or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple shuts down Web-based product inventory tracking tool

Apple shuts down Web-based product inventory tracking tool - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Worm food?

It was as accurate as Apple's website

Not so in my experience. I played by the rules, checking Apple's website, coming up blank and checking this site immediately afterwards. After many tries, Mordy's site came up with the item I wanted at a store within reasonable driving distance.

Actually, I found two 5S models that I wanted, one for me and the second for my wife. At this point it gets interesting, because I suspect some possible hanky-panty by certain Apple store personnel. For my phone, a gold 64GB AT&T, the online order for store pickup was acknowledged, and within 15 minutes I got an email saying that the item was ready for my store pickup. My second order was acknowledged, but I didn't receive a pickup email. I went to the store anyway, arriving within 90 minutes of placing the orders.

They found my phone but not my wife's. When I pressed them and gave them the transaction number, they looked using their system and told me it had been "cancelled"! No explanation given! No source for the cancellation!

I was not a happy camper and made the store manager clearly aware that I thought something was not right, because I had never received any emails or other contacts saying the phone order for my wife had been cancelled. As we proceeded with finalizing purchase of the first phone, the manager showed up again with the exact phone my wife wanted and said that another customer had "cancelled" their order.

Amazing! Really?! A gold 16 GB ATT&T phone order being canceled by the buyer in mid-October, when they're scarcer than hens' teeth?! That's a pretty hard one to swallow, but I shut up and bought the second phone as long as it was being offered to me.

Of course I have no direct evidence, but it's reasonable to surmise that some little Apple "gremlin" - the two-legged kind - guessed that just possibly the two orders were duplicates and that by canceling the second order ... that single highly desirable gold phone would be available for him/her to do ... whatever.

I've kept pretty quiet about this for weeks, but with this latest customer-unfriendly move by Apple, I've decided to speak up. Maybe my conclusion about my experience is right. Or maybe I have it all wrong. I'll be happy to hear anyone else's opinion about this.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He violated their site's terms of use. As it represented a service that was needed and useful, Apple should consider making their own app that answers the same questions for consumers.

Well, they already do, since the data was pulled from their website in the first place.  The tracker site was just a lot easier and quicker.  

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Well, they already do, since the data was pulled from their website in the first place.  The tracker site was just a lot easier and quicker.  

Yes, that's the point. Ease of use.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why? It makes it easier to find ipads you want in your area? Apple shouldve built this site themselves.

Totally agree.  Why stop the information which the users are looking for and at the same time not providing the useful one-place-seeing-all info on their own website.  Bad PR.

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

its giving WRONG info.  You can tell true availablity until you put the item in your cart and check out

You mean even the apple site is giving the wrong info?  

post #46 of 49
Data on the Apple Store site is not reliable anyway. Yesterday every store was showing that the new Hue light models were in stock, yet local stores I called did not have inventory, did not know when they would have inventory, and had no idea what the products were. Apple's retail delivery is leaving a lot to be desired at the moment. If the site remains unreliable and store personnel remain uninformed (and totally indifferent), I'll be sourcing my Apple products and Hue lights through other channels. Love the brand, hate Tim Cook's inability to actually manage any aspect of the operation. It's all sliding on his watch.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4 View Post

Data on the Apple Store site is not reliable anyway. Yesterday every store was showing that the new Hue light models were in stock, yet local stores I called did not have inventory, did not know when they would have inventory, and had no idea what the products were. Apple's retail delivery is leaving a lot to be desired at the moment. If the site remains unreliable and store personnel remain uninformed (and totally indifferent), I'll be sourcing my Apple products and Hue lights through other channels. Love the brand, hate Tim Cook's inability to actually manage any aspect of the operation. It's all sliding on his watch.

Bah. I've experienced none of the "problems" you cite.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyasi View Post

I can't say I know every provision in the DMCA, but this site was copying factual information, which is not protected by copyright law under Feist. Wish he would have tested the law in court, but I know why he didn't

Really, I thought the takedown was because of this:-

Your Use of the Site. You may not use any "deep-link", "page-scrape", "robot", "spider" or other automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology, or any similar or equivalent manual process, to access, acquire, copy or monitor any portion of the Site or any Content, or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site or any Content, to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or information through any means not purposely made available through the Site. Apple reserves the right to bar any such activity.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Data is considered to be facts, and is not eligible for copyright. That's why you can't sue someone for putting your address on their web site.

This is absolutely NOT DCMAable, and the company sending out the complaint can be sued.

That's why it's a complaint about the violation of terms of use of the Web site, not a copyright complaint.  Apple has every right to disallow automated screen scraping of their Web properties, and others need to respect those rules.  Sometimes it takes a friendly letter from a lawyer to remind people of the rules.  As I said before this has almost nothing to do with the DMCA.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple shuts down Web-based product inventory tracking tool