 at 9:52am
post #18 of 80

I think a larger iPad would be harder to navigate and would therefore affect user experience.

The larger screen might be for a new laptop running an A7, A7s, or an A8 processor :)))

bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #19 of 80
Do people really think that Apple is going to no longer make a BootCamp / OSX compatible device in the 11" MBA size???
post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

OS X... not gonna happen (soon).   at least not in a 'my mother's iPad and Mac merging into one' pleasing sort of way (to my mother).
a VDI... for sure... that exists now.

The inverse will happen at least on a small scale.  A-Series chips will replace X86 (intel may still be in the picture... but not at the x86 premiums).  Changing the computer is a heckuva lot easier than changing the UX of OSX apps.

It's all about the expected interface.

We already have a "virtual" iPad running in OS X in Xcode.

I'm thinking of a "Mac Pad Air" that is primarily an OS X device, but also running iOS apps, using one of apple's Ax processors.

Primary UI would be OS X, and then iOS apps could run in a window or zoom to full screen
mode much like windows does in parallels.
post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

too much... 

12" 

128GB  (256GB  it too much for a company that is driving to a cloud storage model)

Touch ID

No more than $999... it will replace the MBA 11" in the price point range.

 

good point. I guess was mislead by the Woz who doesn't have wifi.

 

$999 for 128GB is only $200 more than Air.  Seems to cheap to add AX7, Touch ID, and larger screen.

post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

Do people really think that Apple is going to no longer make a BootCamp / OSX compatible device in the 11" MBA size???

Apple would keep the "windows compatible" rMBP around for the suits, but would be perfectly happy to have the "coolest" iThing NOT windows compatible.

After all, windows is not "post-PC era" in Apple's eyes, it's old school. They'll drive any nail possible into its coffin.
post #23 of 80

I'm digg'n it! I could def. use a large iPad for one-on-one presentations and for just sitting on my couch.

 

Don't everyone get mad...

 

...but a friend of my is visiting and she has an old Kindle....it's got this pseudo soft suede backing on it. I would like something similar on the iPads. Wouldn't need to add a "thick" case.

 

I remember the first iPhone, it was like holding a bar of soap! :)

post #24 of 80
Does anyone else think they should call it the MaxiPad?
post #25 of 80

Apple does not change names for no reason.  

 

So when the 11" iPad changed its name to iPad Air - the next 12" or so tablet might be something that replaces the MacBook, called iPad and features the rumored removable Keyboard-Cover and Touch-ID. My guess.

post #26 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Apple would keep the "windows compatible" rMBP around for the suits, but would be perfectly happy to have the "coolest" iThing NOT windows compatible.

After all, windows is not "post-PC era" in Apple's eyes, it's old school. They'll drive any nail possible into its coffin.

Then I will have no choice but to buy a PC laptop (ultra-book) again. That would be very disappointing.

There is a lot of legacy Windows software I need for my job. I prefer OSX for everything else but I'm stuck with needing Windows and I want an ultra-portable like the 11" MBA.

I guess I'm a dinosaur. 1smile.gif
Edited by iRun262 - 11/5/13 at 8:38am
post #27 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
 

I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh!

Couldn't agree more.

 

The UI for iOS7 Safari for the iPhone is really clunky/crappy.

post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Couldn't agree more.

 

The UI for iOS7 Safari for the iPhone is really clunky/crappy.

I am pretty sure the navigation only goes away if you are inactive for a long time and come back if you tap the screen.

and control center

->requires 2 swipes up in app to open

->can be turned off.

you're welcome


Edited by bananaman - 11/5/13 at 9:11am
post #29 of 80

March.

 

iPad Pro

4k Retina Display

4GB Ram

Dual A7X 

TouchID

12.9" 

Same design as current iPad Air. 

IOS 7 but new apps released: Aperture, Final Cut and Logic for IOS. 

Expect partnership with Adobe and Autodesk for more professional software.

 

No 4K iTunes content though, that will be reserved until we ship Apple Television in September. 

post #30 of 80
In time yes, the year will be 2015 in time for A9 chips.
post #31 of 80
Stockbroker to WSJ editor: We need to manipulate AAPL share price, clients are furious about low returns
WSJ editor to journalist: I know, We will create a false rumor about some new product
Stockbroker to WSJ editor: Wait we will buy some PUTs first
WSJ editor: We will come up with a great piece
WSJ editor: hangs up
WSJ editor: Get me that douche technerd jornalist

Douchebag techy: Yes sir
WSJ editor: We need a new rumor about some fictitious Apple product
Douchebag techy: Again sir?
WSJ editor: YES
Douchebag techy: okay
WSJ editor: I need 500 words by this afternoon
Douchebag techy: at once sir!
WSJ editor: Oh and I need one article a week , one for and one against with the usual dire predictions for Apple if they don't deliver as usual for the next 3 months and leak to the usual targets as well
Douchebag techy: May I buy puts as well sir
WSJ editor: of course, just like me
Douchebag techy: cool
post #32 of 80
As soon as I heard they were calling this the iPad Air I had a feeling something else was coming.
post #33 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


So that's why Tim Cook calls PC land confused, because Apple is going to copy them? 1oyvey.gif

You are going to have to try harder than that to troll.  What Cook clearly, and obviously, said is hybrid devices make neither good tablets or good laptops. 

post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post


Then I will have no choice but to buy a PC laptop (ultra-book) again. That would be very disappointing.

There is a lot of legacy Windows software I need for my job. I prefer OSX for everything else but I'm stuck with needing Windows and I want an ultra-portable like the 11" MBA.

I guess I'm a dinosaur. 1smile.gif

No, you just have low standards.  Also OS X is not going away anytime soon.

post #35 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post
 

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

A touchscreen laptop is just not going to happen.

 

Ergonomic disaster.

post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookie View Post

No, you just have low standards.  Also OS X is not going away anytime soon.

No, I have high standards. A MBA with an ARM processor is garbage. I expect a higher quality MBA than most people here that think we will get a iPad MBA combination.
post #37 of 80

13 inch iPad.  Why just a couple of inches to 12?  Make a 13 incher.  More compelling size leap.

 

8, 10 and 13 inches.  For iPad.

 

4 and 5 and 6 inches for iPhone.

 

3 sizes of each covers all bases.

 

Would like them to add some pen pressure sensitivity in the iPad 13 inched.  Either way, a 13 inched iPad and Procreate would rock.  A7X too...

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Not likely, but I'd like to see a larger iPhone screen.


I'm finding it hard to browse websites on my iPhone5, they are too narrow in portrait mode and too shallow in landscape. I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh!

Since I got myself into this topic.  I'm also frustrated by iOS7's video player's large, intrusive, opaque play/pause controls yet tiny shuffle/volume sliders. Really Jony? What happened to the 44 pixel rule in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines?!

I agree about the 44x44 px issue first of all... Second, if anything Apple should offer the iPad mini as a phone before they offer a 13" iPad Air.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 80
Apple could create a hybrid device if they were able to run OS X in some sort of Rosetta like way. They might need a quad core A7 to accomplish this. I could see the OS X component not being touch enable but only working with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse like Macs today. Then if you are away from your desk or on the road you could switch over to the iOS system capabilities and it becomes an iPad. As storage space increases and the A chips become more and more powerful I could see this as becoming more viable. The only problem I see is having some sort of communal storage area for pdfs ebook etc. and other docs so both systems could use them rather than having duplicate copies for each system. I know if you have wireless access you can use dropbox etc., what if you don't have wireless access. I'm sure Apple can figure something out.

I know Tim Cook said hybrids are not something Apple will do, but Jobs previously said things that they would not do that they ended up adding. Like video to the iPod and doing books.
post #40 of 80
Red herring?? Just like iWatch....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release